Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mobile phone choice help

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi all Alice needs a new phone and would like a smart phone , can anybody recommend a phone and or contract ?

She does not make that many calls but does text quite lot

I have a blackberry so was maybe thinking of getting another to make use of the blackberry messenger service that will save using up texts between each other

We have an iPad and think that is great so was also thinking of maybe an iPhone ?

Don't know anything about the HTC phones

Can anybody give us some advice ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Galaxy S 11. Wouldn't have anything else

over a year ago

What's it like for texting ?

over a year ago

Iphone 4 is the best phone i have ever used by far i have had a play with all the others at the time i was going to upgrade but everything else seemed to be too big or were just copying the iphone

over a year ago

I have an iPhone and also wouldn't have anything else x

over a year ago

A second here for the galaxy s2, blows the iphone out the water. txting is great (if you like touch screens ).

I got mine from talk mobile, they were doing 1 year contracts a short wile ago for £30 a month with a good allowance

over a year ago

"What's it like for texting ? "

Easy as pie - nice big screen also, so if the old lamp oil is growing a bit dim, this is ideal

over a year ago

ive had iphones, blackberrys, htc, sony ericcsson, nokias... and i have to say, the nicest phone on the market for me atm is the sony ericcsson arc. lovely piece of kit.. android software on it.. lots of apps.. lots of usability. deffo worth a look.

over a year ago

"A second here for the galaxy s2, blows the iphone out the water."

If you put an iPhone in the water, it might not work. At least make it a fair comparison.

over a year ago

In your opinion you mean? And thats if you like carrying a huge phone?

over a year ago

I've just gone onto Orange via Phones4U. I have a contract which is 600minutes, 1Gb internet and I think, either a 1000 or 3000 texts for £28.50.

Direct from Orange the same contract is 37 quid but with Phones4U it's discounted for 2 years after which it reverts to the full price. It's a 2yr contract ...

over a year ago

"In your opinion you mean? And thats if you like carrying a huge phone? "

Well yes, that's what a forum is - everyone giving their opinions

over a year ago

Yes but when people start slating other products that maybe perfect for other peoples uses just because they dont like it, its a little frustrating my friend has rhe dell phone thats huge and i mean huge some people laugh at it but it suits his needs of it

over a year ago

I didn't slate the iphone, it's a great phone. I have been using iphones 3 & 4 in work for testing new apps. The Galaxy is so much more easy to customise and yes it may be bigger than the iphone but its lighter.

over a year ago

tbh the iphone is a great phone... but now android os has matured i seriously believe IMHO that it is a better os than iOS on the iphone... one thing is for sure tho, you cant realy beat the iphone for build quality and design. altho as i said before... the sony ericcsson arc is a stunning piece of kit

over a year ago

How is an iphone hard to customise? By how much 5grams 20grams? My 3 year old son can quite easily use me iphone so its not heavy

over a year ago

"tbh the iphone is a great phone... but now android os has matured i seriously believe IMHO that it is a better os than iOS on the iphone... one thing is for sure tho, you cant realy beat the iphone for build quality and design. altho as i said before... the sony ericcsson arc is a stunning piece of kit"

I fell out with sony ericsson because i got the xperia x1 o dear fail so hard to use and wasnt that good

over a year ago

"How is an iphone hard to customise? By how much 5grams 20grams? My 3 year old son can quite easily use me iphone so its not heavy "

Well yes you can put an icon on any page you want

over a year ago

the x1 had windows mobile on there tho... wasnt android. android is a far easier and more functional os to use than the WM on the x1

over a year ago

This iphone imho is the best i've had obviously something will come out thats better than it at some point world would be a boring place if we all liked the samethings best thing i can suggest is take her down to a phone shop and let her play with them and she can choose 1 she likes as a phone these days is as much of a personal choice as buying a car

over a year ago

"the x1 had windows mobile on there tho... wasnt android. android is a far easier and more functional os to use than the WM on the x1"

Made by htc as well

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

"tbh the iphone is a great phone... but now android os has matured i seriously believe IMHO that it is a better os than iOS on the iphone... one thing is for sure tho, you cant realy beat the iphone for build quality and design. altho as i said before... the sony ericcsson arc is a stunning piece of kit"

You want build quality? I bought the HTC desire on the day it was released just over 18 months ago, since then I've dropped it onto concrete about twice a week, had it fall out of my pocket doing 40 on a motorbike, drenched it at least 4 times and the bugger still doesn't miss a beat! (even though the casing looks like the surface of the moon)

anyway moving on.

iPhones are undoubtedly the slickest and the prettiest phones on the market - lovely to look at, lovely to use - but you pay a premium for that - an equivalent or better specification android phone that will do everything the iPhone can and more, will cost you as much as £500 less over the course of a 2 year contract.

