Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dog breeds for children?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi I thought I’d ask some people on here first instead of making an account to post on a dog website forum or something lol!

Just wandered if anyone has any suggestions on breeds that are good with kids? we don’t want a Labrador size dog and don’t want a little dog maybe something in between? And one that wouldnt require a field for a back garden!? Haha Thanks In advance :D

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

And would like to have a intelligent breed of dog ?? :D

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I am not an expert but a springer spaniel would do

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Staffordshire Pitbull Terrier.

One of few breeds recommended to have with kids.

Don't be put off by the bad press.

Have a Google about the history of the breed, they used to be called 'The Nursery Dog'.

over a year ago

Springer spaniel my cousin had one and was nuts good with kids but I feel need a massive back yard to keep them happy thanks anyway and I don’t like staffys at all not about the press just think aren’t nice looking dogs :D

By *electableDalliancesCouple
over a year ago

leeds

What sort of walk time will you be able to spare a day ? As that's a massive deciding factor

over a year ago

The dog I got (jack russel crossed with a poodle) adores being around kids. Really playful yet very gentle. But at the end of the day, it depends on the dog. You could get a spaniel who despises kids but then a staffie or a rottweiler that loves them

over a year ago

Also need to think how big is their poo as it can be a lot of pick

over a year ago

"The dog I got (jack russel crossed with a poodle) adores being around kids. Really playful yet very gentle. But at the end of the day, it depends on the dog. You could get a spaniel who despises kids but then a staffie or a rottweiler that loves them"

When are you coming to London?

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman
over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

There are lots of breeds good round children. It's how the children treat the dog. People are quick to blame a dog when it bites a child but a dog can't say don't pull my tail/fur/ear, get of me I'm hot and bothered or tired.

Think about how boisterous your children are and pick a breed that matches them and your lifestyle

over a year ago

Springers are great loving dogs but are too full of energy basically like having a newborn baby that can go 30mph all the time

over a year ago

My best friend has a westie and it’s very playful especially with kids.

He has had it since a puppy tho.

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

Get a retired Greyhound. Fantastic temperament and need very little walking.

XX

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/07/18 10:55:50]

over a year ago

"The dog I got (jack russel crossed with a poodle) adores being around kids. Really playful yet very gentle. But at the end of the day, it depends on the dog. You could get a spaniel who despises kids but then a staffie or a rottweiler that loves them

When are you coming to London? "

Took a different job closer to home for a more prestigious company

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 05/07/18 10:55:50]"

Must have been good

over a year ago

"The dog I got (jack russel crossed with a poodle) adores being around kids. Really playful yet very gentle. But at the end of the day, it depends on the dog. You could get a spaniel who despises kids but then a staffie or a rottweiler that loves them

When are you coming to London?

Took a different job closer to home for a more prestigious company "

Fantastic!

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"Hi I thought I’d ask some people on here first instead of making an account to post on a dog website forum or something lol!

Just wandered if anyone has any suggestions on breeds that are good with kids? we don’t want a Labrador size dog and don’t want a little dog maybe something in between? And one that wouldnt require a field for a back garden!? Haha Thanks In advance :D "

Lhasa apso because they won't bark if the kids are going mental they only bark it they see something weird cause they are alarm dogs also they are really chill dogs

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/07/18 10:59:27]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 05/07/18 10:59:27]"

Did you want to say something?

over a year ago

Get a cat. Needs much less attention and if it gets pissed off it will disappear and do it’s own thing.

