Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is life overrated ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do you think life is mostly humdrum, monotonous affair, broken up by looking forward to the weekend, waiting for fleeting glimpses of fun, in between he tedium. When you experience things for the first time do they live up to expectations.

Or has Everything lived up to what you dreamt of as a kid, or is life essentially overrated and we’re just making are way through it ?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *_Yeah19Couple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Boring people have boring lives. Whatever you want it to be is out there, it’s mainly people are too lazy to go out there and find what they want

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Overrated.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Life's what you make it, you can live it for your work your bills your family but it's your life, do stuff, meet people, talk, laugh be disappointed yes but live it

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's unusually serious OP, hope you're ok. x

Each day is different for me. Sometimes things don't go to plan. Sometimes I don't make a plan.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No...

Ive had a great life and some great opportunities and done some amazing things along the way..

My mum always said i should write a book about my experiences..

Maybe i will one day

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think life peaks early, I long for those moments of just being in the moment and enjoying things for the first time when you’re a kid, everything’s brilliant.

Reply privately

By *electableDalliancesCouple
over a year ago

leeds

Only if you choose to live your life within these social constructs, if you feel life is pointless in the way you currently live it, change it.

Join a commune, work for the common good. Or travel the world , doing tasks for food, always moving ,experiencing all that this beautiful planet has to offer.

We are all in the boxes of our choosing.

Reply privately

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I’m very happy with what I’ve achieved so far, I love and appreciate those I have around me ..... I have a great life. No complaints here

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

We only have one life, unless you are a cat, so live it to the full is my motto

Anyone faf?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life's what you make it, you can live it for your work your bills your family but it's your life, do stuff, meet people, talk, laugh be disappointed yes but live it "

Are those the alternative lyrics to the Talk Talk song ?

Reply privately

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

As a child your ideas of how life can,should be tend to have no real concepts of what life is about. Our parents do their best to protect us from what life is all about.

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Life is fantastic .... you are the creator of it ... anything is possible ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think life peaks early, I long for those moments of just being in the moment and enjoying things for the first time when you’re a kid, everything’s brilliant. "
I do that now, I cycle over the kids skate park ramp, I smile at people and make them laugh

Reply privately

over a year ago

No way is life overrated. It truly is what you make it. Too many people sit back on life and are negative and moan on about this, that and the other. If you're not happy with something in your life then make changes, there is only yourself that can do that.

People moan they are bored, only boring people moan that they are bored.

Life is a rollercoaster ride, with lots of ups and downs, but that's what makes life interesting. Seize every opportunity you can and live your life, most importantly, be happy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is fantastic .... you are the creator of it ... anything is possible ... "

I like this quote

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’d like to hear music for the first time again, like when you’re a kid, just being in awe of it. Now when I hear music I can see where they got the sound from, hear the influences. Haven’t been blown away by a song for ages.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"No way is life overrated. It truly is what you make it. Too many people sit back on life and are negative and moan on about this, that and the other. If you're not happy with something in your life then make changes, there is only yourself that can do that.

People moan they are bored, only boring people moan that they are bored.

Life is a rollercoaster ride, with lots of ups and downs, but that's what makes life interesting. Seize every opportunity you can and live your life, most importantly, be happy."

that comment about bored yes exactly that never been bored in my life

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is life overrated you say, ask someone the who has lost a loved one, they would do anything to have that person back.

Materialistic gains and activements are what you get out of it by hard work.

Live your life as you want to live it, you can sit at home and waste it away or get off your arse and enjoy every moment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is life overrated you say, ask someone the who has lost a loved one, they would do anything to have that person back.

Live your life as you want to live it, you can sit at home and waste it away or get off your arse and enjoy every moment. "

Surely everyone has lost a loved one at some point, dont see the relevance to the question.

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

We've all got one life and it's our choice as to whether we live it to the full or just exist.

I love this quote.

"When I was five years old, my Mom told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wrote down “happy”.

They told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life.”

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nah, life is ace.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do you think life is mostly humdrum, monotonous affair, broken up by looking forward to the weekend, waiting for fleeting glimpses of fun, in between he tedium. When you experience things for the first time do they live up to expectations.

Or has Everything lived up to what you dreamt of as a kid, or is life essentially overrated and we’re just making are way through it ? "

What you need is to grab life by the horns and tug and tug. Do that for several minutes and you'll feel happy about life briefly

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

As many others have said your life is a reflection of what you put into it.....we love life and every day brings different experiences to soak up, new people to meet etc......living in the present is the only way to be.

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Is life overrated you say, ask someone the who has lost a loved one, they would do anything to have that person back.

Live your life as you want to live it, you can sit at home and waste it away or get off your arse and enjoy every moment. "

Sometimes people aren't able to do what they were capable of though PP. It can be frustrating to say the least.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I live minute to minute not week to week life is what i make it

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Overrated."