Dont bother with blackberry's - hardly any apps - you have to pay extra for the BB service (tho it's usually hidden in the contract price)- and very clunky and unreliable. I work as a Dispatch Rider at the moment and a couple of times a month I help out on a contract to deliver replacement phones to customers who have had their phones go tits up - it's about 90% Blackberrys and the rest are iPhones (hardly ever any android phones interestingly)

over a year ago

i use a desire for my work phone and thats taken some falls aswell.. so i know all too well about their build quality.

over a year ago

Thanks for all the replys although still none the wiser

Has anybody had any dealing with these redemption schemes ? Or is there a massive catch with them ? As some do seem to good to be true

Have to say I have had no problems at all with my blackberry

over a year ago

always said i will never have or need another phone after having an iphone... UNTIL... angela got the htc desire wildfire.... now that really is some phone .... trouble with iphone is anything you want to do, including downloading your pics, seems to have to be done through itunes

over a year ago

Redemptions do work, but you have to make sure you get your bills sent to them in the time limits and follow their rules (getting recorded delivery etc )

If txting is your main thing and you dont need all the fancy bells and whistles of an iphone or android , then blackberries are excellent. I prefer their keyboards over touchscreens

over a year ago

ps ... lol ... also angela is on three network .... 500 mins chat & 3000 texts for £18 a month ... and yes ... she can get on fabswingers with three

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

"

Has anybody had any dealing with these redemption schemes ? Or is there a massive catch with them ? As some do seem to good to be true "

read the small print VERY carefully - there will be multiple catches.

a classic is that they state you must keep the original number they issue you with when you take the contract ..... then they ask you if you wan to transfer your current phone number from your existing network onto the new contract - making the redemption null qand void from day one.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

HTC wildfire. Great phone if you like touchscreens

over a year ago

"

Has anybody had any dealing with these redemption schemes ? Or is there a massive catch with them ? As some do seem to good to be true

read the small print VERY carefully - there will be multiple catches.

a classic is that they state you must keep the original number they issue you with when you take the contract ..... then they ask you if you wan to transfer your current phone number from your existing network onto the new contract - making the redemption null qand void from day one."

Who was that with ?? My wife used a redemption on her last contract and she ported her number over with no issues.

By *hi-John69Man
over a year ago

chichester

I like my blackberry

over a year ago

well i got a bold 9900 yesterday and the bloody thing dont work so got to take it back tomorrow so wouldnt suggest you get one of them lol

By *hoenixcouplexxCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Hiya Sexies!

We both have IPhones and love em. As has been said build quality is brilliant. We find them just the right size and Mrs P the technophobe can use one so they must be easy to use!

On another note, can't wait for Erotica and AbFabs at the weekend!

Hope your having lots of sexy fun!

Us xxxxx

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

We both have HTC phones. For Mrs R it is her first smartphone and she took to it like a duck to water. I have one too.. Got rid of that fookin awful Blackbury with keys so small that I had to mash the keypad and hope! Mrs R has nails and just couldn't use it!

iPhone used to be the kiddy, but only because of all the name junkies out there. Android is outselling iOS by 2 to 1. Our daughter is on her fourth iPhone this year. Has to keep taking it back to the Apple shop in MK. They change it with no hassle but it is damned inconveinient.

If you are tempted to "jailbreak" an iPhone, beware.. If it goes wrong, Apple will not change it!

So... Android phone first

iPhone second and Blackberry Never!

But just our opinion

over a year ago

Never had the chance to see a HTC phone in action so will have to go a have a look

I am using a blackberry and I have no problems with the size of the keys etc. and it has never let me down and for the last year Alice has been using my old Blackberry but with no data plan and it is starting to play up a bit now but it is nearly 4 years old so we are ok with the blackberry it just that as we are looking for a new phone for her we thought about the alternatives

We can get a Blackberry 9300 3G with 250 texts and 200 mins and 500mb Data for £9.99 a month

over a year ago

I have a HTC Desire S, my first Android Smart phone, and it has served me well so far.

over a year ago

I have just replaced my iphone (which i hated) with a Sony Ericcson Xperia Arc S, brill phone and go near an iphone again.

over a year ago

*wouldn't go near

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

i've got a sony ericsson vivaz which is due for upgrade at christmas and i've loved it. My last couple of phones have been sonys so after reading the posts i'm tempted by the arc - had been considering an iphone. Only issue is the screen on this i touch but i can tap with my long girlie nails - all of the newer touch screens work like the iphone on fingertip heat. Any suggestions?

