Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Grammar pedantry

Jump to newest

By *orningtonCroissant OP   Man
over a year ago

notts and humberside

So I get really turned off by poor grammar, text speak and phrases like ‘should of’ or been instead of being... even in messages and on profiles. I mY be displaying a level of pedantry that’s inappropriate for this site?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Someone will be scrutinizing your post, desperately looking for sweet irony!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The been instead of being thing used to bug me as well, I dated a guy from Hull and he used to do it ALL the time!

Reply privately

over a year ago

" Someone will be scrutinizing your post, desperately looking for sweet irony!!"

I couldn't be arsed to be that person today... but I am biting my tongue

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm dyslexic.

Grammar and spelling Nazis are my sworn enemies and I will destroy you all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sometimes people are just trying to reply as quick as possible on their phones.

Other times, yeah well, could do better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So I get really turned off by poor grammar, text speak and phrases like ‘should of’ or been instead of being... even in messages and on profiles. I mY be displaying a level of pedantry that’s inappropriate for this site?"

Might want to proof read before you start a thread like this!

All the best to you both X

Reply privately

By *randmrsminxyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

She can be arsed about the spelling police. If a fit lady sends you a message that says high let's meat . Sure your going to block her

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Men wanking are putting their attention on their strokes. Not grammar, when messaging you op.

Your last sentence is incorrect,displaying how easy errors are to make.

Is this also a reflection on declining standards of diction?

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"So I get really turned off by poor grammar, text speak and phrases like ‘should of’ or been instead of being... even in messages and on profiles. I mY be displaying a level of pedantry that’s inappropriate for this site?"

Gosh you have a lot if rules for judging people..... Brexit, spelling, grammar. Totally your prerogative I know but just my observation over the last few days.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"She can be arsed about the spelling police. If a fit lady sends you a message that says high let's meat . Sure your going to block her "

Steaks are high

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's a trap!

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

#irony......

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ahhhh, I nearly broke my jaw tehn!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Turns me right off. It's usually pretty obvious if someone is genuinely dyslexic or if English isn't their first language, or if they didn't get a decent education, and that's fine. It's the lazy kind of poor grammar that usually has me hitting the delete button. Call me a snob

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So I get really turned off by poor grammar, text speak and phrases like ‘should of’ or been instead of being... even in messages and on profiles. I mY be displaying a level of pedantry that’s inappropriate for this site?

Gosh you have a lot if rules for judging people..... Brexit, spelling, grammar. Totally your prerogative I know but just my observation over the last few days. "

Good place to start though. Who wants to meet a thick, illiterate, Brexit voter.

OP I get what you're saying, you don't have to be the brains of Britain but some people don't even have a basic grasp of the English language.

You can use it as a filter but it's tough enough already on here for single males, so maybe lower your standards in this instance

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm with you on this. It melts my brain trying to decipher some messages. Huge pet hate of mine. Burn them all!

Reply privately

By *outhbucksCouple
over a year ago

Great Missenden

Discreet v discrete is the one we notice.

There really is no excuse for errors and txt speak on profiles in our opinion.

A profile should be a considered and thought out piece of thinking and not something thrown together in a couple of minutes.

If someone can't be bothered to use a spelling and grammar checker on it then it just suggests that, maybe, they can't be bothered in other aspects of their lives.

All our kids have dyslexia to some degree so we know the challenges that presents to some but the tools are there so why not use them.

We cut some slack on emails and chat messages though, especially if you can tell the other party is using a mobile.

No doubt our pedantry means we miss out on meeting some wonderful people

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"So I get really turned off by poor grammar, text speak and phrases like ‘should of’ or been instead of being... even in messages and on profiles. I mY be displaying a level of pedantry that’s inappropriate for this site?

Gosh you have a lot if rules for judging people..... Brexit, spelling, grammar. Totally your prerogative I know but just my observation over the last few days.

Good place to start though. Who wants to meet a thick, illiterate, Brexit voter.

OP I get what you're saying, you don't have to be the brains of Britain but some people don't even have a basic grasp of the English language.

