Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Charity shop finds...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

When I split with my long term partner a couple of years ago I furnished my home mainly through charity shops. I found some great stuff and even though I'm short of nowt I've got I still find myself visiting every now and again. Yesterday I found a great floor lamp made of nickel and teak. I love it, Kelby says its alright (heathen lol)....so do you visit charity shops and if so what's the find you like the most?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I usually only go in for books so it'd be a book about the iceman Richard kuklinski.

over a year ago

"When I split with my long term partner a couple of years ago I furnished my home mainly through charity shops. I found some great stuff and even though I'm short of nowt I've got I still find myself visiting every now and again. Yesterday I found a great floor lamp made of nickel and teak. I love it, Kelby says its alright (heathen lol)....so do you visit charity shops and if so what's the find you like the most?"

Definitely, we donate all our clothes which the kids have grown out of or bad purchases and hubby and I both shop in them for outfits and furniture

Bought the most beautiful designer dresses recently. No way could I have been able to afford them new

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

A 1990s Samsonite hard plastic suitcase, £5. Always used to admire the ones in the window of the luggage shop in town but could never afford one. Always dreamed of owning one and a filofax (I was a bit of a weird kid). Now I am finally the proud owner of one, ideal for my travels.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I've got some lovely old china, lots of books, vintage haberdashery, furniture etc.

over a year ago

I bought some signed prints and a vintage handbag ... at bargain prices

over a year ago

I luv charity shops!!sometimes u feel u flew bck in time and digging for hidden treasure.

By *ooncat123Woman
over a year ago

Sutton

I'm often found in the corner sniffing old books. Heaven!

By *ooby birdWoman
over a year ago

North West

Love a rummage in a charity shop

over a year ago

Yep i love them!

I mainly check out the jewellery, but also look at the scarf section, childrens books/games and see if there is anything else that catches my eye.

In the furniture charity shops i have come away with a 3 drawer wooden bedside table for £5 (my biggest bargain), two large framed pictures, and i frequently see stuff that i’d happily buy if i had my own home.

over a year ago

I got a beautiful vintage sewing mahcine from a local charity shop. I read a lot so always pop in and look at the books too!

over a year ago

Bought a very six-20 Brownie camera (made in britain) for 3 quids!

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

i found a big plastic dog outside the rspca charity shop once... it was full of money ...a right result..

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I can't say I have been in any but an ex of mine used to just for thing that ripped well

By *layer oneMan
over a year ago

mirfield

Always looking for vintage Star Wars toys

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I think we are all of the same mind books, bric a brac, whatever takes our fancy. The only furniture I really bought new was my bed and mattress (I wanted those new) so is there anything you would not consider buying from a charity shop?

over a year ago

I'm constantly in them looking for Vinyl records .. had a few good finds for 99p ...

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I'm a huge fan of Irregular Choice shoes, have found 5 pairs in charity shops.

2 weren't even my size but I had to buy them as so pretty

over a year ago

" So is there anything you would not consider buying from a charity shop?"

Underwear

By *LT22Man
over a year ago

Teddington

The original single 'Light My Fire' by the Doors for £1.20p

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"The original single 'Light My Fire' by the Doors for £1.20p"

Bargain!

over a year ago

"The original single 'Light My Fire' by the Doors for £1.20p"

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

I’ve bought lots of books over the years including some wonderful 1920s architecture ideas books. I’ve also had some very good clothes. The best was a 1930s bespoke dinner jacket that my Philistine parents re-donated after I moved out.

over a year ago

I've got all the best labels I my man wardrobe for peanuts Ted Baker shirts ..one Pringle merino wool jumper which is still in Thier catalogue for £175 cost me al £2.50

over a year ago

Being a vinyl addict I tend to go and have a rummage. Can't look through many more max bygraves albums though

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

In the last six months I’ve become addicted to charity shops for CD’s & DVD’s, can’t walk past one now.

Yesterday I overheard andbolder guy telling the staff how he bought a painting in a cancer charity shop for £40 and sold it to an American collector for £68,000! Also claimed his wife made him give it all to the charity shop, didn’t even deduct his original £40.

What do you reckon?

over a year ago

"In the last six months I’ve become addicted to charity shops for CD’s & DVD’s, can’t walk past one now.

Yesterday I overheard andbolder guy telling the staff how he bought a painting in a cancer charity shop for £40 and sold it to an American collector for £68,000! Also claimed his wife made him give it all to the charity shop, didn’t even deduct his original £40.

What do you reckon?"

Should have halved the profits.. or donated the wife to the charity shop

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I've got all the best labels I my man wardrobe for peanuts Ted Baker shirts ..one Pringle merino wool jumper which is still in Thier catalogue for £175 cost me al £2.50 "

I wondered if I'd find you in here

I might have one or two things from charity shops

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

For a boyfriend I had not long met just before Christmas ... I bought an Italian design suede jacket still in its original packaging and box .... never been worn for £5.00 .

