Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

NHS staff quits.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was abit surprised when I was reading about a nhs worker that quit her job to work for a supermarket, she said, the hours was better and less stressful and she got 10% discount on her food, what can be done to keep the staff, whats your view?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Simple , pay them more .

The majority of nhs workers like nurses do the job because they love it . They like to help others and do something worthwhile . But they are so underpaid .

I would happily pay and extra 2p in the pound as an extra tax to go directly to paying nurses more money .

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

It’s definitely a job you do because you love it rather than for the money.

However if the pay is so spectacularly shit that stacking shelves makes you financially secure then it’s time the government stopped taking the piss with wages.

I don’t know about working conditions but I’d imagine working in a supermarket doesn’t get you threatened, sworn at or hit when you’re trying to help someone.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was abit surprised when I was reading about a nhs worker that quit her job to work for a supermarket, she said, the hours was better and less stressful and she got 10% discount on her food, what can be done to keep the staff, whats your view?"

Employ more (but have over 40,000 nurse vacancies in England alone).

Pay more (the nurse is as accountable as doctors and yet get paid a fraction).

Change shift lengths on wards for those who want it.

Reinstate bursary. Ensure foreign staff are aware their jobs are safe beyond Brexit.

Employ more foreign nurses and ensure the above.

By *strokeC100Couple
over a year ago

chester

Try managing one! I have a friend who does and is regularly faced with unpleasant confrontations with brazen shoplifters, about whom the police do little. Long hours too, many unpaid, and all for a lot less than a nurse would expect to earn after a few years seniority. Which isn’t to criticise nurses in the least, but these comparisons are not very useful.

over a year ago

Get more people to put into the pot rather than drip drying the system and actually pay for the prescription,rather than endless free ones which cost us how many million a year!

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

I'd seriously consider retraining as a nurse if they brought back the bursary.

But yeah, high staff turnover due to shit working conditions, plus the NHS being totally fucked over even more by the amount of locums(via agencies. Talk about Evil Empire..) draining already stretched resources. I hear middle management upwards is invariably pretty shit also.

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

More pay and more respect. Drs generally are treated like gods in the nhs whilst the hard working nurses are over worked, underpaid and not thought off as much.

over a year ago

"Try managing one! I have a friend who does and is regularly faced with unpleasant confrontations with brazen shoplifters, about whom the police do little. Long hours too, many unpaid, and all for a lot less than a nurse would expect to earn after a few years seniority. Which isn’t to criticise nurses in the least, but these comparisons are not very useful."

Compare Aldi wages for an assistant manager and a newly qualified degree nurse - approx £22,000 to £30,000. Tell me which is which? Which one saves lives, is in charge of a ward and x amount of patients, has to make decisions of great importance on a daily business, and probably goes home worrying if he/she has done enough.

By *strokeC100Couple
over a year ago

chester

"More pay and more respect. Drs generally are treated like gods in the nhs whilst the hard working nurses are over worked, underpaid and not thought off as much."

Complete myth ( well if not complete, 90%). The truth is it takes several years for a doctor working in a hospital to make up for the unpaid years during his/ her training and overtake in gross earnings what they could have earned in a job requiring a far less stringent level of qualifications.

Then during their years as a “ junior” doctor ( daft term as it covers everything up to consultant which , if they reach it at all probably won’t be until they are 40 or so) , they are expected to work extremely long and anti social hours, often effectively unpaid and take huge levels of responsibility. Literally life and death decisions on a regular basis for which they are accountable.

And for this they are typically paid less than, say a primary school deputy head teacher.

By all means applaud and support our nurses, but doing so by dissing doctors is simply ill informed and unhelpful.

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple
over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

"More pay and more respect. Drs generally are treated like gods in the nhs whilst the hard working nurses are over worked, underpaid and not thought off as much."

....ermmm not to mention the lab techs, office staff, secretaries, porters etc who are paid way LESS than all of the above.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/07/18 14:17:32]

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"More pay and more respect. Drs generally are treated like gods in the nhs whilst the hard working nurses are over worked, underpaid and not thought off as much.

....ermmm not to mention the lab techs, office staff, secretaries, porters etc who are paid way LESS than all of the above."

Perhaps, but their responsibilities are less too.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Just a thought! Maybe they could pay for more Nurses, Admin Staff and others, if they removed the mass tiers of Management, Bean Counters and Corporate Consultants.

over a year ago

"More pay and more respect. Drs generally are treated like gods in the nhs whilst the hard working nurses are over worked, underpaid and not thought off as much.

