Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cold sores

Jump to newest

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

So, I've eoken up this morning with a cold sore on my bottom lip. Before I nip down to Boots and buy Zovirax, which is the only thing I

Know that works, what remedies/old wives tales do others use to get rid of them?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Liquorice... my nan always gave it to me and it worked, that and aftershave lol

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Liquorice... my nan always gave it to me and it worked, that and aftershave lol "

I suppose aftershave might dry it out but how does licorice work? Never heard of that one before, oh, and I hate the taste of it.

over a year ago

Isn’t that like herpesvirus

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Isn’t that like herpesvirus "

That's exactly what it is, and very common.

Apparently most people catch it when quite young. Once you have it it lies dormant and erupts periodically as cold sores. As far as i'm aware there is no cure so just has to be managed.

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

Try perfume or aftershave. The over the counter remedies don't work!

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Try perfume or aftershave. The over the counter remedies don't work! "

over a year ago

Zovirax definitely works.

By *idsBiGuyMan
over a year ago

Tamworth

Zovirax. It contains acciclovir, an antiviral that fights HSV-1 (which usually causes cold sores)

Don’t give any oral sex whilst you have it, as there’s a very high risk of passing it on (but I’m sure you already knew that!)

That said, if you already have HSV-1, the likelihood of you ever getting HSV-2 (the type normally associated with genital herpes) is very very low.

Unfortunately the old wives’ tales are just that and are unlikely to do anything, so stick with the Zovirax

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Zovirax. It contains acciclovir, an antiviral that fights HSV-1 (which usually causes cold sores)

Don’t give any oral sex whilst you have it, as there’s a very high risk of passing it on (but I’m sure you already knew that!)

That said, if you already have HSV-1, the likelihood of you ever getting HSV-2 (the type normally associated with genital herpes) is very very low.

Unfortunately the old wives’ tales are just that and are unlikely to do anything, so stick with the Zovirax"

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

I’m not sure if this will work the same on cold sores and with them being so visible I’d only do it if you’re staying in but if I get a bad bite or pimple I put nail polish over it and leave it for at least a couple of hours then peel it off. It’s unbelievably good, draws all the bad stuff out and stops the air getting to it which often makes the infection worse.

over a year ago

"Liquorice... my nan always gave it to me and it worked, that and aftershave lol

I suppose aftershave might dry it out but how does licorice work? Never heard of that one before, oh, and I hate the taste of it."

Honestly, Google it, liquorice root

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

"Liquorice... my nan always gave it to me and it worked, that and aftershave lol

I suppose aftershave might dry it out but how does licorice work? Never heard of that one before, oh, and I hate the taste of it.

Honestly, Google it, liquorice root "

Honestly one of the nicest things to have. Been so long since I’ve had any, part of my family is jamaican and they always have some... now I’m going to have to get some aren’t I. Inadvertently given me a huge craving

over a year ago

Honestly one of the nicest things to have. Been so long since I’ve had any, part of my family is jamaican and they always have some... now I’m going to have to get some aren’t I. Inadvertently given me a huge craving "

I love the taste of liquorice, Berties All sorts take a bashing in this house lol x

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Blow lamp...

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

Honestly one of the nicest things to have. Been so long since I’ve had any, part of my family is jamaican and they always have some... now I’m going to have to get some aren’t I. Inadvertently given me a huge craving

I love the taste of liquorice, Berties All sorts take a bashing in this house lol x"

Glad I’m not in your house because those jelly ones are worth burning bridges for

over a year ago

I love the taste of liquorice, Berties All sorts take a bashing in this house lol x

Glad I’m not in your house because those jelly ones are worth burning bridges for "

I love a good sweet lol

over a year ago

L-lysine, an amino acid available in health stores and pharmacies, will reduce the duration of the eruption and prevent further outbreaks. Also the cold sore patches speed up healing and reduce the pain/itch.

Not old wives tales, simple fact.

Btw, are you taking any other supplements? Because arginine can actually promote the incidence of cold sores.

By *eganbabygirlWoman
over a year ago

Newry

Boots have their own brand cold sore clear lotion which dries it up very quickly.

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"So, I've eoken up this morning with a cold sore on my bottom lip. Before I nip down to Boots and buy Zovirax, which is the only thing I

Know that works, what remedies/old wives tales do others use to get rid of them?"

Don't no. I don't think ive ever had a cold sore befor.

Isount cold sores the hurp various ?

over a year ago

Compeed do cold sore plasters and they've always worked for me, I've found if I use zovirax it'll work once and then I'll get a huge one after that nothing will touch.

Ginger

By *olliPineCouple
over a year ago

swingers clubs

The pound shops do their own brand of aciclovir cream in the same strength as branded cold sore creams.

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"The pound shops do their own brand of aciclovir cream in the same strength as branded cold sore creams."

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"Boots have their own brand cold sore clear lotion which dries it up very quickly. "

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

Thanks people. Think I'll check out the aciclovir cream at the pound shops but get some Zovirax as well just in case the cheap stuff doesn't do the business.

over a year ago

Just check the ingredients in the pound shop cream and if its the same as zovirux then it will do the same job.

