FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Fab Crap Runners’ Club WEEK SIXTEEN (16-22 April)

Jump to newest

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Hi all

A quickie new thread for the week. Due to a bit of a dramatic day at home, I’ve not done a summary. I’ll post one if I can later or tomorrow.

Keep running you gorgeous people!

Mrs T. x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ooooo I'd love a quickie but will make do with running

Hope everything's ok Mrs T

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Rest day today, 13.5 miles on Friday and parkrun yesterday

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Ooooo I'd love a quickie but will make do with running

Hope everything's ok Mrs T "

Quickie after a run!

over a year ago

Quickie after a run! "

I'm celibate

over a year ago

Can I join? I’ve got a 10k coming up. I’m not going to train. Don’t laugh, but I reckon I can do it. How painful will my recovery be?

over a year ago

I have run 5k again today in 54 minutes. Very pleased as I only managed two 3ks last week. I think I was suffering from a bit of over training. My 10k is 10th june. I think I might need to try and get 3 runs a week in, instead of 1 or 2! May need to swap out a gym night (I go to the gym 4 nights a week) Keep it up everyone

over a year ago

"Can I join? I’ve got a 10k coming up. I’m not going to train. Don’t laugh, but I reckon I can do it. How painful will my recovery be? "

It will be my first! Trying not to think about the aftermath LOL other than what massive pudding I will have after

over a year ago

"Hi all

A quickie new thread for the week. Due to a bit of a dramatic day at home, I’ve not done a summary. I’ll post one if I can later or tomorrow.

Keep running you gorgeous people!

Mrs T. x"

I'm up for a quickie too! Did 12 miles this morning but was harder work than it should have been, and felt crappy most of the way round. Hoping I'll feel better running with the sun on my back later this week!

over a year ago

"Can I join? I’ve got a 10k coming up. I’m not going to train. Don’t laugh, but I reckon I can do it. How painful will my recovery be? "

Depends on your general level of fitness, but it will hurt!!

over a year ago

Mersey tunnel 10k today tough but completed.....

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Well done everyone!

I was lazy this morning and didn't run, but I did run three times this week...

By *sylockeWoman
over a year ago

East Anglia

Ran 5k on Saturday & Sunday as I’m not sure I could squeeze a run in if I had a rest day. Slow run but glad I finished the distance.

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

Just caught the new thread...and bookmarking.

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Quickie after a run!

I'm celibate "

What are you celibating??

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Hoping to get out today at some point but i have family over at 9 so depends what time i can get rid of them....i mean what time they stay until

over a year ago

Good luck everyone this week

over a year ago

Session 1 of couch to 5km completed this morning.

Found it tough enough, but has sparked my interest in running again.

over a year ago

"Can I join? I’ve got a 10k coming up. I’m not going to train. Don’t laugh, but I reckon I can do it. How painful will my recovery be?

Depends on your general level of fitness, but it will hurt!! "

Yep, that’s what I thought. I’m fit, I’ve an active job, but I think my recovery will be awful.

over a year ago

Just had a plod round the local countryside, it was great just getting out.

over a year ago

Been out for a run, jog and walk today, mixing it up a bit and decided to run the loop twice and the walks were on the flat bits, ran/jogged the ups and ran the downs lol

A few PR's today, 6.8k, pace 8.22......5k 38.34

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Been out for a run, jog and walk today, mixing it up a bit and decided to run the loop twice and the walks were on the flat bits, ran/jogged the ups and ran the downs lol

A few PR's today, 6.8k, pace 8.22......5k 38.34 "

Brilliant!!!!

over a year ago

Didn't run this morni g but did a walk instead. Going salsa tonight x

over a year ago

"Can I join? I’ve got a 10k coming up. I’m not going to train. Don’t laugh, but I reckon I can do it. How painful will my recovery be?

Yep, that’s what I thought. I’m fit, I’ve an active job, but I think my recovery will be awful. "

Is there a reason you aren't training for it?

over a year ago

I'm walking like C3PO today and stairs are a significant obstacle! The day after a marathon really doesn't get any easier!

over a year ago

"Session 1 of couch to 5km completed this morning.

Found it tough enough, but has sparked my interest in running again.

"

Well done! And welcome to FCRC

over a year ago

Planning on getting out tomorrow morning, but not going to overdo it..... I hope

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"I'm walking like C3PO today and stairs are a significant obstacle! The day after a marathon really doesn't get any easier!"

Backwards down the stairs obviously...

over a year ago

Yep, that’s what I thought. I’m fit, I’ve an active job, but I think my recovery will be awful.

Is there a reason you aren't training for it?"

Simple answer is time and the opportunity to train.

over a year ago

A few easy runs this week then London Marathon on Sunday. Weather looks like a complete nightmare.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I’ve thrown Strava away, the bitch was causing me so much disillusion and grief, I’ve just been getting out there and moving.

I did about 5k this evening and I’ve no idea how long it took me but I plotted the route when I got home.

I’ve discovered I’m not a fan of running with anyone, parkrun will be my once a week torture to find out if I’m actually improving or not and I’ve joined a club where I pay per run and I just plod around on my own but the promise of going and a lift means I go.