It's better than the other option

Reply privately

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

Is life over-rated? Well, when you consider the alternative...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Make the most of it! Try not to waste all your time typing shit on here though

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

"Life is fantastic .... you are the creator of it ... anything is possible ...

I like this quote "

Have you read The Secret??? Your thoughts create your world ... I love your take on it about boring people so true ....The world and life are amazing

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think life can feel over rated if one expects to be fulfilled, happy and content all the time. It just isn't possible. I think many people do live from weekend to weekend, holiday to holiday the entire population can't be in jobs they love, not everyone has a great relationship or enough money. All any of us can do is make the best of what we have, try and change what we can and endure that which we can't change.

To an extent we have influence over the direction our lives take but sometimes it's taken out of our hands.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is life over-rated? Well, when you consider the alternative... "
death oh my

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Is life over-rated? Well, when you consider the alternative... "

I need to come to one of your Sunday Morning confessions Sister

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everyone's experiences are different obviously, and I think our emotional health has a massive impact in how we interact and experience this wonderful world.

Simple things can truly be great to experience and you slowly realise that the superficial things are the big disappointments?

I do honestly believe, that you need to, and can, rewire your brain to see the world and people differently and get a better experience. I did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Most of this thread has read like quotes from a self help book

I wonder how many people actually believe what they're typing...

Reply privately

over a year ago

This x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most of this thread has read like quotes from a self help book

"

just me

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Life is fantastic .... you are the creator of it ... anything is possible ... "

No it's not. I wanted my own biological children I didn't get them. Not everything is possible. If that's a quote someone sprouted it's bollocks.

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I can't afford that new roof and windows I need either.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life is a miracle. Things may not always go as we plan or wish, but in these times I focus on what is good in my life. I appreciate there are plenty of people less fortunate than myself and this helps me keep life in perspective. Life is precious. Enjoy it

Reply privately

over a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgzJ8A2QLw

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We've all got one life and it's our choice as to whether we live it to the full or just exist.

I love this quote.

"When I was five years old, my Mom told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wrote down “happy”.

They told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life.”

"

Well done you. I bet that made the teacher think!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I can't afford that new roof and windows I need either."

Thats materialistic, things like that don't bring true happiness.

Reply privately

over a year ago

just me "

Me too

Reply privately

over a year ago

" Everyone's experiences are different obviously, and I think our emotional health has a massive impact in how we interact and experience this wonderful world.

Simple things can truly be great to experience and you slowly realise that the superficial things are the big disappointments?

I do honestly believe, that you need to, and can, rewire your brain to see the world and people differently and get a better experience. I did."

I believe this too as I did the same.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think that at times being an adult can bring a lot more heartache and disappointment than what we believed was possible as children. Sometimes life takes us on a path that we never envisaged and puts us in a place where it can feel overrated due to circumstances beyond our control.

We can all say we are responsible for the life we lead but sometimes that’s not true x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to think life was fantastic I had a amazing life but was hard financially.

Now I've lost most of my loved ones due to death. I'm financially stable but life is overated as the people I need in my life are gone

Reply privately

over a year ago

Peaks and troughs. You've got to make your own happiness and weather the bad parts.

Reply privately

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"Is life over-rated? Well, when you consider the alternative... death oh my "

...indeed..

Reply privately

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"Is life over-rated? Well, when you consider the alternative...

I need to come to one of your Sunday Morning confessions Sister "

Yes, you do.

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I think that at times being an adult can bring a lot more heartache and disappointment than what we believed was possible as children. Sometimes life takes us on a path that we never envisaged and puts us in a place where it can feel overrated due to circumstances beyond our control.

We can all say we are responsible for the life we lead but sometimes that’s not true x "

That's the best word's on here.

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I can't afford that new roof and windows I need either.

Thats materialistic, things like that don't bring true happiness."

That's a matter of opinion. Maybe right on the true happiness,that's if you don't mind the absolute worry of your roof rotting like hell over the year's with the leaks or sitting in your living room in the winter with your kid's freezing because of the drafts coming through the windows,but hey we have blankets...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’d like to hear music for the first time again, like when you’re a kid, just being in awe of it. Now when I hear music I can see where they got the sound from, hear the influences. Haven’t been blown away by a song for ages. "

Kopek-Love is Dead

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

For me it’s peaks and troughs. Childhood was one big trough 20’s amazing. Then the 30’s has been mixed so far. However I’m on the way up the peak at the moment and things are coming good.

Financially winning

Politically winning

Relationships/Friendships winning.

Enrichment winning.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Maybe, but how many believe life is a let down simply because they keep telling themself that?

Some folk are so negative they've forgotten how to be anything but that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think life can feel over rated if one expects to be fulfilled, happy and content all the time. It just isn't possible. I think many people do live from weekend to weekend, holiday to holiday the entire population can't be in jobs they love, not everyone has a great relationship or enough money. All any of us can do is make the best of what we have, try and change what we can and endure that which we can't change.

To an extent we have influence over the direction our lives take but sometimes it's taken out of our hands.