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

"i've got a sony ericsson vivaz which is due for upgrade at christmas and i've loved it. My last couple of phones have been sonys so after reading the posts i'm tempted by the arc - had been considering an iphone. Only issue is the screen on this i touch but i can tap with my long girlie nails - all of the newer touch screens work like the iphone on fingertip heat. Any suggestions?"

Not sure all the other phones have quite cracked it yet. The iPhone is still the smoothest and most responsive, but clearly not to everyone's taste.

A lot of people seem to like Android, mainly because it's so much cheaper than an iPhone, but it's not quite as well put together, with the interface not quite as polished and no where near as responsive as the iPhone.

However ultimately there's a phone out there for everyone, it's just a question of finding the right one.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I had a android phone and hated it just switched to an iPhone and love it......

Ok something's could improve but bett Han last phone

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"Hi all Alice needs a new phone and would like a smart phone , can anybody recommend a phone and or contract ?

She does not make that many calls but does text quite lot

I have a blackberry so was maybe thinking of getting another to make use of the blackberry messenger service that will save using up texts between each other

We have an iPad and think that is great so was also thinking of maybe an iPhone ?

Don't know anything about the HTC phones

Can anybody give us some advice ? "

Probably best advice is there are so many good deals out there but first I'd check coverage for your address from all the main service providers as the deal you like might not give you coverage.

Next, I use both the devices you mention and my friends use Samsung and HTC and they all have different needs.

As daft as it sounds for some it comes down to the colour of the handset.

BBmessenger is good, but I prefer Whatsapp for messaging which is a free app, it also sends pics and is free to use.

It's available to most of the smart phones.

Remember the weakness of all smart phones is battery life.

BB is fab at what they do and despite the recent outage will always be an excellent format as its very secure. Why else would they be banned in so many countries? Because the state can't read your texts or mails sent throught the RIM servers.

They always looked like business tools and that's exactly what they were for.

You can go for SIM only contracts where you can specify minutes and texts, the options out there really need thinking about.

Are you looking for a fashion accessory or functional tool or a little of both?

Remember there's always a newer version just around the corner!

over a year ago

I have a HTC desire hd and its my first real smart phone and love itafter playing on a iPhone I did not like how it was . Plus I get a bigger screen which makes coming on to fab easy. And i can also go in the chat rooms which is handy.

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

"

Remember the weakness of all smart phones is battery life.

"

Excellent point! and yet another weakness of the iPhone in particular.

Although the iPhone does have slightly better battery life than its android counterparts , the iPhone has an integrated battery so if you are away from a charger once its gone, that's it - however with most android phones you can not only buy an extended capacity battery for around a tenner which will triple its usage time between charges, but you can also carry a spare.

over a year ago

If you are going with a contract phone go via one of the cashback websites and you will also get some moneyback too.

By *eaboMan
over a year ago

marden

nokia n8, excellent phone. Two people i know have abandoned their iphones and got one. Also has 12mp camera. O2, unlimited text, 200 minutes, free phone, 2yr contract, £15:50 a month. just a note, high capacity batteries will fek yer phone up, the circuit board fries with the higher current, which is why most phone shops wont sell them.

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

i have a blackberry with with orange and cant fault it in any way. orange has the best coverage and not too expensive either

over a year ago

I'ts probably not a coincidence that the Samsung Galaxy S11 recently won the mobile phone of the year award 2011!!

Just a hunch!

over a year ago

I love the bickering over phones as if one was the perfect phone all would have it. If you want a tough durable phone you go for the Motorola defy as its more sturdy with gorilla glass however its not as responsive. If you want a large screen you go for the galaxy SII as it gives you ¾ of an inch over the Iphone and some like larger. If you want a brighter sharper screen you got for the LG optimus. If you want design you go for the iphone although you really are going to pay through the nose for it. What ever you get someone won’t like it so why worry you get what suits you. Or you could wait for the new Motorola Razr which is thinner, bigger, stronger featuring Kevlar and gorilla glass and is only 7.2 mm with a 4.3in screen.........Or wait longer for the next even bigger better thing.

over a year ago

"I'ts probably not a coincidence that the Samsung Galaxy S11 recently won the mobile phone of the year award 2011!!

Just a hunch!"

i love the phone, but it has to go on charge every night

over a year ago

"I'ts probably not a coincidence that the Samsung Galaxy S11 recently won the mobile phone of the year award 2011!!