I ran in a tee and leggings tonight and it’s easier than all those layers I was in during January and February.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

How did all our marathoners do? All happy with performance and times?

over a year ago

"I’ve thrown Strava away, the bitch was causing me so much disillusion and grief, I’ve just been getting out there and moving.

I did about 5k this evening and I’ve no idea how long it took me but I plotted the route when I got home.

I’ve discovered I’m not a fan of running with anyone, parkrun will be my once a week torture to find out if I’m actually improving or not and I’ve joined a club where I pay per run and I just plod around on my own but the promise of going and a lift means I go.

I ran in a tee and leggings tonight and it’s easier than all those layers I was in during January and February. "

Shame strava isn't good for you but at least you're going out and running have you tried any app on your phone? Mine comes with samsung health, it doesn't plot what i do but sort of counts steps

When you said you ran in a tee, my eyes read that you ran in to a tree

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I’ve thrown Strava away, the bitch was causing me so much disillusion and grief, I’ve just been getting out there and moving.

I ran in a tee and leggings tonight and it’s easier than all those layers I was in during January and February.

Shame strava isn't good for you but at least you're going out and running have you tried any app on your phone? Mine comes with samsung health, it doesn't plot what i do but sort of counts steps

When you said you ran in a tee, my eyes read that you ran in to a tree "

Honest to goodness, Stravas data is simply shit and utterly useless. She recorded a load of lies.

No trees but plenty of trip hazards! I’ve not managed to fall over yet though.

over a year ago

I ran in a tee and leggings tonight and it’s easier than all those layers I was in during January and February. "

You telling me Strava lies , it was telling me I was improving

I used my 10k run app again this morning, skipped to week 3, run 7. Only managed 4.3k in 28 min as the app said I'd finished that run, but carried on my normal route for another 5 minutes after. Feeling exhausted as been a busy few days at work and not sleeping that well. But glad I went out

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

You telling me Strava lies , it was telling me I was improving

I used my 10k run app again this morning, skipped to week 3, run 7. Only managed 4.3k in 28 min as the app said I'd finished that run, but carried on my normal route for another 5 minutes after. Feeling exhausted as been a busy few days at work and not sleeping that well. But glad I went out "

GPS watches are a good investment and you can pick one up on eBay fairly cheaply...

And well done T and C...

x

over a year ago

I use map my run I've found it good x did circuits this morning

over a year ago

"How did all our marathoners do? All happy with performance and times?"

We crossed the line together drinking cider that we opened a few hundred metres from the line - it was an awesone day and was never about the time!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"How did all our marathoners do? All happy with performance and times?

We crossed the line together drinking cider that we opened a few hundred metres from the line - it was an awesone day and was never about the time! "

That sounds bloody wonderful!

When’s the next one?

over a year ago

Have any of you thought that they will never be a runner. I get ready to go out...start running and just can't do it. I end up power walking uphill instead. I don't know if it's a mental block. I used to run a wee bit but it was more a granny jog x

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"Have any of you thought that they will never be a runner. I get ready to go out...start running and just can't do it. I end up power walking uphill instead. I don't know if it's a mental block. I used to run a wee bit but it was more a granny jog x"

Definately, i havent tried hills ues my thought was get used to jogging on the flat first so thars all ive done, still not used to it. But im being persistant that i dont want to fail. Im hoping once ive comleted c25k itll be easier.

over a year ago

We crossed the line together drinking cider that we opened a few hundred metres from the line - it was an awesone day and was never about the time!

When’s the next one?"

It really was a wonderful day, the reaction we got from the crowds when we cracked the cans open was amazing

Liverpool rock n roll marathon next month on my own. And then we're doing Marathon du Medoc in France in September with it's 23 wine stops!

over a year ago

"Have any of you thought that they will never be a runner. I get ready to go out...start running and just can't do it. I end up power walking uphill instead. I don't know if it's a mental block. I used to run a wee bit but it was more a granny jog x

Definately, i havent tried hills ues my thought was get used to jogging on the flat first so thars all ive done, still not used to it. But im being persistant that i dont want to fail. Im hoping once ive comleted c25k itll be easier. "

Oh I don't run uphill. I go out with the mind set of running on the flat and can't do it so change where I go out and power walk uphill so it least it feels like I've done a workout

There's a 10k every September and I say every year I'm going to do it but never do. Even signed up and just didn't do it

I might keep checking on this post for some motivation x

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"Have any of you thought that they will never be a runner. I get ready to go out...start running and just can't do it. I end up power walking uphill instead. I don't know if it's a mental block. I used to run a wee bit but it was more a granny jog x

Definately, i havent tried hills ues my thought was get used to jogging on the flat first so thars all ive done, still not used to it. But im being persistant that i dont want to fail. Im hoping once ive comleted c25k itll be easier.

