Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

facebook

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

so facebook is watching your web use....

is this a bit big brother or doesnt it bother you?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Face book has always and will always seriously worried me

I actually believe that it will eventually be instrumental in the breakdown of society unless its kept in check

Hence i deleted my profile years ago

over a year ago

"Face book has always and will always seriously worried me

I actually believe that it will eventually be instrumental in the breakdown of society unless its kept in check

Hence i deleted my profile years ago "

explain please

over a year ago

they prob have been doing it for ages anyway ..... nothing online is private . part of the technological social lives we seem to lead . says me ...posting on a forum on a swingers site , honestly i amaze myself with my bs sometimes

over a year ago

explain please"

Take the riots fa instance and the way people used it to organize

It causes trouble between families

Some use it to bully others

People have been sacked from their jobs for comments on face book etc etc

It needs keeping in check

But thats just my take on it

over a year ago

explain please

But thats just my take on it "

i agree with it

i know my work managers like my facebook as its shows who are using the phones while on shift, hence why all the big managers arent on my favebook and blocked

over a year ago

If Facebook imploded tomorrow I would not lose any sleep, but by eck there'd be masses of people soon going cold turkey and fearful of being unpopular once again

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Just about everywhere you go these days on the 'Net tries to put tracking cookies on your PC! Facebook has been a late comer to this and poses no threat to those who are properly protected!

Plenty of scaremongering goes on about this stuff, but we still expect sites like Facebook to put it all out there for free? Yep! They get money from advertising, but that is why they put trackers on your PC!

They can target adverts for stuff you look at instead of it being random. Two years ago we wanted a garden shed, so we looked on the 'Net. From then on we seemed to have loads of adverts for sheds. Once we had the tracking scan on the PC, hey presto they stopped.

Those on Virgin can use the free security program to stop trackers and also for all other security and it is free for package XL and above. Most other broadband suppliers will either have similar or will reccomend one.

We use Facebook a great deal for family who are scattered all over the world and as a free service, second to none!

By *ottyhunkCouple
over a year ago

Leyburn

Agree with soapy!

over a year ago

Can proudly say I have never had or wanted a facebook account! I know some of you will find that shocking, have watched my kids used it and never been tempted. Just something I dont trust about it. But hey it would be a strage world if we all thought the same

By *ngel Devil69Couple
over a year ago

Manilva

Friends and family have had so many problems, from things posted on Facebook. It is nothing but a virus in our society

over a year ago

i was using social networking sites for years, one will pop up another will leave...again its just a branding that people decide is most popular(ie iphones,kindles),TOPTIP: dont use another email address for work,looking for work, set profile to private etc, theres many tools avail if u can be bothered sorting out on almost any social networking site.

I personally find it disgusting that u cant get d*unk during a weekend and post pics about a fabulous time and have employers nosing in!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

The cause of much grief.....

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

And the cause of much joy.....to families who have loved ones living overseas and find it a godsend when attempting to keep in touch with their lives.

Also for those who have used Facebook and sites of it's kind to contact long lost relatives and friends.

Like anything in life, it's got good points and bad points, and also depends on how you use it and how much public info you care to divulge about yourself....

over a year ago

"And the cause of much joy.....to families who have loved ones living overseas and find it a godsend when attempting to keep in touch with their lives.

Also for those who have used Facebook and sites of it's kind to contact long lost relatives and friends.

Like anything in life, it's got good points and bad points, and also depends on how you use it and how much public info you care to divulge about yourself...."

Thats how i see it there is good and bad and for me its more of a social thing so don't involve people at work with it and careful who knows about me using it.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

facebook is a bag of shite.

By *ytraCouple
over a year ago

Wrexham

IMO facebook is trouble, however we do use it mainly as a free way of promoting our businesses.

Unfortunatley, like all social media and forums, chat rooms etc the info is still freely available on the net if you know where to look. A few times i have been searching google for something and it has brought up parts of profiles or forum messages in the search

over a year ago

Facebook is a bad, bad thing. Consider the stunning amount of personal data the site collects, just by virtue of the things people post on it.