Just a hunch!

i love the phone, but it has to go on charge every night "

that's true but to be honest if you use any smart phone for anything but calls tidy are all the same!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

rather than just spout phones.. i am going to try and be a bit practical here....

if as you say you already have an Ipad... then if you get an Iphone then you are going to be able to sync both together which is going to be very useful..... and only do everything once..

if you get something else... a lot of the stuff you'll find on ipad isn't always available on android....

and with regards to battery life... if you are not going to be calling and just texting and using the apps, you are not going to be finding a whole lot of difference...

the whole bbm thing if that is going to be who she is mainly going to be calling is tempting... but Blackberry are on there way out....

it might be worth your while looking for something with unlimited texts which would be the other option to go down....

over a year ago

Bet you wished you never asked now lol

over a year ago

To the OP, I would seriously consider a HTC, if you shop around you can get great monthly deals and they are (in my opinion) as good as the iPhone, I recently upgraded from a HTC to the iPhone 4 and was quite disappointed after all the hype it doesn't really do anything my HTC can't, think people see it more as a status symbol!

Lots of choice out there so best of luck!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"nokia n8, excellent phone. Two people i know have abandoned their iphones and got one. Also has 12mp camera. O2, unlimited text, 200 minutes, free phone, 2yr contract, £15:50 a month. just a note, high capacity batteries will fek yer phone up, the circuit board fries with the higher current, which is why most phone shops wont sell them."

Want an excellent camera?

Then buy a camera...how many people actually print off their pics from a phone? Not that many!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"rather than just spout phones.. i am going to try and be a bit practical here....

if as you say you already have an Ipad... then if you get an Iphone then you are going to be able to sync both together which is going to be very useful..... and only do everything once..

if you get something else... a lot of the stuff you'll find on ipad isn't always available on android....

and with regards to battery life... if you are not going to be calling and just texting and using the apps, you are not going to be finding a whole lot of difference...

the whole bbm thing if that is going to be who she is mainly going to be calling is tempting... but Blackberry are on there way out....

it might be worth your while looking for something with unlimited texts which would be the other option to go down....

"

BB on the way out!

What a load of *******s!

Clearly you have no idea of the reasons BB came into being.

Recently mp's were advised to get rid of their iPhones because of security issues!

BB are not aloud in some Arab countries because all data goes through RIM which makes them very secure and means the cannot be interrogated.

They have been around for a long time and will continue to be. I use both and you'll notice that lets say Nokia have done their best to mimic the look.

As far as messenger goes well I use whatsapp

A free messenger service that lets you send pics as well.

First choice has to be based on network coverage in your home and then tarif that suits your budget and needs, some of course will be blinded by the handset and regret later

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Want an excellent camera?

Then buy a camera...how many people actually print off their pics from a phone? Not that many!

"

I have to disagree with you there.. I have some lovely cameras and do take a lot of pictures, but I don't want to have to carry them everywhere I go! However, I do want to be able to take pictures so I have an 8mp HTC Desire HD phone.

Now, I carry just one item and I can make calls, surf the 'Net, email at need and take sone pretty good pictures! OK, I make sure that I carry a spare battery or two (try that with the iPhone!) and have taken some great pictures.

I download them to the same folders as the Canon and Pentax pictures and they are used the same. A bit more difficult to stop camera shake as it is so light, but still does a mighty fine job!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"To the OP, I would seriously consider a HTC, if you shop around you can get great monthly deals and they are (in my opinion) as good as the iPhone, I recently upgraded from a HTC to the iPhone 4 and was quite disappointed after all the hype it doesn't really do anything my HTC can't, think people see it more as a status symbol!

Lots of choice out there so best of luck! "

As you have an iPad there is a product from apple called cloud, all your pics will be sent automatically to your iPad and that's just for starters,

I see benefits in all handsets but if you can

sync and take full advantage of its apps then it should be a consideration.

But trust me when I say as someone who spent 10+ years in the industry in the tech side always consider network, never go for the first generation of any new model.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"Want an excellent camera?

I have to disagree with you there.. I have some lovely cameras and do take a lot of pictures, but I don't want to have to carry them everywhere I go! However, I do want to be able to take pictures so I have an 8mp HTC Desire HD phone.

Now, I carry just one item and I can make calls, surf the 'Net, email at need and take sone pretty good pictures! OK, I make sure that I carry a spare battery or two (try that with the iPhone!) and have taken some great pictures.

I download them to the same folders as the Canon and Pentax pictures and they are used the same. A bit more difficult to stop camera shake as it is so light, but still does a mighty fine job!"

A Swiss army knife is a great tool but would you use one in a knife fight?

Remember croc Dundee? Nah this is a knife!

Simple analogy I know, yes your phone will take pics but it wouldn't be the prime reason for having one just a benefit

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"rather than just spout phones.. i am going to try and be a bit practical here....

BB on the way out!

What a load of *******s!

"

yes i do... and you obviously haven't seen the reports today with regards to Smartphone sales.....

just over half the smartphones sold worldwide (52.5%) carry Android as there OS... up from just over 25% last year...

the big losers this year... Windows (symbian).. Down from 36% to 16%

IOS went down ever so slighty from 18% to 16%, but that could be explained by the late release of 4s.. so wouldn't be in the figures...

and your beloved Blackberry.... down from 16% to 10%

the kids might by blackberry's but the adults dont.....