By *rinity666Man
over a year ago

Away for work abroad long term,

my wife and I have a landseer and a Newfoundland.. both beautiful and fantastic with kids..the landseer always wants to save them in the pool or lake when we swim together. they dont eat anything more than a normal sized dog.. loads of love and cuddles.. pm if you would like more info ...xx

over a year ago

Visit Your local rescue centre they will have info on the dogs they have that will suit you... good with kids,ok with cats, etc.... plus you give a homeless mutt a 2nd chance... mines a heinz 57 and she's beautiful and brings joy to my life xx

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

"Visit Your local rescue centre they will have info on the dogs they have that will suit you... good with kids,ok with cats, etc.... plus you give a homeless mutt a 2nd chance... mines a heinz 57 and she's beautiful and brings joy to my life xx"

Exactly this ....and they will also help you with microchipping .... the dog will be flead and wormed , vet checked..... and please please get insurance it is so important ....

over a year ago

King Charles Spaniel.

And a decent vacuum.

over a year ago

"Staffordshire Pitbull Terrier.

Have a Google about the history of the breed, they used to be called 'The Nursery Dog'."

over a year ago

"Visit Your local rescue centre they will have info on the dogs they have that will suit you... good with kids,ok with cats, etc.... plus you give a homeless mutt a 2nd chance... mines a heinz 57 and she's beautiful and brings joy to my life xx

Exactly this ....and they will also help you with microchipping .... the dog will be flead and wormed , vet checked..... and please please get insurance it is so important ...."

Do you have a dog?

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"There are lots of breeds good round children. It's how the children treat the dog. People are quick to blame a dog when it bites a child but a dog can't say don't pull my tail/fur/ear, get of me I'm hot and bothered or tired.

Think about how boisterous your children are and pick a breed that matches them and your lifestyle "

^ Best advice so far

over a year ago

"Staffordshire Pitbull Terrier.

Have a Google about the history of the breed, they used to be called 'The Nursery Dog'."

over a year ago

"I am not an expert but a springer spaniel would do "

Nope- they need a lot of walking.

A Cocker Spaniel would be better x

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"I am not an expert but a springer spaniel would do

Nope- they need a lot of walking.

A Cocker Spaniel would be better x"

Get the spaniel, at least they will bring the ball back

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Pitbull. Not known as the nanny dog for nothing

Can get a licence for a pibble from cops

By *aven1972Man
over a year ago

Doncaster

Spaniels are good, but need good walks and are very bouncy until around 5 years old, Jack Russell's make a good family dogs nd take a bit let walking than a spaniel, make sure you go to a good breeder who are kennel club registered, if he is reputable breeder he will be willing to give details of people who will review him, or check out the internet, or someone you know. All the best and have great fun with your new family member

over a year ago

I have a Doberman she is amazing with my daughter

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

"Visit Your local rescue centre they will have info on the dogs they have that will suit you... good with kids,ok with cats, etc.... plus you give a homeless mutt a 2nd chance... mines a heinz 57 and she's beautiful and brings joy to my life xx

Exactly this ....and they will also help you with microchipping .... the dog will be flead and wormed , vet checked..... and please please get insurance it is so important ....

Do you have a dog?"

Yes I do mr banana man

By *athnBobCouple
over a year ago

sandwell

I would say staffy, there is not a comparable dog, but you have ruled that out.

Contact a small local rescue rather than one of the big ones. They know the dogs on an individual basis already. In all likely hood you can talk to the foster carer as well

over a year ago

"Get a retired Greyhound. Fantastic temperament and need very little walking.

XX"

I agree. A guy I used to work with worked for a greyhound rehoming charity and had 3 of them. They were great dogs and very calm and gentle and need surprisingly minimal exercise.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

A staff. I've had them all my life and always around my kids. I currently have 2 a all singing and dancing full pedigree and 1 rescue. He's the 2nd rescue staff I've had and by far the most loyal and trustworthy. Least he is now he's with me and not the smack head that kicked the shit out of him braking his jaw and ribs. So wish I could find the cunt.

over a year ago

"Hi I thought I’d ask some people on here first instead of making an account to post on a dog website forum or something lol!

Just wandered if anyone has any suggestions on breeds that are good with kids? we don’t want a Labrador size dog and don’t want a little dog maybe something in between? And one that wouldnt require a field for a back garden!? Haha Thanks In advance :D "

Sorry not read the full thread.

