Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Work away volunteering

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone done this? Gone to a foreign country and built an orphanage or helped with animal conservation, things like that.

I've been looking into it and it seems really rewarding.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've never had the opportunity. It's something I would seriously consider if I didn't have commitments here.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I know lots of people who've done it. They find it very rewarding. If you can afford to fund yourself and take the time off work do it

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Anyone done this? Gone to a foreign country and built an orphanage or helped with animal conservation, things like that.

I've been looking into it and it seems really rewarding. "

Pointless. Too much corruption in such countries and the charities "helping" them. Why not volunteer in the UK?

over a year ago

"Anyone done this? Gone to a foreign country and built an orphanage or helped with animal conservation, things like that.

Pointless. Too much corruption in such countries and the charities "helping" them. Why not volunteer in the UK?"

Incorrect. Massive sweeping generalisation, do your research, there’s plenty of excellent opportunities to volunteer abroad positively without this kind of rumourmongering.

But, yes volunteering in UK also a great opportunity.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Do your research. Charity abuses. Corrupt regimes in many African countries. Most projects abandoned soon after completion.

At the London Olympic Games. Malawi, the 4th poorest country in the world too how many suites at Claridges? Arrived in how many Rolls Royces and took how many 1st class flights.

Their head of state complained about not being allowed a new private jet.

That is where the funds are siphoned off to, whilst the country starves.

over a year ago

"Do your research. Charity abuses. Corrupt regimes in many African countries. Most projects abandoned soon after completion.

At the London Olympic Games. Malawi, the 4th poorest country in the world too how many suites at Claridges? Arrived in how many Rolls Royces and took how many 1st class flights.

Their head of state complained about not being allowed a new private jet.

That is where the funds are siphoned off to, whilst the country starves.

"

I’m not sure why you’re throwing examples at me? I didn’t say there was never issue (not that I’m answering to your explicit examples by saying that), I think you’d agree that doesn’t mean *all* opportunities would be, and that your comment that it was pointless is this a sweeping generalisation. If you do believe there is no hope whatsoever, then I actually feel bad for you, Andy, such overarching cynicism must be a hard place to operate from.

over a year ago

I've been looking into it and it seems really rewarding. "

Try the VSO website as a starting point but you generally need to have a useful trade

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I volunteer kinky bird to sit on my face.

over a year ago

Try the VSO website as a starting point but you generally need to have a useful trade "

VSO costs quite a lot of money as well. There is also another site called "Workaway" - people/organisations post on the site that they want some help with a project and then you can apply to them. It covers the world and it's a good way to travel. Most of the opportunities are bed and board only but some of them are paid - some are for house/pet sitters. Free to join the website.

over a year ago

"I volunteer kinky bird to sit on my face. "

Will I do

over a year ago

"I volunteer kinky bird to sit on my face. "

You would suffocate

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Try the VSO website as a starting point but you generally need to have a useful trade

VSO costs quite a lot of money as well. There is also another site called "Workaway" - people/organisations post on the site that they want some help with a project and then you can apply to them. It covers the world and it's a good way to travel. Most of the opportunities are bed and board only but some of them are paid - some are for house/pet sitters. Free to join the website. "

Ooh, that one sounds interesting. The website I looked at was called Ikoporan, but I may have to look up the one you mentioned.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I volunteer kinky bird to sit on my face.

Will I do "

oh yes!

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

You would suffocate "

I’d recite poetry till I went silent.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

Where I work there is a Doctors without borders program running in the north of the country.

Volunteer help with medical aid to those who cannot afford or gain access to medical facilities.

There is a French woman who comes out every four months and she finds it very rewarding.

Please remember depending on what you volunteer for you could find yourself in some very unforgiving places and encounter some very harsh reality so to speak.

over a year ago

You would suffocate I’d recite poetry till I went silent. "

Only if it was roger mcgough

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I volunteered in a backward poor country... Wales ..on a narrow gauge railway lol

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

You would suffocate I’d recite poetry till I went silent.

Only if it was roger mcgough"

I was thinking more ‘the owl and the pussy cat’

Post new Message to Thread