Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sunbathing naked in your garden

Jump to newest

By *aptain V OP   Man
over a year ago

Birstall, Leicester

Apparently we are not allowed to sunbathe naked in our own gardens.

Maybe the neighbours should stop looking if they don't like it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Is that the same thing for walking naked down the street? Don’t look if you don’t want to see?

Not sure I want to explain that reasoning to my gran when there are blokes walking about with their tackle out

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

You can the law is subjective to the circumstances. If you are doing it discreetly you will be ok. If you are wandering about waving a boner around you will come unstuck.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Think it really depends on the garden, if it’s your front garden and it’s opposite a school then it’s not on.

If it’s your back garden and it’s not overlooked by anyone else then it’s up to you.

Unfortunately some men like to expose themselves and this is unpleasant to the unwilling recipients, an ex of mine always had anxiety when using a public carpark cos a perv exposed himself to her when she was a child.

You prancing about in your back garden tackle in plain view could certainly have a similar impact.

By *idnight OwlWoman
over a year ago

P ~ WR10

I received a warning back in 2006 for this Nosey neighbour didn’t like it... they were rather stuck up. Thing is i used to bathe in a spot that no one could see me from except neighbours but they would have to crane neck from their upstairs window to see me. It’s wrong, so long as it isn’t an observable position (ie if they could see directly by just looking down from window) and your not doing anything lewd then why is there an issue!?

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

Technically, there is no law against being nude in public in the United Kingdom. Simple nudity is not illegal. Even performing what someone might consider to be an obscene act in a public place may not be against the law.

It all depends on the circumstances.

Intention and Context

There are three laws that apply and all of them are open to interpretation depending on why the nudity is happening and where.

1.The Public Order Act of 1986 prohibits behavior that is "threatening, abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress".

In practice, this means that if you are nude, minding your own business and practicing good nude beach etiquette on a beach that is unofficial but, by common consent, considered to be a nude beach, you are unlikely to have any problem. In England and Wales, if someone—a policeman or a member of the public—asks you to cover up, you should do so or you could be arrested. You probably would not be charged because someone would have to prove that you were deliberately trying to cause offense. But refusing to cover up when asked could cause you a great deal of inconvenience and, at the very least, ruin a good day out.

It's a misconception that the laws about this are stricter in Scotland, In fact, the very same laws apply in Scotland as in England and Wales. But "intention" is only part of the story. "Context" is the other and in Scotland, where people are less tolerant of public nudity, you are much more likely to end up in the slammer.

2. The Sex Offences Act of 2003: Indecent Exposure relates to sexually motivated exposure of one's genitals, with the specific intention that someone will see them. Again, sunbathing, or naked cycling, like participating in the annual World Naked Bike Ride, isn't likely to get you into trouble. But hop off your bike or up from your beach blanket and deliberately wave your wobbly bits at someone and you're in trouble.

3.Outraging Public Decency is a common law offense that makes it a crime to perform actions or displays in public places that "outrage generally accepted standards of decency" and that are witnessed by at least two people. Since June 2015 the interpretation of this has become stricter. A Law Commission report recommended that this offense be moved from the common law to the statute books and that the requirement that two people be present be removed. Under the proposed statute, the person committing the act must be aware that he or she might be in a public place and that "the act or display was of such a nature as to cause outrage to ordinary people." So if you are thinking of going off into the dunes for a bit of rumpy pumpy in private, forget it.

over a year ago

I wouldn't really call my outside space a garden..

Plus im not overlooked anyway

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

My next door neighbour is so nosey ... I couldnt ... unless he is away on holiday ..

By *erri AnneTV/TS
over a year ago

Shannon and Costa Blanca

"I received a warning back in 2006 for this Nosey neighbour didn’t like it... they were rather stuck up. Thing is i used to bathe in a spot that no one could see me from except neighbours but they would have to crane neck from their upstairs window to see me. It’s wrong, so long as it isn’t an observable position (ie if they could see directly by just looking down from window) and your not doing anything lewd then why is there an issue!? "

I bet it was her as she was jealous of her husband straining himself to look at your hot body

T

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I'm overlooked at every bloody angle apart from about a square foot. I'd have to squat too.

I do love the feeling of a breeze on my naked skin.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

It's on the Jeremy vine show now

over a year ago

"I wouldn't really call my outside space a garden..

Plus im not overlooked anyway "

I’m sure nobody would overlook you.

over a year ago

"Think it really depends on the garden, if it’s your front garden and it’s opposite a school then it’s not on.

If it’s your back garden and it’s not overlooked by anyone else then it’s up to you.

Unfortunately some men like to expose themselves and this is unpleasant to the unwilling recipients, an ex of mine always had anxiety when using a public carpark cos a perv exposed himself to her when she was a child.

