Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is it racist?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

www.metro.co.uk/2018/06/25/make-up-artist-accused-of-racism-after-making-herself-look-like-eddie-murphy-7657875/

"A make-up artist has been accused of racism after painting her face to look like Eddie Murphy.

Jenna McDonnell, 31, was trying to show off her [make-up] abilities by transforming herself from a white woman into the Hollywood actor.

But since Jenna posted the pictures of her efforts on Instagram she has been accused of blacking up.

She has previously made herself look like the Queen, Sylvester Stallone as Rambo and Michael Jackson."

Is it racist?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Just getting ridiculous now isnt it

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

No.

over a year ago

No.

More like a 'reporter' filling column inches with non-stories I'd wager

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"www.metro.co.uk/2018/06/25/make-up-artist-accused-of-racism-after-making-herself-look-like-eddie-murphy-7657875/

"A make-up artist has been accused of racism after painting her face to look like Eddie Murphy.

Jenna McDonnell, 31, was trying to show off her [make-up] abilities by transforming herself from a white woman into the Hollywood actor.

But since Jenna posted the pictures of her efforts on Instagram she has been accused of blacking up.

She has previously made herself look like the Queen, Sylvester Stallone as Rambo and Michael Jackson."

Is it racist?"

No.

over a year ago

No not a cat in hells chance.

She is showing her skills....pc gone mad again..

over a year ago

It’s not racist, but probably not her best idea.

By *eliciousladyWoman
over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

"Just getting ridiculous now isnt it"

Totally agree

over a year ago

Absolutely not, seems she was just showing her talents.

over a year ago

Nowt was said when ‘white chicks’ was released..... pc hell

By *lpha-and-FoxtrotCouple
over a year ago

Kettering

Doesn't even look like him

over a year ago

no …

but more importantly it looks nowt like eddie murphy either (or Michael Jackson)

over a year ago

"www.metro.co.uk/2018/06/25/make-up-artist-accused-of-racism-after-making-herself-look-like-eddie-murphy-7657875/

Is it racist?"

These days everything is wrong, you can't smile at someone, you can't spank your kids when they are naughty, you can't speak against power, you can't talk about ban in forum... and men can't say anything about any women ... People will gang up on that individual and portrait as if they are a wrong person..lol. Usually these people are only good at speaking at cyber world and not in real world..

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"no …

but more importantly it looks nowt like eddie murphy either (or Michael Jackson)"

No one complained when Michael Jackson went white....

over a year ago

"no …

but more importantly it looks nowt like eddie murphy either (or Michael Jackson)"

It's not a good advert for her 'skills'.

over a year ago

Is it racist?

These days everything is wrong, you can't smile at someone, you can't spank your kids when they are naughty, you can't speak against power, you can't talk about ban in forum... and men can't say anything about any women ... People will gang up on that individual and portrait as if they are a wrong person..lol. Usually these people are only good at speaking at cyber world and not in real world.. "

You're probably right.

over a year ago

Oh for goodness sake. No!

over a year ago

No. Next.

By *olitarymaninblackMan
over a year ago

loughborough

Quite a few not having a problem with blacking up. Yes it is racist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

over a year ago

"Quite a few not having a problem with blacking up. Yes it is racist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

"

Well, she can't be Eddie Murphy with a white face can she.

over a year ago

"Quite a few not having a problem with blacking up. Yes it is racist. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

"

We're not in the 19th century any more.

Eddie Murphy did play an elderly Jewish character in Coming To America and the Wayan Brothers played two white women in White Chicks.

It's not racist but it doesn't look like Eddie Murphy either. Likening this woman presumably pursuing a career in make up to the darking up in the 19th century is ridiculous. If you are going to assess someone's actions, look at their intent.

The only question is - will there be a surge in catfishing on this site as a result.

over a year ago

We're not in the 19th century any more.

"

You're right.

But, blackface was still a mainstream thing up until the 1960s.

It's not really gone away either.

Pretending it's from long, long ago and therefore not a problem is disingenuous at best.

over a year ago

Its not racist, how can she be eddie murphy without blacking up?

over a year ago

no not at all ,we won't be allowed to breath before long

over a year ago

Is it racist?"

No its 'art' 'she doesn't want to be the person she transformed her face to look like, she's making no comment just showing a picture of her skills

over a year ago

I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off.

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off. "
you're always going to piss somebody off no matter what you do, it's like saying that lying in the sun for weeks on end until you look like a person of colour is racist cmon some things are just ridicularse on the racism front and this is one of them

over a year ago

Is it news to report on twitter comments ?

