Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

FIFA get the message

Jump to newest

By *BW38j OP   Woman
over a year ago

Dudley/Telford

they backed down when william intervened. poppies are neither religious or political, they are a mark of our upmost respect and gratitude to the armed forces who protected us over the years.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

But will Spain be so charitable on the night/day?

By *BW38j OP   Woman
over a year ago

Dudley/Telford

"

But will Spain be so charitable on the night/day?"

hope so

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The public display of poppies on a solemn occasion have a sense of purpose to British people the world over. On a football field where one half of the people on it are not British is smacks of jingoism. I support Fifa's stance on poppies not being displayed at football matches and I support the wearing of poppies elsewhere where appropriate.

over a year ago

"The public display of poppies on a solemn occasion have a sense of purpose to British people the world over. On a football field where one half of the people on it are not British is smacks of jingoism. I support Fifa's stance on poppies not being displayed at football matches and I support the wearing of poppies elsewhere where appropriate."

Brave stance, personally I think if theres a game around the date and a team from Britain is playing in it and deosnt wear some sort of poppy, its a crime against the nation.

See people can disagree and get along!

x

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The public display of poppies on a solemn occasion have a sense of purpose to British people the world over. On a football field where one half of the people on it are not British is smacks of jingoism. I support Fifa's stance on poppies not being displayed at football matches and I support the wearing of poppies elsewhere where appropriate."

Ditto....

over a year ago

The words to some of the national anthems are far more jingoistic surely...a strange arguement methinks..

over a year ago

"The public display of poppies on a solemn occasion have a sense of purpose to British people the world over. On a football field where one half of the people on it are not British is smacks of jingoism. I support Fifa's stance on poppies not being displayed at football matches and I support the wearing of poppies elsewhere where appropriate.

Brave stance, personally I think if theres a game around the date and a team from Britain is playing in it and deosnt wear some sort of poppy, its a crime against the nation.

x"

British soldiers didn't only die in November, that's OUR date for remembering them, not Spain's, nor Italy's, nor France's.

But I understand what you're saying.

over a year ago

My sentiments exactly.

over a year ago

Its a corporate world eh !!! ...sigh...

What disturbs me ..is some think their opinion should dictate the personal freedoms of others...

Fuck the controlling buggers....

Leave people alone..

When will this insane interference in peoples personal lives end...

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"British soldiers didn't only die in November, that's OUR date for remembering them, not Spain's, nor Italy's, nor France's.

But I understand what you're saying. "

Actually November 11th is a National Holiday in France and is remembered just as much as we do

over a year ago

"British soldiers didn't only die in November, that's OUR date for remembering them, not Spain's, nor Italy's, nor France's.

Actually November 11th is a National Holiday in France and is remembered just as much as we do"

I stand corrected and enlightened. Thank you xx

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Actually November 11th is a National Holiday in France and is remembered just as much as we do"

You learn French quickly lol xx

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"

You learn French quickly lol xx"

Moi?

over a year ago

As I understand it, the footballers Do have the option of wearing a black armband if they wish, so I think they could do that.

And how about they give a weeks wages (a drop in the ocean to them), to the British Legion, while they are at it, they have had enough free press, especially the disgraced Terry, to help his public image (or am I just that cynical?).

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Wishy, I have never heard anything so ridiculous! So, I go to a meeting with three people from Europe to sell them some tools. It is around this time of year and as always I am wearing a poppy! Are you saying that I should take my poppy off because it “smacks of jingoism”?

I am walking around Nelsons Column and there are loads of tourists there, should I not wear a poppy in case I upset someone? Do you really agree that we should change our way of life because someone from foreign shores doesn’t like what we do? Do you really think we should take notice of anyone who tells us that it is not politically correct to do this, that or the other? If they get upset by that, it says more about them than it does about us…

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"And how about they give a weeks wages (a drop in the ocean to them), to the British Legion, while they are at it, they have had enough free press, especially the disgraced Terry, to help his public image (or am I just that cynical?)."

FFS!!! How did this become a moan about footballers?

over a year ago

"And how about they give a weeks wages (a drop in the ocean to them), to the British Legion, while they are at it, they have had enough free press, especially the disgraced Terry, to help his public image (or am I just that cynical?).

FFS!!! How did this become a moan about footballers? "

It didn't until I chose to make it one.

Thanks to the fallen we have freedom of speech.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"And how about they give a weeks wages (a drop in the ocean to them), to the British Legion, while they are at it, they have had enough free press, especially the disgraced Terry, to help his public image (or am I just that cynical?).

FFS!!! How did this become a moan about footballers?

Thanks to the fallen we have freedom of speech."

Ahh! That old chestnut!!

over a year ago

"FFS!!! How did this become a moan about footballers?