Blackberry (RIM) are in trouble......

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Simple analogy I know, yes your phone will take pics but it wouldn't be the prime reason for having one just a benefit "

Well, actually! The main reason for buying the HTC Desire HD was the camera for the reasons I stated earlier! OK, I had decided to get HTC anyway, but the choice of model was down to the camera, as recommended by a photographer friend!

But perhaps I am just the odd one out!

over a year ago

Best thing to do (its worth it if your gonna be tied to a 2 year deal) is to go to some phones shops, bigger branches and try out the demo phones.

o2 and three shops have a fair few working display models, even if your not buying from that network.

Before commiting to a newer smartphone, consider how it will be used.

Battery Life.... how important is it to you? Most newer smartphones only last a day to day and half on a full charge, meaning its gotta be charged every night. No biggy if your home every night. Blackberry 9780 does well as a smartphone and has exceptional battery life. iPhone/HTC's/Samsung SII have big touchscreens that drain the battery when used.

Games/Apps... check to see if the apps your likely to use are on a particular phone. iPhone/HTC's have loads of games, apps from stores (argos, tesco etc) are generally on both, but more the iPhone.

I did have an iPhone 4, great for apps, location services, had speed cameras on there for use when driving. Just hated texting/emailing on it.

Also, quite conveluted to attach things to emails on iPhone, especially multiple items.

If Email is ya thing, then its gotta be a BB. I have the Bold 9900, brill phone, easy to type on, decent battery life and has a touch screen too, best of both worlds.

Steve

over a year ago

BB on the way out!

What a load of *******s!

yes i do... and you obviously haven't seen the reports today with regards to Smartphone sales.....

just over half the smartphones sold worldwide (52.5%) carry Android as there OS... up from just over 25% last year...

IOS went down ever so slighty from 18% to 16%, but that could be explained by the late release of 4s.. so wouldn't be in the figures...

"

That’s not really the case though is it! The blackberry phone was designed primarily as a business tool so reps, managers and other business users could get emails while out of the office. The phone of choice/desire for the kids is the ipone to go along with their superdry tshirts and Burberry baseball caps.

over a year ago

I have worked with mobile technology for a few years. You need to decide what you prefer

Android

I-phone

Blackberry

Symbian

Then you can decide on the phone you want. Blackberries and I-phones are self explanatory.

For androids top two

HTC

Samsung

For symbian

Nokia

Then decide your budget for it. With that yoou can find out what handsets you can afford.

Unlimited text is available on all. But data differs.

Also try calling the retention line to get a good deal for the phone you want.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Sanity in the battle of the phones

Thank you!

over a year ago

"

but Blackberry are on there way out....

"

What a load of tosh.

Yes, Blackberry are/have lost market share but thats business, markets change, the iPhone is more of a well marketed product rather than a perfect product.

As an example....iPhone Email.

Start an email, so you can send a pic, and or document....

Select recipient....now click attach...oh shit, there is no attach button? erm....

Try again, Ill go to my pic folder first...

Select some pics that I want to send and can share via email, cool, that starts up a new email with my pics attached. Thats great... now to attach the word document too.... erm..... cant do that.

Iphones dont support delivery reports. Its a necessity for some people.

Start an email and send it, but coverage drops. Email wont send. Blackberry, will send (or continue to send automatically when there is coverage).

Dont get me wrong, I did have an iPhone for 6 months. Loved it but there were far too many things that it doesnt do, or doesnt do well enough for me.

May be different for you, or the next person.

Your also tied in to iTunes with the iPhone. Want to use your own ringtone? Forget it (unless you want to jailbreak, but thats a whole new ball game). You have to use iTunes for ringtones too.

Want a fancy text or email tone? Forget that too, cant have anything other than what Apple give you.

If you want a toucscreen phone, Android is far superior. If you want a physical keyboard, then Blackberry.

Steve

over a year ago

Check out the Tesco deals at the mo. 5000 texts, plenty of minutes and bytes for £10pm. A friend has recently taken a Samsung with them but I'm certain he won't be a Fab member and there's no way I'll be asking him to check the accessibility for me! I've just been offered an unused HTC Wildfire A3333 for a small price. Any opinions would be welcome.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

[Removed by poster at 15/11/11 18:52:20]

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

[Removed by poster at 15/11/11 19:02:45]

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"Best thing to do (its worth it if your gonna be tied to a 2 year deal) is to go to some phones shops, bigger branches and try out the demo phones.

o2 and three shops have a fair few working display models, even if your not buying from that network.

