Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

In other news...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

....I just purchased a new lawnmower, arrives tomorrow. And more potting compost.

I’m going to throw myself into gardening to mend my soul.

What should I put in my lovely wooden planter/window boxes in the next week or so? Inspire me, please.

(I’ve got three ideas already but can’t decide so I’m going to see if anyone suggests one of them and take it as serendipity or see if anyone gives me an even better idea!)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fuchsias

over a year ago

Come on, not even a “I’ll fill your box with...” comment?!

I need entertainment people, I’m nursing a broken heart and a bruised ego, for shame.

over a year ago

Cucumbers.

Then you can save batteries!

over a year ago

You know it's going to rain in like an hour, right?

In my window boxes I have little hebe because they have ace colour all year round. Plant pot gnomes. Then around them whatever flowery plants look most lively when I go to the shops. Bushy and colourful.

over a year ago

"Come on, not even a “I’ll fill your box with...” comment?!

I need entertainment people, I’m nursing a broken heart and a bruised ego, for shame. "

over a year ago

"Fuchsias"

Aha! Thank you for responding!

These remind me of being a kid, the people down the road had a big fuchsia bush and I liked popping the buds open!

over a year ago

"Cucumbers.

Then you can save batteries! "

Waaaahhh!!!

over a year ago

Dwarf magnolias .. beautiful flowers

over a year ago

"You know it's going to rain in like an hour, right?

In my window boxes I have little hebe because they have ace colour all year round. Plant pot gnomes. Then around them whatever flowery plants look most lively when I go to the shops. Bushy and colourful. "

It’s already raining in my heart! Yeah I know, I’m prepping and readying equipment and have a big A3 sketchbook for designing. It’s lazy efforts currently so rain won’t spoil play.

Your box sounds ace.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Oooo, wild country/meadow flowers to attract bees and butterflies and then they will look beautiful and be good for nature. So lavender, purple emperor, phlox, foxgloves, lochinch, hyacinths etc. I've been tackling the garden stuff today - it's very exciting! I'm doing a sort of sensory cottage garden.

over a year ago

I need entertainment people, I’m nursing a broken heart and a bruised ego, for shame.

"

Quite!

over a year ago

"Dwarf magnolias .. beautiful flowers"

Oooooh I’m going to investigate, thank you!

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

Night scented stock for your window boxes.

over a year ago

"Oooo, wild country/meadow flowers to attract bees and butterflies and then they will look beautiful and be good for nature. So lavender, purple emperor, phlox, foxgloves, lochinch, hyacinths etc. I've been tackling the garden stuff today - it's very exciting! I'm doing a sort of sensory cottage garden. "

You just named two on my list!! Hahaha! Oh photos when yours is finished please, it sounds beautiful. That reminds me I need to make sure I don’t miss the open garden season this year. I love having a nosy around.

over a year ago

I need entertainment people, I’m nursing a broken heart and a bruised ego, for shame. "

Ffs patience woman! I'd gone in for my 8th lolly while I was thinking of my reply... Getting sunburnt is thirsty work.

over a year ago

"Night scented stock for your window boxes. "

That is a lovely idea!

over a year ago

Ffs patience woman! I'd gone in for my 8th lolly while I was thinking of my reply... Getting sunburnt is thirsty work. "

I know! But it was a whole ten minutes and you know how quickly my mind races!! I’m on operation massive distraction.

over a year ago

Pampas grass

over a year ago

"Pampas grass "

And yet, I can’t stand it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Lavender is a favourite of mine coupled with something that will trail to soften the edges a bit.

You could have a herb pot, thyme, basil, some dill maybe. Lettuce and tiny tomato plants too.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Things that smell nice, taste nice, look nice. Rosemary, French lavender, chives, those really tiny strawberries, lemon thyme. That kind of thing.

over a year ago

"Lavender is a favourite of mine coupled with something that will trail to soften the edges a bit.

You could have a herb pot, thyme, basil, some dill maybe. Lettuce and tiny tomato plants too."

Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue.

over a year ago

Ffs patience woman! I'd gone in for my 8th lolly while I was thinking of my reply... Getting sunburnt is thirsty work.