Many users willing pour their entire lives into it, play out their lives on it, post photos of every aspect of themsevles on it - and once Facebook has the information, they can pretty much do what they want with it.

Its like telling a complete stranger everything about you and giving him the family album to back it up.

I shudder to think where it is all going to end!

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"so facebook is watching your web use....

is this a bit big brother or doesnt it bother you?"

Facebook is nothing but a data mining tool. You gave away so much information such as who your friends are, when you last ate toast, what you are doing right this minute etc.

I have noticed the Government are now funding free local courses in how to use facebook. Why would the Government be intereted in promoting facebook which is a USA website? We have cuts left right and centre from the Government but they are funding free courses in how to use facebook. Something about that doesn't sit right with me.

over a year ago

"Facebook is a bad, bad thing. Consider the stunning amount of personal data the site collects, just by virtue of the things people post on it.

Many users willing pour their entire lives into it, play out their lives on it, post photos of every aspect of themsevles on it - and once Facebook has the information, they can pretty much do what they want with it.

Its like telling a complete stranger everything about you and giving him the family album to back it up.

I shudder to think where it is all going to end!"

is it really any different to twitter etc???????- isnt it more about being savvy with what information u put in????-or what parts u sign up to???

over a year ago

"facebook is a bag of shite."

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I'm not sure there is any other way to get this point across to people....

You are only giving away information about yourself on Facebook that you as an individual WANT TO.

There is no covert hypnotic inbuilt programme that prises this information out of Facebook users...they give this information out (OR NOT) freely.

Whatever happened to personal responsibilty when using the internet?, the way some people go on about Fscebook being some sort of internet Satan is pretty much laughable.

over a year ago

"Facebook is a bad, bad thing. Consider the stunning amount of personal data the site collects, just by virtue of the things people post on it.

I shudder to think where it is all going to end!

is it really any different to twitter etc???????- isnt it more about being savvy with what information u put in????-or what parts u sign up to???"

Twitter, Bebo, Myspace, Foursquare, Google Lattitdue - They are all just as bad.

What you say is very true - it is down to what you post on Facebook (et al) - problem is that soooo many people just pour out their lives on it with little or no thought - and to understand the perils and pitfalls.

But, in addtion to the need for people to be aware of it, I also think that Facebook themselves play fast and loose with privacy and with the data they hold.

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

It's not just facebook it can be any website!

Website collect information about all users for various purposes, good and bad!

The statistics include things like which website you came from , which website you exited to. So when you leave say Fab and go to the bank, they can see that, or even the other way round!!!!

Remember when your online you leave a big trail behind you, as long as you know that, you can be more careful.

over a year ago

sorta feel ppl are repeating my comments lol......

over a year ago

explain please

But thats just my take on it "

Pretty much all of those are down to the user rather than site.

BBM was widely acknowledged to be a bigger problem in the riots than Facebook.

Because families never ever fell out before facebook and likewise no one was ever bullied before it's existence.

As for sackings, again I guess people bring it on themselves if they are so stupid to talk about work on it.

Seems to me that FB is a convenient scapegoat for society's ills and and people's reluctance to take responsibility for their own shortcomings and mistakes.

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

explain please

But thats just my take on it

Pretty much all of those are down to the user rather than site.

BBM was widely acknowledged to be a bigger problem in the riots than Facebook.

Because families never ever fell out before facebook and likewise no one was ever bullied before it's existence.

As for sackings, again I guess people bring it on themselves if they are so stupid to talk about work on it.

Seems to me that FB is a convenient scapegoat for society's ills and and people's reluctance to take responsibility for their own shortcomings and mistakes."

You're probably right but all of these sites encourage a perverse form of vanity. It allows people to believe that they're at the center of some great network of people who know, care, depend, and admire you. When in fact the majority are complete strangers.

