Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Modern British Culture ?

Jump to newest

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Okay Okay things change ......

BUT.... On the radio yesterday a firework display was being shouted out ...

It had...... wait for it .... a PIRATE theme ?

Doesn't bonfire night have a Guy Fawkes theme anymore ?

What's Nov. 5th remembered for if it's not gunpowder and treason ?

Pirate?.....

What else has lost it's meaning over the years?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

its seen by some of the pc right on brigade as sectarian i believe

pathetic

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

Christmas!!!!!!! goddam, we hear about it in September. Having no kids I can take it or leave it but FFS leave out the tunes until at least December

Scarlett

P.s everyone now does Halloween but can't remember the last time I saw a 'penny for the guy'

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

why can't we really celebrate the greatest warlord this country has ever had?

21st October should be a national holiday, but how many people know what this day celebrates .................. answer in 20 minutes if nobody gets it

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'd give more for the guy if it wasn't a football under a jumper....

They don't know what Guy means.

Come to think of it it was a penny in my day. Should be a pound now at least.

It's hard work sitting outside with a biro face on your best ball.

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 05/11/11 19:57:56]

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"why can't we really celebrate the greatest warlord this country has ever had?

21st October should be a national holiday, but how many people know what this day celebrates .................. answer in 20 minutes if nobody gets it "

I mean Nelson .... Sheesh ...

over a year ago

Duke of Clarence?

over a year ago

horwich

21st October should be a national holiday, but how many people know what this day celebrates .................. answer in 20 minutes if nobody gets it

I mean Nelson .... Sheesh ..."

Isn't this the way we won beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Duke of Clarence?"

Don't they produce make up ?

over a year ago

horwich

Isn't this the way we won beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw"

*** edit ** Isn't this when we beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Trafalgar ? Tra Fal Garrrrrrrrrrrrr ?

over a year ago

"Christmas!!!!!!! goddam, we hear about it in September. Having no kids I can take it or leave it but FFS leave out the tunes until at least December

Scarlett

P.s everyone now does Halloween but can't remember the last time I saw a 'penny for the guy'"

When I was working down is stoke area the other week, there were 2 kids outside a shop doing the penny for the guy thing.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Isn't this the way we won beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw

*** edit ** Isn't this when we beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw"

The Battle of Agincourt was the 25th October 1415

The Battle of Trafalgar was 21st October 1805

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

*** edit ** Isn't this when we beat the French at Agincourt. Which should be a national holiday btw

The Battle of Trafalgar was 21st October 1805"

Well you were there personally so you'd know.

FIVE

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

The Battle of Trafalgar was 21st October 1805

Well you were there personally so you'd know.

FIVE"

SIX

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Stop it ......

over a year ago

I've stood on the deck of HMS Victory in Portsmouth and there is a plaque saying 'Nelson Fell Here', then you go down all the way to the bottom of the hull and there is a painting depicting Nelson's death scene. Quite moving.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"Stop it ...... "

okay

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

I mean Nelson .... Sheesh ..."

yep - saved us from the clutches of the French and Spanish in one go as well as being the first real swinger lol

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Stop it ......

okay "

You've had those pants on for two years

over a year ago

"I've stood on the deck of HMS Victory in Portsmouth and there is a plaque saying 'Nelson Fell Here', then you go down all the way to the bottom of the hull and there is a painting depicting Nelson's death scene. Quite moving. "

He fell from the deck to the bottom? no wonder the poor bastard died!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"I've stood on the deck of HMS Victory in Portsmouth and there is a plaque saying 'Nelson Fell Here', then you go down all the way to the bottom of the hull and there is a painting depicting Nelson's death scene. Quite moving. "

I work(ed) within 100 yards of the Victory and walk past it just about every day, she does look strange at the moment though as all the top masts have been removed!

over a year ago

i find it ironic really , that we celebrate this . yes the meaning is lost , but is that not the same with christmas , new year ,easter etc etc its all about what can i get in todays culture . im guessing not a lot of folk are actually religious all year round yet they choose to clebrate a religious festival which by date is wrong also . but thats another story . as for guy fawkes night , there is an element of bigotry to it of course there is , historically speaking it had a lot to do with religion and nationality of the monarch . in a way shows we can come together even if half of us dont know why that is . personally id give the whole thing a miss too often we dwell on our past "achievements" as a nation when in my eyes we aint done anything worth a jot since the second world war . we all got our tv's and xboxes etc etc education is obviously slipping as half the kids cant spell or write and here we are celebrating the fact a man or a group failed to blow up a building full of rich twats with no compassion ,sympathy or understanding for the working class man on the street . so yeah have a god one .