You can use it as a filter but it's tough enough already on here for single males, so maybe lower your standards in this instance "

But what if they suck like a dyson and fuck like a train?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

A profile should be a considered and thought out piece of thinking and not something thrown together in a couple of minutes.

"

'Thought out piece of writing' surely?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

Grammar and spelling Nazis are my sworn enemies and I will destroy you all."

Right there with ya bud i aint here to sit gcses again i get turned off by people having 6 nipples and saying moooo

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a trap!"

Reply privately

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

You can use it as a filter but it's tough enough already on here for single males, so maybe lower your standards in this instance "

Brexit? Of course that makes all the difference. Perhaps there should be a filter for it in the search parameters.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

Right there with ya bud i aint here to sit gcses again i get turned off by people having 6 nipples and saying moooo"

One day we shall rise and destroy our oppressors in a badly spelled and poorly punctuated rage. High on autocorrect, low on mercy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

"I'm dyslexic.

Right there with ya bud i aint here to sit gcses again i get turned off by people having 6 nipples and saying moooo"

Not into the hucow thing then?

Reply privately

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

I'm having cold sweats now. I swore I'd stay off grammar threads! Pills! Top Pocket! Ambulance!

Reply privately

By *outhbucksCouple
over a year ago

Great Missenden

I put writing initially but then you're typing it so it didn't sound right.

As I said, we cut some slack on messages

Reply privately

over a year ago

I blame the Russians

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

'Thought out piece of writing' surely? "

Obviously

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I put writing initially but then you're typing it so it didn't sound right.

As I said, we cut some slack on messages "

I'll forgive you, but I'll still have to report it to the ombudsman.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Had a two word message yesterday that was littered with spelling mistakes, yes Gary I talking about you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I use the grammar threads to filter out people and put a huge BLOCK on them.

Reply privately

By *ave-and-LouiseCouple
over a year ago

Torquay

Yup. Hate this. 'as' instead of 'has', 'yous', aaargh.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Poor spelling does annoy me (not necessarily poor grammar), but unless a message is unreadable then it’s just a mild irritation. Like someone said earlier, if a male model with an Adonis-like body sent me a message saying “high let’s meat”, I’m not going to turn him away am I

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

"Poor spelling does annoy me (not necessarily poor grammar), but unless a message is unreadable then it’s just a mild irritation. Like someone said earlier, if a male model with an Adonis-like body sent me a message saying “high let’s meat”, I’m not going to turn him away am I "

Yeah maybe.Although it may slightly annoy me even from a super model!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Poor spelling does annoy me (not necessarily poor grammar), but unless a message is unreadable then it’s just a mild irritation. Like someone said earlier, if a male model with an Adonis-like body sent me a message saying “high let’s meat”, I’m not going to turn him away am I

Yeah maybe.Although it may slightly annoy me even from a super model!"

Well when I’m bouncing on top of him he’s not going to have a pen and paper to hand, is he I can’t see it bothering me all that much

Reply privately

over a year ago

The jury's out on this one. If communication is the goal and some one gets their point across, surely the objective has been achieved?

On the other hand, someone demanding to meet a well educated, intelligent and professional individual but is not able to spell any of those words correctly may pose a problem.

Horses for courses I suppose. If I want to ride with a penchant for speed, should I really care if the horse can't read a STOP sign when I'm holding the reins?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I use the grammar threads to filter out people and put a huge BLOCK on them. "

As opposed to a small block?

Reply privately

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Poor grammar, political (Brexit) views - OP you are slowly going alienate a good percentage of fab lol

Reply privately

By *randmrsminxyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I use the grammar threads to filter out people and put a huge BLOCK on them.

As opposed to a small block? "

How do you know he has a small block

Reply privately

over a year ago

Proof reading before posting is useful, but we're not here to sit GCSE English so why should anyone even really care?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some very intellectual people do not always write perfectly.

Reply privately

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Oops ....

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"Discreet v discrete is the one we notice.

If someone can't be bothered to use a spelling and grammar checker on it then it just suggests that, maybe, they can't be bothered in other aspects of their lives.