From what I can see (and I got bored) no one of any importance complained. Just a few people on Twitter. And then we all get reactionary thinking the world has gone to pot.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Is it racist?

These days everything is wrong, you can't smile at someone, you can't spank your kids when they are naughty, you can't speak against power, you can't talk about ban in forum... and men can't say anything about any women ... People will gang up on that individual and portrait as if they are a wrong person..lol. Usually these people are only good at speaking at cyber world and not in real world.. "

I was reprimanded by the director of personnel where I worked, who overheard me telling my (gay) assistant that I liked the colour of his shirt.

My assistant beamed and invited me to touch the material. Apparently my touching his arm (at his invitation) was also inappropriate.

There were three of us in the lift. I'd hardly be inappropriate in front of the director of personnel! Yep...the world has gone mad!

over a year ago

Is it racist?"

if eddie murphy was white yea

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off. you're always going to piss somebody off no matter what you do, it's like saying that lying in the sun for weeks on end until you look like a person of colour is racist cmon some things are just ridicularse on the racism front and this is one of them "

I didn’t say it was racist, I said it’s probably best avoided so you don’t piss people off. Also, lying in the sun and getting a deep tan isn’t considered blacking up, obviously.

over a year ago

I haven’t seen the video, cause I can’t watch the link. But if it just showed her doing all white faces, then someone would say why hasn’t she done a black face.

over a year ago

"I haven’t seen the video, cause I can’t watch the link. But if it just showed her doing all white faces, then someone would say why hasn’t she done a black face. "

I doubt that.

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off. you're always going to piss somebody off no matter what you do, it's like saying that lying in the sun for weeks on end until you look like a person of colour is racist cmon some things are just ridicularse on the racism front and this is one of them

I didn’t say it was racist, I said it’s probably best avoided so you don’t piss people off. Also, lying in the sun and getting a deep tan isn’t considered blacking up, obviously. "

why isn't it I look like I've blacked up as you put it am I trying to be black? My point is their will always be somebody that sees it in a negative light in the makeup artists case she got the best advertising ever

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off. you're always going to piss somebody off no matter what you do, it's like saying that lying in the sun for weeks on end until you look like a person of colour is racist cmon some things are just ridicularse on the racism front and this is one of them

I didn’t say it was racist, I said it’s probably best avoided so you don’t piss people off. Also, lying in the sun and getting a deep tan isn’t considered blacking up, obviously. why isn't it I look like I've blacked up as you put it am I trying to be black? My point is their will always be somebody that sees it in a negative light in the makeup artists case she got the best advertising ever "

I’d search the term and it’ll tell you why it’s probably just best avoided.

over a year ago

"I haven’t seen the video, cause I can’t watch the link. But if it just showed her doing all white faces, then someone would say why hasn’t she done a black face.

I doubt that. "

Ok, not one person would complain?

over a year ago

I didn’t say it was racist, I said it’s probably best avoided so you don’t piss people off. Also, lying in the sun and getting a deep tan isn’t considered blacking up, obviously. why isn't it I look like I've blacked up as you put it am I trying to be black? My point is their will always be somebody that sees it in a negative light in the makeup artists case she got the best advertising ever

I’d search the term and it’ll tell you why it’s probably just best avoided."

Ha what did we do before Google,it isn't racist in my opinion racism is about making people feel less worthy than they are because if their nationality or colour of their skin,I treat all people equally and don't see art as racism

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

The politically correct,SJW crowd suck the life and joy out of everything. They see controversy everywhere and take everything as an offense.

over a year ago

"I haven’t seen the video, cause I can’t watch the link. But if it just showed her doing all white faces, then someone would say why hasn’t she done a black face.

I doubt that.

Ok, not one person would complain? "

Oh, of course one person would, but I’m guessing the majority of people would know exactly why she steered clear of doing a black face.

over a year ago

Is it racist?"

No it’s not. I’ve seen her transformation an what she does is amazing. She really does transform her face with makeup. Breathing will be racist soon

over a year ago

I didn’t say it was racist, I said it’s probably best avoided so you don’t piss people off. Also, lying in the sun and getting a deep tan isn’t considered blacking up, obviously. why isn't it I look like I've blacked up as you put it am I trying to be black? My point is their will always be somebody that sees it in a negative light in the makeup artists case she got the best advertising ever

I’d search the term and it’ll tell you why it’s probably just best avoided.Ha what did we do before Google,it isn't racist in my opinion racism is about making people feel less worthy than they are because if their nationality or colour of their skin,I treat all people equally and don't see art as racism "

Can you point out where I said it was racist?

