Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Old habits die hard

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My son shouted out to bring him in an orange yesterday.

I cut it into 8 pieces and put it on a plate for him.

When I handed it to him he said "Mum, you know I'm an adult now, I can peel my own oranges"

I can't seem to break this habit.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My sons 19 and i still ask him if he wants me to cut up his meat for him

over a year ago

"My sons 19 and i still ask him if he wants me to cut up his meat for him "

I've done that with the fat on meat and bacon. I cut his grapes up when I make his fruit salad too.

over a year ago

I remember being in my 20s and my Mum (without thinking) going to hold my hand as we crossed the road. At the time I was horrified.

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"My son shouted out to bring him in an orange yesterday.

I cut it into 8 pieces and put it on a plate for him.

When I handed it to him he said "Mum, you know I'm an adult now, I can peel my own oranges"

I can't seem to break this habit. "

Cheeky bugger... Id have told him to get his own orange in future

My youngest is almost 17... I still ferry him and his friends around so they dont have to use the bus or train, particularly after dark... he laughs and tells me I fuss too much but I still do it.

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I remember being in my 20s and my Mum (without thinking) going to hold my hand as we crossed the road. At the time I was horrified. "

That's funny,it's hard to get out of the habit when you're a mum. I was kinda slightly traumatised when my youngest didn't want to hold my hand anymore,I remember the exact moment.

I kiss her in bed last thing at night still,they may think they're all grown up,but I bet they still secretly love some stuff.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"I remember being in my 20s and my Mum (without thinking) going to hold my hand as we crossed the road. At the time I was horrified.

That's funny,it's hard to get out of the habit when you're a mum. I was kinda slightly traumatised when my youngest didn't want to hold my hand anymore,I remember the exact moment.

I kiss her in bed last thing at night still,they may think they're all grown up,but I bet they still secretly love some stuff."

I get offered their foreheads now

I still chop their apples up and cut their toenails but that's ok as they're still young!

over a year ago

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

I was thinking Psycho for a minute.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

If id had my way, my kids would have been sweeping chimneys at the age of 7...

Fortunately for them, everybody has central so their services were not needed..

kids do need to learn how to be self sufficient from an early age, its how they learn important life skills and more importantly gives them the desire to fly the nest sooner than later...

Nobody wants a 32 year old still at home shouting "mum, get me an orange, peeled and broken up and don't leave the white stuff on it like last time 'cos its horrible and can i have egg and dippy soldiers for tea, runny egg so i can dip the soldiers 'cos you always hard boil the egg... remember, runny... Mummm, you didn't plug my playstation control in to charge, how am i meant to play it now... Jeez, I dunno why i live here, gotta do everything myself"...

over a year ago

"If id had my way, my kids would have been sweeping chimneys at the age of 7...

kids do need to learn how to be self sufficient from an early age, its how they learn important life skills and more importantly gives them the desire to fly the nest sooner than later...

Nobody wants a 32 year old still at home shouting "mum, get me an orange, peeled and broken up and don't leave the white stuff on it like last time 'cos its horrible and can i have egg and dippy soldiers for tea, runny egg so i can dip the soldiers 'cos you always hard boil the egg... remember, runny... Mummm, you didn't plug my playstation control in to charge, how am i meant to play it now... Jeez, I dunno why i live here, gotta do everything myself"..."

I was more concerned that I cut up his orange than me still living with him. I'd be fucked if he threw me out.

over a year ago

My son is at the stage were I can't kiss him anymore because he thinks at 9 he's a man.

over a year ago

"My son is at the stage were I can't kiss him anymore because he thinks at 9 he's a man. "

I still get spontaneous hugs and kisses from my 9 and 10 year old grandsons.

over a year ago

"My son is at the stage were I can't kiss him anymore because he thinks at 9 he's a man.

I still get spontaneous hugs and kisses from my 9 and 10 year old grandsons. "

That's lovely, I think it's cool to kiss your nan but not dad.

over a year ago

I'm lucky. My two are still very affectionate and tactile. My son in particular is forever telling me he loves me and is a total sweetheart. I know already I am going to be a total psycho maw whenever he gets a burd!

over a year ago

"I'm lucky. My two are still very affectionate and tactile. My son in particular is forever telling me he loves me and is a total sweetheart. I know already I am going to be a total psycho maw whenever he gets a burd!"

Course you are, mummy's little chocolate soldier always will be. I saw my daughter get off the bus with a boy. She spotted me and quickly walked towards me. I wanted his name, where he lived, what his parents did for a living.

over a year ago

My lad is 22 & I still get a good ole dad hug

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"My son is at the stage were I can't kiss him anymore because he thinks at 9 he's a man. "

My now 33 year old son also did not want me to do that at that age but he wanted contact so we would link little fingers together for a second. That was our ‘I love you, stay safe’ until he was old enough not to care what other people thought.

I knew I’d done good when, instead of scattering in a supermarket when I broke into song because they were pestering me, they joined in.

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

"My sons 19 and i still ask him if he wants me to cut up his meat for him "

Me too x storm x

over a year ago

"My son is at the stage were I can't kiss him anymore because he thinks at 9 he's a man.

My now 33 year old son also did not want me to do that at that age but he wanted contact so we would link little fingers together for a second. That was our ‘I love you, stay safe’ until he was old enough not to care what other people thought.

I knew I’d done good when, instead of scattering in a supermarket when I broke into song because they were pestering me, they joined in."

class.

over a year ago

I knew I’d done good when, instead of scattering in a supermarket when I broke into song because they were pestering me, they joined in."

I don't get an after school hug in the playground now but he put his arm around my waist and walked along with me through the park this afternoon.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

"If id had my way, my kids would have been sweeping chimneys at the age of 7...

Nobody wants a 32 year old still at home shouting "mum, get me an orange, peeled and broken up and don't leave the white stuff on it like last time 'cos its horrible and can i have egg and dippy soldiers for tea, runny egg so i can dip the soldiers 'cos you always hard boil the egg... remember, runny... Mummm, you didn't plug my playstation control in to charge, how am i meant to play it now... Jeez, I dunno why i live here, gotta do everything myself"...

I was more concerned that I cut up his orange than me still living with him. I'd be fucked if he threw me out. "

I take it all back and doff my cap to you..

Keep peeling those oranges cos eventually he'll be peeling the oranges for you..

You got in there before the difficult conversation over which nursing home to stick you in, the nice one with the soft toilet roll or the we can actually afford that wipes yer arse with sandpaper. .

By *emplarWarriorMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

My sister still has the same pillow slip that we had made at a fun fair on a family holiday when I was probably 8 years old, I had one done too with a BMX on and my name, I have no idea where that went. My sisters has a princess coach on which used to be all glittery and sparkle but now you can barely make it out. She doesnt sleep with it anymore, it just stays on her bed in the daytime

over a year ago

"I remember being in my 20s and my Mum (without thinking) going to hold my hand as we crossed the road. At the time I was horrified.

I kiss her in bed last thing at night still,they may think they're all grown up,but I bet they still secretly love some stuff."

Oh my middle son who is 15 and is far too cool to even stand next to me, still wants me to tuck him in sometimes lol.

Geeky x

over a year ago

My 12 year old will now and again hold hands with me, probably because when he is with us in harlow he can’t be seen by his friends lol.

Geeky x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im terrible with my son. He always gives me kisses and cuddles. Tells me he loves me. I know i treat him like a child at times but as he lives 50 miles away its ok. He humours me. He left home at 16 and i miss him being a child

Post new Message to Thread