Oh I don't run uphill. I go out with the mind set of running on the flat and can't do it so change where I go out and power walk uphill so it least it feels like I've done a workout

There's a 10k every September and I say every year I'm going to do it but never do. Even signed up and just didn't do it

I might keep checking on this post for some motivation x"

The FCRC is great motivation its kept me going. I dont even go near hills stay to the flat along the canal. As long as your doing something your overlapping everyone sat on the couch

over a year ago

Although it wasn’t running, I climbed snowdonia the weekend just gone, although I did jog down a little!

over a year ago

The FCRC is great motivation its kept me going. I dont even go near hills stay to the flat along the canal. As long as your doing something your overlapping everyone sat on the couch "

This is very true. Fuck it I'm going out a run just now x

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

The FCRC is great motivation its kept me going. I dont even go near hills stay to the flat along the canal. As long as your doing something your overlapping everyone sat on the couch

This is very true. Fuck it I'm going out a run just now x"

Go for it and enjoy

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"Although it wasn’t running, I climbed snowdonia the weekend just gone, although I did jog down a little! "

Fantastic, well done

over a year ago

I might keep checking on this post for some motivation x"

I still find it a mission to go out and run. Head says DO IT WOMAN!, body goes, SIT DOWN, RELAX, HAVE ANOTHER COFFEE, grrrrrrr.

But a walk, jog, run whatever you can do is better then nothing and as Tigercub said, the C25k is what most of us started on thanks to the amazing OP and we have all shared our stories good and bad.

So come join us, we don't bite...

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

I still find it a mission to go out and run. Head says DO IT WOMAN!, body goes, SIT DOWN, RELAX, HAVE ANOTHER COFFEE, grrrrrrr.

But a walk, jog, run whatever you can do is better then nothing and as Tigercub said, the C25k is what most of us started on thanks to the amazing OP and we have all shared our stories good and bad.

So come join us, we don't bite... "

Some of us do

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Abridged list!

FAB CRAP RUNNERS' CLUB

WEEK SIXTEEN!!!!

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

Hey lovely Fab Crap Runners!

It's Week Sixteen! For various reasons at home I couldn't do the proper list but here's a mini version.

STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... Two dates for your diaries:

1) The next Fab Crap Runners' Club parkrun and social will be at 8.45am on Sat 5 May 2018 at the Great Denham parkrun near Bedford followed by coffee and gossip in a nearby pub. All welcome. Please RSVP on the thread.

2) The FCRC sex-club social will be on 8 June at Vanilla Alternative from 8pm. (Please note, you'll need to ensure you're a member of the club and that you've booked a place well in advance). Again, please RSVP.

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January, a bunch of Fabbers began improving our fitness through running. None of us were natural athletes (I was a natural couch potato!) but we did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (I used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it (I mean reeeeeeeeeally bad), you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

AND FINALLY:

Hopefully back to the usual thread next week. Keep running and posting you sexy people.

Mrs Trellis x

PS - Don't forget the socials! All are welcome.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Have any of you thought that they will never be a runner. I get ready to go out...start running and just can't do it. I end up power walking uphill instead. I don't know if it's a mental block. I used to run a wee bit but it was more a granny jog x"

You're so welcome here. This is exactly how crap most of us are/were. This group was started for people who were absolutely certain that running was something for other people. x

over a year ago

So come join us, we don't bite... "

Actually done it. Well half and half. Jogged bout 1/3 of a mile then power walked up the big hill then ran back down. Felt a bit Callum Hawkins at the bottom. Wee heart was going like the clappers so power walked back with wee spurts of jogging. I might actually do a 10k yet. Feel fuckin magic x

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

When’s the next one?

It really was a wonderful day, the reaction we got from the crowds when we cracked the cans open was amazing

Liverpool rock n roll marathon next month on my own. And then we're doing Marathon du Medoc in France in September with it's 23 wine stops!"

I know quite a few doing that one, what bunch of happy runners

over a year ago

Actually done it. Well half and half. Jogged bout 1/3 of a mile then power walked up the big hill then ran back down. Felt a bit Callum Hawkins at the bottom. Wee heart was going like the clappers so power walked back with wee spurts of jogging. I might actually do a 10k yet. Feel fuckin magic x

"

Yay you!

over a year ago

"

Woohoo go you

I find the motivation from this group is great no-one ever says you're crap, the only person that does that is yourself! We're all hard on ourselves

I got fed up of plodding along at a slog of a jog last week so I'm running, jogging and walking the walking has been on flats, the jog is the start up after my walk then i run as long as i can up and down hills i ache today but felt so much better yesterday.

I have tried running on a flat and found that harder as you have to constantly push yourself, whereas i can get a bit of a wizz on going downhill lol 2 of my uphills have steps and if i run up them i get like rocky balboa when i make it to the top lol

We're all doing great considering where we were in January

over a year ago

"Although it wasn’t running, I climbed snowdonia the weekend just gone, although I did jog down a little! "

Awesome, was there still snow on the top? Which route did you do?

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I have only just seen your post about skipping sessions, I wouldn't skip as the progressions are quite good, however if you feel you can run for longer & walk for less within that weeks prescribed efforts then do so, thus the distance progression will be the same, but your fitness progression will suit you.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

The above was in response to a query from chasing waterfalls...sorry tech fail on my part..