He was so impressed he showed it to all his family and friends ... ha ha .... If only he knew ....

over a year ago

"I've got all the best labels I my man wardrobe for peanuts Ted Baker shirts ..one Pringle merino wool jumper which is still in Thier catalogue for £175 cost me al £2.50

I might have one or two things from charity shops "

Once that tag is off and you have the things on.....no bugger knows where they came from

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I've got all the best labels I my man wardrobe for peanuts Ted Baker shirts ..one Pringle merino wool jumper which is still in Thier catalogue for £175 cost me al £2.50

Once that tag is off and you have the things on.....no bugger knows where they came from"

I won't tell 'em if you don't

over a year ago

Once that tag is off and you have the things on.....no bugger knows where they came from

I won't tell 'em if you don't "

Deal....oh feck

over a year ago

"I'm a huge fan of Irregular Choice shoes, have found 5 pairs in charity shops.

2 weren't even my size but I had to buy them as so pretty "

Oooh I thought I recognised You! I couldn't figure out where. You're on one of the IC groups! Hi . Dislike the shoes now. Fed up with them ripping my feet to bits even though I'm true to size in every other brand. Love their bags even though I'm trying to rehome my magic pony! .

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I love a nice charity shop, you have to pick your area lol! I love finding good quality leather goods that just need some TLC. Best buy was a £350 designer handbag for £8.50.

over a year ago

i love them...buy books and clothes mainly..ive just been in brighton for a week and came back with a 1930's wood and chrome tea/coffe set for £60...its beautiful, and ive seen them in antique shops for 3 times that..

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

Used to be a big fan of rummaging around and finding gold but doesn't seem as fun these days. Too much crap

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I’m a regular charity shop nerd! I’ve taught the grandchildren how to do it too and we have a charity shop day when they stay with me.

I have a huge list of amazing bargains including designer leather and suede coats and I will be wafting around Libs tonight in a cotton and silk blouse that cost me four quid. It’s over £100 brand new. The red bodycon dress I got for £12 has had many an outing at Libs too.

This new thing of colour matching everything and mixing up the sizes is driving me bonkers though.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Oooh I thought I recognised You! I couldn't figure out where. You're on one of the IC groups! Hi . Dislike the shoes now. Fed up with them ripping my feet to bits even though I'm true to size in every other brand. Love their bags even though I'm trying to rehome my magic pony! . "

IC shoes are gorgeous but their footbed is really bad, they don’t fit me at all.

We have a shop in Leicester that only sell IC and the window displays are pure fantasy.

over a year ago

Ave been given a lovely lamp from my local sally army shop.also found bargain clothes.found a pair of julien macdonald jeans for 3 quid at a charity shop,fearne cotton jacket for 2-50.henry holland jacket for a pound.a hello kitty watch for 1-50 the list goes on.

over a year ago

I was in a clothing store a few week ago trying on a jacket, I literally would ha e purchased it if it was maybe 30 quid cheaper than it was. But didn’t.

I popped into a charity shop that same hour, found the exact same jacket, label and price tag still on for £10. Everything was coming up MrBee that day.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Used to be a big fan of rummaging around and finding gold but doesn't seem as fun these days. Too much crap "

I agree that there's too much crap. In this area they seem to have started putting things out that would previously have been thrown away or sent for recycling. They also have summer and winter prices because it's a holiday destination.

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Got designer shoes, a handbag and a new dress with tags still on that I wore to a wedding. Have found some beautiful art, books, china, jewellery, bag's, shoes, and clothes. Love browsing in these places and flea markets.

over a year ago

"For a boyfriend I had not long met just before Christmas ... I bought an Italian design suede jacket still in its original packaging and box .... never been worn for £5.00 .

He was so impressed he showed it to all his family and friends ... ha ha .... If only he knew ....

"

By *s_bettyboopWoman
over a year ago

Yes I love the charity shop. I have a really good one on my road and found got some really good stuff. At the moment I can't stop buying handbags! Got some really good designer shirts and tops for the hubby still new as well.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Yes I love the charity shop. I have a really good one on my road and found got some really good stuff. At the moment I can't stop buying handbags! Got some really good designer shirts and tops for the hubby still new as well."

Oo handbags. I fancy a new one the one I'm currently using was 49p when one of our local shops had an everything 49p day

over a year ago

A box of comics and graphic novels I then sold on eBay.Kerching.££

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"Yes I love the charity shop. I have a really good one on my road and found got some really good stuff. At the moment I can't stop buying handbags! Got some really good designer shirts and tops for the hubby still new as well.

Oo handbags. I fancy a new one the one I'm currently using was 49p when one of our local shops had an everything 49p day "

I got a Michael Kors one for 3 euro's recently...happy day's

over a year ago

I used to like to finding second hand books with inscriptions in the front. I had a small collection a few years back.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Yes I love the charity shop. I have a really good one on my road and found got some really good stuff. At the moment I can't stop buying handbags! Got some really good designer shirts and tops for the hubby still new as well.

Oo handbags. I fancy a new one the one I'm currently using was 49p when one of our local shops had an everything 49p day

I got a Michael Kors one for 3 euro's recently...happy day's"

Lucky you, that's a good bargain!

