Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hospital Incomptance

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A close family member has recently gone through the IVF process. On the 20th October she was told it was sucessful and she was 4 weeks pregant.

By the 3rd November she wasnt feeling right and after a couple of visits to the hospital and a few scans, she was told there was no heartbeat. She was told she was no longer pregnant and she just had to wait for her body to reject the fetus.

After a scan on Friday where once again she was told there was no heartbeat but her body hadnt rejected it, she was booked in for a D & C this morning.

So off to the hospital today, before the D & C her father and partner demanded another scan before the procedur, the hospital didnt want to carry this out, stating that on Friday there was no heartbeat.

The scan was done....and there is a heartbeat! Its small for the age but its still there and hanging on.

Its been a bit of a rollercoaster ride recently. For her and the family. So hopefully this wee thing hangs on in there.

But if another scan hadnt been demanded today, the hosiptal would have D & C'd a living thing out of her.

So its fingers crossed in this household for the next wee while.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

will keep fingers crossed as well x

over a year ago

Thank you.x

You just want everything to be ok.

To say we are all in shock this morning is a bit of an understatement.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

a friend of mines sister in law had tried for years to have another child amongst lots of 'female' issues. she was finally scheduled for a hysterectomy and the one thing they forgot to do - which apparently they are supposed to do - was a pregnancy test. after the op they told her she had been pregnant with a little girl but by the time they discovered that it was too late for the baby.

its the tragedy she'll never get over.

over a year ago

I hope everything is ok. The babies guardian angel must have been whispering in the partners and her fathers ear

over a year ago

"I hope everything is ok. The babies guardian angel must have been whispering in the partners and her fathers ear"

Thanks.

Must be something.

Cause to be honest she didnt want another scan today. She just wanted rid of this 'dead' thing inside her. After the elation of being pregnant, the heartache and poking and prodding that it took her to get there, emotionally, menatally and physically she had nothing left to give this morning.

She just wanted it over.

Someone/something is looking after the wee 1.

over a year ago

"a friend of mines sister in law had tried for years to have another child amongst lots of 'female' issues. she was finally scheduled for a hysterectomy and the one thing they forgot to do - which apparently they are supposed to do - was a pregnancy test. after the op they told her she had been pregnant with a little girl but by the time they discovered that it was too late for the baby.

its the tragedy she'll never get over."

I can not even begin to understand how this must have affected not only your friend but her family and I have no words to express how I am feeling after reading that as saying sorry just doesnt seem enough xxxx

over a year ago

Disgusting testament

But fantastic news I hope the rest goes smoothly for you all xx

over a year ago

hope all goes well for this family x

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

I have to say i'm not surprised.

My story is similar but sadly doesn't have the same happy ending.

On 22nd October, I too discovered I was pregnant following IVF and 26 months of trying.

10 days later (2nd November) I started bleeding at 5+2. I called the IVF clinic in a panic to be told all I could do was wait for my scan which had already been booked in for 14th November (today) Over 2 weeks away!

Not happy with this, I called the GP who got me into the EPU the next day where it was confirmed through a blood test I was miscarrying.

I bled for only 1.5 days and have never been offered a scan to make sure everything has gone. Nobody really explained anything to me and nor have I been offered any help to come to terms with the fact that i've lost the baby I tried for 2 and a half years for.

I wish your family member all the luck in the world. No one understands how truly hard and lonely the IVF process is until they have been through it themselves.

*Her*

over a year ago

Sorry i'm another one with a sad story but this one had a happy ending.

My cousin had been trying for years for a baby, then at 6months she was told to abort as the baby had downs. She point blank refused and the out come was a beautiful baby girl who was a 100% healthy not with downs xxxx

it just goes to show not all drs listen......

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

i wish your friend all the luck. my son is a miracle bay. every odd possible was stacked against him

over a year ago

"i wish your friend all the luck. my son is a miracle bay. every odd possible was stacked against him"

Thank you all.

Its just a waiting game now till the next scan in 10 days.

over a year ago

In total agreement and my heart goes out to anyone who has suffered the loss of a baby

I had a healthy baby with no problems but then had 5 miscarriages. After each one I had to spend a night in hospital sharing a ward with women waiting for abortions - not nice

Love to you all

xxx

over a year ago

There is another possibility- your friend was carrying twins and the other baby had the strong heartbeat and she lost that one, sometimes the smaller one is lost in the sounds and you won't find out until later on.. but it is a wonderful thing to find the one fighing little one xx

And for those who have been through the process and lost ones I can''ot say anything that makes it any better but huge hugs xx

over a year ago

"Sorry i'm another one with a sad story but this one had a happy ending.

My cousin had been trying for years for a baby, then at 6months she was told to abort as the baby had downs. She point blank refused and the out come was a beautiful baby girl who was a 100% healthy not with downs xxxx

it just goes to show not all drs listen......"

my sister had down baby when she was 19,her daughter now hapy 10 year old and she so sweet.

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

I can only empathize with you all, I only got a glimpse of what it would be like when my youngest was born not breathing and had to be resusitated. Those 5 minutes where the longest in my life. Thankfully she is now a grown women of 20yrs.

My heart goes out to all of you and to the OP I hope all goes well.

xxx

over a year ago

"There is another possibility- your friend was carrying twins and the other baby had the strong heartbeat and she lost that one, sometimes the smaller one is lost in the sounds and you won't find out until later on.. but it is a wonderful thing to find the one fighing little one xx

And for those who have been through the process and lost ones I can''ot say anything that makes it any better but huge hugs xx"

She was implanted with 2 eggs, and with being IVF which increases the chance of mulitpul births and a family history of twins, I think it maybe was twins, with one of them miscarrying.

And we do understand at this early stage that things arent easy to decect.

When I posted this morning I was just in shock, but the fact remains if there wasnt another scan carried out this morning, they would have terminated a much wanted baby.

Its small but it is growing. All we can do is hope.

Post new Message to Thread