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Hill session for me tonight

I don't do hills

over a year ago

"Hill session for me tonight

I don't do hills "

They are hard aren't they lol

Any tips?

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

When’s the next one?

Great effort

I ran out of time to run Sunday. I also ran out of time to eat lunch.

I am feeling better I think.

Have to have something positive to post soon

Liverpool rock n roll marathon next month on my own. And then we're doing Marathon du Medoc in France in September with it's 23 wine stops!"

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

HOT WEATHER TIPS.

First run in heat today, just got back from a short 3.5k and apart from

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

...what tips do you experienced runners have? Anything that we shouldn’t be doing?

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

...what tips do you experienced runners have? Anything that we shouldn’t be doing?"

Oh, this is from the person who actively avoids sun and would rather stay in a cool building or under cover.

over a year ago

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

...what tips do you experienced runners have? Anything that we shouldn’t be doing?"

I put toilet roll in my ears cos the wind gives me earache x

over a year ago

Woohoo go you

I find the motivation from this group is great no-one ever says you're crap, the only person that does that is yourself! We're all hard on ourselves

I got fed up of plodding along at a slog of a jog last week so I'm running, jogging and walking the walking has been on flats, the jog is the start up after my walk then i run as long as i can up and down hills i ache today but felt so much better yesterday.

I have tried running on a flat and found that harder as you have to constantly push yourself, whereas i can get a bit of a wizz on going downhill lol 2 of my uphills have steps and if i run up them i get like rocky balboa when i make it to the top lol

We're all doing great considering where we were in January "

Yeah I don't know if it was cos I went a different road to which I usually walk and the fact I changed it up a bit but it felt great

My legs are sore today. I'm quite chuffed about that x

over a year ago

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

Think you've pretty much nailed it there! If it gets really hot, then avoid running in the middle of the day, getting up early while it's fresh but still warm is a lovely time to run, and you get to feel smug for the rest of the day

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

I did a naked run last year which was great

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Im going to have to be on the sick bench for a while. Got hit with a head cold yesterday and feel really bad with it. So far ive been awake for 2 and a half hours today

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Im going to have to be on the sick bench for a while. Got hit with a head cold yesterday and feel really bad with it. So far ive been awake for 2 and a half hours today "

Feel better soon!

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"Im going to have to be on the sick bench for a while. Got hit with a head cold yesterday and feel really bad with it. So far ive been awake for 2 and a half hours today

Feel better soon!"

Thankyou, i hope so, colds i can deal with, its the light sensitivity and constant drumming headache thats stopping everything

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

...what tips do you experienced runners have? Anything that we shouldn’t be doing?

Think you've pretty much nailed it there! If it gets really hot, then avoid running in the middle of the day, getting up early while it's fresh but still warm is a lovely time to run, and you get to feel smug for the rest of the day "

What is this ‘early’?

I avoid everything in the the middle of a hot day, even staying awake if I could

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I did a naked run last year which was great"

Doesn’t all that flapping about get annoying?

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"Im going to have to be on the sick bench for a while. Got hit with a head cold yesterday and feel really bad with it. So far ive been awake for 2 and a half hours today

Feel better soon!

Thankyou, i hope so, colds i can deal with, its the light sensitivity and constant drumming headache thats stopping everything"

That sounds very like a migraine to me. Are you ok?

over a year ago

"I did a naked run last year which was great

Doesn’t all that flapping about get annoying?"

Not if you run in the cold.....

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Checking in

Week six run one completed last night. Wasn't too bad all things considered. I'm not sure my new route past the chip shop was my best idea...... Good job I didn't have any cash on me

Blue x

over a year ago

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

Think you've pretty much nailed it there! If it gets really hot, then avoid running in the middle of the day, getting up early while it's fresh but still warm is a lovely time to run, and you get to feel smug for the rest of the day "

early runs to wake the body and mind up. Watching the sun rise as you run is a great thing

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

Think you've pretty much nailed it there! If it gets really hot, then avoid running in the middle of the day, getting up early while it's fresh but still warm is a lovely time to run, and you get to feel smug for the rest of the day

early runs to wake the body and mind up. Watching the sun rise as you run is a great thing "

All my adult life I’ve wanted to be an early riser but it really mucks me up. I’ve always wanted to watch the sun rise in Bradgate Park, sitting by the Old John monument but every time I’ve tried, I just can’t get up! The only time I ever got up early was when I had no choice but to go to work.

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

[Removed by poster at 18/04/18 20:42:21]

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Feel better soon!

Thankyou, i hope so, colds i can deal with, its the light sensitivity and constant drumming headache thats stopping everything

That sounds very like a migraine to me. Are you ok?"

Apart from sleeping all day and symptoms above, along with congestion, sore throat and temperature/chills varying, im ok. Just keep going back to sleep cant feel it that way lol.

over a year ago

"

All my adult life I’ve wanted to be an early riser but it really mucks me up. I’ve always wanted to watch the sun rise in Bradgate Park, sitting by the Old John monument but every time I’ve tried, I just can’t get up! The only time I ever got up early was when I had no choice but to go to work."