And the whole notion of collecting "friends" as if they were stamps or coins, further distances the individual from the reality of these unknown people with their own wishes and agendas. It provides contact, comfort, and gossip in a way which was once only obtainable "over the garden fence" but allows us to forget the possible consequences because there are no "checks" on the vast number of "friends" each person has.

The problem may not be the sites themselves but the problem exists nontheless.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

All this hatred of Facebook and it's ability to collect data, something the user has ultimate control over.

More insidious is the collection of data that is achieved by the loyalty cards used by millions! Tesco are a prime mover in this and when you think of their range… Firstly the main store operations! They know what you eat and even what appliances you use. They know what clothes you wear and if you smoke or not.

They know what fuel you buy and how much you use. They also have an insurance arm that can insure your car so they know make and model! That same insurance company can also insure your home, so they know the type of house you live in. Personal insurance? They use the food purchases to determine what lifestyle you lead and whether you have a low fat diet. The clothing you buy will tell them if you are overweight!

You can have a mobile too! That means they know where you are at any time of the day or night! It also means that when you insure your car through them, they can tell at what speeds you drive and in what areas. They also will be able to tell who your friends are and how often you call them. They can also see your payments to sites like Fab, made through mobile phone payments. It may say something innocuous as the recipient, but do you really think they don’t know who it is?

If you bank with them too? Well, they know what you earn, what you buy outside Tesco and if you are a paying member of any particular web site and paid through the bank. They will know every bill you pay and how much. Every meal you go for or concert you attend..

OK, perhaps they don’t use your information for any of these purposes (yeah, right!) but it is all readily available and possible with basic technology! I have chosen Tesco because they are reaching out into every area of our lives, but all loyalty cards are the same. So, how many of you will stop using Tesco Club Cards?

And you lot are worried about Facebook?

over a year ago

Store loyalty cards are tools by which the supermarkets can use the information to build a profile of each shopper.

For instance, if you buy alot of wine, or luxury food items, it usually indicates a high level of disposable income - couple that with their credit card services and imediately they can use the credit profiling system to build an accurate profile of you, the shopper, for marketing and information purposes.

over a year ago

So when u _iew using a private browser, how private is it??

over a year ago

"All this hatred of Facebook and it's ability to collect data, something the user has ultimate control over.

More insidious is the collection of data that is achieved by the loyalty cards used by millions! Tesco are a prime mover in this and when you think of their range… Firstly the main store operations! They know what you eat and even what appliances you use. They know what clothes you wear and if you smoke or not.

They know what fuel you buy and how much you use. They also have an insurance arm that can insure your car so they know make and model! That same insurance company can also insure your home, so they know the type of house you live in. Personal insurance? They use the food purchases to determine what lifestyle you lead and whether you have a low fat diet. The clothing you buy will tell them if you are overweight!

You can have a mobile too! That means they know where you are at any time of the day or night! It also means that when you insure your car through them, they can tell at what speeds you drive and in what areas. They also will be able to tell who your friends are and how often you call them. They can also see your payments to sites like Fab, made through mobile phone payments. It may say something innocuous as the recipient, but do you really think they don’t know who it is?

If you bank with them too? Well, they know what you earn, what you buy outside Tesco and if you are a paying member of any particular web site and paid through the bank. They will know every bill you pay and how much. Every meal you go for or concert you attend..

OK, perhaps they don’t use your information for any of these purposes (yeah, right!) but it is all readily available and possible with basic technology! I have chosen Tesco because they are reaching out into every area of our lives, but all loyalty cards are the same. So, how many of you will stop using Tesco Club Cards?

And you lot are worried about Facebook?

"

this is why we dont use them

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"this is why we dont use them"

Us too.. Although as I sad before, we do use Facebook to keep in contact with close family spread around the world. Difference is, we have very scant information on Facebook and keep it that way.

End of the day, each individual gets to choose what information WE put out there, but we have no control on the information that companies like Tesco collect and once your info is out there....

Post new Message to Thread