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off. "

So the film white chicks. I don’t remember that pissing anyone off.

over a year ago

I’d search the term and it’ll tell you why it’s probably just best avoided.Ha what did we do before Google,it isn't racist in my opinion racism is about making people feel less worthy than they are because if their nationality or colour of their skin,I treat all people equally and don't see art as racism

Can you point out where I said it was racist?"

What you said was " if you're a white person don't black up " my comments basically say why worry about people getting pissed off with what you do if in this case it was done to showcase her artist bent with makeup, don't do it because you piss somebody off God we'd never do anything just do it, life's to short to worry about what others think obviously if the intent isn't to be nasty to another person

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

No more racist than a profile stating BBC only. To pc nowadays.

over a year ago

Is it racist?

These days everything is wrong, you can't smile at someone, you can't spank your kids when they are naughty, you can't speak against power, you can't talk about ban in forum... and men can't say anything about any women ... People will gang up on that individual and portrait as if they are a wrong person..lol. Usually these people are only good at speaking at cyber world and not in real world..

I was reprimanded by the director of personnel where I worked, who overheard me telling my (gay) assistant that I liked the colour of his shirt.

My assistant beamed and invited me to touch the material. Apparently my touching his arm (at his invitation) was also inappropriate.

There were three of us in the lift. I'd hardly be inappropriate in front of the director of personnel! Yep...the world has gone mad! "

People daren't ask questions or look at people or touch their arm for fear of being accused of something these days!

over a year ago

"I would just say, if you’re a white person, don’t black up. Even if you’re doing it to show everyone your fantastic make-up skills. You’re silly if you don’t realise it’s going to piss people off.

"

I’m sure some people complained. Look up ‘Blackface’, it’ll explain it.

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"

"

It pissed me off, it was so bloody crap!

over a year ago

I’d search the term and it’ll tell you why it’s probably just best avoided.Ha what did we do before Google,it isn't racist in my opinion racism is about making people feel less worthy than they are because if their nationality or colour of their skin,I treat all people equally and don't see art as racism

Can you point out where I said it was racist?What you said was " if you're a white person don't black up " my comments basically say why worry about people getting pissed off with what you do if in this case it was done to showcase her artist bent with makeup, don't do it because you piss somebody off God we'd never do anything just do it, life's to short to worry about what others think obviously if the intent isn't to be nasty to another person "

No, I said it’s probably best not to. I don’t think you have to be overly intelligent to know what is and what isn’t a sensitive issue.

over a year ago

Can you point out where I said it was racist?What you said was " if you're a white person don't black up " my comments basically say why worry about people getting pissed off with what you do if in this case it was done to showcase her artist bent with makeup, don't do it because you piss somebody off God we'd never do anything just do it, life's to short to worry about what others think obviously if the intent isn't to be nasty to another person

No, I said it’s probably best not to. I don’t think you have to be overly intelligent to know what is and what isn’t a sensitive issue. "

it wouldn't affect me I would do it and not worry about what others think it's life live it, if you're creative be creative, negative people hopefully are in the very smallest minority

over a year ago

Not even close, she went for the biggest transformation she could think of to show off her talent. To say otherwise is a joke

over a year ago

"

It pissed me off, it was so bloody crap!"

Chic flicks will do that to a guy

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

"

Chic flicks will do that to a guy

"

I'm in touch with my feminine side, so can put sit through a chick flick relatively unscathed!

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

Pretty much any ahem "comedy" films the Wayans are involved in are utterly predictable banal shite.....and that's putting it politely

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

"No not a cat in hells chance.

She is showing her skills....pc gone mad again.. "

More like journalists trying to wind people up... and succeeding.

The more people get outraged by this crap and flock to the comments section of the Daily Mail, the more journalists will continue.

It's self-perpetuating. If people ignored these non-stories they'd dry up.

over a year ago

When people say it’s getting ridiculous or no it’s not radcist or even debate if it is or not

It creates a whip and division that creates a feeling of uncomfortable doubt for all flavour of people

Please don’t fall for bullshit, have your own opinion and not what an article is telling you to believe,

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman
over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

People being outraged on others behalf when they probably don't even give a shit.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Unfortunately there's mentally ill people who'll insist on any old bollocks meaning something that it really doesn't, the sad thing is we placate these people as if there not mentally ill and they have a genuine point.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't perceive this as racist but I'm not of the guy's race that she was emulating. As it's a celebrity look-alike, it seems clear to me that she was just show-casing her celebrity make-up abilities.

over a year ago

The only person who has the right to be offended is Eddie Murphy. Far too many people are way too fuckin keen to get offended on other peoples behalf.

Post new Message to Thread