All our kids have dyslexia to some degree so we know the challenges that presents to some but the tools are there so why not use them.

We cut some slack on emails and chat messages though, especially if you can tell the other party is using a mobile.

"

Lolling at "really no excuse for txt speak"

Reply privately

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Proof reading before posting is useful, but we're not here to sit GCSE English so why should anyone even really care? "

Haha ...I get all my meets to do a written test and then an oral

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I use the grammar threads to filter out people and put a huge BLOCK on them. "

Is this facility only available to site supporters?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Proof reading before posting is useful, but we're not here to sit GCSE English so why should anyone even really care?

Haha ...I get all my meets to do a written test and then an oral "

I've always hated sitting exams but oral with you could well change my mind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Proof reading before posting is useful, but we're not here to sit GCSE English so why should anyone even really care? "

But that's one of my favourite rp scenarios

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Lolling at "really no excuse for txt speak""

LOL.

PMSL.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some very intellectual people do not always write perfectly. "

Indobitabl...

Endubitabl...

Indubetabl...

Aye.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But that's one of my favourite rp scenarios "

If the examiner was sexily wearing glasses, a thin white blouse, tight pencil skirt and stockings and heels i could be persuaded.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some very intellectual people do not always write perfectly.

Indobitabl...

Endubitabl...

Indubetabl...

Aye."

Without doubt.

Reply privately

By *is_Collared_SubWoman
over a year ago

London

Well written messages are a turn on

Reply privately

over a year ago

U do what makes U feel BeTtEr. Me loves U op urs lovely

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"

LOL.

PMSL. "

As I said earlier, #irony

Reply privately

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

You made a mistake

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it should be "txt spk" ; - )

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

"I think it should be "txt spk" ; - ) "

Defnyly

Reply privately

over a year ago

You will soon learn not to give a rats ass

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it should be "txt spk" ; - )

Defnyly"

Deffo, surely.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/05/18 15:24:37]

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I think it should be "txt spk" ; - ) "

Obvs.....

Duhhh.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s a turn off for me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

"It’s a turn off for me. "

Chuffed that this has exorcised so many of you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s a condition known as Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome apparently. (Google it!)

So theirs a name for them type of peeps who ‘need’ to correct people, and it’s recognised as something close to a compulsive disorder.

I just think someone is being a prick when they do it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s a condition known as Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome apparently. (Google it!)

So theirs a name for them type of peeps who ‘need’ to correct people, and it’s recognised as something close to a compulsive disorder.

"

‘there is’

Kind regards X

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s a condition known as Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome apparently. (Google it!)

‘there is’

Kind regards X"

. There’s always one...........enough said

Reply privately

over a year ago

‘there is’

Kind regards X

. There’s always one...........enough said "

‘enuff’

Kind regards to you both X

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can have whatever choices you like. You're not obliged to fuck people if you don't want to.

Reply privately

By *traight up guyMan
over a year ago

Morpeth

Lolling at "really no excuse for txt speak""

Also lolling at a question without a question mark and a sentence without a full stop.

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

You can have whatever choices you like. You're not obliged to fuck people if you don't want to. "

Really? That's a "thing"

Ooops.

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Also lolling at a question without a question mark and a sentence without a full stop. "

I LOVE "I hate bad grammar" threads.

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Also lolling at a question without a question mark and a sentence without a full stop.

I LOVE "I hate bad grammar" threads. "

Me too. Or do I mean me to? Or two?

Reply privately

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)
over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

If I can understand the message and it doesn't contain text speech, ok.

But some messages are total nonsense, they may as well be in hieroglyphics.

Reply privately

By *lymanMan
over a year ago

PLYMOUTH

Are you seeking a sex partner? ..or

A scrabble partner ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Are you seeking a sex partner? ..or

A scrabble partner ?

"

Both!

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Use it as a filter op. I use it as a filter when people go on about spelling

Reply privately

By *ex on fire500Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

For us dixlexic its hard enuf with out worring about grammA sorry if afends any ine

Reply privately

over a year ago

I look at it and I desperately want to correct it, but I do it in my head instead. I’d never tell anyone on social media/forum, but I have pulled people up at work where the level of professionalism expects perfect grammar.

