Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Zoos

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Are animal prisons an anachronism run for huge profits or useful places for research and saving endangered species in today’s ever changing world?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

No there about entertaining bored apes!.

The ones on the inside of the cage at least know it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Taking my kids on a day out

over a year ago

I hate zoo's, only ever been a couple of times and I just end up feeling sorry for everything inside, especially when they clearly dont have enough room to run around and explore

over a year ago

i think their days are numbered to be honest. Society won’t allow them as time goes on and we become more considerate of animal welfare. I think we will be one of the first countries to ban them. There’s nothing worse than seeing a majestic creature pacing back and forth going stir crazy with boredom.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"i think their days are numbered to be honest. Society won’t allow them as time goes on and we become more considerate of animal welfare. I think we will be one of the first countries to ban them. There’s nothing worse than seeing a majestic creature pacing back and forth going stir crazy with boredom. "

I think we should put proper men's men in with them with a big stick and charge pay per view.

There's plenty of alpha apes wanting to impress and it would solve the boredom of the majestic animals

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I think they "used" to be no more than prisons for animals put there purely for the entertainment of visitors and still are in some countries - but I think these days the focus is very much on conversation and study of the various species on the part of the zoos themselves at least, sadly there are still some visitors who see them as a form of entertainment and who don't accept that just because an animal is lying dormant and not active, they, as paying customers are somehow missing out.

I'm a pass holder at my local zoo (Colchester) and regularly visit there and other zoos that my pass gets me into and always find them fascinating and absorbing - could stand for hours just watching the chimp family and their interaction for example. Or the orangutans at Chester or Twycross are similarly fascinating to watch.

Most zoos these days have a tie in to a conservation project too and promote knowledge of the animals and their welfare, get involved in breeding programmes to further the various species etc - some of which would die out in the wild if those efforts did not go ahead.

So I'm all for them personally so long as the animals welfare always comes first - which in most UK zoos is certainly the case.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Well it's a zoo in here and I'm not complaining

over a year ago

"Are animal prisons an anachronism run for huge profits or useful places for research and saving endangered species in today’s ever changing world?

"

I take it you're not a fan?

Most zoos nowadays are a part of a worldwide network of conservators who work tirelessly to ensure that many species of animals do not become extinct, both in captivity and in the wild.

over a year ago

I went to a zoo the other day, it only had one dog in it. It’s was a Shitzu.

I’ll see myself out !

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I think they are very important but I'd like them to be bigger like Longleat

over a year ago

"Are animal prisons an anachronism run for huge profits or useful places for research and saving endangered species in today’s ever changing world?

"

Sounds like you’re a big fan of zoos, have you been to Paignton Zoo, there’s lots to see and do. Hope this helps X

over a year ago

Sounds like you’re a big fan of zoos, have you been to Paignton Zoo, there’s lots to see and do. Hope this helps X"

I like to go in the elephant house and shout ‘Is no one going to mention the elephant in the room !’

We all laugh, cause there’s an actually elephant in the room, not just euphemism for something obvious that no ones mentioned. Lol

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I think they "used" to be no more than prisons for animals put there purely for the entertainment of visitors and still are in some countries - but I think these days the focus is very much on conversation and study of the various species on the part of the zoos themselves at least, sadly there are still some visitors who see them as a form of entertainment and who don't accept that just because an animal is lying dormant and not active, they, as paying customers are somehow missing out.

I'm a pass holder at my local zoo (Colchester) and regularly visit there and other zoos that my pass gets me into and always find them fascinating and absorbing - could stand for hours just watching the chimp family and their interaction for example. Or the orangutans at Chester or Twycross are similarly fascinating to watch.

Most zoos these days have a tie in to a conservation project too and promote knowledge of the animals and their welfare, get involved in breeding programmes to further the various species etc - some of which would die out in the wild if those efforts did not go ahead.

So I'm all for them personally so long as the animals welfare always comes first - which in most UK zoos is certainly the case."

This.

My local zoo is Marwell, they do so much for research and conservation.

I think this is true of most British zoos.

over a year ago

I like to watch the giraffes and shout ‘Wind your necks in!’, that usually gets a titter too.

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I like to watch the giraffes and shout ‘Wind your necks in!’, that usually gets a titter too."

It did just then....

over a year ago

Most zoos nowadays are a part of a worldwide network of conservators who work tirelessly to ensure that many species of animals do not become extinct, both in captivity and in the wild. "

Not a great fan,no.

I saw a panorama docu about zoos and their so called ethics a while back.

The former head of San Diego and Chicago zoos revealed the illegal trading of many animals in zoos and how little they did actually care. It was an eye opener.

Chris Packham thinks it’s better for a species to die out than live incarcerated with very little hope of ever increasing dwindling populations from breeding in captivity.

I agree with him.

Just an observation that’s all.

over a year ago

Sounds like you’re a big fan of zoos, have you been to Paignton Zoo, there’s lots to see and do. Hope this helps X"

Been to that zoo, lovely I’m sure.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Most zoos nowadays are a part of a worldwide network of conservators who work tirelessly to ensure that many species of animals do not become extinct, both in captivity and in the wild.

Not a great fan,no.

The former head of San Diego and Chicago zoos revealed the illegal trading of many animals in zoos and how little they did actually care. It was an eye opener.

Chris Packham thinks it’s better for a species to die out than live incarcerated with very little hope of ever increasing dwindling populations from breeding in captivity.

I agree with him.

Just an observation that’s all."

All good and fair observations and there will of course always be good and bad things to highlight - there are some zoos abroad where lack of regulation and understanding lead to animals being tested poorly, and I daresay illegal trades etc going on.

