Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

One for you fight fans

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It pains me to see "respect" threads turned into arguments, so leave the Joe Frazier thread to the people who want to pay their respects to the great man.

History is littered with great fighters and no doubt we all have our ideas of who are or were the best.

My all time favourite fighter is Jack Dempsey, "The Mannassa Mauler". Jack reigned during The Depression, he got his fighting schooling starting in his early teens, fighting full grown men for money in saloon bars. He left home at 13 to ease the burdon on his family and vowed to go home when he'd made it.

And make it he did. Jack was involved in the first 2 or 3 $1m fights. His fights filled sports stadiums.

As fight fans we're lucky that we can check out more or less any fighter on Wikipedia.

Jack Dempsey was the man who Iron Mike Tyson modelled himself on, or rather who's fighting style he closely followed.

Jack Dempsey never entered the ring weighing much more than 13 stones, and so I would back him to beat any of the recent World Champs of the last 30 or 40yrs.

It's difficult comparing fighters of different era's, because the only real way of deciding who is best is for them to face each other.

So, over to you people, who's your favourite?

Like I said, history is littered with really great fighters, boxers and brawlers.

What about Jake LaMotta, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Julio Ceasar Chavez, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and hundreds of others that just fall off the tongue?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

"It pains me to see "respect" threads turned into arguments, so leave the Joe Frazier thread to the people who want to pay their respects to the great man.

History is littered with great fighters and no doubt we all have our ideas of who are or were the best.

My all time favourite fighter is Jack Dempsey, "The Mannassa Mauler". Jack reigned during The Depression, he got his fighting schooling starting in his early teens, fighting full grown men for money in saloon bars. He left home at 13 to ease the burdon on his family and vowed to go home when he'd made it.

And make it he did. Jack was involved in the first 2 or 3 $1m fights. His fights filled sports stadiums.

As fight fans we're lucky that we can check out more or less any fighter on Wikipedia.

Jack Dempsey was the man who Iron Mike Tyson modelled himself on, or rather who's fighting style he closely followed.

Jack Dempsey never entered the ring weighing much more than 13 stones, and so I would back him to beat any of the recent World Champs of the last 30 or 40yrs.

It's difficult comparing fighters of different era's, because the only real way of deciding who is best is for them to face each other.

So, over to you people, who's your favourite?

Like I said, history is littered with really great fighters, boxers and brawlers.

What about Jake LaMotta, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Julio Ceasar Chavez, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, and hundreds of others that just fall off the tongue? "

typo above... I would not back Jack against many of the modern day heavyweight champs

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

So good they named a shite sports centre in a shite town after him, ladies and gentlemen we give you .....Richard Dunn.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Very, very nice man is Richard Dunn. I used to live next door to him and a harder working and more decent man you'd struggle to find. He had his shot at the title and lost, but at least he had his shot.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Very, very nice man is Richard Dunn. I used to live next door to him and a harder working and more decent man you'd struggle to find. He had his shot at the title and lost, but at least he had his shot."

True and no doubt what you say, well done to the man but it was a mismatch.

over a year ago

"Very, very nice man is Richard Dunn. I used to live next door to him and a harder working and more decent man you'd struggle to find. He had his shot at the title and lost, but at least he had his shot.

True and no doubt what you say, well done to the man but it was a mismatch. "

Which miss match are you talking about, the one with Ali or the one with Bugner?

over a year ago

Marvellous marvin for me every time. As a kid, I used to watch boxing with my grandad and Marvin was the man to watch.

Always loved boxing, my great great great uncle was a boxer/actor called Victor McLaglen. Fought and lost to Jack Johnson. Guess the love of boxing is in the blood

over a year ago

"

So good they named a shite sports centre in a shite town after him, ladies and gentlemen we give you .....Richard Dunn.

"

Oh dear...thats rather ignominious lol..

Good shout Jack...the other thread wasn`t appropriatte I agree..even if its just debate or banter..

Oh..dunno much about Dempsey...he`s always mentioned in the boxing world talk of great champs...but like you say....he was to small..

I revered Ali...I don`t think he was the greatest...prolly the smartest ..

Oh...the days of Duran...Hearns..Leonard and Hagler...

Hagler what a fighter...

Leonard what a boxer..

over a year ago

"Marvellous marvin for me every time. As a kid, I used to watch boxing with my grandad and Marvin was the man to watch.

Always loved boxing, my great great great uncle was a boxer/actor called Victor McLaglen. Fought and lost to Jack Johnson. Guess the love of boxing is in the blood"

Victor McLagen famously starred alongside John Wayne in "The Quiet Man".

Didn't know he'd fought Jack Johnson though, now he is another one for the list of true greats. He had to pay his dues to get his shot, but he infuriated too many people with the way he portrayed himself.

A bit of a boy was our Jack, lol

over a year ago

Like I said in my opening post, just use Wikipedia for a rundown on most of the champs from most of the history of boxing and even back to bare knuckle times.

Check out Tom Molyneax, a former black slave who rose to the heights of stardom through his skill in the prize ring.

