over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

90's bad taste to follow. ..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Who's watching MORE4 about

sixties TV? "

True, but you can't view and judge yesteryear through the prism of today.

over a year ago

Its horrific isn't it, I can hardly watch its making me cringe so much!

over a year ago

sixties TV?

True, but you can't view and judge yesteryear through the prism of today. "

Why?

By *risky_Mare OP   Woman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

sixties TV?

True, but you can't view and judge yesteryear through the prism of today. "

Oh I dunno people were still people, it was horrible to listen to.

over a year ago

sixties TV?

Oh I dunno people were still people, it was horrible to listen to. "

I'm certainly not saying they were right but that was the norm and accepted behaviour then, fortunately we've learnt and moved on.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im wondering what they would think of us in 30 years time. I witnessed a terrible attitude to trans people today.

over a year ago

"Im wondering what they would think of us in 30 years time. I witnessed a terrible attitude to trans people today. "

I think there are many people today who are still living in the past with regards their attitudes towards what they don't deem as "normal" in their eyes/

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

sixties TV?

I'm certainly not saying they were right but that was the norm and accepted behaviour then, fortunately we've learnt and moved on. "

Yep . Agreed , and it’s what I grew up with .

I’m glad it’s better now , but I have problems talking from the same page as my old man now . Imagine how hard it must be for people like him in his eighties now .

over a year ago

its a concern to see our forebears that gave so much to the stranger and the disadvantaged of other nations and cultures to be smeared by their own children...

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"its a concern to see our forebears that gave so much to the stranger and the disadvantaged of other nations and cultures to be smeared by their own children..."

I’m not sure what you’re saying .

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Those being shown were pure bigots IMO. But Oliver Reed being a lush is hilarious!

over a year ago

sixties TV?

I'm certainly not saying they were right but that was the norm and accepted behaviour then, fortunately we've learnt and moved on.

Yep . Agreed , and it’s what I grew up with .

I’m glad it’s better now , but I have problems talking from the same page as my old man now . Imagine how hard it must be for people like him in his eighties now . "

I said as much about my 80 yr old dad on another thread yesterday...

over a year ago

Jeff?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

As much as we despair over humans, it's refreshing to see these period pieces that show how far we've come in a few years.

over a year ago

"its a concern to see our forebears that gave so much to the stranger and the disadvantaged of other nations and cultures to be smeared by their own children...

I’m not sure what you’re saying ."

I think it’s about Goldilocks being given porridge. But I think the counting is off.

over a year ago

"its a concern to see our forebears that gave so much to the stranger and the disadvantaged of other nations and cultures to be smeared by their own children...

I’m not sure what you’re saying ."

I translate that as 'don't diss your ancestors, they were good people really'.

By *.H.SMan
over a year ago

London

Only one race the human race

over a year ago

"Only one race the human race "

Word.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"As much as we despair over humans, it's refreshing to see these period pieces that show how far we've come in a few years. "

Yes there is that!

By *uited staffs guyMan
over a year ago

staffordshire

Human history is always one to change and progress, the generation hasn’t, and never will, exist that won’t look back and things that happened previously and say ‘how on earth was that happening then?’ - it’s the nature of the evolution of our species - best not to get too hung up about what what was acceptable previously and just celebrate that we keep moving forward

Remember the next generation will be saying the same about us in a few years too I guarantee it!

over a year ago

"As much as we despair over humans, it's refreshing to see these period pieces that show how far we've come in a few years.

Yes there is that! "

Some countries governments (not necessarily the entire populations) seem to be winding back the clock to less tolerant times!

over a year ago

In the past it was the Jamaican immigrant or the Indian or Pakistani and then further back the Jewish people.Today its the Muslim and the North African immigrants.The Tv shows and the media might not be overtly racist.Our prejudices haven't gone away they've found a new target.