The flip side of that is the work zoos do to promote conservation of the species not only within captivity, but in the wild too - Colchester for example has a game reserve in Africa it is very closely linked with and does a lot of work towards promoting and funding projects there, that aim to protect and prolong the various species - and I know other zoos do the same.

Sadly there is still a long way to go, it's still legal (although in the process of being made otherwise) for circuses to have animal acts in England for example and as mentioned above some countries have different views to animals and their treatment than we do here.

over a year ago

The animals love it, they don’t need to do fuck all, all day, they get there food brought to them, the gazelles can kick back knowing they’re not going to be someone’s dinner. The lions don’t have the hassle of going out trying to find food,then chasing it down, everyone’s a winner.

By *afadaoMan
over a year ago

Staines

The good thing about zoos is that the animals are a little less wild and tolerant of humans. As an example, you can occasionally spot a tame impala......

over a year ago

"

prisons for wild animals

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Not a great fan,no.

I agree with him.

Just an observation that’s all."

This is one thing I don't agree with Packham on. The animals are dying out because we have taken over their space. I believe we will get to a point where there will be more protected open space for animals but we're not quite there yet. Reintroduction programmes happen because zoos have acted as conservators for species that we were about to lose.

I'm glad Monkey World provides a nursery for orphan orang-utans.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"The good thing about zoos is that the animals are a little less wild and tolerant of humans. As an example, you can occasionally spot a tame impala......"

I thought they were all out on tour at the moment? The posters show they will be all over the place.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"The animals love it, they don’t need to do fuck all, all day, they get there food brought to them, the gazelles can kick back knowing they’re not going to be someone’s dinner. The lions don’t have the hassle of going out trying to find food,then chasing it down, everyone’s a winner. "

There was a report last week about mammals becoming more nocturnal to avoid bumping into humans.

over a year ago

Prog was shown August 2016

Last night, an eye-opening Horizon documentary on BBC Two asked, “Should we close our zoos?” Speaking to experts from around the world, the programme addressed issues such as the welfare of captive animals, the shocking “culling” of healthy animals and the “conservation con” that many zoos use to justify their existence.

The filmmakers spoke to experts on both sides of the debate – but by the end, it became increasingly clear that the answer to the question about whether zoos should be closed down is “YES!”

Here are some of the most striking facts that emerged:

1. Between 3,000 and 5,000 healthy “surplus” animals are “culled” (ie, killed) by European zoos each year.

Remember when everyone was outraged after Copenhagen Zoo killed Marius the giraffe and dissected him in front of children? Poor Marius was just the tip of the iceberg.

2. More than 90 per cent of the species kept by zoos are not endangered in the wild.

If you think zoos are mainly about conservation, you’re wrong.

3. Zoos haven’t changed as much as they’d like us to think.

Most of them still exhibit the same big “showy” animals, such as elephants and big cats, as they did in the 1820s – despite growing scientific evidence that these animals’ welfare needs can never be adequately met in captivity.

4. On average, elephants in zoos live only half as long as wild elephants.

Scientists believe that stress and obesity are the main causes of this shocking statistic. Captive elephants also frequently suffer from painful arthritis and foot conditions as a result of being kept on concrete floors and denied the chance to roam.

5. Most zoos are resistant to improving conditions.

When the Detroit Zoo in the US decided to move the elephants to a sanctuary, it faced backlash from the wider zoo industry. And zoos’ reactions to studies showing how animals suffer in captivity have been described as “negative and hostile”.

6. A study has found that around 80 per cent of carnivores engage in stereotypic behaviour in captivity.

This abnormal and repetitive behaviour, such as pacing and head shaking, serves no useful purpose, and it’s hardly ever seen in the wild. Scientists believe it reflects psychological damage.

7. SeaWorld still won’t admit that captivity is harmful to orcas, despite a wealth of research.

When asked for scientific evidence for the company’s claims, the marine park’s chief veterinarian could only cite “experiential evidence”.

8. Only a tiny 3 per cent of British zoos’ expenditure goes towards conservation projects in the field.

And that money is failing to have any real impact on conserving species.

9. Zoos’ claim that using animals as “ambassadors” helps with conservation efforts doesn’t hold up.

“There’s no evidence that seeing animals in zoos changes people’s opinion”, one expert said.

10. Around 400 pandas have been bred in captivity, but only five have ever been released – and only three of those survived.

Even though millions of pounds are being spent on efforts to reintroduce pandas into the wild, these efforts are unsustainable as long as the animals’ habitat continues to be destroyed.

11. Zoos’ captive-breeding programmes generally don’t work and send the wrong message.

Zoos have failed to save even the most “charismatic” animals, such as the great white rhino, from extinction (there are now only three of these rhinos left in the world). And they offer false hope that science can “clean up the mess” caused by humanity’s wide-scale environmental damage, distracting us from making meaningful change that will really help animals, wild or otherwise.

The programme is available on BBC iPlayer for the next 29 days, so if you didn’t catch it the first time, check it out and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.

Of course, compassionate people have known for a long time that keeping animals locked up for human entertainment can never be ethical. And, as the campaign against SeaWorld shows, public opinion is shifting, and more and more people are realising that keeping intelligent, sensitive animals behind bars is wrong.

Be part of the movement – please boycott zoos and marine parks!

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I think zoos re both for entertainment and for animal preservation and research, as you hear of some animals have been saved from extinction by zoos.

I don't think they have had their day just yet, as they seem to get visitors from all ages.

over a year ago

"The good thing about zoos is that the animals are a little less wild and tolerant of humans. As an example, you can occasionally spot a tame impala......"

Wow, what a time to be alive

Post new Message to Thread