*re-reads this post a million times before posting to check for grammatical errors...

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are all different here. I am .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmmm English is my fourth language and I learnt it from the street so I don't know proper English grammar yet managed to get a first class degree... try talk to people face to face less grammar or spelling mistakes

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Clearly hit a nerve. Excellent!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wouldn't bother "correcting" any grammar in here but the "would of" /"could of" thing does grind my gears! x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sniec we cna udnrestnda evne teh msto proloy wirtetn snetncsee I dnto hvea a pbromel

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sniec we cna udnrestnda evne teh msto proloy wirtetn snetncsee I dnto hvea a pbromel"

Should I be worried that I read that easily

Mrs x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sniec we cna udnrestnda evne teh msto proloy wirtetn snetncsee I dnto hvea a pbromel

Mrs x"

Only if you think poor spelling is a problem

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Poor spelling does annoy me (not necessarily poor grammar), but unless a message is unreadable then it’s just a mild irritation. Like someone said earlier, if a male model with an Adonis-like body sent me a message saying “high let’s meat”, I’m not going to turn him away am I "

I would. Doesn’t matter how good looking someone is, I would be turned off.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sniec we cna udnrestnda evne teh msto proloy wirtetn snetncsee I dnto hvea a pbromel

Mrs x

Only if you think poor spelling is a problem"

If spellchecker didn't exist on phones I'd be fooked!!!!

Mrs x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mrs x

Only if you think poor spelling is a problem

If spellchecker didn't exist on phones I'd be fooked!!!!

Mrs x"

I blame auto-carrot for all my errors

Reply privately

over a year ago

The last time I cared that someone corrected my grammar or spelling, I was in school. And I thought the teacher was a Dick.

Take what will from my post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I feel for those with dyslexia being judged. For me there is no excuse, I’m just pretty shit with grammar. But am I bovvered?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The last time I cared that someone corrected my grammar or spelling, I was in school. And I thought the teacher was a Dick.

Take what will from my post. "

Damn those teachers trying to educate kids!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The last time I cared that someone corrected my grammar or spelling, I was in school. And I thought the teacher was a Dick.

Take what will from my post.

Damn those teachers trying to educate kids!"

So we can blame the teachers for our shite grammar on a swinging website. Problem solved.

Reply privately

By *oastal1968Man
over a year ago

London

"Turns me right off. It's usually pretty obvious if someone is genuinely dyslexic or if English isn't their first language, or if they didn't get a decent education, and that's fine. It's the lazy kind of poor grammar that usually has me hitting the delete button. Call me a snob "

100% agree. Can't we have an entrance exam to get on Fab in the first place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I simply find it funny as fuck when someone starts one of these threads without proof reading their own writings.

Reply privately

By *oastal1968Man
over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 05/06/18 08:32:01]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Totally agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

The complex houses married and single people and their families.

Perfect grammar but hard to understand.

Reply privately

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"I'm dyslexic.

I'll join you

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've just received a message with "your" instead of "you're". I didn't really like the guy anyway so he didn't get a reply

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

You mY be?! What's the thing about stoned and glass houses?!

Reply privately

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

Right there with ya bud i aint here to sit gcses again i get turned off by people having 6 nipples and saying moooo

One day we shall rise and destroy our oppressors in a badly spelled and poorly punctuated rage. High on autocorrect, low on mercy.

"

Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I really hope my username winds those up that take spelling so seriously. Because the truth is, I spelt it wrong.

MisterBee.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I really hope my username winds those up that take spelling so seriously. Because the truth is, I spelt it wrong.

MisterBee. "

Actually, look up mistr on urban dictionary

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I really hope my username winds those up that take spelling so seriously. Because the truth is, I spelt it wrong.

MisterBee.

Actually, look up mistr on urban dictionary "

Hahaha. I just looked. Quite fitting in a swinging website.

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

How about starting a post with 'So'...just saying'...innit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tricky - predictive text means that occasionally mistakes are made.