Once summer kicks in for real, I'll come and pick you up early and we can drive up there, then run/hike up to the top. I've done a few early morning runs there, it has a surreal almost magical feel to it, running through the bracken surrounded by all the deer.

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

Doesn’t all that flapping about get annoying?"

I had a rather lovely woman in front of me so no lol

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"

All my adult life I’ve wanted to be an early riser but it really mucks me up. I’ve always wanted to watch the sun rise in Bradgate Park, sitting by the Old John monument but every time I’ve tried, I just can’t get up! The only time I ever got up early was when I had no choice but to go to work.

Once summer kicks in for real, I'll come and pick you up early and we can drive up there, then run/hike up to the top. I've done a few early morning runs there, it has a surreal almost magical feel to it, running through the bracken surrounded by all the deer. "

Then I would have to get up! Thanks mate

I’m lookimg forward to that, I’ll bring a flask of BPC.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Doesn’t all that flapping about get annoying?

I had a rather lovely woman in front of me so no lol"

Less flapping and more tapping then!

over a year ago

Anyone here doing London on Sunday. Getting a bit worried about the heat now.

over a year ago

"Anyone here doing London on Sunday. Getting a bit worried about the heat now."

Drinking will be important but don’t overdo it. Take advantage of any shade you can find. The aim is the medal at the finish line and not a world record so focus on that and drop any time expectations

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Anyone here doing London on Sunday. Getting a bit worried about the heat now."

Good luck!

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

early runs to wake the body and mind up. Watching the sun rise as you run is a great thing "

I'm an evening runner, and not a morning person. It's enough of a struggle to get to work on time (and parkrun on a Saturday!)

over a year ago

Feel better soon!

That sounds very like a migraine to me. Are you ok?

Apart from sleeping all day and symptoms above, along with congestion, sore throat and temperature/chills varying, im ok. Just keep going back to sleep cant feel it that way lol."

Hope you're feeling better soon

over a year ago

Todays run....got out for a run at 2, jeeese it was warm, found it a lot harder than when there was frost on the ground! Ran in just a t-shirt and leggings but think i may opt for shorts and a thong hopefully this will clear up the sweaty arse crack didn't do my best effort or time and at one point i was wondering why the hell I'm doing this but ran/jogged and walked the course twice, 6.9k oh and halfway round i got a banging headache that i haven't been able to shift all day cracked on and mowed the lawn that was starting to resemble the jungle! And spent waaay to much at my favourite shop, go outdoors. Finally sat down to chill at 8pm

over a year ago

"Anyone here doing London on Sunday. Getting a bit worried about the heat now.

Drinking will be important but don’t overdo it. Take advantage of any shade you can find. The aim is the medal at the finish line and not a world record so focus on that and drop any time expectations "

Keep hydrated is the main thing but other than that there's not a lot you can do as there's not enough time to aclimatise to the hotter weather

Also get to the start early and if possible find some shade amd stick in it as long as possible

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

early runs to wake the body and mind up. Watching the sun rise as you run is a great thing

I'm an evening runner, and not a morning person. It's enough of a struggle to get to work on time (and parkrun on a Saturday!)"

Snap. Am still in shock as making just one parkrun

over a year ago

I went out again this morning did week 4, run 1 on my app.

Did OK, just need to remember to take hay-fever medicine before I go out, not when I get home. Never coughed and sneezed so much on a run before! Pollen count is very high today

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Todays run....got out for a run at 2, jeeese it was warm, found it a lot harder than when there was frost on the ground! Ran in just a t-shirt and leggings but think i may opt for shorts and a thong hopefully this will clear up the sweaty arse crack didn't do my best effort or time and at one point i was wondering why the hell I'm doing this but ran/jogged and walked the course twice, 6.9k oh and halfway round i got a banging headache that i haven't been able to shift all day cracked on and mowed the lawn that was starting to resemble the jungle! And spent waaay to much at my favourite shop, go outdoors. Finally sat down to chill at 8pm "

That was a busy day! I skipped going for a run on Tuesday eve and mowed the lawn with over a foot high grass in places! It enabled me to go for a run last night which was very warm, very windy too and for once I was glad of wind to cool me down a little

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"I went out again this morning did week 4, run 1 on my app.

Did OK, just need to remember to take hay-fever medicine before I go out, not when I get home. Never coughed and sneezed so much on a run before! Pollen count is very high today "

Wow that was an way run!

I get a really stuffed nose this time of year but doc says I don't have hayfever and what helps me is Vicks, anyone else suffer the same and what do you do to help breath?

over a year ago

I went for a bike ride last night and did circuits this morning.

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Todays run....got out for a run at 2, jeeese it was warm, found it a lot harder than when there was frost on the ground! Ran in just a t-shirt and leggings but think i may opt for shorts and a thong hopefully this will clear up the sweaty arse crack didn't do my best effort or time and at one point i was wondering why the hell I'm doing this but ran/jogged and walked the course twice, 6.9k oh and halfway round i got a banging headache that i haven't been able to shift all day cracked on and mowed the lawn that was starting to resemble the jungle! And spent waaay to much at my favourite shop, go outdoors. Finally sat down to chill at 8pm

That was a busy day! I skipped going for a run on Tuesday eve and mowed the lawn with over a foot high grass in places! It enabled me to go for a run last night which was very warm, very windy too and for once I was glad of wind to cool me down a little"

Is “mowing the lawn” a euphemism?

