Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Spitting...

Jump to newest

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

So, I'm being subjected to watching the football this evening.

It's not a game I enjoy and I refuse point blank to show support for 22 millionaires chasing a bag of wind.

But my biggest complaint with football is the players spitting all over the pitch.

It's disgusting, why do they do it?

You don't see it so much (if at all) in any other sports so why do these overpaid twats feel they can can do it?

They are meant to be setting an example, young people idolise them and ultimately may emulate them.

The FA ought to make a stand and stop them a week's pay for every time they are caught spitting on camera.

End of rant.

See this is how cross football makes me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wholeheartedly agree.

over a year ago

Becauae footy is a gents game played by thugs?

over a year ago

People from all sports spit, not sure where this notion that it is only football players that do it.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Yes, it's pretty gross. Good idea about losing a weeks pay!!

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

All athletes spit

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"So, I'm being subjected to watching the football this evening.

It's not a game I enjoy and I refuse point blank to show support for 22 millionaires chasing a bag of wind.

But my biggest complaint with football is the players spitting all over the pitch.

You don't see it so much (if at all) in any other sports so why do these overpaid twats feel they can can do it?

They are meant to be setting an example, young people idolise them and ultimately may emulate them.

The FA ought to make a stand and stop them a week's pay for every time they are caught spitting on camera.

End of rant.

See this is how cross football makes me "

Only reason it would ever happen in rugby would be for blood but in football the etiquette just isn't there partly because of bad role models

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"Becauae footy is a gents game played by thugs?"

I don't think they have enough testosterone between them to say they are thugs but they certainly seem to attract a thuggish following.

I just don't get what it is that makes them need to spit?

Is it beneficial?

Do they produce more saliva than the rest of us?

It's just such a stomach churning act... And then they are sliding and rolling around in it

over a year ago

End of rant.

sorry when you run around in heat like they are all sorts comes in your mouth, Spit it out

over a year ago

I’m pretty sure if I was belting it round a field for ages, I’d spit. Actually, I’d probably vomit!

over a year ago

End of rant.

sorry when you run around in heat like they are all sorts comes in your mouth, Spit it out

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

End of rant.

See this is how cross football makes me sorry when you run around in heat like they are all sorts comes in your mouth, Spit it out "

I've played rugby in all weather for 12 years and never once have I felt the need to spit on the pitch

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

End of rant.

Only reason it would ever happen in rugby would be for blood but in football the etiquette just isn't there partly because of bad role models "

rugby players spit all the time

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"All athletes spit"

I can't say I've noticed it in any other sports. Rugby perhaps if they have a mouthful of blood? And again that's disgusting, not to mention extremely unhygienic.

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

End of rant.

Only reason it would ever happen in rugby would be for blood but in football the etiquette just isn't there partly because of bad role models rugby players spit all the time"

I did specify for blood, we respect the pitch so we only spit out blood if you spat normally you would be called out by the home team trust me

over a year ago

End of rant.

See this is how cross football makes me sorry when you run around in heat like they are all sorts comes in your mouth, Spit it out

I've played rugby in all weather for 12 years and never once have I felt the need to spit on the pitch "

let me see your nose

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

End of rant.

See this is how cross football makes me sorry when you run around in heat like they are all sorts comes in your mouth, Spit it out

I've played rugby in all weather for 12 years and never once have I felt the need to spit on the pitch let me see your nose "

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left

over a year ago

End of rant.

I've played rugby in all weather for 12 years and never once have I felt the need to spit on the pitch let me see your nose

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left "

cmon it got bigger with that previous message

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"I just don't get what it is that makes them need to spit?

Is it beneficial?

Do they produce more saliva than the rest of us?"

I don’t mean to be cheeky, but do you do much exercise?

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

End of rant.

I've played rugby in all weather for 12 years and never once have I felt the need to spit on the pitch let me see your nose

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left cmon it got bigger with that previous message "

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

End of rant.

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left cmon it got bigger with that previous message "

Hand on heart the only time I have spat on the pitch when it wasn't blood was when I got deep heat in my mouth (don't know how)

over a year ago

"All athletes spit

I can't say I've noticed it in any other sports. Rugby perhaps if they have a mouthful of blood? And again that's disgusting, not to mention extremely unhygienic."

Footballers run continuously for ages without a drink. I’d say that adds to it.

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"I just don't get what it is that makes them need to spit?

Is it beneficial?

Do they produce more saliva than the rest of us?

I don’t mean to be cheeky, but do you do much exercise?"

Yes, and I've never felt the need to spit. Cheffy has played rugby all his life and now referees and teaches refs and coaching... He doesn't spit either.

Are you suggesting excersise makes you need to spit?

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"All athletes spit

I can't say I've noticed it in any other sports. Rugby perhaps if they have a mouthful of blood? And again that's disgusting, not to mention extremely unhygienic.

