Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Too much info...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

... Is it just me or do people give too much information out on the internet?

Social network sites that people use, show family members' photos and personal details, people openly discuss family secrets, their families names and places they live etc.

Even on sites like this one that is aimed at adult past times, there are numerous people giving personal details away about family situations on their profile or in the forums.

On profiles they say they want discretion then mention how many kids they have got, areas they live in and photos with face pics and so on.

Or am I being slightly paranoid?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heekychezzaWoman
over a year ago

warrington

Maybe some people are quite happy for the world to know that they're swingers. Perhaps in their lives they are open about the lifestyle choice but want folks to be discrete about who they actually play with.

Personally I thought long and hard before I put face pics on my Fab profile but in the end I decided that the worst thing that could happen was that my mum and/or siblings found out....if that happens I'm prepared to stand my ground over the lifestyle choices I have made. Do I want that to happen - hell no....I would like people who know I swing to be discrete, but I am aware that any information I put on the internet runs the possibility of being made public.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

im very cagey about what i write about myself

cant use face book -- who gives a damn if

* blackberry was dropped in korma

* went to mcdonalds for tea

* got d*unk last night

* is doing the bloody ironing

* comments about the weather

over a year ago

its personnal choice how much info you provide my facebook page is quite bland i have 2 pics. i use my cats photo as my pic.

i want give info about my kids but i know people do. i dont think its a gd idea to have pics of your kids on here. my daughter found someone i know and she knows on google. their pics had been stollen from other sites.

over a year ago

Always use discretion on the internet.

As for personal stuff on here, yes people do share info about their children, their profession etc, but most give sketchy details.

And of course whatever is said on a forum could be untrue.

I think the risks are very high when you accommodate in your homes. Then you are letting a stranger into your home and who could gain access to personal information whilst there.

over a year ago

Yes a lot of people do give out too much info.

But so long as they are happy to live with the possible consequences that accompany living their lives on Facebook etc - so be it

Biger fool them really

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Hey! it's important to me to know when my niece's baby has filled it's nappy or that it has actualy slept through the night

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I've often thought that, too.

People publish things on the Internet that, in the old days, they wouldn't dreamed have sending to, say, their local newspaper.

over a year ago

I do not participate in social networking sites, as I find them too intrusive.

On the forums I regularly participate, I only give out information that I feel comfortable in giving out, and never any financial or very intimate information/details.

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Don't use Facebook or any other similar sites as we like our privacy and don't want everyone knowing our business. Same as we don't want to get back in contact with those we went to school with or used to work with. There was obviously a reason that we didn't make the effort to stay a touch in the first place.

On here we tend to be quite cagey and not give out many personal details. But we are quite private people in general until we really know someone.

over a year ago

We did get into the trap of face book for a short while but deleted our accounts about 6 month ago and got the time back to spend doing better things

Only sites we are registered on now is fabs and a bingo site

Yes though, far to much is shared on the net, It's my youngens doing it that worry me.

Tony

over a year ago

My youngest sister, after a very nasty break up with her husband, met a man via a dating site. Well, long story short she ended up pregnant by him and he disappeared. My sister is financially secure, but felt miffed he just abandoned her and his son - his only child.

He's never done contributed a bean, and she let it go...until she found him on Facebook. He was moaning about Auto Trader - how rubbish it was as he couldn't find a luxury car for his wife!!!

He's now been ordered to pay support for his son - backdated four years, plus explain to his wife about the mixed race child he didn't mention having.

If only he hadn't felt the need to share!

over a year ago

love it ......

By *r n mrs happy101Couple
over a year ago

telford,shropshire

morning, i just opened my eyes and first thing i thought is i better log in and tell everyone online!!! ,....my next task in to get naked and jump in the shower...i will log back in and let you all know how i got on in the shower....hehehe ...i dont over share never have

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"Maybe some people are quite happy for the world to know that they're swingers. Perhaps in their lives they are open about the lifestyle choice but want folks to be discrete about who they actually play with.

Personally I thought long and hard before I put face pics on my Fab profile but in the end I decided that the worst thing that could happen was that my mum and/or siblings found out....if that happens I'm prepared to stand my ground over the lifestyle choices I have made. Do I want that to happen - hell no....I would like people who know I swing to be discrete, but I am aware that any information I put on the internet runs the possibility of being made public."

Pretty much my view.i believe what i do is private,and that anyone who fond my pics would be here for the same things i am...and unlikely to start shouting it from the roof tops.

Keeping safe involves common sense more than anything,and an acceptance that no site is 100% safe.

Just like swinging itself it is about risk assessment,being aware of the risk yo are taking and any possible consequences.You can be pretty sure that some people havnt considered the risks at all,but there are others who have,and are simply happy with what they share.

over a year ago

The end of the day u put on these sites what you feel comfortable about and if u dont want ppl to find out don't put it on simple

over a year ago

Sassy- sorry to hear about your sister being abandoned with a baby and good on her for tracking the scoundrel down!

I read somewhere that thieves only need 3 pieces of information to steal your identify. I might have got this wrong but it's as basic as your full name, date of birth and place of birth.

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"im very cagey about what i write about myself

* got d*unk last night

"

I like your style.

over a year ago

hexham

"Sassy- sorry to hear about your sister being abandoned with a baby and good on her for tracking the scoundrel down!

I read somewhere that thieves only need 3 pieces of information to steal your identify. I might have got this wrong but it's as basic as your full name, date of birth and place of birth."