Thanks to the fallen we have freedom of speech. Ahh! That old chestnut!! "

Or they could wear the black armbands as a sign of respect for the poor pilot killed in his red arrow.

Either way, they Do have a way of signifying how they feel on the pitch.

And they can wear their poppies on their suits, before and after the game, surely?

over a year ago

"The public display of poppies on a solemn occasion have a sense of purpose to British people the world over. On a football field where one half of the people on it are not British is smacks of jingoism. I support Fifa's stance on poppies not being displayed at football matches and I support the wearing of poppies elsewhere where appropriate.

Wishy, I have never heard anything so ridiculous! So, I go to a meeting with three people from Europe to sell them some tools. It is around this time of year and as always I am wearing a poppy! Are you saying that I should take my poppy off because it “smacks of jingoism”?

I am walking around Nelsons Column and there are loads of tourists there, should I not wear a poppy in case I upset someone? Do you really agree that we should change our way of life because someone from foreign shores doesn’t like what we do? Do you really think we should take notice of anyone who tells us that it is not politically correct to do this, that or the other? If they get upset by that, it says more about them than it does about us…

"

And if the game had been against Germany? What then? Or would it be too sensitive to play against our Eurofriends in November?

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"And if the game had been against Germany? What then? Or would it be too sensitive to play against our Eurofriends in November?"

No difference and why should there be? That scenario of selling tools was three days ago (Monday) with the bosses of a major tool company in Germany. Both of them were also wearing poppies as a mark of respect for me as much as anything. It would seem that it is only (some) Brits that are over sensitive while the rest of the world takes no notice! Apart from that it was you who thought it may upset someone, not me!

As an aside, never sold em a thing, but I will definitely buy from them in future!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I still maintain that the wearing of the poppy is a personal thing and should remain a personal thing, I don't think it should ever be a team thing....I prefer to see individuals wearing it because they want to and understand the reason behind the poppy when they are wearing it.....and not because some organisation (like the FA) tells them they have to display it.

That's not knocking professional footballers, nor questioning whether as individuals they believe in wearing it or not.....just that I like to see people thinking for themselves in life.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"I still maintain that the wearing of the poppy is a personal thing and should remain a personal thing, I don't think it should ever be a team thing....I prefer to see individuals wearing it because they want to and understand the reason behind the poppy when they are wearing it.....and not because some organisation (like the FA) tells them they have to display it.

That's not knocking professional footballers, nor questioning whether as individuals they believe in wearing it or not.....just that I like to see people thinking for themselves in life.

"

Yes Jane, I do agree with the whole thinking for themselves thing. I am by no means advocating that they should be made to wear a poppy, more that if they want to, they should.

But, to shoot my own view down in flames (well, to at least damage the wing and engine shroud badly!) Who out of the footballers will dare NOT to wear a poppy now it has been OK'd! These guys are sheep in as much as they want to look the best they can, so perhaps it is actually taking away the choice from them...

Off to do more thinking on the subject!

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

"

British soldiers didn't only die in November, that's OUR date for remembering them, not Spain's, nor Italy's, nor France's.

But I understand what you're saying. "

how does that saying go?,when in rome,do as the romans do!.

except when in britain when the visitors can bend the rules/laws to suit themselves me thinks?.

over a year ago

x"

"A crime against the nation". What utter nonsense!!!!

over a year ago

FIFA! well do you all expect with Sepp Blatter in charge! nuff said!

over a year ago

"they backed down when william intervened. poppies are neither religious or political, they are a mark of our upmost respect and gratitude to the armed forces who protected us over the years.

"

I have no respect for the armed forces whatsoever. If people didn't join them, then regardless of what national leaders want wars simply wouldn't be possible.

I wonder if you have ever been to a place where a war is being fought, as I have, and seen lumps of bloody flesh which were once living human beings-including children. Probably not.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

oh right!,you think then that we should all stand back and let anyone invade and kill like the germans in 1939-45 and do nothing?,that would have solved all the worlds problems?,i think not!.

over a year ago

im glad they have backed down

over a year ago

x

"A crime against the nation". What utter nonsense!!!!"

Its not nonsense because its an opinion and mine is as valid as yours.

x

By *he BananamanMan
over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

am with you on this!,we all have a valid opinion!.

over a year ago

According to German born FIFA supremo Sepp Blatter, having a red poppy embroidered on your shirt is a sign of a political statement. Surely a national anthem makes slightly more political noise than a little red drawing on your sleeve.

Unless it's a swastika, of course.

over a year ago

"According to German born FIFA supremo Sepp Blatter, having a red poppy embroidered on your shirt is a sign of a political statement. Surely a national anthem makes slightly more political noise than a little red drawing on your sleeve.

Unless it's a swastika, of course."

i wonder if someone put fuck off fifa on the clothes would it be acceptable

Post new Message to Thread