Before commiting to a newer smartphone, consider how it will be used.

Battery Life.... how important is it to you? Most newer smartphones only last a day to day and half on a full charge, meaning its gotta be charged every night. No biggy if your home every night. Blackberry 9780 does well as a smartphone and has exceptional battery life. iPhone/HTC's/Samsung SII have big touchscreens that drain the battery when used.

Games/Apps... check to see if the apps your likely to use are on a particular phone. iPhone/HTC's have loads of games, apps from stores (argos, tesco etc) are generally on both, but more the iPhone.

I did have an iPhone 4, great for apps, location services, had speed cameras on there for use when driving. Just hated texting/emailing on it.

Also, quite conveluted to attach things to emails on iPhone, especially multiple items.

If Email is ya thing, then its gotta be a BB. I have the Bold 9900, brill phone, easy to type on, decent battery life and has a touch screen too, best of both worlds.

Steve"

Sensible view

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

BB on the way out!

What a load of *******s!

That’s not really the case though is it! The blackberry phone was designed primarily as a business tool so reps, managers and other business users could get emails while out of the office. The phone of choice/desire for the kids is the ipone to go along with their superdry tshirts and Burberry baseball caps. "

+1

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"

November 14, 2011 00:11:00

Michael Lewis

BUSINESS REPORTER

For the moment, at least, battered BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. can claim bragging rights over the world’s biggest technology company.

That’s because shares in Waterloo-based RIM have actually outperformed those of newly vulnerable Apple Inc. in recent trading, with RIM posting gains after it received a rare vote of confidence in the form of a new investment stake last week.

Apple stock, meanwhile, is being dragged down by rumors of a production slowdown.

Apple closed at $379.26 (U.S.) Monday, a decline of $5.36 that brings its slide from Nov. 7 to just over 5 per cent — with the stock managing to lag the technology-weighted Nasdaq last week in a volatile trading period.

Over the same timeframe, RIM stock slipped 3.2 per cent, closing 20 cents lower in Toronto Monday at $18.29 (Canadian).

RIM received an unusual boost when Omega Advisors initiated a holding with its acquisition of 1.5 million shares reported on Thursday.

Omega said RIM’s new BBX operating system and a family of phones using the OS that could include the _umoured BlackBerry London and BlackBerry Colt “are going to surprise people.”

I don't think you can make such a sweeping statement as BB on the way out.

The American market alone is massive.

I don't have a specific pref as I run both phones. Family and friends run android devices we all use for the specific purposes we have. I don't think you fully understand how the mobile market works and the shear volumes of devices being used.

If you want a serious bit of kit you use BB if you want fashion go for the others.

Motorola in the uk is all but extinct but worldwide is huge. At one point the only handsets to buy were Nokia then sonyericsson and though all the changing favours BB have been there and will continue to be.

And I suggest you check out the BB London if you believe they're on the way out

over a year ago

Wow never expected such a debate

Wish I never asked now as my brain is even more pickled now

Stockymark where did you see that Tesco deal ? As have looked online on the tesco website and cannot find anything like that

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

@_john121.... are you really comparing the share price of RIM to Apple...?

Apple recently became the biggest company, in terms or P/E ratio, in the world displacing companies such as MS, IBM, Google and even Exxon (who were previously the biggest).

Apple's shares may have fallen recently (and I think they'll continue to do so for a while until the market works out whether Apple without Steve Jobs is going to be as profitable) but look what they trade at compared to RIM's shares.

I agree with you, however, that RIM won't disappear completely... although I said that before about Nokia and they're not looking too healthy at the moment.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Just to add to the mix - in case your head isn't buzzing already - have a look at a telecom provider called GiffGaff. They are a 'virtual telecoms company' in so much as they piggy back off O2's network instead of owning their own masts and antennae but they are incredibly cheap and offer unlimited texts and unlimited data for only a tenner a month!

It may be worth picking up a cheap smartphone, such as an Orange San Francisco for £100 on fleabay, and sticking in a GiffGaff SIM card, instead of paying one of the more established companies £20 - £30 per month for a contract phone.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

If anyone is with Vigin, take a look at the deals for existing customers. Mrs R has a pretty good package for £12.99 and that includes an HTC Wildfire S

There is also a Blackberry deal too along with a Samsung one.

over a year ago

'Your also tied in to iTunes with the iPhone. Want to use your own ringtone? Forget it (unless you want to jailbreak, but thats a whole new ball game). You have to use iTunes for ringtones too.'