However, how old are your kids?

How much spare time do you/they have on a morning+evening?

Are you/they moderately active?

I'm biased and will say boxer or a boxer cross everytime as I had one from 12 years old through to 21 and she was the best. My friends (married with kids) adopted one recently as their kid has turned 3 now, and they love their's, ultra loyal and protective of the kid, and always wants to play tug of war with everyone, but knows how rough to be with adults vs kids.

over a year ago

The dog that I have and must recommend is a Leonberger. I cannot ever recommend a better dog for children and gentle temperment, even with my childhood being surrounded by springers and golden retrievers. Obviously there's the never 100% trust a dog argument but with my Leonberger I'm pretty damn close. Only trouble is molting, as boy does their fluff get everywhere.

over a year ago

Go down to your local rescue centre. A lot of loving dogs need homes. They can also help you to see if any dog would be suitable for your living arrangements and to see if your family and the dog get on.

Dogs are a huge responsibility and the love from a rescue dog is so rewarding.

over a year ago

"And would like to have a intelligent breed of dog ?? :D"

Again, boxer or a boxer cross with another 'working breed'.

I mean all dogs are smart, some just seem to have a more natural inclination to obey commands.

But yeah, boxers and boxer crosses.

Super protective over anyone they come to know, especially younger kids.

Once you manage to get them to calm down they are pretty quick to learn basic commands via operative conditioning.

Loyal and affectionate without compare.

over a year ago

"Go down to your local rescue centre. A lot of loving dogs need homes. They can also help you to see if any dog would be suitable for your living arrangements and to see if your family and the dog get on.

Dogs are a huge responsibility and the love from a rescue dog is so rewarding. "

over a year ago

When choosing a dog around kids. Think about your kids temperament too lol as in are they quiet or lively. So they don’t clash an get on. We’ve had a few rescue dogs. Any dog can be great with kids. It is down to up bringing.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Greyhound -the bus that is -get them as far away from you as you possibly can -you know they have to be of legal age on here

over a year ago

Just wandered if anyone has any suggestions on breeds that are good with kids? we don’t want a Labrador size dog and don’t want a little dog maybe something in between? And one that wouldnt require a field for a back garden!? Haha Thanks In advance :D

When choosing a dog around kids. Think about your kids temperament too lol as in are they quiet or lively. So they don’t clash an get on. We’ve had a few rescue dogs. Any dog can be great with kids. It is down to up bringing.

"

To add to this though, dogs are great if you have a child who is a bit introverted, quiet, shy, maybe with a small circle of friends (description of me at 12). Just generally dogs are amazing for them, they get them out of the house and down the fields or to the woods, they are an excuse to take them to National Parks, dogs tend to love your children's friends...

That said, don't get a dog that's going to need at least an hour walk in heavy rain in winter if someone in the household cannot do that and is not prepared to do that.

over a year ago

We have a lurcher bull cross, sleeps 20 hours a day, looks and sounds scary, let's the child away with all sorts. Best natured dog we have ever had. So good the wifes sister got a double of him, 5 kids, youngest 3 and rags him about, never so much as nipped. Also runs at 40mph which is amazing to watch and loves nothing more than cuddling up with you be it day or night.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I can only suggest a border collie

As I was brought up with one, my nieces & nephews were brought up with one as well. I know this isn't quite what you are looking for though.

over a year ago

Any dog can bite and act out of character. Pick one you can fight off a child, in the event of an attack.

My neighbour has some kind of pitb ull cross and it's huge; he can barely hold it back when it lunges at my dogs, through the gap in the fence.

I'm still wary of my two's teeth when I move them away from the fence, and they're Jack Russell size.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/07/18 19:24:46]

over a year ago

There isn't a type of dog that is good or bad with kids it's how you bring them up. And how they are trained. By the sound of what your looking for. Ie.not too big not to small basically doesn't require much exercise id get a cat if i was you or a gold fish. All dogs need exercise

Post new Message to Thread