Grammatical and spelling mistakes can just be down to laziness and let's be honest, who wants a lazy lover?

If it is down to level of education, it is a bit harsh to rule someone out simply because they don't know any better. That person may well suit your needs in every other aspect.

I do believe that the English language is dying through modern technology - that is a travesty as it can be such a beautiful language.

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

You mY be?! What's the thing about stoned and glass houses?! "

Good spot!

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Just had a pet hate of mine put in my mind. 'Lets go London' economy of language is one thing, however missing out 'to'? Really?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Just had a pet hate of mine put in my mind. 'Lets go London' economy of language is one thing, however missing out 'to'? Really?"

Maybe they are cheering on London. Although wouldn't that be let's go, London!

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

New activity? I go London, you go London, we go london, he go London, she go London, seems I am getting the hang of this.

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

The underlying issue can be traced back to how people talk.

It's something I learnt from an English teacher when at school.

People, regardless of their geographical location and accent, can begin to iron out words and in time, spell it the way they say it!

Thus a word such as 'being' with 2 syllables of 'be' & 'ing' gets moulded in speech to 'been' and thus people interpret the spelling as the same.

The list of other possibilities is endless.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The man that is credited with introducing so many new words and phrases to the English language, is generally believed to have just made them up!

He manipulated words and, tweaked and twisted the grammatical rules and options available to him in his time!

Language is organic and, even though today it is more standardised than it has ever been, it is still evolving. Txt speak, slang, street language all contribute to this, as does geographic location.

Shakspere didn't always even spell his own name the same way.

The spelling of William Shakespeare's name has varied over time. It was not consistently spelled any single way during his lifetime, in manuscript or in printed form. After his death the name was spelled variously by editors of his work, and the spelling was not fixed until well into the 20th century.

The standard spelling of the surname as "Shakespeare" was the most common published form in Shakespeare's lifetime, but it was not one used in his own handwritten signatures.

On his memorial plaque his name is spelt "Shakspeare", next to this, on his wife's tomb, it is spelt "Shakespeare".

If it's legable, I don't mind and, I certainly wouldn't use it as a way to judge anothers intelligence!

Even when we all use the same spelling for a word, i.e. scone...we can't agree on the pronunciation

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

I saw a sticker on a car:

I am Dyslexic of Borg

Resistance is Futile

Prepare to have your Ass Laminated

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is a Youtube channel called "College Humor"

Watch the video: "Grammar Naxi"

My favorite grammatical annoyance is people who say "I seen...".

It must be contagious because I hear this frequently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is a Youtube channel called "College Humor"

Watch the video: "Grammar Nazi"

It must be contagious because I hear this frequently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is a Youtube channel called "College Humor"

Watch the video: "Grammar Naxi"

It must be contagious because I hear this frequently. "

I can't believe that i misspelled Nazi.

Mea Maxima Culpa

What shall for penance?

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

I love that this post has exorcised so many articulate and eloquent members of our wonderful community!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is a Youtube channel called "College Humor"

Watch the video: "Grammar Nazi"

It must be contagious because I hear this frequently. "

Enjoyed the video

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Just breathing new life into my diatribe. And typos on my profile corrected lest I am hoisted by my own petard x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Erm ... testing

Reply privately

By *aturelover2016Man
over a year ago

London

Grandmar Pedantry - now she was a woman

Reply privately

over a year ago

The dictionary came about to unify spelling in the English language, itself a relatively newly evolved lunguage. Purpose - to avoid confusion at a time when people generally spelled things how the saw fit.

I learned all that from Black Adder, well makes a change from the Simpsons.

US citizens in certain parts spell more closely to people of 300 years ago....but that’s another story.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My fingers are too big for my phone

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My fingers are too big for my phone "

Yep sausage fingers is a serious affliction many of us suffer

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My fingers are too big for my phone "

My phone is a dick.

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Might want to proof read before you start a thread like this!

All the best to you both X"

" I mY" ?

Absolutely priceless

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Resurrecting this thread. It lives! Mwah ha ha

Reply privately

over a year ago

lol sorry put I am crap at all that …….