I know! But it was a whole ten minutes and you know how quickly my mind races!! I’m on operation massive distraction. "

Hope it works.

Investigate watering systems. I forgot to mention that my box is very dry.

over a year ago

"Things that smell nice, taste nice, look nice. Rosemary, French lavender, chives, those really tiny strawberries, lemon thyme. That kind of thing."

Oh I love lemon thyme! Great shout!

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"Lavender is a favourite of mine coupled with something that will trail to soften the edges a bit.

You could have a herb pot, thyme, basil, some dill maybe. Lettuce and tiny tomato plants too.

Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue. "

Lobelia?

over a year ago

"Things that smell nice, taste nice, look nice. Rosemary, French lavender, chives, those really tiny strawberries, lemon thyme. That kind of thing."

Those tiny strawberries are like s.

They cover the front path of my house in the summer.

Trailing lobelia.

over a year ago

I know! But it was a whole ten minutes and you know how quickly my mind races!! I’m on operation massive distraction.

Hope it works.

Investigate watering systems. I forgot to mention that my box is very dry.

"

Now you make a good point there. Although I find it rather therapeutic doing early morning and early evening watering. And I’ve been harbouring a coil hose in my bedroom for a while now that’s finally out and about.

I wish your box moisture soon.

over a year ago

Lobelia - excellent call, that’s spot on!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

I plant redwoods in my garden. Just so that in 300 years time someone will say " Which cunt planted that here!?".

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue. "

You're too early for most plants, lobelia etc isn't hardy. Aubretia is, you might find some in the nurseries.

over a year ago

I have dandelions and a mini strawberry flower already.

over a year ago

"I plant redwoods in my garden. Just so that in 300 years time someone will say " Which cunt planted that here!?"."

You scamp!

over a year ago

Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue.

You're too early for most plants, lobelia etc isn't hardy. Aubretia is, you might find some in the nurseries. "

You’re far more knowledgeable than I! This is kinda the plan, find the aesthetics and scents I’d like and then work out which would be displays for when. Thanks, I’ll have a look at Aubretia.

over a year ago

"I have dandelions and a mini strawberry flower already. "

Oh! So you have!

I’ve currently got a sweep of bluebells under the grapevine at the back of the garden!

over a year ago

Nasturtiums. Violas. Lots of fuschia.

You can eat them.

over a year ago

"Nasturtiums. Violas. Lots of fuschia.

You can eat them. "

I did nasturtiums a different year because I wanted to use them in cooking, but they got nasty little flies on them. It rather put me off ever trying them again.

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"....I just purchased a new lawnmower, arrives tomorrow. And more potting compost.

What should I put in my lovely wooden planter/window boxes in the next week or so? Inspire me, please.

(I’ve got three ideas already but can’t decide so I’m going to see if anyone suggests one of them and take it as serendipity or see if anyone gives me an even better idea!)"

Just plant what ever you want, I'll pop round in a couple of weeks to trim your bush..

over a year ago

"....I just purchased a new lawnmower, arrives tomorrow. And more potting compost.

(I’ve got three ideas already but can’t decide so I’m going to see if anyone suggests one of them and take it as serendipity or see if anyone gives me an even better idea!)

Just plant what ever you want, I'll pop round in a couple of weeks to trim your bush.. "

Hoe hoe hoe

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You're too early for most plants, lobelia etc isn't hardy. Aubretia is, you might find some in the nurseries.

You’re far more knowledgeable than I! This is kinda the plan, find the aesthetics and scents I’d like and then work out which would be displays for when. Thanks, I’ll have a look at Aubretia. "

You've probably seen it spilling over walls. It's blue usually.

If you want something that will thrive now get some pansies and some ivy and intersperse with coloured primroses.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You can eat them.

I did nasturtiums a different year because I wanted to use them in cooking, but they got nasty little flies on them. It rather put me off ever trying them again. "

That's blackfly, they love nasturtiams.

Pot marigold is edible and a gorgeous orange.

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

"Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue. "

I have offered to soften the edges of your box several times but I gave up trying.

It was obvious that there was no fuschia in it.

over a year ago

You’re far more knowledgeable than I! This is kinda the plan, find the aesthetics and scents I’d like and then work out which would be displays for when. Thanks, I’ll have a look at Aubretia.