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Anyone here doing London on Sunday. Getting a bit worried about the heat now.

Drinking will be important but don’t overdo it. Take advantage of any shade you can find. The aim is the medal at the finish line and not a world record so focus on that and drop any time expectations

Keep hydrated is the main thing but other than that there's not a lot you can do as there's not enough time to aclimatise to the hotter weather

Also get to the start early and if possible find some shade amd stick in it as long as possible "

All of these. Thinking back to Rotterdam 2007 when the weather changed from 0 to 30C in one week, I said before the start “death or glory”. In the shape of my life and chasing sub 2:45 for the first time...death would have been preferable at 20 miles...but I finished and ran all the way. Start slowly, keep hydrated, and watch the others fall off the road...good luck!

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Todays run....got out for a run at 2, jeeese it was warm, found it a lot harder than when there was frost on the ground! Ran in just a t-shirt and leggings but think i may opt for shorts and a thong hopefully this will clear up the sweaty arse crack didn't do my best effort or time and at one point i was wondering why the hell I'm doing this but ran/jogged and walked the course twice, 6.9k oh and halfway round i got a banging headache that i haven't been able to shift all day cracked on and mowed the lawn that was starting to resemble the jungle! And spent waaay to much at my favourite shop, go outdoors. Finally sat down to chill at 8pm

That was a busy day! I skipped going for a run on Tuesday eve and mowed the lawn with over a foot high grass in places! It enabled me to go for a run last night which was very warm, very windy too and for once I was glad of wind to cool me down a little

Is “mowing the lawn” a euphemism? "

If only!

over a year ago

Is “mowing the lawn” a euphemism? "

Sadly no, I have that to look forward to if i ever get a meet

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

I'm an evening runner, and not a morning person. It's enough of a struggle to get to work on time (and parkrun on a Saturday!)

Snap. Am still in shock as making just one parkrun "

How the heck I've done over 100 parkruns I have no idea.

Are you feeling better Harry?

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I went for a bike ride last night and did circuits this morning. "

It's only just gone 8am and you have already done circuits

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Week six, run2 done! That was hard work I'm not sure if it was the heat or the fact that I switched from pavement to grass but my shins are killing..see how I feel on Saturday for the final run of week 6.

Blue x

over a year ago

"Week six, run2 done! That was hard work I'm not sure if it was the heat or the fact that I switched from pavement to grass but my shins are killing..see how I feel on Saturday for the final run of week 6.

Blue x

"

Woohoo go you

I've found it harder in the heat. I would've thought your shins would hurt more on pavement but they might hurt more because the grass would be uneven? Or i could just be talking bollox

Well done on your run

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"Week six, run2 done! That was hard work I'm not sure if it was the heat or the fact that I switched from pavement to grass but my shins are killing..see how I feel on Saturday for the final run of week 6.

Blue x

Woohoo go you

I've found it harder in the heat. I would've thought your shins would hurt more on pavement but they might hurt more because the grass would be uneven? Or i could just be talking bollox

Well done on your run "

I don't understand it either

Thanks for the support

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

Are you feeling better Harry?"

Over 100 - wow! I have a long way to go to catch up.

Finally feeling better healthwise but now not permitted to do any vigorous exercise including running (I fear sex also comes under this heading) for at least a week possible a lot longer!

I have in other news finally tipped under 11 stone for the first time since I kept an excel spreadsheet (23 10 16) Not sure this is due to drinking less beer whilst poorly and not in the mood for beer or women! The 3 runs I have done or the fact I have skipped dinner and lunch this week a few times as so busy with so little time.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"HOT WEATHER TIPS.

Hydration

Minimal clothing

Wicking fabrics

Not over doing it

Eye shade...

Are you feeling better Harry?

Over 100 - wow! I have a long way to go to catch up.

Finally feeling better healthwise but now not permitted to do any vigorous exercise including running (I fear sex also comes under this heading) for at least a week possible a lot longer!

I have in other news finally tipped under 11 stone for the first time since I kept an excel spreadsheet (23 10 16) Not sure this is due to drinking less beer whilst poorly and not in the mood for beer or women! The 3 runs I have done or the fact I have skipped dinner and lunch this week a few times as so busy with so little time."

I have been doing parkruns for a very long time though - many of the people that did the same first parkrun as me are on at least 250!

If it's for your health, you need to follow doctors orders. However, I'm sure sex is not completely out the picture - you could lay back and let them do all the work!

Losing weight that way is bad - trust me! You need to eat x

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Blue x

Woohoo go you

Well done on your run

Thanks for the support "

Well done on the run. Sometimes off road can be just as hard as pavements (frozen ground/dry ground). You will also find that your feet move about a bit more, especially if it is muddy, so that could be causing your legs to jar. Are you using trail shoes or road shoes?