Reply privately

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"Mindfield" is a particular favourite of mine, oh and "should of / could of / would of "

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s really off putting.

I know that it isn’t the be all and end all, when you aren’t looking to marry someone. But my biggest turn on, is intelligence

Reply privately

over a year ago

A big turn off is a know it all ……….. Crap spelling don't come in to it for me. Rude nasty people are the turn off who know it all . But really know nothing.

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"Poor spelling does annoy me (not necessarily poor grammar), but unless a message is unreadable then it’s just a mild irritation. Like someone said earlier, if a male model with an Adonis-like body sent me a message saying “high let’s meat”, I’m not going to turn him away am I

I would. Doesn’t matter how good looking someone is, I would be turned off. "

You don't no how disappointmented I'm now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s really off putting.

I know that it isn’t the be all and end all, when you aren’t looking to marry someone. But my biggest turn on, is intelligence "

Agree with this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I get turned on by correct grammar

Reply privately

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"I get turned on by correct grammar "

I'm surprised you get turned on at all on this site.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get turned on by correct grammar

I'm surprised you get turned on at all on this site..... "

You’d be quite surprised.

Reply privately

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

You’d be quite surprised. "

I'm only going by what I read, or attempt to read in some cases, a lot seem to spell phonetically or is that just me?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm only going by what I read, or attempt to read in some cases, a lot seem to spell phonetically or is that just me? "

Some do. I do however get some very well written messages.

Reply privately

By *e ReviensWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

I'm only going by what I read, or attempt to read in some cases, a lot seem to spell phonetically or is that just me? "

The correct spelling and grammar totally does it for me, I even mention it in my profile. Unfortunately the gremlins in my phone take great delight in producing random typos to catch me out!

Reply privately

By *notherGirlTV/TS
over a year ago

Somewhere

Slightly aside, but related, this made me giggle yesterday even more than this thread.

Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Reply privately

By *esus H ChristMan
over a year ago

birmingham

"Slightly aside, but related, this made me giggle yesterday even more than this thread.

Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

The use of double negatives really annoys me! I have not got no time for it!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life's too short for pedantry.

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Thought I might kick this one off again!

Reply privately

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Thought I might kick this one off again!"

We'll done

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

"Thought I might kick this one off again!

We'll done "

Erm....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"U do what makes U feel BeTtEr. Me loves U op urs lovely "

This

Reply privately

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Without meaning to (I hope?), what you are subconsciously saying is that you don't like people that are less "well" educated than you -a kind of class snobbery based on a persons choice of phrase bad spelling or poor punctuation (many of which could be symptoms of other issues like dyslexia).

Reply privately

over a year ago

If someone sends me a message that is written well I'm far more likely to take notice. I get that this isn't a dating site but it can be difficult not to take it into consideration when reading messages and profiles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

I'm with you haha I am dyslexic too

Reply privately

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

I'm dyslexic to

I'll join you in your quest

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Without meaning to (I hope?), what you are subconsciously saying is that you don't like people that are less "well" educated than you -a kind of class snobbery based on a persons choice of phrase bad spelling or poor punctuation (many of which could be symptoms of other issues like dyslexia). "

This works if 'educated' people were perfect at spelling & expressing themselves, when clearly they are not. I understand you make that point with dyslexia & other issues, but I am not sure it is snobbery, I find the 'bumbling' speech of say..Boris & the Royals as off putting as missing' 'gs' in speech & text speak in messages, it is an indicator that we are not on the same wavelength & unlikely to hit it off in even a random encounter where I have a choice.

Reply privately

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

"I'm dyslexic.

I'm dyslexic to

I'll join you in your quest "

I too am dyslexic

However I am a fully paid up member of the grammar and spelling police.

If I can make make the effort I don’t see why others can’t.

Gentlemen it looks like it’s pistols at dawn...

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

This is a site is for people who spread sexual disease around, sleep around and end marriages.

The fact most on here can't spell isn't the major issue.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This is a site is for people who spread sexual disease around, sleep around and end marriages.