If you want something that will thrive now get some pansies and some ivy and intersperse with coloured primroses."

Yes! I recognise aubretia now I’ve seen a pic, that could work well!

Good suggestions, are you an avid gardener?

over a year ago

You can eat them.

I did nasturtiums a different year because I wanted to use them in cooking, but they got nasty little flies on them. It rather put me off ever trying them again.

That's blackfly, they love nasturtiams.

Pot marigold is edible and a gorgeous orange."

over a year ago

"Lavender is always a great choice, but you are absolutely right re the need for softening. I’d like to find a slightly trailing small white flowering plant or blue.

I have offered to soften the edges of your box several times but I gave up trying.

It was obvious that there was no fuschia in it. "

Excellent puns!!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Fucking pansies...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If you want something that will thrive now get some pansies and some ivy and intersperse with coloured primroses.

Good suggestions, are you an avid gardener?"

Yes I am. Enthusiastic rather than expert . I recommend it for pleasure, relaxation, food and healing the soul.

I've been up to my elbows in compost today between posting rubbish on here lol.

over a year ago

(I’ve got three ideas already but can’t decide so I’m going to see if anyone suggests one of them and take it as serendipity or see if anyone gives me an even better idea!)"

Go for a world record sunflower

over a year ago

" Fucking pansies..."

Oi!

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

You need Frank - plants are his job.

If I looks pretty then I like it

B x

over a year ago

Good suggestions, are you an avid gardener?

Yes I am. Enthusiastic rather than expert . I recommend it for pleasure, relaxation, food and healing the soul.

I've been up to my elbows in compost today between posting rubbish on here lol. "

over a year ago

Go for a world record sunflower"

Not a fan of sunflowers actually.

over a year ago

You need Frank - plants are his job.

If I looks pretty then I like it

B x"

I *do* need Frank!

over a year ago

I have three tubs and an oblong planter that im going to put courgettes and borage in.

In one of the tubs im going to put herbs and in another i will grow sweet peas..

In the last one (which has no hole in the bottom) i will make a little water garden with water friendly plants.. i only have a small yard so dont have a lot of room

over a year ago

Fuck gardening!

Started work on shovelling around 20m3 (probably more) of ground today.....most of it consisting of Clay once youre around 1 foot down

Can’t even get a mini excavator to fit through

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"I plant redwoods in my garden. Just so that in 300 years time someone will say " Which cunt planted that here!?"."

You could achieve the same thing, more quickly with Eucalyptus.

over a year ago

Not a fan of sunflowers actually. "

World record turnip?

over a year ago

Put some herbs for cooking.

Basil, morrocon mint, flat and curly parsley...

over a year ago

"I have three tubs and an oblong planter that im going to put courgettes and borage in.

In one of the tubs im going to put herbs and in another i will grow sweet peas..

In the last one (which has no hole in the bottom) i will make a little water garden with water friendly plants.. i only have a small yard so dont have a lot of room "

Sounds brilliant!

over a year ago

"Fuck gardening!

Started work on shovelling around 20m3 (probably more) of ground today.....most of it consisting of Clay once youre around 1 foot down

Can’t even get a mini excavator to fit through "

I’m just imagining you sweaty.

over a year ago

"I plant redwoods in my garden. Just so that in 300 years time someone will say " Which cunt planted that here!?".

You could achieve the same thing, more quickly with Eucalyptus."

over a year ago

World record turnip?"

Window box?!

over a year ago

"Night scented stock for your window boxes. "

Good choice

over a year ago

"Put some herbs for cooking.

Basil, morrocon mint, flat and curly parsley... "

I can never get basil to take.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I plant redwoods in my garden. Just so that in 300 years time someone will say " Which cunt planted that here!?".

You could achieve the same thing, more quickly with Eucalyptus."

And you'd get Eucalyptus oil... and Koala.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I can never get basil to take. "

It must be faulty

over a year ago

"Night scented stock for your window boxes.

Good choice"

Yes, I keep coming back to this one.

over a year ago

You could achieve the same thing, more quickly with Eucalyptus.