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Blue x

"

You could be doing too much too soon ( a common mistake, as everyone wants to go from couch to 5k in a week) and calf muscles haven't built up to protect the shins or wrong type of footwear not giving the right support

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

Blue x

You could be doing too much too soon ( a common mistake, as everyone wants to go from couch to 5k in a week) and calf muscles haven't built up to protect the shins or wrong type of footwear not giving the right support "

Different stresses on the legs too, and you’re not used to it...off road is good for building stability in lateral movement (rolling ankles slightly etc)

over a year ago

Blue x

Woohoo go you

Well done on your run

Thanks for the support

Well done on the run. Sometimes off road can be just as hard as pavements (frozen ground/dry ground). You will also find that your feet move about a bit more, especially if it is muddy, so that could be causing your legs to jar. Are you using trail shoes or road shoes?"

I bought trail shoes

over a year ago

"I went for a bike ride last night and did circuits this morning.

It's only just gone 8am and you have already done circuits "

Yeah 6.15 start x

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I went for a bike ride last night and did circuits this morning.

It's only just gone 8am and you have already done circuits

Yeah 6.15 start x

"

There are two 6:15's in a day?

I don't do mornings. I was even sacked from my paper round when I was a kid for always being late!

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Blue x

Woohoo go you

Well done on your run

Thanks for the support

Well done on the run. Sometimes off road can be just as hard as pavements (frozen ground/dry ground). You will also find that your feet move about a bit more, especially if it is muddy, so that could be causing your legs to jar. Are you using trail shoes or road shoes?"

Ermmm,.....they are blue ones

I think I might need to get some better equipment

over a year ago

Went out again this morning. 2nd run where GPS didn't work on my phone, so don't know how I did

May have to invest in one of those watches. Any recommendations?

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"

I have been doing parkruns for a very long time though - many of the people that did the same first parkrun as me are on at least 250!

If it's for your health, you need to follow doctors orders. However, I'm sure sex is not completely out the picture - you could lay back and let them do all the work!

Losing weight that way is bad - trust me! You need to eat x"

Am so out of practice laying back and letting them do all the work may be the only option anyway

Trust me the not eating is definitely due to time constraints and not dieting attempts.

Love that you are like me in being a late morning person

Weirdly I am awake at 0711 and as am at a friends am looking up the possibility of walking to his local parkrun just to get a second one under my belt.

over a year ago

"Went out again this morning. 2nd run where GPS didn't work on my phone, so don't know how I did

May have to invest in one of those watches. Any recommendations? "

All depends on how much you want to spend, and how much functionality you want. I use Garmin, there range goes from £90 up to about £700. There's a good comparison website here https://www.techradar.com/news/best-garmin-running-watches

Also Google dcrainmaker he does extensive reviews and is a goto site for information .

over a year ago

"

Am so out of practice laying back and letting them do all the work may be the only option anyway

Trust me the not eating is definitely due to time constraints and not dieting attempts.

Weirdly I am awake at 0711 and as am at a friends am looking up the possibility of walking to his local parkrun just to get a second one under my belt.

"

Go for it Harry, get out there and run it!

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

"

Always make time to eat! Batch cook and put in the freezer. There is no job where you should work through your lunch break (for starters, it's illegal).

Go for it! Have fun

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

After the initial excitement I realised I don't have my barcode so it wouldn't record. Plus my friend wasn't awake so couldn't leave.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"After the initial excitement I realised I don't have my barcode so it wouldn't record. Plus my friend wasn't awake so couldn't leave.

"

It must be a day for forgetting barcodes because I did too. I did, however, still ran it!

over a year ago

Ran my local one today for the first time. I did remember my barcode though!

over a year ago

I've decided I'll never wake up early enough so don't need a barcode

Ran, jogged and walked today, 6.8k. Still have to walk in places and want to give up till I've finished then think what was all the fuss about breathing and lead legs lol

Time to chill in the garden

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Local parkrun done this morning, easy pace to save the legs for a half marathon tomorrow, what a lovely morning, a long time from a sunny parkrun

over a year ago

Parkrun for me this morning, a leisurely one after last weeks marathon. So nice to run in nice weather, in the last 5 weeks, I've had this mornings heat, knee deep flooding and snow!

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Local parkrun done this morning, easy pace to save the legs for a half marathon tomorrow, what a lovely morning, a long time from a sunny parkrun "

We were commenting on this at our parkrun this morning - a month ago we were running in the snow, this week it's a heatwave!

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Ran my local one today for the first time. I did remember my barcode though!"

Well done!

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

"Local parkrun done this morning, easy pace to save the legs for a half marathon tomorrow, what a lovely morning, a long time from a sunny parkrun

We were commenting on this at our parkrun this morning - a month ago we were running in the snow, this week it's a heatwave!"

It's crazy, parkruns were cancelled because of the weather a month ago. Boston was the coldest in over 30 years and London is looking like one of the warmest.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Local parkrun done this morning, easy pace to save the legs for a half marathon tomorrow, what a lovely morning, a long time from a sunny parkrun

We were commenting on this at our parkrun this morning - a month ago we were running in the snow, this week it's a heatwave!

It's crazy, parkruns were cancelled because of the weather a month ago. Boston was the coldest in over 30 years and London is looking like one of the warmest."