I use all of my old Motorola ring tones on my IPhone and it isn't jailbreaked

They are in ITunes library but just copied and pasted in. I just googled how to do it and followed the instructions

Has worked on all of my IPhones x

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

"If you are going with a contract phone go via one of the cashback websites and you will also get some moneyback too. "

there's no such thing - the cash you "get back" is either added to the monthly cost of your contract, or taken out of the pot that goes towards paying for your phone - so you get a crappy phone instead.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"If you are going with a contract phone go via one of the cashback websites and you will also get some moneyback too.

there's no such thing - the cash you "get back" is either added to the monthly cost of your contract, or taken out of the pot that goes towards paying for your phone - so you get a crappy phone instead.

"

Not true, mate.

I got £40 off the price of my HTC Desire when it was first released, using a site called (iirc) Top Cashback.

It didn't affect my choice of phone nor my monthly tariff (£15 p/month for 600 mins, 600 texts and 3GB data on T-Mobile).

over a year ago

"If anyone is with Vigin, take a look at the deals for existing customers. Mrs R has a pretty good package for £12.99 and that includes an HTC Wildfire S

There is also a Blackberry deal too along with a Samsung one. "

Yeah Rumor we are with Virgin and have seen that deal and do think we are going to choose one of those deals

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"If anyone is with Vigin, take a look at the deals for existing customers. Mrs R has a pretty good package for £12.99 and that includes an HTC Wildfire S

Yeah Rumor we are with Virgin and have seen that deal and do think we are going to choose one of those deals"

Even better now.. Used to be the network just ran on T-Mobile, but a few weeks ago T-Mobile teamed with Orange for network coverage and we have signal in the house where there was none before!

Like someone said before, best that you go look at the phones to choose which "feels" better in the hand. Then you can sign up for the best deal for the phone you want.

If you do that, I (and Mrs R) think the HTC will win.. Feels so nice in the hand.. Works damned fine too.. lol

Then we'd better compare notes!! lol

over a year ago

i went tom upgrade my phone last week and thought i would change from a blackberry after all the whohar, any way they showed me the brand new tourch and i i will never have douts again what a phone wow and got a really good deal, unlimted txts anytime any network, unlimted internet and 600 mins for £31 a month i thought yes please

over a year ago

Haven't got a week to read all the posts but have to say the one thing I love on my iphone - facetime!! Free video calls - ok - just via wi-fi, but who doesn't have that at home these days. Works worldwide and saves an absolute fortune if you're away from home a lot! And of course - comes in handy for looking at more than just faces!

over a year ago

"i went tom upgrade my phone last week and thought i would change from a blackberry after all the whohar, any way they showed me the brand new tourch and i i will never have douts again what a phone wow and got a really good deal, unlimted txts anytime any network, unlimted internet and 600 mins for £31 a month i thought yes please "

i had a torch, was the latest model around 6 months ago whatever number that is lol thing i couldnt get on with it was the buttons, cause its a slide they are really flat and dont have the raised bits like the other blackberrys, and i kept pressing 3 keys at once, very annoying

over a year ago

Yeah Rumor we are with Virgin and have seen that deal and do think we are going to choose one of those deals"

i got my daughter a blackberry bold 9780 on virgin i had it as a add on to my contact, was only a extra £7 a month with a free phone was well impressed, only a limited offer tho that they emntioned when i called them one day

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

I think it's clear that we all have our own preferences. I currently have a Blackberry Curve, which is a lovely phone especially for texting, but the keyboard is quite small and I keep hitting the wrong keys. However when I'm on here or sending emails at home I tend to use my iPod Touch. The virtual keyboard, in landscape mode, works like a dream. I find it quick, smooth, and responsive, but that's just my personal choice.

As for the debate about the 'end of Blackberry'? Well that's just utter nonsense! That story has been off and on for the past 10+ years and throughout all of that Blackberry market share has grown. But really so what!? Get the phone that suits you at that moment. It might be Blackberry this year, iPhone the next, or even an Android the one after? Who cares? The only people who should really be concerned are the companies who are trying to sell these things to you in any way they can.

Basically they're just phones and they have more in common than it appears. The rest is just personal choice.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"Haven't got a week to read all the posts but have to say the one thing I love on my iphone - facetime!! Free video calls - ok - just via wi-fi, but who doesn't have that at home these days. Works worldwide and saves an absolute fortune if you're away from home a lot! And of course - comes in handy for looking at more than just faces! "

It was funny how when Steve Jobs was presenting this last year he kept on implying this was new and unique to iPhones, and how "this changes everything". When in reality Facetime wasn't the first to do this. You've been able to do it with Skype for years - and Skype works over 3G too. And not only on the latest model of a phone.

By *ickens CiderMan
over a year ago

taunton

Um... would suggest request a free sim card form each service provider and test in an unlocked phone for signal in those area you live, work and play lets say...