By *pforfun1234562016Couple
over a year ago

leamington spa

A friend of mine bought a vase for £5 sold it at auction 2 years later and got £320 they donated £1oo to charity before anybody asks

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Oooh I thought I recognised You! I couldn't figure out where. You're on one of the IC groups! Hi . Dislike the shoes now. Fed up with them ripping my feet to bits even though I'm true to size in every other brand. Love their bags even though I'm trying to rehome my magic pony! . "

Oooooh hello IC sister xx

Yeah, I found I had to size up.. My Party Pants are the comfiest ones I own.

Couple of others I can only wear if I'll be sitting all night!

Oooh I was looking at the pony bag... I've got some birthday pennies to spend. If you're selling PM me xx

over a year ago

Bought lots of clothes from charity shops including all my leather stuff,best buy was a almost new full length black leather trench coat for £30. Also buy lots of cd's if I don't like them just give them back to charity shop. Have found several that are really good.

By *adame BWoman
over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"I used to like to finding second hand books with inscriptions in the front. I had a small collection a few years back. "

Awww any good one's. I will start writing philosophical inscriptions on my books before I donate them like spoiler alert, she dies

By *appytochatMan
over a year ago

Deep in the New Forest

Usually pop in for stuffed toys for the dog to shred. A lot cheaper than the pet stores

over a year ago

"Usually pop in for stuffed toys for the dog to shred. A lot cheaper than the pet stores"

Great tip! Thank You! I've now got 4 dogs. British bulldog Mum and her two daughters and a rescue staffie.

Being bull breeds, they love to destroy any stuffed toy. I spend too much.

I miss living your way. I moved from Ferndown to Kent. Dorset is beautiful and I do miss living there.

Love the suggestions on this thread. Totally didn't even think about charity shop for books. I spend alot even in Asda on new books, then give them away after I've read them twice each.

Thanks guys! . X

By *aeganaWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

Where my mom seems to find all her designer handbags lol last onea were pauls boutique and jackie and celine for a few quid each looked online and they were a couple hundred each so bargain.

over a year ago

Got a lovely blue butt plug in one of the local ones near us.

Looks like it’s only been worn a few times

over a year ago

"Got a lovely blue butt plug in one of the local ones near us.

Looks like it’s only been worn a few times "

By *un4meanduMan
over a year ago

STOTFOLD

On the pet subject I buy blankets and towels for the dogs n cats I work with, have a regular arrangement they save them up and I pay the same per blanket great for when they rip them up .

over a year ago

My favourite Quicksilver hoody is from a Thrift Store in Colorado and it cost $1.50!

We always try and find a charity shop when we're abroad, I enjoy looking at foreign people's castoffs

over a year ago

I did a 70s themed party a few years ago. I got a cracking tan leather jacket from that era from one for about £20. I have to say it was the talk of the kitchen

By *LEX DUMASMan
over a year ago

WALSALL .butts near Arboretum

I found a mobile phone inside a toilet in a charity shop

By *ilthyStrumpetCouple
over a year ago

Trowbridge

I love charity shops!

There's about 10 or so in my little town and I'm always hunting through them for bargains!

Picked up some awesome finds over the years! Loads of designer goods!

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Did it work after being in the toilet ??

over a year ago

Addicted to them .

over a year ago

My technics separates hifi classic one.

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

My 1st Hawaiian shirt

over a year ago

I go in them all the time. My favourite purchases this year are too brand new Lindy Bop dresses that were very cheap. Previously I have bought some Basques and once I got an Anne Summers PVC naughty dress XXX

I love charity shops

X

over a year ago

i bought a unopened bloodstained parachute. only used once . Bargain

over a year ago

"Being a vinyl addict I tend to go and have a rummage. Can't look through many more max bygraves albums though "

And Des O'Conner

over a year ago

Just picked up a rather nice comfy chair for £35 for my bedroom. At this rate my bedroom is going to be more of a living room for me than my actual living room

Rummaged through all the vinyl in all the charity shops in Rochester. Nothing doing.

Mr B

over a year ago

A lovely Miu Miu shirt and a nice John Smedley jumper, for around a fiver each, plus a fair few CDs and paperbacks.

Also like to buy the ugliest, most random ornament I can to present to friends as a gift if invited to a party for a special occasion

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We were at the tip last week and I was shocked to see the number of dvds they had in the sales bit. If people can be bothered to take them to the tip they could take them to the charity shop.

over a year ago

I got a current Garmin satnav for £10!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

In my local one they have a Tuk tuk made into a mini bar.

A bit pricey but looks funky.

over a year ago

"I go in them all the time. My favourite purchases this year are too brand new Lindy Bop dresses that were very cheap. Previously I have bought some Basques and once I got an Anne Summers PVC naughty dress XXX

I love charity shops

X"

Which charity shops do you go to?!!

over a year ago

Visual Basic 6 Professional Edition - £5

over a year ago

Books

Ladies shoes bags etc.

I have 5 within a five minute walk of each other so call in a lot.

I got a lovely black lace and satin blouse for £2 because the satin belt was lost. And they were still selling them in M&S for £58 a year ago.

Post new Message to Thread