Global warming...

It's going to mess the whole status quo up - and we need to get used to more rain

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"After the initial excitement I realised I don't have my barcode so it wouldn't record. Plus my friend wasn't awake so couldn't leave.

It must be a day for forgetting barcodes because I did too. I did, however, still ran it!"

Well done. I didn't forget mine as I was never intending to go in the first place lol

over a year ago

"Local parkrun done this morning, easy pace to save the legs for a half marathon tomorrow, what a lovely morning, a long time from a sunny parkrun "

Good luck for tomorrow

over a year ago

The Running Bug had an interesting article yesterday - peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches are actually a suitable choice for fuelling longer runs - when compared to the energy bars you can buy to eat.

I’ve never tried this combo - anyone given it a go?

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"I've decided I'll never wake up early enough so don't need a barcode

Ran, jogged and walked today, 6.8k. Still have to walk in places and want to give up till I've finished then think what was all the fuss about breathing and lead legs lol

Time to chill in the garden "

Well done enjoy your chill time

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Blister advice please??

I've been out today on a rather long walk and have a blister on my left heel now. I have a run scheduled for the morning.

The question is do I pop or not pop?

Blue x

over a year ago

"Blister advice please??

I've been out today on a rather long walk and have a blister on my left heel now. I have a run scheduled for the morning.

Blue x "

Only pop if it is likely to cause a lot of issues - sensibly plastered and leave it be is the best way

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"The Running Bug had an interesting article yesterday - peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches are actually a suitable choice for fuelling longer runs - when compared to the energy bars you can buy to eat.

I’ve never tried this combo - anyone given it a go?"

I've heard of it before, but never tried it. I'm thinking it would get a bit squashed in whatever bag you carry it in. And peanut butter would mean lots of water!

over a year ago

"Blister advice please??

Blue x "

Drain it if you can using a needle.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Blister advice please??

Blue x "

Do not pop. Put a blister plaster over the top of it and it should be fine for your run (unless you are doing a long run).

over a year ago

"The Running Bug had an interesting article yesterday - peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches are actually a suitable choice for fuelling longer runs - when compared to the energy bars you can buy to eat.

I’ve never tried this combo - anyone given it a go?"

I often used to have this as a post-run snack, before I cut out bread. Is a good carb/protein mix if that's your thing. Should work well during a long run too, but as previously mentioned, might get squished!

over a year ago

"Blister advice please??

Blue x "

I would pop with a sterile needle, drain and cover with a good plaster.

over a year ago

I often used to have this as a post-run snack, before I cut out bread. Is a good carb/protein mix if that's your thing. Should work well during a long run too, but as previously mentioned, might get squished! "

I might try it tomorrow. 22 miles will leave me peckish

over a year ago

I often used to have this as a post-run snack, before I cut out bread. Is a good carb/protein mix if that's your thing. Should work well during a long run too, but as previously mentioned, might get squished!

I might try it tomorrow. 22 miles will leave me peckish "

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I've heard of it before, but never tried it. I'm thinking it would get a bit squashed in whatever bag you carry it in. And peanut butter would mean lots of water!"

I find peanut butter to heavy for in run fuelling ..or pre run, post run..bring it on, long bike ride at steady pace likewise. The only time i ever nearly hurled during a spin class was after PBJ & since I was teaching...not a good outcome. So experiment & see if your gut will tolerate, mine won't. Bananas all the way pre run, water during, maybe a gel (hate them but they work) on anything over 90 minutes.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

I might try it tomorrow. 22 miles will leave me peckish "

Let us know how it goes! Both the run and the food!

I have been told that jaffa cakes are good on a long run...

over a year ago

I have been told that jaffa cakes are good on a long run..."

Hmm - I’m gonna need a bigger bag

By *elfastblondMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Good luck for tomorrow "

Thank you xx

over a year ago

Hmm - I’m gonna need a bigger bag "

Jaffa cakes were a good call during the race

22 hot and hilly miles but glorious out in the country

Hot shower and then it’s peanut butter jelly time

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Hot shower and then it’s peanut butter jelly time "

Well done, I didn't realise it was a race you were doing, just a long run.

You have been told not to do anything new during a race, haven't you?

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Well that's me all done with week 6. Tough in parts but I got through it. Onwards to week 7!

I went with the non popping advice for the blister all seems well.

over a year ago

Hot shower and then it’s peanut butter jelly time "

I did 18 hot training miles, followed by a can of Kronenbourg. Works for me!!

over a year ago

"Well that's me all done with week 6. Tough in parts but I got through it. Onwards to week 7!

"

Well done, onwards now!

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"Well that's me all done with week 6. Tough in parts but I got through it. Onwards to week 7!

Well done, onwards now!"

over a year ago

Hot shower and then it’s peanut butter jelly time

Well done, I didn't realise it was a race you were doing, just a long run.

You have been told not to do anything new during a race, haven't you?"

It wasn’t a race - I wrote that in a post run stupor

Completely missed that I’d put race

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"

Well done

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD...

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/750206

Post new Message to Thread