I recently did this what with living in a rural area, where at home I've never had the best of signals in the past? And for me I've finally found a 3G signal from the Three network... and when I asked in one of the shops to look up my postcode they said I'd get no or very poor signal? So they don't always know!

Just now wished I'd don't the sim card signal testing before...

So I've moved from O2 to Three got rid of the stupid contract that I had that cost me nearly £65 a month with all the data and tethering allowance I had... can now do the same for £15 all you can eat data on PAYG, 3000 text and 300 minutes a month... plus with proper 3G speeds which I never had before! Awesome... lol

I'm an iPhone fan and since switching to Three my battery life has increased... uses 15-20% where as the same sort of day with O2 the battery would be down to those sort of levels come the end of the day? I think its because the Phone isn't hunting for signal all day its just there... I'm impressed by Three having been on Orange and T-Mobile... Vodafone has no signal in my area?

I like the fact you can upgrade the iOS on the iPhone... and I like the updates on the last version...

And I'm not sure if this effect iPhones too... but there was a recent new story that hacker are now making Apps to steal info from smartphones... or are making connection in the background to premium rate call lines extra... the first you know about it is when the bill turns up in the post... another sign is unexpected lost of battery life... and one of the Malware Apps mentioned was a Battery Life App on the Android platform?

So yes its a minefield out there and the sad ass spotty nerds that live sad lives in there bedroom and get their kick out of hacking Smartphones these days! Assholes!

And a final thought... those I work with that have Andriod phones can't seem to not walk pass a USB cable without having to stop and charge the battery up? At least the iPhone isn't that power hungry?

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"@_john121.... are you really comparing the share price of RIM to Apple...?

Apple recently became the biggest company, in terms or P/E ratio, in the world displacing companies such as MS, IBM, Google and even Exxon (who were previously the biggest).

Apple's shares may have fallen recently (and I think they'll continue to do so for a while until the market works out whether Apple without Steve Jobs is going to be as profitable) but look what they trade at compared to RIM's shares.

I agree with you, however, that RIM won't disappear completely... although I said that before about Nokia and they're not looking too healthy at the moment."

Nope just pointing out whats being reported; as _abio is convinced BB are on the way out as you would have read in his earlier post.

over a year ago

hi , i have had all the phone on the market and the best is htc desire s , very easy to use , i am on orange dolphin 200 min and unlim text 250 g mobile internet

over a year ago

go HTC and i don't think you'll go too far wrong. I've had HTC phones for years and am currently using the HTC desire HD.

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

"Um... would suggest request a free sim card form each service provider and test in an unlocked phone for signal in those area you live, work and play lets say...

I recently did this what with living in a rural area, where at home I've never had the best of signals in the past? And for me I've finally found a 3G signal from the Three network... and when I asked in one of the shops to look up my postcode they said I'd get no or very poor signal? So they don't always know!

Just now wished I'd don't the sim card signal testing before...

So I've moved from O2 to Three got rid of the stupid contract that I had that cost me nearly £65 a month with all the data and tethering allowance I had... can now do the same for £15 all you can eat data on PAYG, 3000 text and 300 minutes a month... plus with proper 3G speeds which I never had before! Awesome... lol

I'm an iPhone fan and since switching to Three my battery life has increased... uses 15-20% where as the same sort of day with O2 the battery would be down to those sort of levels come the end of the day? I think its because the Phone isn't hunting for signal all day its just there... I'm impressed by Three having been on Orange and T-Mobile... Vodafone has no signal in my area?

I like the fact you can upgrade the iOS on the iPhone... and I like the updates on the last version...

And I'm not sure if this effect iPhones too... but there was a recent new story that hacker are now making Apps to steal info from smartphones... or are making connection in the background to premium rate call lines extra... the first you know about it is when the bill turns up in the post... another sign is unexpected lost of battery life... and one of the Malware Apps mentioned was a Battery Life App on the Android platform?

So yes its a minefield out there and the sad ass spotty nerds that live sad lives in there bedroom and get their kick out of hacking Smartphones these days! Assholes!

And a final thought... those I work with that have Andriod phones can't seem to not walk pass a USB cable without having to stop and charge the battery up? At least the iPhone isn't that power hungry? "

This is a greater problem on the Android platform. Because it is free and not policed it means that anyone can modify the OS, hence why there is this plethora of different flavours and UI, which has created a lot of confusion and security issues. But more importantly this also applies to Android Apps. The App Store is totally free and open and this allows anyone to create malicious software, unchallenged, and upload it to the store where others can download it to their hearts content.

Luckily despite the many criticisms from certain quarters, mostly IT and PC geeks, Apple's 'closed garden' approach is precisely what makes the iOS platform more secure, and such hacks less likely, and precisely why Google are interested in adopting the same approach.

Post new Message to Thread