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"Stop it ......

okay

You've had those pants on for two years"

Aye I know, but they are my favourite ones and they do get washed at least once a month whether they need it or not!

over a year ago

The quiet restained reserve at funerals...

Today ...its a cloying senimentality...inspired by Yanks who are friends of Disney and Oprah Winfrey...a smorgasbord of clapping and tears...and gaudy temples of ...bouqets adorned with " I will miss you Diana "...

Give me back the days..when you could find a telephone directory in a red telephone box...and people knew how to behave..

over a year ago

"I've stood on the deck of HMS Victory in Portsmouth and there is a plaque saying 'Nelson Fell Here', then you go down all the way to the bottom of the hull and there is a painting depicting Nelson's death scene. Quite moving.

He fell from the deck to the bottom? no wonder the poor bastard died!"

haha %*

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

try living in northern ireland and saying the 'c' word Culture its a hole new tin of worms lol

Forum Mod

over a year ago

yep - saved us from the clutches of the French and Spanish in one go as well as being the first real swinger lol"

Were you watching the same programme as Rob earlier,he said the same thing about him being a swinger

over a year ago

yep - saved us from the clutches of the French and Spanish in one go as well as being the first real swinger lol

Were you watching the same programme as Rob earlier,he said the same thing about him being a swinger "

He never actually said, "Kiss me Hardy." He didn't, he wasn't a poof.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Were you watching the same programme as Rob earlier,he said the same thing about him being a swinger

He never actually said, "Kiss me Hardy." He didn't, he wasn't a poof. "

No he said kiss me hardon!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

He never actually said, "Kiss me Hardy." He didn't, he wasn't a poof. "

alegedly Lady Hamilton's husband was fully aware of what was going on between the two of them. as for Kiss me Hardy there are several schools of thought two of which are

Nelson was an educated son of a vicar and said Kissmet Hardy the other is that in the early 19th Century men were much more liberal (swinging again?) with their affections for other men and it wouldn't have been unusual for two men to kiss.

Not my theories by the way but what I have been told be various Naval officers (minus the swinging bit of course lol)

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"Okay Okay things change ......

BUT.... On the radio yesterday a firework display was being shouted out ...

It had...... wait for it .... a PIRATE theme ?

Doesn't bonfire night have a Guy Fawkes theme anymore ?

What's Nov. 5th remembered for if it's not gunpowder and treason ?

Pirate?.....

What else has lost it's meaning over the years?"

Meh...bonfire night was co opted from the ancient halloween ritual of having fires...things evolve

over a year ago

hexham

He never actually said, "Kiss me Hardy." He didn't, he wasn't a poof.

alegedly Lady Hamilton's husband was fully aware of what was going on between the two of them. as for Kiss me Hardy there are several schools of thought two of which are

Nelson was an educated son of a vicar and said Kissmet Hardy the other is that in the early 19th Century men were much more liberal (swinging again?) with their affections for other men and it wouldn't have been unusual for two men to kiss.

Not my theories by the way but what I have been told be various Naval officers (minus the swinging bit of course lol)"

Oh lord hamilton was a cuck...no question about it

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/11/11 21:08:02]

over a year ago

"Nelson was an educated son of a vicar and said Kissmet Hardy "

Kismet means Fate or Destiny in Turkish and Hindi-Urdu. If that's what Nelson actually said then it's an acceptance of his fate to Hardy as he lay dying.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

What else has lost it's meaning over the years?"

The pagan festival that preceded bonfire night.

Along came Guy Fawkes, and the established church rebranded the occasion as a celebration of the defeat of a Catholic plot.

Most festivals have their roots in pagan tradition. The churches over the years spun them into religious events.

over a year ago

"

Along came Guy Fawkes, and the established church rebranded the occasion as a celebration of the defeat of a Catholic plot.

Most festivals have their roots in pagan tradition. The churches over the years spun them into religious events.

"

spot on with the churches, then came the temple of tescos...

over a year ago

"

"

History records it somewhat different. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life in 1604, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure. It was much later that religion involved itself - even though Guy Fawkes and his co-conspiritors were committed to replacing the Protestant James 1 and replacing him with a Catholic king.

over a year ago

"

History records it somewhat different. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life in 1604, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure. It was much later that religion involved itself - even though Guy Fawkes and his co-conspiritors were committed to replacing the Protestant James 1 and replacing him with a Catholic king. "

excellent - nowadays we would just give the enemy some toffee apples or maybe go down the american route and get all dressed up and with a few fireworks thrown in - all sponsored locally by Mr asda and Mr tescos, mr mcdonald etc...

over a year ago

"

What else has lost it's meaning over the years? "