"

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

You have a life and you make the best of it that you can, or not, it's always your choice though. No, not everything is possible, some are dealt a shitty hand, some have it easy in others eyes. The measure of whether it's worth living is are you happy?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've chosen to live my dreams instead of dreaming my life that's why I am writing that message while I am getting sucked in a kia ceed !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've chosen to live my dreams instead of dreaming my life that's why I am writing that message while I am getting sucked in a kia ceed !! "

Thank you btw #youknowwhoyouare

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you ever get a serious illness ( I hope you don't) and told that your chance of survival is slim, you will fight to cling on to life and realise just how wonderful life is!

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I've chosen to live my dreams instead of dreaming my life that's why I am writing that message while I am getting sucked in a kia ceed !!

Thank you btw #youknowwhoyouare"

I hope he's living his dream as well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My day to day life is funnier and more random than the big events. Would hate to get to the point where I have to wait for the weekend or a big holiday for me to have a laugh x

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"If you ever get a serious illness ( I hope you don't) and told that your chance of survival is slim, you will fight to cling on to life and realise just how wonderful life is!"

Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzrABouyeE

Reply privately

By *arkhorse66Man
over a year ago

bristol

Over rated.

To those who put a positive spin on things and tell others it’s what you put into it and you get what you make of it, you have no idea.

We can’t choose who we are inside and can only change the external persona we choose to display.

Reply privately

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

It's partly why religion was invented in the first place, so that people had something else to look forward to.

Reply privately

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple
over a year ago

Basingstoke

I can see how some people have lives that would peak in childhood and how living for the weekend would be monotonous.

Mine was pretty much the opposite. I hated education so that put a downer on being a kid and the things I enjoy most are the variety and freedom i have now, so i don't live for the weekend at all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Children don't give a fuck. Old people don't give a fuck. And they're both happy. What goes wrong in between? We come increasingly to believe in the logical scientific worldview and seek to employ it in taking control of our lives. Unfortunately, though, whilst logic and science can bring robots to life it turns people into robots.

Life is deeper and more mysterious than the predictable dull world we come to believe we exist in during our middle years. I dreamt of my soul mate last night. I could feel her love. She is calling to me through space and time. To middle aged people this sounds like poetic nonsense. But kids and old people recognise it for what it is... the truth... and they're happier for knowing that.

Middle aged people are the greater fools by far. Humans are relativistic beings. We only experience happiness in comparison to sadness, relief in comparison to stress. Yet people in their middle years become risk averse to everything. Averse to heart break. Averse to gambling with life choices. And it makes them seek a quiet equilibrium in between the highs and lows. It's this dull tedium that kills happiness and love and all feelings. It's a form of lithium and most middle aged people are on it. Don't like being bored and dissatisfied? Then stop being so risk averse and start making some waves again. Don't listen to me though. My life's been a real roller coaster and this is definitely one of the lows haha Still... I may not be happy. But I'm not disillusioned... and I'm still in it to win it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can get jaded by all the shit that life throws at you, but life is short and you have to enjoy it and make the most of it whilst you can, because you don’t get a second chance.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Children don't give a fuck. Old people don't give a fuck. And they're both happy. What goes wrong in between? We come increasingly to believe in the logical scientific worldview and seek to employ it in taking control of our lives. Unfortunately, though, whilst logic and science can bring robots to life it turns people into robots.

Life is deeper and more mysterious than the predictable dull world we come to believe we exist in during our middle years. I dreamt of my soul mate last night. I could feel her love. She is calling to me through space and time.

"

You know how I know you're gay?

"

To middle aged people this sounds like poetic nonsense. But kids and old people recognise it for what it is... the truth... and they're happier for knowing that.

Middle aged people are the greater fools by far. Humans are relativistic beings. We only experience happiness in comparison to sadness, relief in comparison to stress. Yet people in their middle years become risk averse to everything. Averse to heart break. Averse to gambling with life choices. And it makes them seek a quiet equilibrium in between the highs and lows. It's this dull tedium that kills happiness and love and all feelings. It's a form of lithium and most middle aged people are on it. Don't like being bored and dissatisfied? Then stop being so risk averse and start making some waves again. Don't listen to me though. My life's been a real roller coaster and this is definitely one of the lows haha Still... I may not be happy. But I'm not disillusioned... and I'm still in it to win it. "

Reply privately

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Life is for living

The alternative is not a viable option

Reply privately

over a year ago

life is all about how you live it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

People are mainly answering the question in cliche, like ‘One life, live it!’ type stuff. Yes, we know that, but is life essentially getting through the mundane as best you can, so you get to the good bits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

People are mainly answering the question in cliche, like ‘One life, live it!’ type stuff. Yes, we know that, but is life essentially getting through the mundane as best you can, so you get to the good bits. "

Bet you wished you'd taken different A levels now

Reply privately

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

Reply privately

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

Life is what you make of it and the effort you put in often gives you back money which gives you choices.

