Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Favourite book

Jump to newest

By *oodnitegirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Booked a holiday. Need book suggestions.

What’s your fave? What genre is it? What’s it about?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

All time favourite read is probably Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes genuinely moved me when I read it. If you don't know it it's the story of a man during World War I that has elements of love story alongside the grittiness of life in the trenches and much much more.

If you're looking for quick and easy holiday reads and like crime thrillers then the Roy Grace series by Peter James is excellent.

For something different try The Bees by Laline Paul - the story of a bee hive told through the eyes of a bee - sounds odd but works really well

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Chronicles of the raven is my favourate book series of all time james barcley is the man

Its fantasy btw

over a year ago

"All time favourite read is probably Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes genuinely moved me when I read it. If you don't know it it's the story of a man during World War I that has elements of love story alongside the grittiness of life in the trenches and much much more.

If you're looking for quick and easy holiday reads and like crime thrillers then the Roy Grace series by Peter James is excellent.

For something different try The Bees by Laline Paul - the story of a bee hive told through the eyes of a bee - sounds odd but works really well "

I approve the Faulks. It’s a beautiful one. I’m currently listening to the audio version of it as a revisit (read by Samuel West).

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Beach reading Jackie Collins.

over a year ago

"All time favourite read is probably Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes genuinely moved me when I read it. If you don't know it it's the story of a man during World War I that has elements of love story alongside the grittiness of life in the trenches and much much more.

For something different try The Bees by Laline Paul - the story of a bee hive told through the eyes of a bee - sounds odd but works really well

I approve the Faulks. It’s a beautiful one. I’m currently listening to the audio version of it as a revisit (read by Samuel West). "

And I just bought The Bees for my sister!

By *aura66Woman
over a year ago

Belfast

Currently reading......

Swearing is good for you

By

Emma Byrne

The history of swearing from earliest history within all nationalities & cultures. Really interesting read & laugh out loud.

over a year ago

Yorkshire

For something different try The Bees by Laline Paul - the story of a bee hive told through the eyes of a bee - sounds odd but works really well "

If you love birdsong try ‘my dear I wanted to tell you’ xx

over a year ago

It by Stephen King.

Yeah, it's a horror, but for me the core of the story is the Losers Club and their love and friendship. One of my favourite casts of characters ever.

By *Cocksucker84Man
over a year ago

newcastle

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It's about a group of oddballs studying classics at college who murder one of their fellow peers. Brilliant. Very dark.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

And I just bought The Bees for my sister! "

Get yourself a copy or borrow it when she's finished - it's brilliant

over a year ago

Ready Player One, which I read years ago , is brill but only if you understand the gaming world to a certain extent.

Alternatively, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles which is like a Donnie Darko time travel thing, come love story, come bizarre tale of weirdness!

Mrs xx

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

If you love birdsong try ‘my dear I wanted to tell you’ xx"

Thank you, just looked it up and sounds exactly my kind of book - found a copy on eBay and duly ordered

over a year ago

"

And I just bought The Bees for my sister!

Get yourself a copy or borrow it when she's finished - it's brilliant "

Deal!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

A Star Wars legacy book called I, Jedi - really really good book it’s 20 years old this year omg

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It's about a group of oddballs studying classics at college who murder one of their fellow peers. Brilliant. Very dark. "

The Little Friend is also very good

over a year ago

Espedair Street by Iain Banks

Its about a bass player who's struggling to live life now that hes rich and famous. Most of it is based where i grew up and so feels as though I knew the guy!

over a year ago

"Espedair Street by Iain Banks

Its about a bass player who's struggling to live life now that hes rich and famous. Most of it is based where i grew up and so feels as though I knew the guy! "

over a year ago

The bible

over a year ago

"The bible "

The drivle more like

over a year ago

The Secret Life of Cows

over a year ago

The Alex Cross series by James Patterson.

over a year ago

"Ready Player One, which I read years ago , is brill but only if you understand the gaming world to a certain extent.

Alternatively, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles which is like a Donnie Darko time travel thing, come love story, come bizarre tale of weirdness!

Mrs xx"

Loved readyplayer 1

Catch 22 is excellent funny but very raw at times.

Holiday read I would recommend Hitchhikers Guide funny an a light rwad for a Holiday

over a year ago

Yorkshire

"The bible

The drivle more like"

Rude!

I read my bible every night. Seriously.

over a year ago

I could never pick one favourite as my reading taste is somewhat eclectic. As for only taking one book on holiday, I usually take at least four. I hope you have a bloody amazing hollibobs though dear.

over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I could never pick one favourite as my reading taste is somewhat eclectic. As for only taking one book on holiday, I usually take at least four. I hope you have a bloody amazing hollibobs though dear. "

Thankyou lovey. It’s a cruise so I’m guessing a lot less reading time than a general hol with spending time in the cities! You’re right. Need at least two tho xx

over a year ago

Kate mosse

Labrynth

About 1400 pages

Brilliant read

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Personally I prefer non fiction. I find it more interesting.

Historical stuff like Gangland Soho or sports stuff like Unforgivable Blackness or Murder of Sonny Liston.

over a year ago

Caitlin Moran books are wonderful. Funny, real, honest. Her first ‘How To Be A Woman’ is a good place to start!

Where’s your holiday!?!

over a year ago

'Martin Eden' by Jack London

over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Caitlin Moran books are wonderful. Funny, real, honest. Her first ‘How To Be A Woman’ is a good place to start!

Where’s your holiday!?!"

Cruise. Starts in Barcelona than calls at Italy and Corsica and Portugal xx

over a year ago

We Were Liars is a brilliant read

over a year ago

"Caitlin Moran books are wonderful. Funny, real, honest. Her first ‘How To Be A Woman’ is a good place to start!

Where’s your holiday!?!

Cruise. Starts in Barcelona than calls at Italy and Corsica and Portugal xx"

Ooh amazing! Have fun! X

over a year ago

Russian Roulette by Michael Isikoff and David Corn. It's a great espionage story that would put John le Carré to shame

over a year ago

Easy choice for me, the classic cold war thriller Gorky Park.

Not a difficult read but a classic.

over a year ago

"Booked a holiday. Need book suggestions.

What’s your fave? What genre is it? What’s it about? "

For holiday suggest Matthew Reilly

Jack West books Action Adventure.

1.Seven Ancient Wonders

2.Six Sacred Stones

3.Five Greatest Warriors

4.Four Legendary Kingdoms

Real old fashioned cant put em down page turners.

By *asilForty77Man
over a year ago

a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road

The Damage Done is a book by Australian Warren Fellows. It portrays his time in the notorious Bangkwang prison, nicknamed "Big Tiger". Fellows was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1978, convicted of heroin trafficking between Bangkok, Thailand and Australia.

over a year ago

Depends what you like, my favourite is ‘my best friends girl’ by Dorothy Koomson, bloody lovely story!! Also the confessions of a shopaholic series by Sophie kinsella, not very high brow but I like them.

Geeky x

Post new Message to Thread