No doubt history will judge us .With equal disdain as our ancestors.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Human history is always one to change and progress, the generation hasn’t, and never will, exist that won’t look back and things that happened previously and say ‘how on earth was that happening then?’ - it’s the nature of the evolution of our species - best not to get too hung up about what what was acceptable previously and just celebrate that we keep moving forward

Remember the next generation will be saying the same about us in a few years too I guarantee it!"

This is true - I was just astonished that the views that were aired on tv in my lifetime were so supremacist.

over a year ago

"Human history is always one to change and progress, the generation hasn’t, and never will, exist that won’t look back and things that happened previously and say ‘how on earth was that happening then?’ - it’s the nature of the evolution of our species - best not to get too hung up about what what was acceptable previously and just celebrate that we keep moving forward

Remember the next generation will be saying the same about us in a few years too I guarantee it!

This is true - I was just astonished that the views that were aired on tv in my lifetime were so supremacist."

I was trying to explain to my children the racism, sexism and homophobia that we grew up surrounded by. We watched a similar program together, there was one on recently about racism in football too. They were horrified! Hopefully their generation will keep pushing forward.

over a year ago

"Im wondering what they would think of us in 30 years time. I witnessed a terrible attitude to trans people today. "

People will always have bad attitudes towards something they know nothing about be it 30 years ago, now, or in 30 years time.

over a year ago

"Im wondering what they would think of us in 30 years time. I witnessed a terrible attitude to trans people today.

People will always have bad attitudes towards something they know nothing about be it 30 years ago, now, or in 30 years time.

"

Very true

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

This is true - I was just astonished that the views that were aired on tv in

my lifetime were so

supremacist."

Some of the views accepted as the norm nowadays are pretty awful.

I think adverts are a pretty good indicator of where we stand in a politically correct context. For example there are nods towards asian consumers, the more realistic woman and gender issues.

over a year ago

I think that at least today,tolerance,acceptance and inclusivity are established as general principles,even if we sometimes fail to live up to them.Hopefully,in 30 years time,people will look back and see that we were at least trying to be nice.

Sometimes it seems that in times gone by,people were actively trying to be hateful and revelling in it.

over a year ago

"Im wondering what they would think of us in 30 years time. I witnessed a terrible attitude to trans people today.

I think that at least today,tolerance,acceptance and inclusivity are established as general principles,even if we sometimes fail to live up to them.Hopefully,in 30 years time,people will look back and see that we were at least trying to be nice.

Sometimes it seems that in times gone by,people were actively trying to be hateful and revelling in it."

That's still evident now and always will be.

We continue to progress thankfully, and whilst we looking back at previous generations tutting and shaking our heads, they have fundamentally contributed to progress.

We're all work in progress and future generations will change and see things differently, because they've been taught to do so.

Previous attitudes are disdainful in many ways, but to believe current attitudes aren't flawed also would be dangerous.

over a year ago

"In the past it was the Jamaican immigrant or the Indian or Pakistani and then further back the Jewish people.Today its the Muslim and the North African immigrants.The Tv shows and the media might not be overtly racist.Our prejudices haven't gone away they've found a new target.

"

Our forebears were a noble and tolerant folk, they created a welfare state for us and opened it up to the world...

For me these attacks and hatred towards our forefathers are what is destroying and weakening this island kingdom...

I note its the so called policticaly correct, the communists, marxists and lefties that seek to weaken and undermine in every way they can this fine tolerant and freedom loving island kingdom

By *angzMan
over a year ago

Manchester, London & sometimes Newcastle

"In the past it was the Jamaican immigrant or the Indian or Pakistani and then further back the Jewish people.Today its the Muslim and the North African immigrants.The Tv shows and the media might not be overtly racist.Our prejudices haven't gone away they've found a new target.

Our forebears were a noble and tolerant folk, they created a welfare state for us and opened it up to the world...

For me these attacks and hatred towards our forefathers are what is destroying and weakening this island kingdom...