....ermmm not to mention the lab techs, office staff, secretaries, porters etc who are paid way LESS than all of the above."

But they don’t have the accountability of a nurse, I’m not surprised nurses’ are leaving and finding better paid work elsewhere. We do this job because we love it, but the wages make it impossible for us to survive on. My trust has even removed the staff discount in the canteen now

over a year ago

The OP just says "NHS worker", so could have been an Auxiliary/Nursing Assistant or any one of the 100's of job-titles within the NHS. I know a guy who's a paramedic, regularly gets attacked, hardly ever finishes a shift on time who's thoroughly pissed off with the whole thing. He's looking at a shop manager job for £5000 a year more, and no night-shifts.

By *utsidenakedMan
over a year ago

Dorchester

My county hospital has large car park, a chunk of ot for staff, but the nurses have to pay a daily parking rate, this to me is very odd

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Do you find life in A&E sometimes a bit dull? Lacking in excitement? Do you just think things would be better if there was more danger?

Then get a job as a paramedic

By *hedevilwearspradaWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere nearby

I worked with a consultant psychiatrist - an amazing woman who I had a huge amount of personal and professional respect for, and whom my patients loved. She became so disillusioned with the NHS that she quit and got a job in customer service for a high end department store. The difference in her is startling. She made the absolute best decision for her, and I applaud her for that.

(I was gutted for our patients when she left though , a huge loss for the NHS).

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

Love the job sometimes, hate the job sometimes. Yes I have to pay for a parking pass and I also have to pay my registration fees each year so I can carry on practising. How many other jobs make you pay a registration fee each year?

By *strokeC100Couple
over a year ago

chester

All the professions I think. It comes with having its own disciplinary structure.

over a year ago

"Love the job sometimes, hate the job sometimes. Yes I have to pay for a parking pass and I also have to pay my registration fees each year so I can carry on practising. How many other jobs make you pay a registration fee each year? "

And liability insurance

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Love the job sometimes, hate the job sometimes. Yes I have to pay for a parking pass and I also have to pay my registration fees each year so I can carry on practising. How many other jobs make you pay a registration fee each year? "

They don’t even make you pay to stay on the sex offenders register. I’m not sure if they have to pay for their own parking though

over a year ago

"Simple , pay them more .

The majority of nhs workers like nurses do the job because they love it . They like to help others and do something worthwhile . But they are so underpaid .

I would happily pay and extra 2p in the pound as an extra tax to go directly to paying nurses more money ."

Yes and I would also be happy to pay more tax so they earn more.

over a year ago

Don't be 'happy to pay more taxes' that's the whole trick they've played on you. We have the 13th best healthcare in Europe not the best as everyone pretends and all those other countries pay less and get better outcomes because they aren't run by idiots. So clearly it ain't the money.

look it up, we need to end this cult of the NHS were everyone thinks it's the envy of the world - yet not one other country has copied our version.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

They’re over worked, underpaid, put under too much pressure, feel as though they’re not valued, take a lot of criticism at times. Many do the job because they love it but goodwill only go so far.

By *sianMancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Pay everyone in the NHS (cleaners, nurses, doctors etc) alot more and make the NHS valued as it should be.

Simplez!

over a year ago

I think she's probably better off being in a supermarket.

Being a nurse is a vocation in life and should be for people who want to do it for the job not money.

Support workers get minimum wage and do more of the messy jobs on a ward.

Don't get me wrong most nurses I have met deserve their weight in gold but it's not badly paid compared to other jobs, you have levels to increase your wage, special discounts etc.

over a year ago

over a year ago

"I think she's probably better off being in a supermarket.

Being a nurse is a vocation in life and should be for people who want to do it for the job not money.

Don't get me wrong most nurses I have met deserve their weight in gold but it's not badly paid compared to other jobs, you have levels to increase your wage, special discounts etc.

"

It's a profession you need a degree AND registration to get into. It is poorly paid as a profession.

Nurses get to clean up shit, just not as often as most HCAs.

HCAs get paid more than the minimum wage and have the opportunity to get to band 4.

Special discounts?

over a year ago

I would stop these 3rd party companies and corporate who does business with NHS, they rip the money out of these NHS by selling products and services which only worth penny. Same happens on these local council..

If doesn't matter how much increase we bring from tax money, it will end up with corporates...

I HATE THIS

over a year ago

"Special discounts?