And you'd get Eucalyptus oil... and Koala."

Awwww I like koalas

over a year ago

It must be faulty "

Or I am?

over a year ago

Sunflowers!

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

It must be faulty

Or I am?"

Come on Artorez...

Basil Fawlty

over a year ago

"Sunflowers! "

I don’t like them!

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?"

Do you pee on it ? Instead of watering it ?

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Come on Artorez...

Basil Fawlty "

Oh crapadoodle! I’m off my game.

Nods, good one!

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Do you pee on it ? Instead of watering it ? "

Urrr no. Should I?!

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Urrr no. Should I?! "

Yes that's the golden rules.

Lift one leg up and hop hop hop you tinkle on it

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Come on Artorez...

Basil Fawlty

Nods, good one!"

I was surprised you missed that one. I'm a meanie and laughed that you'd let it pass.

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Urrr no. Should I?!

Yes that's the golden rules.

Lift one leg up and hop hop hop you tinkle on it"

Oui

over a year ago

It must be faulty

Or I am?

Come on Artorez...

Basil Fawlty

Nods, good one!

I was surprised you missed that one. I'm a meanie and laughed that you'd let it pass.

"

So mean!

over a year ago

I now know where to come for gardening advice ... although anyone wanting to come and plant my box is very welcome.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

To be fair, my box hasn't been filled for a while. I even did some landscaping on thursday but got stood up

over a year ago

"I now know where to come for gardening advice ... although anyone wanting to come and plant my box is very welcome."

I’m more keen fingered than green fingered!

over a year ago

"To be fair, my box hasn't been filled for a while. I even did some landscaping on thursday but got stood up "

Oh P, that’s annoying.

over a year ago

"To be fair, my box hasn't been filled for a while. I even did some landscaping on thursday but got stood up "

Someone didn’t turn up to fill your landscaped box? Rude..

over a year ago

"I now know where to come for gardening advice ... although anyone wanting to come and plant my box is very welcome.

I’m more keen fingered than green fingered!"

We must all start somewhere Blanche ...

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"To be fair, my box hasn't been filled for a while. I even did some landscaping on thursday but got stood up

Oh P, that’s annoying."

I know! I ended up going for a run instead

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

No seeds planted in my box either.

over a year ago

"Sunflowers!

I don’t like them!"

Fair enough.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"To be fair, my box hasn't been filled for a while. I even did some landscaping on thursday but got stood up

Someone didn’t turn up to fill your landscaped box? Rude.."

Very. He received a strongly worded letter telling him not to entertain applying for the position of box filler in the future as his application had now been shredded.

over a year ago

"I now know where to come for gardening advice ... although anyone wanting to come and plant my box is very welcome.

We must all start somewhere Blanche ... "

I’m definitely a late starter in most things.

over a year ago

Oh P, that’s annoying.

I know! I ended up going for a run instead "

Now that’s just crazy!

over a year ago

"Sunflowers!

I don’t like them!

Fair enough."

over a year ago

I’m definitely a late starter in most things. "

It's not the starting, it's how you finish that's important ...

over a year ago

I’m definitely a late starter in most things.

It's not the starting, it's how you finish that's important ..."

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

What is important at the moment is feeding and watering bees! The bees are out but the flowers arn't, so get out your plates of sugar water!

over a year ago

"What is important at the moment is feeding and watering bees! The bees are out but the flowers arn't, so get out your plates of sugar water! "

Really?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"What is important at the moment is feeding and watering bees! The bees are out but the flowers arn't, so get out your plates of sugar water!

Really? "

Erm, Yes.

over a year ago

"What is important at the moment is feeding and watering bees! The bees are out but the flowers arn't, so get out your plates of sugar water! "

Good point x

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"What is important at the moment is feeding and watering bees! The bees are out but the flowers arn't, so get out your plates of sugar water!

Good point x"

I used one of those energy sachets from my cycling stuff.

over a year ago

Good point x

I used one of those energy sachets from my cycling stuff. "

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

But please don't use honey. I have read several articles which say that giving honey to bees is dangerous if it comes from a different type of bee. So sugar water only please people.

