Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Musings from History

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Any favourite quotes or interesting reflections on History, or about historical figures, or by historical figures?

I'm a bit of a History freak so have loads but here's one or two I like in particular.

Yuri Gagarin. "Earth is too small for conflict and just big enough for co-operation".

William Stubbs. “There are periods in the history of nations, which are neither seed times of great principles nor harvests of great results.”

Winston Churchill. "The English never draw a line without blurring it."

Anton Chekhov. "Any idiot can face a crisis. It’s this day to day living that wears you out."

Simon Schama. “The consolation of mortality, is the gift of life”.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Alexander the Great once visited the cynic philosopher Diogenes (one of my faves), as he was a fan of his. When he asked Diogenes if there was anything he could do for him. Diogenes cussed that he could leave because he was blocking his light

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Alexander the Great once visited the cynic philosopher Diogenes (one of my faves), as he was a fan of his. When he asked Diogenes if there was anything he could do for him. Diogenes cussed that he could leave because he was blocking his light "

Nice retort!...it's got a Churchillian feel to it!

Post new Message to Thread