"

I assume this is in reference to the many shops and services that providing an NHS/Emergency Services discount

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Employing more staff isn't always the answer. Where I work we are experiencing the same mass exodus and even though there is a commitment to recruit more staff and targets are bring hit from that point of view, the number of leavers we are experiencing is wiping out any gain. Plus we're losing good, experienced staff.

Valuing and protecting staff is probably more important than sheer numbers. Make sure they feel safe when they walk through the doors in the morning and that their hard work, determination and dedication to looking after the country's sick and injured is recognised.

over a year ago

"I think she's probably better off being in a supermarket.

It's a profession you need a degree AND registration to get into. It is poorly paid as a profession.

Nurses get to clean up shit, just not as often as most HCAs.

HCAs get paid more than the minimum wage and have the opportunity to get to band 4.

Special discounts?

"

Yes the NHS discount on white goods etc.

Most of my family come from nursing/matron and it's certainly come along way, when we talk about old school nursing Vs modern nursing.

over a year ago

"It’s definitely a job you do because you love it rather than for the money.

However if the pay is so spectacularly shit that stacking shelves makes you financially secure then it’s time the government stopped taking the piss with wages.

I don’t know about working conditions but I’d imagine working in a supermarket doesn’t get you threatened, sworn at or hit when you’re trying to help someone."

Then you've never worked in a supermarket. Get abuse and threats. Physical violence isn't that uncommon either.

over a year ago

"I was abit surprised when I was reading about a nhs worker that quit her job to work for a supermarket, she said, the hours was better and less stressful and she got 10% discount on her food, what can be done to keep the staff, whats your view?"
shackles

over a year ago

Anyway my point mainly being people should go into the career for that reason not because of the money.

Otherwise you attract uncaring people into the profession for the money rather then the sole reason.

over a year ago

evesham

"Anyway my point mainly being people should go into the career for that reason not because of the money.

Otherwise you attract uncaring people into the profession for the money rather then the sole reason.

"

This is the reason I hate the fostering ads on the radio in my area at the moment. Surely fostering is a vocation? Something you do for the good of the children? To advertise that you could earn 26k or whatever it is now just makes it look like money grabbing.

over a year ago

The supposed pay rise the NHS are getting over 3 years will in fact be a pay cut what with enhancements being reduced over the 3 years and only being payed basic wage when they're off sick, plus the fact that inflation is expected to be 9.6% that's why they're losing people to the private sector and supermarkets

over a year ago

"Love the job sometimes, hate the job sometimes. Yes I have to pay for a parking pass and I also have to pay my registration fees each year so I can carry on practising. How many other jobs make you pay a registration fee each year?

And liability insurance"

Accounting jobs make you pay yearly fee and it’s more than nurses one truest me I done both

over a year ago

evesham

"Love the job sometimes, hate the job sometimes. Yes I have to pay for a parking pass and I also have to pay my registration fees each year so I can carry on practising. How many other jobs make you pay a registration fee each year?

And liability insurance"

Lots of professional bodies have yearly subscription fees, not just nursing.

I worked in health and safety until recently and had to pay £147 each year to be Techiosh.

Lots of people have to pay for parking as well.

Didn't realise nurses had to have their own liability insurance though.

over a year ago

....ermmm not to mention the lab techs, office staff, secretaries, porters etc who are paid way LESS than all of the above.

Perhaps, but their responsibilities are less too."

In my hospital the porters are also security and have to take blood transfusions out to the wards which is a nurses responsibility in most other hospitals

By *inxy777Woman
over a year ago

essex

"It’s definitely a job you do because you love it rather than for the money.

I don’t know about working conditions but I’d imagine working in a supermarket doesn’t get you threatened, sworn at or hit when you’re trying to help someone.

Then you've never worked in a supermarket. Get abuse and threats. Physical violence isn't that uncommon either. "

Just like a Typical night in A&E then!!

over a year ago

But they don’t have the accountability of a nurse, I’m not surprised nurses’ are leaving and finding better paid work elsewhere. We do this job because we love it, but the wages make it impossible for us to survive on. My trust has even removed the staff discount in the canteen now "

Done exactly the same in Worcestershire

over a year ago

I’ve been a qualified nurse for 13yrs now, trained to degree level... later went on to obtain my Masters.... and quit the NHS two years ago to work in a small private nursing home.... best thing I ever did for me, but certainly at the NHS’s loss.

The stress, the management, the government auditing and crazy targets.... nurses are leaving in their droves.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Until there’s a clinical incident where the nurse usually gets thrown into the firing line

Post new Message to Thread