The fact most on here can't spell isn't the major issue. "

Is that right? Darn. I haven’t got any sexual diseases yet, I don’t sleep around and my marriage is still intact and I have ruined anyone else’s. Darn

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

"This is a site is for people who spread sexual disease around, sleep around and end marriages.

Is that right? Darn. I haven’t got any sexual diseases yet, I don’t sleep around and my marriage is still intact and I have ruined anyone else’s. Darn "

Your still very young. And your profile contradicts what you say in your last message? I'm guessing you wrote both?

If you sleep around with multiple partners whether they are local, or not, the chances of you catching something are greatly enhanced. Because the person you will be willing to 'play with' in your own words, will likely be sleeping around aswell. Therefore greatly enhancing their likliehood of getting an std.

Dressing it up and saying iys something else is fine, but it doesn't change the facts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is that right? Darn. I haven’t got any sexual diseases yet, I don’t sleep around and my marriage is still intact and I have ruined anyone else’s. Darn

Your still very young. And your profile contradicts what you say in your last message? I'm guessing you wrote both?

If you sleep around with multiple partners whether they are local, or not, the chances of you catching something are greatly enhanced. Because the person you will be willing to 'play with' in your own words, will likely be sleeping around aswell. Therefore greatly enhancing their likliehood of getting an std.

Dressing it up and saying iys something else is fine, but it doesn't change the facts.

"

I can't believe someone just wrote that on a casual sex site.

Reply privately

By *viatrixWoman
over a year ago

Redhill

I find that pedantry very attractive. Nothing to do with the abs in your profile pic. Oh no...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Reply privately

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

I can't believe someone just wrote that on a casual sex site. "

I can’t believe someone just mixed up their use of “your” on a pedantry thread

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I didn’t ask for my profile to me judged but ah well. No, I don’t slept about. I’ve slept with four men in my life (but yes, I’m still young. Plenty time to catch up!) and seeing as you read my profile, you’ll notice I’m currently not meeting - and haven’t been since about May time.

But even if I was sleeping around, this is the perfect site for it

But there are plenty other uses for this site, other than ruining marriages, getting STDs and sleeping around. I’m doing none of these, and still here

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

Love the ire this stirs up!

Reply privately

over a year ago

notts and humberside

I can’t believe someone just mixed up their use of “your” on a pedantry thread "

Great isn’t it? That’ll learn em! Haha

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

"

No,apparently not everyone is sleeping around. The lass here states she has never done that. So there is your answer.

At least I've been honest. Which will make me universally unpopular. Nobody wants that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No,apparently not everyone is sleeping around. The lass here states she has never done that. So there is your answer.

At least I've been honest. Which will make me universally unpopular. Nobody wants that."

But but but...I’m currently not sleeping around. Man, I wish I was healthy enough to do so! There are plenty of people on here who aren’t sleeping around

Reply privately

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic.

I'm dyslexic to

I'll join you in your quest

I too am dyslexic

However I am a fully paid up member of the grammar and spelling police.

If I can make make the effort I don’t see why others can’t.

Gentlemen it looks like it’s pistols at dawn...

"

Good job i no how to shoot then

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can be bothered by such trivial things. I accept that some people are not great at spelling or are dyslexic. As long as I can grasp what they are saying its OK, but sadly some people choose to be nasty about it in the posts.

Get a life I say!

Reply privately

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

I can’t believe someone just mixed up their use of “your” on a pedantry thread

Great isn’t it? That’ll teach them Haha"

Fixed You’re welcome

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

At least I've been honest. Which will make me universally unpopular. Nobody wants that.

But but but...I’m currently not sleeping around. Man, I wish I was healthy enough to do so! There are plenty of people on here who aren’t sleeping around "

I find that hard to believe. But I've been wrong before and will again no doubt.

As some other chap said above ... why would they be on a sex site if they are not? Or saying they are not sleeping around?

I think the vast majority do. And I'm sure it's a very enjoyable experience.