I note its the so called policticaly correct, the communists, marxists and lefties that seek to weaken and undermine in every way they can this fine tolerant and freedom loving island kingdom"

Hahaha. You make me laugh. Either you're ignorant of history or have selective memory.

over a year ago

This island kingdom and its christian heritage has done so much for the world,....

And its the envy of the earth despite its ungratefull haters and its traitors in its midst that seek every opportunity to weaken and demonise it and its native peoples...

By *angzMan
over a year ago

"This island kingdom and its christian heritage has done so much for the world,....

And its the envy of the earth despite its ungratefull haters and its traitors in its midst that seek every opportunity to weaken and demonise it and its native peoples..."

This is a fantastic country and probably the best in the world to live in overall.

But I don't think the actions of the past have been all that great. Unless you believe slavery/subjugation/killing off of natives etc is a good thing.

over a year ago

I remember this country as it was before all this immigration.We were not asked by the politicians of the day if we the electorate wanted our country changed.Now we have a balkanised country; permanent terrorism;a drug culture giving rise to widespread murder on the streets. I am sure I will be called all sorts of names for writing this but if all anyone can add to a debate is name calling them they have lost the argument.Add in a housing crisis caused by excess demand.etc etc Why should we be covering this country with houses?

over a year ago

"This island kingdom and its christian heritage has done so much for the world,....

And its the envy of the earth despite its ungratefull haters and its traitors in its midst that seek every opportunity to weaken and demonise it and its native peoples...

This is a fantastic country and probably the best in the world to live in overall.

But I don't think the actions of the past have been all that great. Unless you believe slavery/subjugation/killing off of natives etc is a good thing.

"

Go read your own ancestors history or british accounts of what they witnessed, then you will realize that the natives of this Island kingdom are the most caring, tolerant and compassionate people on this planet...

The fact we have a welfare state, free education,the right to worship God as we please etc is ample evidence of the noble mindedness of the British people and we have not with held these blessings from any nation that has sought them from us

By *0tt0nSu3Woman
over a year ago

London

Go read your own ancestors history or british accounts of what they witnessed, then you will realize that the natives of this Island kingdom are the most caring, tolerant and compassionate people on this planet...

The fact we have a welfare state, free education,the right to worship God as we please etc is ample evidence of the noble mindedness of the British people and we have not with held these blessings from any nation that has sought them from us"

Fuck the popcorn.

I'm strapping myself in for this one.

Let the debate begin.

over a year ago

The welfare state is one of the worst things ever introduced into this country.Some people do need looking after, those with conditions which really make them unable to work but a system which makes having excessive numbers of children a career choice cannot be right.So many other things wrong in this country,too numerous to mention.

By *angzMan
over a year ago

The fact we have a welfare state, free education,the right to worship God as we please etc is ample evidence of the noble mindedness of the British people and we have not with held these blessings from any nation that has sought them from us"

You must be fcked in the head. You never answer any points anyone raises and come out with utter garbage. I think I'm aware of what my ancestors thought more than you do. Where did you read about what they said and thought? Do you understand any of the Indian subcontinental languages? Anyway no point trying to talk to you as I'll get more sense out of my goldfish.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/07/18 13:58:58]

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

The fact we have a welfare state, free education,the right to worship God as we please etc is ample evidence of the noble mindedness of the British people and we have not with held these blessings from any nation that has sought them from us

You must be fcked in the head. You never answer any points anyone raises and come out with utter garbage. I think I'm aware of what my ancestors thought more than you do. Where did you read about what they said and thought? Do you understand any of the Indian subcontinental languages? Anyway no point trying to talk to you as I'll get more sense out of my goldfish."

That kind of remark is really unecessary.

over a year ago

You must be fcked in the head. You never answer any points anyone raises and come out with utter garbage. I think I'm aware of what my ancestors thought more than you do. Where did you read about what they said and thought? Do you understand any of the Indian subcontinental languages? Anyway no point trying to talk to you as I'll get more sense out of my goldfish."

Have you really got a goldfish?

Post new Message to Thread