The art is not to follow the heard and make your own choices along the way. Some will be right some will be wrong.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

I think George Orwell had it right

"most people manage to get a fair amount of fun out of their lives, but on balance life is suffering and only the very young or very foolish think otherwise".

Reply privately

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I think it ebbs and flows, money certainly helps if it means you can afford to travel, go to gigs, have exciting hobbies etc.

I was skint through most of my 20's so missed out on the "gap year" travel that a lot of my friends did and I was envious of, but I've made up for it since with travel, skydiving, amazing gigs, extreme sports and adventures, plus the experiences I've had through the reserves. I don't want to get old and regret not doing things so I try to have a go at anything exciting or adventurous

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I think life peaks early, I long for those moments of just being in the moment and enjoying things for the first time when you’re a kid, everything’s brilliant. "

Do something new, something that scares you or look around & live the immersive moment(s) they are there, sometimes you have to look, but they are there.

Reply privately

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

You’re a long time dead so I would say enjoy it whilst you can

Reply privately

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I don't really get how life can be underrated or overrated? What's the alternative? For me life is existantce (as apposed to non existance). Surely existantce is pretty much always going to trump non existence? Plus this world is a fucking beautiful place. I'd never see non existantce coming close to living, feeling and experiencing.

Reply privately

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

Life is a minestrone

Reply privately

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it can be hard. Sometimes we may wonder why we are here.

We only get one go at life. It's our responsibility to ourselves to make the best if it we can. It may go in circles sometimes but to all those who think it may be over rated the other option isntthat great.

To those who say they can't change their life, wake up look around, it's a beautiful world. We can all change our lives if we want to .....it's easier for some than others, it's true.

But wouldn't we all rather be here than never have lived at all...

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is still the preferred choice of everyone in this thread, because they are still doing it...

Reply privately

over a year ago

It sure beats the alternative

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'm of the life is too long to do things that bore you.

When you ask people about what actually gives them pleasure it is often the smaller, more mundane things. Things such as a lie-in, time with the family just being, even the pride of getting the kitchen floor gleaming or making a meal that others have enjoyed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The "there's only one life" approach can help motivate some, but it can freeze up others into not wanting to fuck it up. Another view is that you're almost certainly coming back and the whole thing is probably just a dream anyway... so just stop playing safe and start having some fun with it.

Either way you've got to move away from being logical and risk averse and boring in your life choices. Perhaps it's time to fuck your whole life up op, move to India, and start again? Could be fun

Reply privately

over a year ago

Happiness is fleeting. Adventure isn't

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Do you think life is mostly humdrum, monotonous affair, broken up by looking forward to the weekend, waiting for fleeting glimpses of fun, in between he tedium. When you experience things for the first time do they live up to expectations.

Or has Everything lived up to what you dreamt of as a kid, or is life essentially overrated and we’re just making are way through it ? "

Do you find the other side attractive OP?

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it can be hard. Sometimes we may wonder why we are here.

We only get one go at life. It's our responsibility to ourselves to make the best if it we can. It may go in circles sometimes but to all those who think it may be over rated the other option isntthat great.

To those who say they can't change their life, wake up look around, it's a beautiful world. We can all change our lives if we want to .....it's easier for some than others, it's true.

But wouldn't we all rather be here than never have lived at all..."

I would prefer never to have lived, but the paradox is that I can only say that because I have lived and am living.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life is what you make it, what opportunities cross your path and which ones you take.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People are mainly answering the question in cliche, like ‘One life, live it!’ type stuff. Yes, we know that, but is life essentially getting through the mundane as best you can, so you get to the good bits.

Bet you wished you'd taken different A levels now"

No, I love my job it’s what I was meant to do and I’m the best I know at it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Happiness is fleeting. Adventure isn't "

Love this and so true.

Reply privately

over a year ago

just me

Me too "

I live that life, no TV,no laptop, no car, I travel everyday and I talk to different people everyday,I cycle, I go to beach, I swim love it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m content listening to dub reggae in my yurt and ting, I have no WiFi but you won’t find a better connection to Mother Nature. I whittle spoons and count the stars and update my status on Fab, it’s not much but I’m trying to make my way through life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it can be harder to achieve the dreams of your teenage self than you might imagine. And the further down the path of life you go, partners,mortgages, bills,finding work, children the further away they get.

I can get bogged down in it all sometimes but have just learnt to make my dreams smaller.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Life is like a box of chocolates you never no when the orange 1 will bite your arse

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is like a box of chocolates you never no when the orange 1 will bite your arse "

I love the orange ones! The can bite me anyday. The simple pleasures

Reply privately

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

Life is brilliant. Especially compared to the alternative

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Life is like a box of chocolates you never no when the orange 1 will bite your arse

I love the orange ones! The can bite me anyday. The simple pleasures "

I'll save the pesky things for you. The coffees going begging to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is like a box of chocolates you never no when the orange 1 will bite your arse

I'll save the pesky things for you. The coffees going begging to."