Surely they need the fourth letter of yor mothers maiden name too

It is actually quite worrying the number of people who worry about internet security,then just chck bank and credit card statements in the recycling bin

over a year ago

If I recall correctly I think once the thief has got those 3 pieces of info they can send off for a duplicate birth certificate and that will have mothers maiden name etc. I remember thinking it was scary stuff!

over a year ago

hexham

"If I recall correctly I think once the thief has got those 3 pieces of info they can send off for a duplicate birth certificate and that will have mothers maiden name etc. I remember thinking it was scary stuff!"

like Carlos the Jackal.

over a year ago

Have a look around on this site through the forum posts and profiles and you will see photos with the family portraits, kids and family members in the background clearly visible, the forum posts contain family members names and locations near them or places they visit.

Its easy to slip up, we all do it but some low life out there will be getting the info they need.

We are cautious due to having a couple of experiences where information was gathered from one photo! Too much info in one picture, so it pays to be very careful.

By *r n mrs happy101Couple
over a year ago

telford,shropshire

its best to crop and cut photos so nothing is shown in background that can give information out.

By *ickens CiderMan
over a year ago

taunton

"If I recall correctly I think once the thief has got those 3 pieces of info they can send off for a duplicate birth certificate and that will have mothers maiden name etc. I remember thinking it was scary stuff!"

All the more reason to never use your mothers maiden name for security password on credit cards or other accounts that ask for such... because its easy enough to research

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

"im very cagey about what i write about myself

* got d*unk last night

"

Are you stalking me on facebook

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"... Is it just me or do people give too much information out on the internet?

Social network sites that people use, show family members' photos and personal details, people openly discuss family secrets, their families names and places they live etc.

Even on sites like this one that is aimed at adult past times, there are numerous people giving personal details away about family situations on their profile or in the forums.

On profiles they say they want discretion then mention how many kids they have got, areas they live in and photos with face pics and so on.

Or am I being slightly paranoid? "

it all depends on what you mean by too much information.... as if that is a demeening thing...

yes there is a difference between somewhere like facebook and somewhere like here, and people always use that example as something derogatory...

this site may be as you deem "aimed at adult past times" but while you are on here it doesn't have to be sex sex sex all the time...

The great thing about this site is that for a lot of people here it is still a community.... and if people can help others I don't see why people would take an issue with that...

for example.. if I bring up the names "kitty and alfie"... it may not mean a lot to you, but it will mean a lot to others... the amount of support she got from everyone here made me so proud that for a lot of people this is much more than just a "site aimed at adults" they all rallied round in times and trouble and in times of need....

for example... my mum lost her battle with cancer 4 weeks ago yesterday, and some of the people that have helped me the most thru this time are some of the people here.. and I thank them all each and everyday for it...

I could give you other examples.... you can be as much in this community or as little as you want, I don't think it is fair or right to criticise people for doing so

we have seen relationships and marriages start here... we have also seen them end here...

births and deaths,

marriages and divorces,

people losing jobs and people getting new ones,

people finding new relationships and swanning off into the sunset and some staying here just for the community that we have made here

People losing weight and then helping others to lose theirs

people supporting each other in helping for different causes....

heck some of us even meet up at socials and gab and gas and share fun times.....

you make of it what you make of it...

so if you want to sit on the sidelines and give absolutely the bare minimum away then that is fine and good for you... be my guest!

but if you want to jump all to way in... you will always be welcomed with open arms..

over a year ago

"... Is it just me or do people give too much information out on the internet?

Or am I being slightly paranoid?

it all depends on what you mean by too much information.... as if that is a demeening thing...

yes there is a difference between somewhere like facebook and somewhere like here, and people always use that example as something derogatory...

this site may be as you deem "aimed at adult past times" but while you are on here it doesn't have to be sex sex sex all the time...

The great thing about this site is that for a lot of people here it is still a community.... and if people can help others I don't see why people would take an issue with that...

for example.. if I bring up the names "kitty and alfie"... it may not mean a lot to you, but it will mean a lot to others... the amount of support she got from everyone here made me so proud that for a lot of people this is much more than just a "site aimed at adults" they all rallied round in times and trouble and in times of need....

for example... my mum lost her battle with cancer 4 weeks ago yesterday, and some of the people that have helped me the most thru this time are some of the people here.. and I thank them all each and everyday for it...

I could give you other examples.... you can be as much in this community or as little as you want, I don't think it is fair or right to criticise people for doing so

we have seen relationships and marriages start here... we have also seen them end here...

births and deaths,

marriages and divorces,

people losing jobs and people getting new ones,

people finding new relationships and swanning off into the sunset and some staying here just for the community that we have made here

People losing weight and then helping others to lose theirs

people supporting each other in helping for different causes....

heck some of us even meet up at socials and gab and gas and share fun times.....

you make of it what you make of it...

so if you want to sit on the sidelines and give absolutely the bare minimum away then that is fine and good for you... be my guest!

but if you want to jump all to way in... you will always be welcomed with open arms.."

I totally agree with you, love it here and it is a great community.

Believe it or not, we aren't here for the sex.

I wasn't knocking anyone or the site, I was just sharing a thought.

I have read quite a few posts, profiles and seen pictures and was surprised in a way how many people divulge a lot of information through text or photos.

Lets face it, there are some evil,nasty people out there who wouldn't think twice about spreading malicious gossip or worse, actually go as far, as to find the people and places they go that they have mentioned.

You may think its far fetched, but just watch or read the news to see the lengths some people will go to, to stalk or whatever.

It pays to be careful.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

It never ceases to amaze me the kind of information people share on here...up to them i spose but definitely not my bag

Post new Message to Thread