Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Eastenders.. knife crime

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Tonight's Eastenders is interspersed with parents of kids who lost their lives to knife crime. Appears to be London focused.

Not sure what to think....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Very powerful

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's in tribute and to raise awareness of knife crime as it is on the rise, especially in London.

An actress that used to be in eastenders lost her brother to a stabbing.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't watch Eastenders but as it's set in London it probably makes sense to make it London focussed, especially as we have lost so many young people to knife attacks in the last six months.

The Premier League has been doing a lot of work around this in the last year (not just in London) so features during the World Cup and with an Eastenders storyline might have more impact than at other times.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I'm sure I read somewhere that it's in tribute and to raise awareness of knife crime as it is on the rise, especially in London.

An actress that used to be in eastenders lost her brother to a stabbing. "

It's the tenth anniversary of Ben Kinsella's death.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If it stops one person losing their life it will be worth it.

over a year ago

If it helps people really see the ramifications of knife crime then it can only be a good thing. Its scary how many kids seem to think its the norm to carry and use knives these days. We had a fatal stabbing not long ago at the end of our road. It makes me petrified for my son and the future he is growing up into. So good on Eastenders and the Kinsella Trust for trying to raise awareness

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"If it helps people really see the ramifications of knife crime then it can only be a good thing. Its scary how many kids seem to think its the norm to carry and use knives these days. We had a fatal stabbing not long ago at the end of our road. It makes me petrified for my son and the future he is growing up into. So good on Eastenders and the Kinsella Trust for trying to raise awareness"

It is scary how many think that there is 'safe' stabbing - it will hurt but won't kill. Then, like America and guns, they get into a spiral of feeling they better carry a knife for protection as someone else will be carrying to harm.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Pass the tissues. All those families.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"If it helps people really see the ramifications of knife crime then it can only be a good thing. Its scary how many kids seem to think its the norm to carry and use knives these days. We had a fatal stabbing not long ago at the end of our road. It makes me petrified for my son and the future he is growing up into. So good on Eastenders and the Kinsella Trust for trying to raise awareness"

Why not move?

over a year ago

"If it helps people really see the ramifications of knife crime then it can only be a good thing. Its scary how many kids seem to think its the norm to carry and use knives these days. We had a fatal stabbing not long ago at the end of our road. It makes me petrified for my son and the future he is growing up into. So good on Eastenders and the Kinsella Trust for trying to raise awareness

Why not move?"

Not everyone can afford to move or can be away from family and support.

If everyone moved out of London, where would they go.

over a year ago

"If it helps people really see the ramifications of knife crime then it can only be a good thing. Its scary how many kids seem to think its the norm to carry and use knives these days. We had a fatal stabbing not long ago at the end of our road. It makes me petrified for my son and the future he is growing up into. So good on Eastenders and the Kinsella Trust for trying to raise awareness

Why not move?"

If I could afford to I would. But surely parents shouldnt have to move house to hope for a safe future for their kids... its an issue that needs tackling not just running away from no?!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why not move?

If I could afford to I would. But surely parents shouldnt have to move house to hope for a safe future for their kids... its an issue that needs tackling not just running away from no?!"

Our first house was in a shit area of Southampton. When we had our son we moved. Now we have nerve agent but no knife crime or drug dealer on the corner. We did all we could at the time. Let someone else tackle the problem. Have a son not a marta to a cause.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why not move?

If everyone moved out of London, where would they go. "

I don't get that, i couldn't afford to live in London, so surely Londoners can afford to move out.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Why not move?

If I could afford to I would. But surely parents shouldnt have to move house to hope for a safe future for their kids... its an issue that needs tackling not just running away from no?!

Our first house was in a shit area of Southampton. When we had our son we moved. Now we have nerve agent but no knife crime or drug dealer on the corner. We did all we could at the time. Let someone else tackle the problem. Have a son not a marta to a cause. "

Small towns and rural areas face other issues for their young people.

over a year ago

Why not move?

Our first house was in a shit area of Southampton. When we had our son we moved. Now we have nerve agent but no knife crime or drug dealer on the corner. We did all we could at the time. Let someone else tackle the problem. Have a son not a marta to a cause. "

When i moved here it was considered a good area. Things seem to be changing. Knife crime is happening all over. We cant move too far away due to job etc My son is 6 so its not an immediate concern, but if everyone ignores it where will the country be in 10 or 20 years??