Slip a caramel barrel or two in also

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I'll save the pesky things for you. The coffees going begging to.

Slip a caramel barrel or two in also "

Cost ya a bj

Reply privately

By *riefcase_WankerMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Life is like a dick...sometimes it gets hard for no reason.

But sometimes, you're the dick...you spurt something out and make a mess of everything

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Life is the bit you have to get through before you die.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is like a dick...sometimes it gets hard for no reason.

But sometimes, you're the dick...you spurt something out and make a mess of everything"

Truly emotive words *wipes single tear from cheek*

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Children don't give a fuck. Old people don't give a fuck. And they're both happy. What goes wrong in between? We come increasingly to believe in the logical scientific worldview and seek to employ it in taking control of our lives. Unfortunately, though, whilst logic and science can bring robots to life it turns people into robots.

Life is deeper and more mysterious than the predictable dull world we come to believe we exist in during our middle years. I dreamt of my soul mate last night. I could feel her love. She is calling to me through space and time. To middle aged people this sounds like poetic nonsense. But kids and old people recognise it for what it is... the truth... and they're happier for knowing that.

Middle aged people are the greater fools by far. Humans are relativistic beings. We only experience happiness in comparison to sadness, relief in comparison to stress. Yet people in their middle years become risk averse to everything. Averse to heart break. Averse to gambling with life choices. And it makes them seek a quiet equilibrium in between the highs and lows. It's this dull tedium that kills happiness and love and all feelings. It's a form of lithium and most middle aged people are on it. Don't like being bored and dissatisfied? Then stop being so risk averse and start making some waves again. Don't listen to me though. My life's been a real roller coaster and this is definitely one of the lows haha Still... I may not be happy. But I'm not disillusioned... and I'm still in it to win it. "

Why has nobody else commented on this post? It's epic

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"I live that life, no TV,no laptop, no car, I travel everyday and I talk to different people everyday,I cycle, I go to beach, I swim love it "

So much that you spend your life on this forum.

There’s a lot of naivety being expressed in this thread. ‘Life is what you make it’? Not for the overwhelming majority of the population. Just from my own experiences, I can point to health and finances as two things that have more say over how my life goes than I do.

If what you mean is, ‘life is what you make OF it’, then you’re pretty much answering that yes, it has not met your expectations, and you’re making do.

Elsewhere we see the usual nonsense like, ‘only boring people are bored’ (actually, boring people are rarely bored, because they lack the ability to recognise how dull their lives are) or the idea that expressing dissatisfaction is, in itself, a failure, or renders you incapable of seeing the positives.

I’ve got a lot of great things going on in my life. I’ve got a fascinating job that, somehow, I have a natural ability for. I’ve got the best dog in the world. I’ve got some good friends, and a loving family. But the world is populated by a sufficiently significant proportion of selfish, ignorant, or just plain nasty arseholes that makes the day-to-day operation of the planet barely tolerable, and the forecast is fucking bleak.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm of the life is too long to do things that bore you.

When you ask people about what actually gives them pleasure it is often the smaller, more mundane things. Things such as a lie-in, time with the family just being, even the pride of getting the kitchen floor gleaming or making a meal that others have enjoyed."

I love that. Good point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What is life? ... It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowsfoot 1890

Reply privately

over a year ago

Every day is a new adventure

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Every day is a new adventure "

If you’re incapable of creating short term memories, maybe.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Every day is a new adventure

If you’re incapable of creating short term memories, maybe."

Ouch

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

[Removed by poster at 12/07/18 19:25:33]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

[Removed by poster at 12/07/18 19:25:55]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Statistically speaking, stupid people are happier than intelligent people. OP, have you consider glue sniffing as a hobby?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life is good until people barge in and trample all over the good things

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Life is good until people barge in and trample all over the good things "

Often them just being there is enough to sully the experience.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I thought about all the problems I’ve had in my life and everyone of them were created by other people, if I’d been more proactive I could have avoided the situation, but they were still created by people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like how the happier people appeared rhis morning and all the grumps surface in the evening. I was a lunch time inbetweener

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is good until people barge in and trample all over the good things

Often them just being there is enough to sully the experience."

True.

I love my life most of the time, but there's always someone waiting to piss on your chips...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I contemplate the question regularly.

The highs outweigh the lows mostly, although as i age and I find it increasingly harder to do the main thing I love I’ve found your op a difficult question to answer.

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

If you’re incapable of creating short term memories, maybe."

Or you're a positive person that doesn't live in the past.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you're a positive person that doesn't live in the past."

flik love your England shirt it must have distracted them

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have bipolar with psycosis one thing my life isnt is boring we all have shit in our lives and pasts but i prefer to concentrate on the good things

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe, but how many believe life is a let down simply because they keep telling themself that?