You prancing about in your back garden tackle in plain view could certainly have a similar impact. "

It's disgusting for men or women to expose themselves to people unless it's consensual.

over a year ago

"Technically, there is no law against being nude in public in the United Kingdom. Simple nudity is not illegal. Even performing what someone might consider to be an obscene act in a public place may not be against the law.

Intention and Context

There are three laws that apply and all of them are open to interpretation depending on why the nudity is happening and where.

1.The Public Order Act of 1986 prohibits behavior that is "threatening, abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress".

In practice, this means that if you are nude, minding your own business and practicing good nude beach etiquette on a beach that is unofficial but, by common consent, considered to be a nude beach, you are unlikely to have any problem. In England and Wales, if someone—a policeman or a member of the public—asks you to cover up, you should do so or you could be arrested. You probably would not be charged because someone would have to prove that you were deliberately trying to cause offense. But refusing to cover up when asked could cause you a great deal of inconvenience and, at the very least, ruin a good day out.

It's a misconception that the laws about this are stricter in Scotland, In fact, the very same laws apply in Scotland as in England and Wales. But "intention" is only part of the story. "Context" is the other and in Scotland, where people are less tolerant of public nudity, you are much more likely to end up in the slammer.

2. The Sex Offences Act of 2003: Indecent Exposure relates to sexually motivated exposure of one's genitals, with the specific intention that someone will see them. Again, sunbathing, or naked cycling, like participating in the annual World Naked Bike Ride, isn't likely to get you into trouble. But hop off your bike or up from your beach blanket and deliberately wave your wobbly bits at someone and you're in trouble.

3.Outraging Public Decency is a common law offense that makes it a crime to perform actions or displays in public places that "outrage generally accepted standards of decency" and that are witnessed by at least two people. Since June 2015 the interpretation of this has become stricter. A Law Commission report recommended that this offense be moved from the common law to the statute books and that the requirement that two people be present be removed. Under the proposed statute, the person committing the act must be aware that he or she might be in a public place and that "the act or display was of such a nature as to cause outrage to ordinary people." So if you are thinking of going off into the dunes for a bit of rumpy pumpy in private, forget it.

"

Reading that made me think,thank f**k I am not a lawyer.

over a year ago

Meh, they shouldnt be looking into someone elses garden! As long as there are no minors within seeing distance, then its nobody elses beeswax!

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

How can you stop someone looking out of their window in a certain direction?

“The second bedroom has a lovely view towards the river, but please don’t look to the left”

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/07/18 15:15:09]

over a year ago

"I received a warning back in 2006 for this Nosey neighbour didn’t like it... they were rather stuck up. Thing is i used to bathe in a spot that no one could see me from except neighbours but they would have to crane neck from their upstairs window to see me. It’s wrong, so long as it isn’t an observable position (ie if they could see directly by just looking down from window) and your not doing anything lewd then why is there an issue!? "

Welcome to move next door to me:p

over a year ago

My neighbours have never complained, and I don't complain about them , each to their own

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Gosh I do that,if my horrid neighbours reported me I'd stuff it right up their arses.

over a year ago

My neighbours complained about me, but I politely reminded them it’s only that big!

over a year ago

"I received a warning back in 2006 for this Nosey neighbour didn’t like it... they were rather stuck up. Thing is i used to bathe in a spot that no one could see me from except neighbours but they would have to crane neck from their upstairs window to see me. It’s wrong, so long as it isn’t an observable position (ie if they could see directly by just looking down from window) and your not doing anything lewd then why is there an issue!?

Gosh I do that,if my horrid neighbours reported me I'd stuff it right up their arses."

What would you do?

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I have been walking /gardening and sunbathing naked in my garden for 40 years we have 6ft plus fence. The neighbours were warned when they moved in some 10 years ago. Up to them to stop the kids looking if it offends them they wont look.

Im not in the slightest bothered

over a year ago

I wish my next door neighbour would sunbathe naked, she’s fit as fuck.

By *hingy2Woman
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Technically, there is no law against being nude in public in the United Kingdom. Simple nudity is not illegal. Even performing what someone might consider to be an obscene act in a public place may not be against the law.

Intention and Context

Reading that made me think,thank f**k I am not a lawyer."

By *ick71Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Wish you was my neighbour. I may even ask if i can join you

over a year ago

This where Estate Agents are going wrong.

They need a database of naked friendly houses so we could all stick together and express ourselves freely.

Naked good mornings and casual nude hellos from a yon window.

By *en.....emMan
over a year ago

West mids

My wife been sunbathing naked in garden fir last fortnight...been no complaints

over a year ago

We don't even have a garden

Joys of living in a flat.

~Mia

By *erri AnneTV/TS
over a year ago

Shannon and Costa Blanca

"My wife been sunbathing naked in garden fir last fortnight...been no complaints"

They would not with that body

Post new Message to Thread