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Why not move?

I don't get that, i couldn't afford to live in London, so surely Londoners can afford to move out."

Moving away from family and community may mean losing childcare or not finding a job in your area of expertise.

For the first time ever London has falling migration of young adults from the rest of the country. That will mean lower numbers of children in time. Property prices are dropping as the market cools.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why not move?

Our first house was in a shit area of Southampton. When we had our son we moved. Now we have nerve agent but no knife crime or drug dealer on the corner. We did all we could at the time. Let someone else tackle the problem. Have a son not a marta to a cause.

Small towns and rural areas face other issues for their young people.

"

Not knife crime then?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why not move?

I don't get that, i couldn't afford to live in London, so surely Londoners can afford to move out.

Moving away from family and community may mean losing childcare or not finding a job in your area of expertise.

"

We moved away from family and friends and got new jobs. For the good of our children. Because they are what is most important. Everything else is secondary. Imo.

over a year ago

Why not move?

I don't get that, i couldn't afford to live in London, so surely Londoners can afford to move out."

They usually do and to Kent! So many of my previous neighbours and my best friends are all born and raised in London. They moved near me for a safer life to bring their kids up in. They had a lot of money left over from buying a house near me after selling their London property. Kent can be expensive but lots of towns here are affordable to live in.

As someone previously said, your kids come first. Let someone else, someone official deal with crime in your neighbourhood. You owe it to your kids to provide a safe Environment for them to grow up in.

My kids can go anywhere and never been touched. Same for me. Lived here all my life and I feel safe.

over a year ago

I am one of those people who watch Eastenders regularly (as a northener i find corrie unrealistic) and this whole storyline about the stabbing has been very emotional anyway but tonight's episode was very powerful and emotional.. i was in tears as the stories of real people were interspersed within the storyline of shakiel, his funeral, and how his mum, his brother, his friends and wider community deal with the aftermath of a stabbing and a needless loss of life

over a year ago

Why not move?

I can't. If I asked to be moved they would only move me local, or maybe to a just as shit area up north.

Not all Londoners have money and/or own their own home.

over a year ago

"Tonight's Eastenders is interspersed with parents of kids who lost their lives to knife crime. Appears to be London focused.

"

Knife crime has been at an all time high the last ten years. Not much if any gets reported. I don’t watch soaps. But I’m glad they are raising awareness as people should know. Every time I visit the south someone else I know has died.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Why not move?

When i moved here it was considered a good area. Things seem to be changing. Knife crime is happening all over. We cant move too far away due to job etc My son is 6 so its not an immediate concern, but if everyone ignores it where will the country be in 10 or 20 years?? "

Depends if London keeps voting in lefty's like Kahn I would imagine it will be a third world shit hole of epic proportions.

Most sensible people saw this coming for years and got the hell out of Dodge.

over a year ago

But they've been stabbing each other & "shaaaaating" on Deadenders since the 80's, so what's new?

over a year ago

A show as big as eastenders, protesting anti knife crimes and violence is brilliant. It’s a great way to put the message across to all types of people. I’ve been caught up in this for a while now, I’ve been a victim of knife crime myself, and have had a couple of friends killed. Any event to promote it will help. Last week, a few big names in the London rap scene all joined together and had a charity football match that I was involved in, this created awareness to thousands of young people as they are the artists they listen to on a daily basis.

I could go on for ages but well done eastenders you done well!

over a year ago

When I was a kid a 6" fixed bladed knife was part of the scout uniform, we all carried pen knives at all times. But knife crime was rare.

Now they are banned, and knife crime is rising. Maybe the answer is to lift the ban and teach kids to use them as s tool not a weapon?