Tom Cribb, Jem Mace and loads of others all have great life stories.

Anyone from the Black Country will know William Perry, better known as "The Tipton Slasher" All England Champion and who today, has a statue outside his former home The Fountain public house in Tipton, only a couple of miles from Chameleons, if anyone wants to go and pay homeage

By *DSRMan
over a year ago

leicester

ward vs gatti fight 1 is amazing, another modern great fight was...

Diego Corrales vs. Jose Luis Castillo

I will have to take a good read of this thread at someone point :D i love my boxing.. pat on the back for the thread starter xxxxx

over a year ago

Roberto "hands of stone" Duran Fighting machine!

over a year ago

I know its not a smoking Joe thread but isnt it funny how tiny margins make such a huge difference in sport, Ali's is rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my opinion) called the greatest. Proof that if you say something loud and confidently enough some people will believe it.

But during his deciding fight with Joe he wasnt going to come out for that last (was it the last round?) was begging for his gloves to be cut off, and Joe was begging his corner to continue which they didnt do. At the end Ali couldnt even get himself of his stool, collapsed so he wasnt kidding when he said he was done.

Now if that trilogy had gone the other way could anyone really quote Ali as the greatest?

Id love to go back and see these old boxers, didnt dempsey come up with the barrow roll? but cant say who's the greatest. Sugar Ray Robinson seems to win most peoples votes.

But my faves are two, Pacquiao just mesmerises me. And Lewis, for his sweet sweet science

x

over a year ago

i was brought up listening to my grandad tell my dad joe ,brown bomber louis , would kick ali,s butt and my dad telling me the same bout ali and mike tyson , however , it,s immpossible to say who was best ever , i thought hagle was amazing, but watching films clips suger ray robison looked something else ,

despite the fact that only some make it big, and there are some bad boxers , no one can criticise the fact it take a brave man to go oint the ring ,

over a year ago

Haggler, Roberto hands of stone Duran and Tyson, my all time favourites come from the field of Muay Thai rather than boxing but I respect any man who stands toe to toe with his opponent

over a year ago

"Haggler, Roberto hands of stone Duran and Tyson, my all time favourites come from the field of Muay Thai rather than boxing but I respect any man who stands toe to toe with his opponent "

Love the Muay Thai!!

over a year ago

Bruce Lee.

Although he was classed as a martial artist (martial meaning war, artist as in performing), he was one of the quickest men in the world with his hands and very accurate too.

If you look at the real way he actually fought, it was more of a boxing/street fighting, do what comes naturally, type of fighting.

He was the first well known pugilist to mix all styles together forming Jeet Kune Do.

Bruce Lee himself said that if Muhamed Ali hit him he would have wiped him out, but would he be quick enough to hit me.

So for me, Bruce Lee is the main man for fighting.

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

Although he was classed as a martial artist (martial meaning war, artist as in performing), he was one of the quickest men in the world with his hands and very accurate too.

If you look at the real way he actually fought, it was more of a boxing/street fighting, do what comes naturally, type of fighting.

He was the first well known pugilist to mix all styles together forming Jeet Kune Do.

Bruce Lee himself said that if Muhamed Ali hit him he would have wiped him out, but would he be quick enough to hit me.

So for me, Bruce Lee is the main man for fighting."

Id put a top Thai boxer against him anyday, other than the ground game, he'd be beat all ends up.

Just my opinion of course, but for a thai to get to the top he needs the speed of a rattle snake, power of a bear, mental and phsyical toughness matching any boxer and tons of natural ability.

Train 6 days a week and are fighting sometimes twice a week from 8-9 years old. Bloody different breed but I love em. Always respectful to each too.

Sorry im a proper fan boy haha!

x

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

Id put a top Thai boxer against him anyday, other than the ground game, he'd be beat all ends up.

Just my opinion of course, but for a thai to get to the top he needs the speed of a rattle snake, power of a bear, mental and phsyical toughness matching any boxer and tons of natural ability.

Train 6 days a week and are fighting sometimes twice a week from 8-9 years old. Bloody different breed but I love em. Always respectful to each too.

x"

They have two arms, two legs and a mind so anything is possible.

Determination is the key.

Have you read any of Bruce Lee's books or watched the rare training films? Well worth reading and watching for anyone.

Youtube Bruce Lee's "Be like water"

over a year ago

Diets and training regimes have moved on a long way and will continue to do so, I respect those that have achieved things in their own chosen sport from any era

over a year ago

"Diets and training regimes have moved on a long way and will continue to do so, I respect those that have achieved things in their own chosen sport from any era "

Agreed.

Get the basic foundations layed and then train how you want to for your own specific needs.

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

x

Have you read any of Bruce Lee's books or watched the rare training films? Well worth reading and watching for anyone.

Youtube Bruce Lee's "Be like water""

Yeh iv seen a lot of bruce lee stuff, obviously an awesome specimen, just not sure if he'd have stood it in a ring with them guys. Not cos he didnt have the ability, more to do with the experience.