Apologies if I am wrong.

over a year ago

But please don't use honey. I have read several articles which say that giving honey to bees is dangerous if it comes from a different type of bee. So sugar water only please people.

Apologies if I am wrong. "

I found this:

“Don’t be tempted to offer tired bees honey – in most cases the honey isn’t suitable as a lot of honey is imported and may not always be right for native British bees. And only ever offer white granulated sugar – never offer demerara, or any artificial or diet sweeteners.”

over a year ago

I can never get basil to take. "

Use the living herbs that you buy from the supermarket...just repot them into a tub.. thats what i do

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Apologies if I am wrong.

I found this:

“Don’t be tempted to offer tired bees honey – in most cases the honey isn’t suitable as a lot of honey is imported and may not always be right for native British bees. And only ever offer white granulated sugar – never offer demerara, or any artificial or diet sweeteners.”"

Imagine the disappointed bee! " Hold on a minute, this is fuckin' aspartame!"

over a year ago

Use the living herbs that you buy from the supermarket...just repot them into a tub.. thats what i do"

That’s what I tried.

over a year ago

Apologies if I am wrong.

I found this:

“Don’t be tempted to offer tired bees honey – in most cases the honey isn’t suitable as a lot of honey is imported and may not always be right for native British bees. And only ever offer white granulated sugar – never offer demerara, or any artificial or diet sweeteners.”

Imagine the disappointed bee! " Hold on a minute, this is fuckin' aspartame!" "

Ikr?!

Bee huffs and mutters “fucking body shaming me and all”

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Apologies if I am wrong.

I found this:

Imagine the disappointed bee! " Hold on a minute, this is fuckin' aspartame!"

Ikr?!

Bee huffs and mutters “fucking body shaming me and all”"

over a year ago

"Fuchsias"

over a year ago

Lobellia

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'd go with the herb option

over a year ago

Sweet peas always look lovely and smell heavenly.

Geraniums are easy as they don’t need lots of watering, the hanging ones mixed in would look good.

over a year ago

You’re far more knowledgeable than I! This is kinda the plan, find the aesthetics and scents I’d like and then work out which would be displays for when. Thanks, I’ll have a look at Aubretia. "

You can still buy tender plants now though if you find some you especially like. Then plant them when the weather is more steady.

over a year ago

Wacky backy

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Are forget me nots out of the question?

Livingston Daisies come out when it’s sunny.

Aubretia is a great trailing plant.

I like azaelias in a pot and you could put a frame in and have a clematis. They like dry soil.

I’m more green fingered than I thought.

over a year ago

Lobellia"

over a year ago

"I'd go with the herb option "

I am a keen cook so it makes sense to have one that’s herbal!

over a year ago

"Sweet peas always look lovely and smell heavenly.

Geraniums are easy as they don’t need lots of watering, the hanging ones mixed in would look good. "

Good ideas

over a year ago

"Are forget me nots out of the question?

Livingston Daisies come out when it’s sunny.

Aubretia is a great trailing plant.

I like azaelias in a pot and you could put a frame in and have a clematis. They like dry soil.

I’m more green fingered than I thought. "

I adore forget-me-nots!!

The clematis I planted is so happy it has grown up into the trees! It’s called Jingle Bells and so flowers just after Christmas!

over a year ago

Blanche, I highly recommend Wednesday's episode of Britain in Bloom. You'll never guess where it was filmed.

over a year ago

"Blanche, I highly recommend Wednesday's episode of Britain in Bloom. You'll never guess where it was filmed."

Was it Shrewsbury per chance?

over a year ago

World record turnip?

Window box?!"

World biggest cress?

By *heik yourwillyMan
over a year ago

shire

concrete in the window box lol

over a year ago

"Blanche, I highly recommend Wednesday's episode of Britain in Bloom. You'll never guess where it was filmed.

Was it Shrewsbury per chance? "

I don't believe it, I said you'd never guess. You guessed it in one!

over a year ago

"Blanche, I highly recommend Wednesday's episode of Britain in Bloom. You'll never guess where it was filmed.

Was it Shrewsbury per chance?

I don't believe it, I said you'd never guess. You guessed it in one!"

I got smarts you know!

Post new Message to Thread