By *olliPineCouple
over a year ago

swingers clubs

There's also creams with lidocaine in them to numb it, if it's painful. I think Blistex do this one but there may be others.

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

Just bought the one at the pound shop after checking the ingredients were exactly the same as Zovirax, that one was on the shelf next to it for £5. Shows how the big names are just a rip off!

By *urity555Man
over a year ago

south west

"L-lysine, an amino acid available in health stores and pharmacies, will reduce the duration of the eruption and prevent further outbreaks. Also the cold sore patches speed up healing and reduce the pain/itch.

Btw, are you taking any other supplements? Because arginine can actually promote the incidence of cold sores."

I won’t use anything else! You can get it in cream form as well as tablets. Both have removed my cold sores quicker than any other commercial product

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"L-lysine, an amino acid available in health stores and pharmacies, will reduce the duration of the eruption and prevent further outbreaks. Also the cold sore patches speed up healing and reduce the pain/itch.

Btw, are you taking any other supplements? Because arginine can actually promote the incidence of cold sores."

d

There's still ongoing research into the effects of L-lysine supplement on Herpes and it's likely very dose dependent. It's likely to need 3 g/d minimum to be effective: and effectiveness is measured on population groups, rather than meaning it's effective for every individual. It's likely to need a low arginine diet to be effective too, as the poster mentioned.

If you have cardiovascular or gallbladder disease, exercise caution due to the theoretical risks of lysine supplementation.

But no one here is doing anything other than offering some background information that we know about, rather than proposing that you should take a particular approach. Pharmacists are always great people to speak with, due to the wealth of their training and knowledge.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Aciclovir 400mg tablets are used to: treat or prevent herpes simplex infections of the skin and mucous membranes e.g. cold sores and genital herpes

over a year ago

"Thanks people. Think I'll check out the aciclovir cream at the pound shops but get some Zovirax as well just in case the cheap stuff doesn't do the business."

I’ve tried various stuff. If Zovirax isn’t applied with an hour it’s too late, and then it’s two weeks till the scab is gone vodka does work on killing the top viral but doesn’t get deep in the nerves. I know you can get something for the doctors.

Regards catching it; I was single 9 months when I got my first outbreak. The doctor explained it can lay dormant for years!!!

By *idsBiGuyMan
over a year ago

Tamworth

"Regards catching it; I was single 9 months when I got my first outbreak. The doctor explained it can lay dormant for years!!!"

Unfortunately this is true. Also, about 60% of the adult population of the UK carry HSV1 and about 10% HSV2.

Most folk come in to contact with it during childhood but the good news is it doesn't usually cause any major problems. Most people don't know they have it.

over a year ago

"So, I've eoken up this morning with a cold sore on my bottom lip. Before I nip down to Boots and buy Zovirax, which is the only thing I

Know that works, what remedies/old wives tales do others use to get rid of them?"

I've tried them all, nothing works anywhere near as good as Erpesan does. I normally buy it when I'm in the Canaries, it's around 9 euros for a tiny roll-on. I'm not sure it it's available over here but I would have thought you'd find it online.

By *s_macWoman
over a year ago

Traffic land

I can be prone if I’m run down and the other time is summer. I make sure I use a lip balm with an spf and that definitely helps lessen the number of attacks.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Just bought the one at the pound shop after checking the ingredients were exactly the same as Zovirax, that one was on the shelf next to it for £5. Shows how the big names are just a rip off!"

Same with hayfever stuff.

over a year ago

Apparently tomatoes can help *cause* cold sores. Does anyone know of that's true?

By *utie91Woman
over a year ago

Hitchin

Tesco’s own cold sore cream contains the same ingredients as Zovirax at half the price.

It is more runny but I find it works quite well.

The best thing I’ve found is to just try and prevent them altogether. I use tons of Vaseline and lip balm to try and keep my lips soft so they don’t split so I don’t get a cold sore. Every now and then I will have a flair up, but luckily I get them less often now

over a year ago

"Apparently tomatoes can help *cause* cold sores. Does anyone know of that's true?"

I think it's more so that they interfere with the healing process as they're quite acidic.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

The sun and wind always start mine of ....they can be very painfull... I use cymex

Keep it in the fridge ... it has a pain relief in it .. better than zovorax

By *aximus74Woman
over a year ago

Manchester

"Thanks people. Think I'll check out the aciclovir cream at the pound shops but get some Zovirax as well just in case the cheap stuff doesn't do the business."

I had one last week (came up Thursday night) I sprayed normal deodorant on it and covered with toothpaste, next day it was out and was honestly going by the afternoon, really worked a treat..

I find zovirax makes them worse as draws them out more..

By *xhib12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Blyth

Just an update.

The cheap stuff from the pound shop appears to be working fine. It's drawn it out very quickly and I hope to be free of it in another 2 or 3 days.

I'd certainly recommend it. It's called Lipsore.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

I wonder if you can use it on other areas ....

over a year ago

Lysine tablets and ice cubes on the sore.

By *istyblue1967Man
over a year ago

manchester

i find zovirax doesnt really work just slows it down.

ive tried a slice of garlic too. didnt really stop it. nothing works

Post new Message to Thread