Its a true blood sport, generally agreed to be the best stand up game (its why most MMA-ers, which Bruce would have loved I think, im not a fan. choose it as thier striking game) and the fighters have had usually well over 100 (I think its close to 200) wars by the time they reach their prime.

Which doesnt usually last too long cos there shot damamged by 23-24 a lot of the time!

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpxVQ-S_XIM&feature=related

I know it seems cruel by our standards nut if they dont start em that young they have no chance of surviving to become,

This guy. Generally called the most talented thai boxer ever, although strangely that doesnt mean the best. He was an IBF world boxing champ too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLD7hEzZEs

Bruce was incredible though woulda been a very interesting to see him really fight a pro!!

x

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

x

Yeh iv seen a lot of bruce lee stuff, obviously an awesome specimen, just not sure if he'd have stood it in a ring with them guys. Not cos he didnt have the ability, more to do with the experience.

Its a true blood sport, generally agreed to be the best stand up game (its why most MMA-ers, which Bruce would have loved I think, im not a fan. choose it as thier striking game) and the fighters have had usually well over 100 (I think its close to 200) wars by the time they reach their prime.

Which doesnt usually last too long cos there shot damamged by 23-24 a lot of the time!

Watch this

I know it seems cruel by our standards nut if they dont start em that young they have no chance of surviving to become,

This guy. Generally called the most talented thai boxer ever, although strangely that doesnt mean the best. He was an IBF world boxing champ too.

Bruce was incredible though woulda been a very interesting to see him really fight a pro!!

x"

MMA wouldn't have been where it was today without Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts.

The basic instinct of self protection for most people in a fight, be it the ring or the street, is to guard yourself and strike with a fist, which boxing is all about. Put kicking into the equation = kick boxing and so on etc etc and another style will evolve. Muay Thai is a tough, traditional sport, but in my oppinion it remains a little static in terms of progression and practicality outside of the ring. No-one can take away how their tough regime will shape them as Muay Thai fighters but more fluidity and progression would make it a more useful tool in the real world.

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

x

Watch this

x

MMA wouldn't have been where it was today without Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts.

The basic instinct of self protection for most people in a fight, be it the ring or the street, is to guard yourself and strike with a fist, which boxing is all about. Put kicking into the equation = kick boxing and so on etc etc and another style will evolve. Muay Thai is a tough, traditional sport, but in my oppinion it remains a little static in terms of progression and practicality outside of the ring. No-one can take away how their tough regime will shape them as Muay Thai fighters but more fluidity and progression would make it a more useful tool in the real world.

"

Very good points. Still wouldnt mess with em lol, on a thai boxing binge now. Probably wpont sleep for hours haha.

x

over a year ago

I disagree, Muay Thai can be very fluid and though it has remained pretty much unchanged except in Europe it still holds it owns as one of the top if not top stand up fighting arts, most MMA and a lot of other martial arts have used it's techniques in developing there own, watching the Thai's fight in Lumpini stadium is and amazing thing

over a year ago

"Bruce Lee.

So for me, Bruce Lee is the main man for fighting."

Most small boxers are lightening fast. Bruce Lee was in fact a traditional boxer for a time, and a few knowledgeable people have said that he was a potential champion.

He deserves his place in fighting folk lore

over a year ago

I disagree, Muay Thai can be very fluid and though it has remained pretty much unchanged except in Europe it still holds it owns as one of the top if not top stand up fighting arts, most MMA and a lot of other martial arts have used it's techniques in developing there own, watching the Thai's fight in Lumpini stadium is an amazing thing

over a year ago

"MMA wouldn't have been where it was today without Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts.

I disagree, Muay Thai can be very fluid and though it has remained pretty much unchanged except in Europe it still holds it owns as one of the top if not top stand up fighting arts, most MMA and a lot of other martial arts have used it's techniques in developing there own, watching the Thai's fight in Lumpini stadium is an amazing thing "

Definitely can't take anything away from them or the style or their dedication to the sport and way of life (a religion to them), same as the Cubans for boxing, its their way, doing what works for them.

Everyone is different and has different physical capabilities and mental aptitudes and attitudes, hence so many styles.

As quoted earlier

“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Bruce Lee

over a year ago

"MMA wouldn't have been where it was today without Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts.

I disagree, Muay Thai can be very fluid and though it has remained pretty much unchanged except in Europe it still holds it owns as one of the top if not top stand up fighting arts, most MMA and a lot of other martial arts have used it's techniques in developing there own, watching the Thai's fight in Lumpini stadium is an amazing thing "

One day, that and Raja. I have been to Thailand but got very ill. Did see one show in udanthani which was amazing.

Rambo was the main man in that stadium was expected to do good things, heard of him?

x

over a year ago

All I know is, if any of the above mentioned boxers and fighters fetched me one up the hooter, I'd be on me fat arse with birds tweeting around my head and I'd be asking if anyone got the number of the bus that I thought had hit me

Post new Message to Thread