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Totally agree knife crime awareness needs to be improved but wondering how many knife carrying gangsters stayed in to watch Eastenders?

over a year ago

We've had terrible problems with knife crime for years in Scotland but after a few stabbings in London it's suddenly a national issue

over a year ago

"We've had terrible problems with knife crime for years in Scotland but after a few stabbings in London it's suddenly a national issue "

only because you made it that way, - I hope you leave

over a year ago

It's just the current flavour in the media, even though it is a real issue nationwide. It will be something else soon..

over a year ago

I work in security my weekend job is on the doors at a busy pub 3 weeks ago we had a male pinned to the floor a 30 year old male who threatened another customer with a knife police arrested him but he laughed it off

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/07/18 21:19:54]

over a year ago

"A show as big as eastenders, protesting anti knife crimes and violence is brilliant. It’s a great way to put the message across to all types of people. I’ve been caught up in this for a while now, I’ve been a victim of knife crime myself, and have had a couple of friends killed. Any event to promote it will help. Last week, a few big names in the London rap scene all joined together and had a charity football match that I was involved in, this created awareness to thousands of young people as they are the artists they listen to on a daily basis.

I could go on for ages but well done eastenders you done well! "

Generally, Deadenders has always promoted this kind of shite, - but whatever you're in to .....

over a year ago

"We've had terrible problems with knife crime for years in Scotland but after a few stabbings in London it's suddenly a national issue

only because you made it that way, - I hope you leave"

What do you mean?

over a year ago

Unfortantly by covering it on soaps will not change the fact that we have a major issue with gangs, crime and violence. The only way this will be resolved is when and if our law ever changes and actually punishes the scum that our world is becoming flooded with until this happens the soaps can do whatever there doing but it won't change the reality of it all

over a year ago

"We've had terrible problems with knife crime for years in Scotland but after a few stabbings in London it's suddenly a national issue

only because you made it that way, - I hope you leave

What do you mean?"

London has had this problem for decades, - insularity maximus!

over a year ago

"A show as big as eastenders, protesting anti knife crimes and violence is brilliant. It’s a great way to put the message across to all types of people. I’ve been caught up in this for a while now, I’ve been a victim of knife crime myself, and have had a couple of friends killed. Any event to promote it will help. Last week, a few big names in the London rap scene all joined together and had a charity football match that I was involved in, this created awareness to thousands of young people as they are the artists they listen to on a daily basis.

I could go on for ages but well done eastenders you done well! "

Well said and I agree

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Periodically our citys police force asks People to hand In any knives etc Into the police station, this as been on going for a number of years now some of the knives or potential weapons on show before being destroyed have been frightening, I would of thought other forces in the country do It to.

over a year ago

Anyone going out with a knife they intend to use it and if they get caught with it the authoritys should make an exsample of these people and give them a stiff sentence send a clear message out to every one who carry a knife

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Why not move?

When i moved here it was considered a good area. Things seem to be changing. Knife crime is happening all over. We cant move too far away due to job etc My son is 6 so its not an immediate concern, but if everyone ignores it where will the country be in 10 or 20 years?? .

Depends if London keeps voting in lefty's like Kahn I would imagine it will be a third world shit hole of epic proportions.

Most sensible people saw this coming for years and got the hell out of Dodge."

Watching Ilford over the last 25 years id tend to agree with you.

over a year ago

"Tonight's Eastenders is interspersed with parents of kids who lost their lives to knife crime. Appears to be London focused.

"

Tear jerker

over a year ago

Why not move?

When i moved here it was considered a good area. Things seem to be changing. Knife crime is happening all over. We cant move too far away due to job etc My son is 6 so its not an immediate concern, but if everyone ignores it where will the country be in 10 or 20 years?? .

Most sensible people saw this coming for years and got the hell out of Dodge.

Watching Ilford over the last 25 years id tend to agree with you. "

I escaped Maggie's abhorrent farm in the late 80's, - sadly my advise to the kids of today some 30 years later would be exactly the same.

What is it with people, - are they totally blinded by TV propaganda or is the problem much deeper?

over a year ago

"Anyone going out with a knife they intend to use it and if they get caught with it the authoritys should make an exsample of these people and give them a stiff sentence send a clear message out to every one who carry a knife "

I slightly disagree, it's not the knives that are the problem, but the gang culture that encourages using offensive weapons on other people. Tackle the gangs not the tools, they can always find others e.g. acid.

Good example of over prescriptive measures, is when working air side in an airport, I was allowed to take in hammers screwdrivers and even a knife, but my hand sanitizer was held by security.

over a year ago

Terrifying.....

It's terrifying that watching Eastenders is what it takes for some to understand there is a problem, which has been ongoing for 30+years (longer in Glasgow) with gangs and knife crime...

London is rapidly becoming a cesspit

Post new Message to Thread