Footballers run continuously for ages without a drink. I’d say that adds to it. "

Your mouth would get dry if you didn't drink wouldn't it

over a year ago

End of rant.

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left cmon it got bigger with that previous message

Hand on heart the only time I have spat on the pitch when it wasn't blood was when I got deep heat in my mouth (don't know how) "

see you spat once negates your claim sorry

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

End of rant.

Broke it 3 times haven't got much nose left cmon it got bigger with that previous message

Hand on heart the only time I have spat on the pitch when it wasn't blood was when I got deep heat in my mouth (don't know how) see you spat once negates your claim sorry "

It was deep heat in my mouth

over a year ago

"All athletes spit

Your mouth would get dry if you didn't drink wouldn't it "

Ha no, aerobic exercise builds up more saliva.

over a year ago

End of rant.

Hand on heart the only time I have spat on the pitch when it wasn't blood was when I got deep heat in my mouth (don't know how) see you spat once negates your claim sorry

It was deep heat in my mouth "

technicality

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"All athletes spit

Footballers run continuously for ages without a drink. I’d say that adds to it. "

They run for 45 minutes at a time for around 90minutes... They are not continually running and are supposed to be at the peak of fitness. I still fail to see why that makes them spit. What's wrong with swallowing their saliva?

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"All athletes spit

Ha no, aerobic exercise builds up more saliva."

You mean anaerobic

By *lippery-when-wet-180Woman
over a year ago

South Dub

What gets me is the holding one side of the nostril and snorting out actually want to get sick

over a year ago

"All athletes spit

Ha no, aerobic exercise builds up more saliva.

You mean anaerobic"

Something-obic, anyway.

over a year ago

Google it

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Are you suggesting excersise makes you need to spit?"

I’m not suggesting it, I’m stating it as a fact. As you sweat, and your body regulates its fluid levels, your saliva becomes thicker and gloopier. It’s particularly unpleasant to swallow. I can’t abide spitting, but after running around the football pitch for a while it becomes an unpleasant necessity.

And, no, it’s not just footballers.

over a year ago

The snot shot makes my blood boil too.

Just to add fuel to the fire

over a year ago

"Are you suggesting excersise makes you need to spit?

I’m not suggesting it, I’m stating it as a fact. As you sweat, and your body regulates its fluid levels, your saliva becomes thicker and gloopier. It’s particularly unpleasant to swallow. I can’t abide spitting, but after running around the football pitch for a while it becomes an unpleasant necessity.

And, no, it’s not just footballers."

So does it make your snot different too ?

over a year ago

There seems to be a lot of jealousy and bitterness towards football on this site.

Is it because the World Cup is keeping the soaps off the tv?

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Watch Wimbledon next week, there’s a fair amount of spitting from tennis players.

over a year ago

"There seems to be a lot of jealousy and bitterness towards football on this site.

Is it because the World Cup is keeping the soaps off the tv?"

No it’s cause we missed Escape to the Country.

over a year ago

I do a lot of running and when you run continuously for a long period of time your mouth becomes dry, what saliva you do produce thickens and try to swallow it is like half choking. It’s far far better to spit until you can get fluids.

The simple fact is that all athelites do it, not just footballers. Hell I do it and I’m not a professional.

over a year ago

"I do a lot of running and when you run continuously for a long period of time your mouth becomes dry, what saliva you do produce thickens and try to swallow it is like half choking. It’s far far better to spit until you can get fluids.

The simple fact is that all athelites do it, not just footballers. Hell I do it and I’m not a professional. "

Amateur gobshite

By *igga_manMan
over a year ago

near Reading

It’s sort of common place among sports but because football is covered by some many cameras it’s noticed more. Baseball players do it even more so then footballers, run less distances and even spit tobacco. This isn’t a concern among Americans and South Americans.

Oh and those saying they are over paid. If someone is paying me stupid money to do a job, I’m not going to say to the company/boss. Sorry, your going to overpay me. I’ll take less money.

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"It’s sort of common place among sports but because football is covered by some many cameras it’s noticed more. Baseball players do it even more so then footballers, run less distances and even spit tobacco. This isn’t a concern among Americans and South Americans.

Oh and those saying they are over paid. If someone is paying me stupid money to do a job, I’m not going to say to the company/boss. Sorry, your going to overpay me. I’ll take less money. "

Yeah but the sport was been paying them way to much for no known reason yes there are some good players but not 154 million good

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I’m sure lots of sports folk do it but I don’t like to see it.

over a year ago

Well I have never spat while doing jiu jitsu or judo or fencing, mind you spitting while in a fencing mask would be a bit of a bad idea

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

I think its a learned trait. Footballers are constantly drinking their mouth can't get that dry. It seems to happen in football way more than other sports.