Easter

Christmas

Saints days

.......basically any public holiday....

over a year ago

you knew when it was easter or xmas in the UK - the shops were shut for a WEEK and now they are shut for ONE DAY !!

you go into tescos etc - its like - quick buy everything !! six loafs of bread 4 bags of sugar and 20 tins of heroes,quality street,roses, etc..

its getting mad out there - but - its only ONE DAY !! how much do we or can we eat on that one day ?? another american tradition is to fill your car up with petrol/fuel on xmas eve.. aparantly 38 percent of usa - fill the car up on xmas eve !! thats more than the percentage of british people that actually live in britain now xxx

ok - nurse says its bed time - sorry

over a year ago

hexham

"

History records it somewhat different. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life in 1604, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure. It was much later that religion involved itself - even though Guy Fawkes and his co-conspiritors were committed to replacing the Protestant James 1 and replacing him with a Catholic king. "

And you really do believe the websites you google dont you

over a year ago

"

History records it somewhat different. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life in 1604, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure. It was much later that religion involved itself - even though Guy Fawkes and his co-conspiritors were committed to replacing the Protestant James 1 and replacing him with a Catholic king.

And you really do believe the websites you google dont you "

Tell me oh font of knowledge, oh walking encyclopedia brittanica who knows all things without ever referencing anything anywhere because you have it stored in your brain and can recall it without a moment's hesitation ... who won the Grand Prix San Marino, 1989?

over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

And you really do believe the websites you google dont you

Tell me oh font of knowledge, oh walking encyclopedia brittanica who knows all things without ever referencing anything anywhere because you have it stored in your brain and can recall it without a moment's hesitation ... who won the Grand Prix San Marino, 1989? "

How are you pronouncing Prix please ?

over a year ago

Yeah, I tripped over that bastard plaque as well, and I have 2 eyes, no wonder Nelson did !

Ben

over a year ago

Greatest Warlord...

Hmmm Nelson? I am sure Hood and Rodney might have a claim from a naval point of veiw, how about Drake and Raleigh?

Besides, can we call sailors Warlords? From Boudiccea to Arthur, Richard I and Edward II through Cromwell, Marlborough, Wellington, Churchill to Bill Slim and Montgomery there have been a lot of generals and leaders of men who could Qualify....

Besides, as a Catholic, I don't tend to appreciate celebration of persecution, which is what the celebration of the slaying of Guy Fawkes is all about.....Call it 'PC' if you like....

over a year ago

"I've stood on the deck of HMS Victory in Portsmouth and there is a plaque saying 'Nelson Fell Here', then you go down all the way to the bottom of the hull and there is a painting depicting Nelson's death scene. Quite moving.

Yeah, I tripped over that bastard plaque as well, and I have 2 eyes, no wonder Nelson did !

Ben"

over a year ago

"Greatest Warlord...

Hmmm Nelson? I am sure Hood and Rodney might have a claim from a naval point of veiw, how about Drake and Raleigh?

Besides, can we call sailors Warlords? From Boudiccea to Arthur, Richard I and Edward II through Cromwell, Marlborough, Wellington, Churchill to Bill Slim and Montgomery there have been a lot of generals and leaders of men who could Qualify....

Besides, as a Catholic, I don't tend to appreciate celebration of persecution, which is what the celebration of the slaying of Guy Fawkes is all about.....Call it 'PC' if you like...."

You have to look at it in context though. In 1604 the protestant King James 1 was overly conscious of the catholic desire to usurp him with a catholic king, and any attempt to unseat him had to be met with the most brutal of force. That was the way things were done in those days.

Modern day November 5th celebrations has evolved into a community celebration without much reference to gunpowder plots apart from satirical references to it in nursery rhymes (Remember, Remember, the 5th of November etc). As a protestant (by defualt as I'm not a catholic) Englishman, I do not identify with any sort of sectarian origins of Bonfire Night and my family and I simply enjoy it for the pyromaniacs we are.

(all my own words dontcha know, not a Wiki in sight)

over a year ago

"I'd give more for the guy if it wasn't a football under a jumper....

They don't know what Guy means.

Come to think of it it was a penny in my day. Should be a pound now at least.

It's hard work sitting outside with a biro face on your best ball. "

the whole idea was that you would get a penny if folks thought it was worth it. there used to be at least two or three groups of kids with guys round our corner shops so it was quite competitive. Wish me little bro wouda kept a bit more still tho.

over a year ago

funnily enough, there was traditionally a bonfire held dring the pagan ceremony to mark the end of summer light and the advent of winter's darkness which is now called "Halloween" after being overwritten by the church. This festival had a duration of several days so might well have been "bonfire night".

Post new Message to Thread