Some folk are so negative they've forgotten how to be anything but that? "

Exactly this. Negativity leads to more negativity. Try and look for the plus side, I know in some situations it doesn't seem like there is one, but it does help in life it you try to have a positive attitude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's the first initial splash of colour

from the artist's hand

and the careful, gentle way the mother

guides by her command

it's that moment when you see a puppy

running in the grass

it's the minute when you took your test

and found out you had passed

it's the first time your lips met the softness

of your first embrace

it's the lawyer's cry of triumph

at the win of their first case

it's the blooming of the flowers

when they show their face in spring

it's the rescue of the fallen bird

and mending of its wing

it's the older couple on the beach

still walking arm in arm

it's the children singing sweetly

with their effervescent charm

it's the day a man and woman

join their hands as man and wife

it's the little things that make the bigger

picture come to life

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Or you're a positive person that doesn't live in the past."

Or you’re a moron.

I don’t live in the past. And I’ve got plenty good things going on in my life. But to suggest that every day is a new adventure is ludicrous at best. Get a grip of yourselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you’re a moron.

I don’t live in the past. And I’ve got plenty good things going on in my life. But to suggest that every day is a new adventure is ludicrous at best. Get a grip of yourselves."

I'd rather be a happy moron than a miserable sod.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you’re a moron.

I don’t live in the past. And I’ve got plenty good things going on in my life. But to suggest that every day is a new adventure is ludicrous at best. Get a grip of yourselves."

It's not ludicrous at all,if you've looked the 'Reaper' in the eye and managed to walk away then every day truly is an adventure

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why aren't you happy?

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

I like life it's just other people that ruin it, cunts every where.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you’re a moron.

I don’t live in the past. And I’ve got plenty good things going on in my life. But to suggest that every day is a new adventure is ludicrous at best. Get a grip of yourselves.It's not ludicrous at all,if you've looked the 'Reaper' in the eye and managed to walk away then every day truly is an adventure "

Depends what you class as an adventure, if adventure to you is wondering around Aldi in your flip flops or eating something one day passed it’s Best before date, then yeah every day is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why aren't you happy?"

For several reasons it's a difficult time for me at the mo. I'm not unhappy. So don't worry. Just not in the best of places practically speaking that's all. But thanks for asking xxx

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Or you’re a moron.

Well our lives are an adventure in our own moronic way...we just like to be happy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life is what you decide it is, there is no intrinsic meaning or greater plan.

Reply privately

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

[Removed by poster at 12/07/18 21:38:29]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

[Removed by poster at 12/07/18 21:38:32]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is what you decide it is, there is intrinsic meaning and a greater plan. "

Sorry. Just thought I'd correct some of your grammar

Reply privately

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

My life is awesome! Love my job, great gang of friends, house that fits me, family I adore and if I want to do something, I go out and do it. Don’t get me wrong, there are tough times but it’s rarely boring. We only get one go on this spinning ball so you might as well make the very most of it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is what you decide it is, there is intrinsic meaning and a greater plan.

Sorry. Just thought I'd correct some of your grammar "

Sure there is, you keep telling yourself that and you will believe it eventually - there's your meaningful life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

Some days I love my life and I can’t wait to get up and get on with things. Other days it’s more of a struggle and I’d rather stay in bed with the curtains closed and not have to do life stuff at all. It’s more the latter than the former at the moment unfortunately.

I rely far too much on external influences (people and things) to make me feel like my life is worthwhile, and I need to stop doing that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life is what you decide it is, there is intrinsic meaning and a greater plan.

Sorry. Just thought I'd correct some of your grammar

Sure there is, you keep telling yourself that and you will believe it eventually - there's your meaningful life. "

Haha cheeky I know... but I couldn't let it pass

Reply privately

over a year ago

Meh.

It's all an illusion...

( annoying slightly sarcastic Yoda face )

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Meh.

It's all an illusion...

( annoying slightly sarcastic Yoda face )

"

Illusion, it is all an

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"I'd rather be a happy moron than a miserable sod."

Again, the implication that these are the only options. I’m happy, but without deluding myself with the platitudinous claptrap folk are regurgitating here, after reading it superimposed on an aspirational photograph on facebook.

The acknowledgement that life isn’t endless joy in the land of milk and honey doesn’t mean that you’re a miserable sod. It just means that you’re realistic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life, believe, is not a dream

So dark as sages say;

Oft a little morning rain

Foretells a pleasant day.

Sometimes there are clouds of gloom,

But these are transient all;

If the shower will make the roses bloom,

O why lament its fall?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life, believe, is not a dream

So dark as sages say;

O why lament its fall?"

Lovely x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd rather be a happy moron than a miserable sod.

Again, the implication that these are the only options. I’m happy, but without deluding myself with the platitudinous claptrap folk are regurgitating here, after reading it superimposed on an aspirational photograph on facebook.

The acknowledgement that life isn’t endless joy in the land of milk and honey doesn’t mean that you’re a miserable sod. It just means that you’re realistic."