I only played football casually, I used to play hurling and that is a sport kind of like field hockey but its more physical.

The only times I spat was when I took a big hit with a bat, or got stamped on with studs in around the face/chest and my mouth filed up and I didnt know if it was blood or flem or what it was so had to spit. After I know its blood I will swallow till I can go off.

Also if jogging causes people to spit, how come people don't do it on the running machines in gyms, they run faster/longer on them than they do in the real world and dont spit. Same for people on exercise bikes, or people playing indoor football.

over a year ago

Ever played a fast sport at any level?

over a year ago

Every Friday evening me and my husband play fight (legit) but last Friday I just had the overwhelming urge to spit in his belly button. Didn’t do it, but I did tell him and he kept catching me just staring at his belly button

over a year ago

"I think its a learned trait. Footballers are constantly drinking their mouth can't get that dry. It seems to happen in football way more than other sports.

I only played football casually, I used to play hurling and that is a sport kind of like field hockey but its more physical.

The only times I spat was when I took a big hit with a bat, or got stamped on with studs in around the face/chest and my mouth filed up and I didnt know if it was blood or flem or what it was so had to spit. After I know its blood I will swallow till I can go off.

Also if jogging causes people to spit, how come people don't do it on the running machines in gyms, they run faster/longer on them than they do in the real world and dont spit. Same for people on exercise bikes, or people playing indoor football."

I can’t speak for everyone but the vast majority of gym treadmills cut out after a certain time, plus all the runners that I know loathe treadmill running. People run further and faster in the world.

Footballers aren’t constantly drinking, it’s not allowed, they can only do that at half time or in the event of an injury causing an extended break.

Like I said ^^ professional athletes, it’s how it works for athletes of many sports not just footballers.

By *xxx30Man
over a year ago

york

"Ever played a fast sport at any level?"

Rugby and championship level

over a year ago

Spitting on camera...

Kurt cobain did it best

over a year ago

"People from all sports spit, not sure where this notion that it is only football players that do it. "

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Footballers aren’t constantly drinking, it’s not allowed, they can only do that at half time or in the event of an injury causing an extended break.

Like I said ^^ professional athletes, it’s how it works for athletes of many sports not just footballers. "

Like I said, Bullshit.

Footballers are not constantly running, they are walking most of the time. On a threadmill I gurantee you run further than someone does during a football game.

What about spinners? They don't spit.

Footballers have only started to be fit the last few years, they used to have beer bellys not long ago. Remember rooney turning up to a world cup overweight? The reason they are fitter now is because they have less talent.

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

Ok I googled.....

And have reached this conclusion:-

Physiologically: Exercise and running causes less saliva and dry mouth, so it is not a physiological cause for spitting !!!

Female athletes don't do it as much... Is their saliva different?

It's just a filthy habit. A learned habit. A disgusting habit that can be stopped.

over a year ago

Iv seen lots of sport people do it not just footballers. The ones iv seen do it most are long distance runners.

I read somewhere that its cus of the build up of saliva (sp?) in their mouth.

By *tonMess OP   Couple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"Iv seen lots of sport people do it not just footballers. The ones iv seen do it most are long distance runners.

I read somewhere that its cus of the build up of saliva (sp?) in their mouth."

Not according to google

over a year ago

"Iv seen lots of sport people do it not just footballers. The ones iv seen do it most are long distance runners.

I read somewhere that its cus of the build up of saliva (sp?) in their mouth.

Not according to google"

Go to a race, watch a long distance event. I guarantee you it happens

over a year ago

"Footballers aren’t constantly drinking, it’s not allowed, they can only do that at half time or in the event of an injury causing an extended break.

Like I said ^^ professional athletes, it’s how it works for athletes of many sports not just footballers.

Like I said, Bullshit.

Footballers are not constantly running, they are walking most of the time. On a threadmill I gurantee you run further than someone does during a football game.

What about spinners? They don't spit.

Footballers have only started to be fit the last few years, they used to have beer bellys not long ago. Remember rooney turning up to a world cup overweight? The reason they are fitter now is because they have less talent."

You seem fixated with gym based exercise. Do spinners or people on treadmills have water bottles?

As I’ve said before, I run long distances and do so with other people too, they spit, I spit, it’s not a bad habit, it’s necessary so you don’t ch*ke on your own saliva

over a year ago

End of rant.

Is it that you don't like football?

Or you don't like spitting in general?

By *wingfellowMan
over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

I agree with the sport point. When you are working anaerobically your lungs work overtime as you’re producing lactic acid so more oxygen is needed, because of this aggressive breathing any saliva or remnants in your throat or lungs will be displaced and gather in your throat. And if you’re doing something physically demanding it really isn’t worth struggling to breathe just because someone doesn’t like the way you get rid of it. It’s not like you can stop a timed race or something for it.

Post new Message to Thread