The children affected by broken homes nay not always agree. But who cares, as long as the adults are having fun.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But but but...I’m currently not sleeping around. Man, I wish I was healthy enough to do so! There are plenty of people on here who aren’t sleeping around

I find that hard to believe. But I've been wrong before and will again no doubt.

As some other chap said above ... why would they be on a sex site if they are not? Or saying they are not sleeping around?

The children affected by broken homes nay not always agree. But who cares, as long as the adults are having fun. "

You are being extremely judgemental

Not that it’s any of your business but me and my husband are struggling to have children, but have decided if we manage to have children, we will be having a long long break from the swinging scene. However, I will still be on fab for the forums.

Like I said before, you have read my profile. You will have read I’m not well and not meeting. This has been the case for about a year, and my last meet (with someone who I slept with quite frequently) was in May.

If you do not like people who sleep around, have children who they are growing up in broken homes (which I highly doubt they are, but if they are I doubt it’s because their parents are swingers) and don’t like STDs, don’t sleep with people who fit these criterias?

And yes, having sex outwith my marriage is a very enjoyable experience. And I’m sure most people on here enjoy sex, hence why they are on here. Although, some on here will not be meeting, and using the site for other reasons.

Reply privately

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"

As some other chap said above ... why would they be on a sex site if they are not? Or saying they are not sleeping around? "

I read and comment on car forums. It does not make me a mechanic or a motor engineer.

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

"

I read and comment on car forums. It does not make me a mechanic or a motor engineer. "

Does it make you a motor enthusiast? Or do you have absolutely no interest in cars?

I'm thinking you are an enthusiast.

Hence my point.

Reply privately

By *etLikeMan
over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"

I read and comment on car forums. It does not make me a mechanic or a motor engineer.

Does it make you a motor enthusiast? Or do you have absolutely no interest in cars?

Hence my point. "

Precisely the point. So by the same token, it’s reasonable to accept that there are those on a swinging site who do not have sex with others.

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

"

Hence my point.

Precisely the point. So by the same token, it’s reasonable to accept that there are those on a swinging site who do not have sex with others. "

In your car mag.

Do you get many that are not into cars at all? Maybe one, but that would be strange.

This is no different

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Hence my point.

Precisely the point. So by the same token, it’s reasonable to accept that there are those on a swinging site who do not have sex with others.

In your car mag.

Do you get many that are not into cars at all? Maybe one, but that would be strange.

This is no different "

You’ve ignored my post but that’s okay. But by that theory, you’re on here to ruin marriages, get STDs and sleep around?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve noticed of late that the habit of starting statements with the one word phrase, so, has become accepted common language.

I think in years to come some of the things we currently find abhorrent will be in everyday use. After all, Shakespeare made lots of words up.

Reply privately

By *eenasmustardMan
over a year ago

Castleford

The children affected by broken homes nay not always agree. But who cares, as long as the adults are having fun.

You are being extremely judgemental

Not that it’s any of your business but me and my husband are struggling to have children, but have decided if we manage to have children, we will be having a long long break from the swinging scene. However, I will still be on fab for the forums.

Like I said before, you have read my profile. You will have read I’m not well and not meeting. This has been the case for about a year, and my last meet (with someone who I slept with quite frequently) was in May.

If you do not like people who sleep around, have children who they are growing up in broken homes (which I highly doubt they are, but if they are I doubt it’s because their parents are swingers) and don’t like STDs, don’t sleep with people who fit these criterias?

And yes, having sex outwith my marriage is a very enjoyable experience. And I’m sure most people on here enjoy sex, hence why they are on here. Although, some on here will not be meeting, and using the site for other reasons. "

Really good points made. And I'm not saying I'm 100% correct. Just I may have a slightly different opinion. Most of things you have said, I've thought about and have slightly changed my initial thoughts.

Fyi ....I have now had 5 really abusive messages calling me every name under the sun due to having an opinion. Which to me says alot about the majority on here.

Not the minority like yourself.

I do appreciate your comments. And I'm sorry to hear you have been so poorly.

And yes, I admit I've been judgmental. I'll stick by that for the majority. But I can now see a minority also exist.

I'm off to go check the next set of abusive messages.

Reply privately