Life will definitely slap you around at times and you will wonder if it's all worth it. Make your choices carefully, but make them. If you don't, well that's a choice too. They are all yours.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Life, believe, is not a dream

So dark as sages say;

O why lament its fall?"

Love The Smiths.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some days are better than others. Ive had numerous moments of wonder and deep joy, I have had many moments of monotony. I’ve experienced.every emotion and felt them fully. I have a life that I can happily say I feel like the author of often and have enjoyed writing biographical stories that have helped me track my journey through. I have lived it well but not fully, I continue to love and be loved, I am still continually learning and do work I feel passionate about, I laugh often and cry more often with joy and from being deeply moved than from personal sadness, I’ve faced a number of very testing challenges and emerged a better man, I have family and friends that I love dearly and I’ve had a positive influence on a significant number of other people.

I’ve also done some shitty things that I’m not proud of, but I’m simply a human that messes stuff up sometimes.

In short far so good- I live a pretty good life

Reply privately

By *entish79Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I guess all we can do is experience everything life throws at us, good and bad. I’m not sure life becomes overrated if there’s more bad and less good though. Ultimately what makes life memorable is all of those experiences, good and bad, and how those experiences shape us.

My life had been going in a fairly calm straight line (or possibly round and round in ever decreasing circles, depending on how you look at it) until about two years ago, at which point it took quite the dramatic change in direction in a couple of ways. Some good, but also a lot of bad, and where I am as of right now is more complicated, and further from rosy than I could ever have imagined two years ago.

But I don’t think I’m even the same person I was before. I still don’t know quite where or when this little detour, or even complete rerouting ends, but at least I can truthfully say I feel alive in ways I maybe hadn’t for a long time, which if nothing else is no bad thing probably.

Reply privately

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

The acknowledgement that life isn’t endless joy in the land of milk and honey doesn’t mean that you’re a miserable sod. It just means that you’re realistic."

What about those of us that don't have Facebook but actually choose to be positive. I don't think anyone is suggesting endless joy more choosing to react to what living offers in a way that promotes happiness for ourselves and the people we meet. You may consider this to be claptrap but we aren't going to change our outlook on life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The acknowledgement that life isn’t endless joy in the land of milk and honey doesn’t mean that you’re a miserable sod. It just means that you’re realistic.

What about those of us that don't have Facebook but actually choose to be positive. I don't think anyone is suggesting endless joy more choosing to react to what living offers in a way that promotes happiness for ourselves and the people we meet. You may consider this to be claptrap but we aren't going to change our outlook on life. "

flik yes this and I've never had Facebook and it's proven to be a very sensible choice very intrusive, technology has its place but should be controlled by us not us by it and half the time with FB you don't know what others can see

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wish I was like you, easierly amused.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused."
Hey its easily done are you not a happy person, I wake up with a smile and drop off with one

Reply privately

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused."

Find my nest of salt, everything's my fault...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused.Hey its easily done are you not a happy person, I wake up with a smile and drop off with one "

As with a lot of things, happiness is largely a choice we make.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused.Hey its easily done are you not a happy person, I wake up with a smile and drop off with one "

Is there a need to use that emoji for every comment you make, even when it’s totally inappropriate, your 43 mate ?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused.Hey its easily done are you not a happy person, I wake up with a smile and drop off with one

As with a lot of things, happiness is largely a choice we make. "

it is and it's tragic that some can't for whatever reason realise it but such is life

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"As with a lot of things, happiness is largely a choice we make. "

Putting a thumbs up after spouting bollocks doesn’t suddenly make it true.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wish I was like you, easierly amused.Hey its easily done are you not a happy person, I wake up with a smile and drop off with one

Is there a need to use that emoji for every comment you make, even when it’s totally inappropriate, your 43 mate ?!"

and you're a troubadour maverick renegade and 44 your point is

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is there a need to use that emoji for every comment you make, even when it’s totally inappropriate, your 43 mate ?!and you're a troubadour maverick renegade and 44 your point is "

You don’t get sarcasm then ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is there a need to use that emoji for every comment you make, even when it’s totally inappropriate, your 43 mate ?!and you're a troubadour maverick renegade and 44 your point is

You don’t get sarcasm then ?"

lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As with a lot of things, happiness is largely a choice we make.

Putting a thumbs up after spouting bollocks doesn’t suddenly make it true."

Nor does you disagreeing with me

Reply privately

over a year ago

As with a lot of things, happiness is largely a choice we make. "

If happiness was simply a choice, then surely everyone would be happy . Happiness is elusive and fleeting at the best of times, choice has little to do with it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nor does you disagreeing with me "

Umm, he didn’t. Awkward.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't know about life being overrated,but I'm guessing it beats the alternative

Reply privately

over a year ago

If happiness was simply a choice, then surely everyone would be happy . Happiness is elusive and fleeting at the best of times, choice has little to do with it."

Of course it has, you can choose not to let minor petty issues bother you and to take the best from every situation, others choose to be constantly negative while painting it as realism, the only difference is perception. This is essentially the basis of cognitive behavioural therapy which is an effective tool in the treatment of depressive disorders, replacing dysfunctional and negative thoughts, emotions and behaviour with more useful responses.

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Some people can argue by themselves in an empty room at times.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Umm, he didn’t. Awkward."

Feeling awkward about forum posts isn't something I bother with frankly.

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

If happiness was simply a choice, then surely everyone would be happy . Happiness is elusive and fleeting at the best of times, choice has little to do with it.

Of course it has, you can choose not to let minor petty issues bother you and to take the best from every situation, others choose to be constantly negative while painting it as realism, the only difference is perception. This is essentially the basis of cognitive behavioural therapy which is an effective tool in the treatment of depressive disorders, replacing dysfunctional and negative thoughts, emotions and behaviour with more useful responses."

That's food for thought actually. It's not easy to change how you initially go about thing's though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Umm, he didn’t. Awkward.

Feeling awkward about forum posts isn't something I bother with frankly. "

That’s good. It could be a burden otherwise.

I jest.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course it has, you can choose not to let minor petty issues bother you and to take the best from every situation, others choose to be constantly negative while painting it as realism, the only difference is perception. This is essentially the basis of cognitive behavioural therapy which is an effective tool in the treatment of depressive disorders, replacing dysfunctional and negative thoughts, emotions and behaviour with more useful responses.

That's food for thought actually. It's not easy to change how you initially go about thing's though."

No, it's not, particularly when negativity is a defensive behaviour learned in childhood.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Umm, he didn’t. Awkward.

Feeling awkward about forum posts isn't something I bother with frankly.

That’s good. It could be a burden otherwise.

I jest."

That's what I presumed

Reply privately

over a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q9xeOgG4

Reply privately

over a year ago

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q9xeOgG4

"

These links never work on my phone Jim, is it cause I’ve got a shit phone ?!

Thanks in advance x

Reply privately

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Putting a thumbs up after spouting bollocks doesn’t suddenly make it true."

Nor does you disagreeing with me "

Well, perhaps not by definition, but given that you are categorically wrong, on this occasion it does. The second thumbs up is in danger of making you look stupid.

"Of course it has, you can choose not to let minor petty issues bother you and to take the best from every situation, others choose to be constantly negative while painting it as realism, the only difference is perception. This is essentially the basis of cognitive behavioural therapy which is an effective tool in the treatment of depressive disorders, replacing dysfunctional and negative thoughts, emotions and behaviour with more useful responses."

Oh boy. Where to begin unpicking this mess.

You seem to think, by what you’ve written, that depression is simply the absence of happiness, or choosing to see the negative in things. You might not think that, but you seem to, and you’d be wrong.

Regardless, the way that CBT works is not by simply saying, “I choose to be happy about this thing I’m currently sad about. It’s about recognising the onset of the symptoms of depression, and picking behaviours (not emotions) which will fight that. It’s called behavioural therapy and not emotional therapy for a reason. And, no, ‘being happy’ isn’t a behaviour.

Even pursuing the argument makes the mistake of thinking that being happy about something is a better or more correct response. CBT is about correcting unhelpful or even destructive behaviours. But a core principal of it working is to then examine the unhelpful response. It’s not about being happy and blindly pressing on.

Even then you’ve failed to recognise that the initial emotional response is not a choice. You can choose to try to change it or challenge it, but emotional responses are not a choice, by definition.

So, disregarding that misguided argument, and just implying that happiness is somehow a better or more correct response to everything is also nonsense. Unhappiness and dissatisfaction are often the correct response to a situation, because those are the responses which will cause people to rectify situations, and right the wrongs.

You also attempt that fool’s endeavour of writing off realism as negativity. It is not. Realism is about responding realistically, which means that you will respond to some things negatively, some positively, and some neutrally, according to what is appropriate. The ‘This is Fine’ meme points out how utterly foolish and irresponsible it is to just look for positives and be happy about a situation which you should not be happy about.

You also adopt the fallacy of attempting to dismiss those with a realistic approach as ‘letting minor petty things annoy you’. This discussion has been about LIFE. There are some pretty significant events dominating people’s lives which are neither minor nor petty, but some of you seem to have difficulty accepting that there are situations where there simply are no positives, or so few positives that focusing on them is pointless, stupid, and even dangerous.

Don’t worry. I understand that it’s nice to feel smugly superior and tell people that the only reason they’re having a shit time is perception. Yes, I fully appreciate that there are times where it’s possible to look at things with a positive and negative slant, and that some people choose to look at things negatively in those situations. But there’s a whole bigger picture here which, for one of a few possible reasons, you’re failing to see. And in that bigger picture, twee mantras about choosing to be happy are about as useful as a handbrake on a hot air balloon.

And, when all of that is said and done, it still means that you’ve failed to grasp the key to this discussion, which is that if you’re always having to look for reasons to be happy, then life is, by that very measure, not as good as it could be.

Reply privately