Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

another con

Jump to newest

By *rincessvenus OP   Couple
over a year ago

Hull

so they want us to pay a deposit on cans and drink bottles along with bags at 5 and 10 p decimalisation and council tax hyke who do they think they are kidding

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"so they want us to pay a deposit on cans and drink bottles along with bags at 5 and 10 p decimalisation and council tax hyke who do they think they are kidding"

Eh? What’s the problem?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"so they want us to pay a deposit on cans and drink bottles along with bags at 5 and 10 p decimalisation and council tax hyke who do they think they are kidding

Eh? What’s the problem?"

Agreed, don't see it as a bad thing if it makes more people recycle. We do it as our council is really good and give us the tools to do it. Would have no issue paying more and getting back.

over a year ago

I haven't heard about this. Plastic is actually a bigger problem, due to the volume of one use plastic that gets thrown away. X

By *appy squirrelWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

there are other countries where you return all your bottles and get some money back for years... works well and I can't really see the issue. especially if you see all the plastic that's being used and dumped just because its so cheap and easy to get more...

By *uciyassMan
over a year ago

sheffield

So the plan is to introduce bottle return machines around the country where you returns your recycle bottles and get so much pence back. I didn’t see anywhere where thier would be a charge added to the rsp but so what if thier is. It’s our environment we are ruining

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"so they want us to pay a deposit on cans and drink bottles along with bags at 5 and 10 p decimalisation and council tax hyke who do they think they are kidding"
I'm with everyone else on this . It's a bloody good thing and I'll happily pay a few pennies more .

over a year ago

"there are other countries where you return all your bottles and get some money back for years... works well and I can't really see the issue. especially if you see all the plastic that's being used and dumped just because its so cheap and easy to get more..."

Worked well in my childhood. Got most of my sweets taking back a bottle of bru x

over a year ago

I remember taking bottles back to my local shop and the pop man collecting old as he delivers new, I don’t see an issue with this and will happily go along with this method

over a year ago

no idea why you think its a bad idea..at least it's a simple way of encouraging recycling...if you go to other countries, many have had this system for decades..it worked fine when we had it here years ago as well.

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Na, let's keep fecking up the planet instead.

By *hototed54Man
over a year ago

leeds/ morley/tingley/ middleton

Don’t know about everyone else but all my recyclables go in my green bin and the council is supposed to recycle them, but my friend who works for the council told me that about 50% of it gets tipped in with the general waste anyway which go to landfill or for incarceration because the council won’t pay people to sort it, he says it’s a scam and the idea is to save the council having to collect it and save them millions, it’s all about the money.

over a year ago

Just another way of avoiding the main issue and not putting the appropriate pressure on industry to reduce the plastic and the packaging on products. It's easy to tax a the 5p on everything you buy so they get more money to pay all the miss management of funds. It's not right.

Have you seen how large the packaging is for small items that come from Amazon or the worst are pharmaceutical companies that put 12 tablets inside a box that could hold 120 in the current form or if repackaged could probably hold 500 tablets. Multiply that by billions and not only does one reduce waste but also handling cost and transportation. That just one example...but it's often the simple examples that are ignored because there isn't any money to be made by either administering it or by cutting back. So instead of that we'll continue increasing our plastic waste but make the public pay for it.

Theres a great scheme it saw on TV a few months ago in the north of England with some shops and restaurants but cannot remember where but they offer free tap water... bring your bottle and they'll fill it FOC. Thought it was a great idea. Those that want bottled can buy it but those who are happy with tap water can have it FOC to take with them.

over a year ago

I can't see a problem with it.

Germany do this quite happily. The pfand system works pretty well.

I've thought Great Britain should have introduced this a long time ago. It just makes sense.

Reduce, reuse, recycle

over a year ago

I"ve been to festivals and gigs in France and they use recyclable cups other there with a refundable deposit and machines to collect them. The difference in rubbish generated is huge and is obviously something that could be learnt from and easily introduced here

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

We used to pay deposits on bottles in the 70s. Never a problem.

Ironic that the people complaining about this stuff will likely be the people who also claim to want to 'take back control' and take us back to how it used to be.

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

"so they want us to pay a deposit on cans and drink bottles along with bags at 5 and 10 p decimalisation and council tax hyke who do they think they are kidding

Just another way of avoiding the main issue and not putting the appropriate pressure on industry to reduce the plastic and the packaging on products. It's easy to tax a the 5p on everything you buy so they get more money to pay all the miss management of funds. It's not right.

Have you seen how large the packaging is for small items that come from Amazon or the worst are pharmaceutical companies that put 12 tablets inside a box that could hold 120 in the current form or if repackaged could probably hold 500 tablets. Multiply that by billions and not only does one reduce waste but also handling cost and transportation. That just one example...but it's often the simple examples that are ignored because there isn't any money to be made by either administering it or by cutting back. So instead of that we'll continue increasing our plastic waste but make the public pay for it.

Theres a great scheme it saw on TV a few months ago in the north of England with some shops and restaurants but cannot remember where but they offer free tap water... bring your bottle and they'll fill it FOC. Thought it was a great idea. Those that want bottled can buy it but those who are happy with tap water can have it FOC to take with them."

All fair points. But any solution has to cover end users AND manufacturers. Users need to be incentivised to recognise their waste habits, and manufacturers need to be pressurised to back off all the damned packaging.

By the way, have you bought a cake in Costa to take out? It takes them half an hour* to wrap the bloody thing up.

*Exaggeration for dramatic effect

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Why they aren't doing something similar on takeaway coffees, teas and soft drinks is beyond me.

over a year ago

In Canada my aunt was saying that this kind of recycling has helped fund people through uni. Not sure if it still happens but one of her friends daughters used to go round collecting people bottles and cans to take back and saved up the money.

over a year ago

I don't see a problem with this. When I was a kid I would collect the bottles and cans from our house and bring them to get deposited. My parents would let me keep the money and it was great.

I'm not convinced it will be productive in limiting plastic use, though. It never stopped us or anyone I knew. I guess it probably increased recycling, although we would have recycled the bottles and cans anyway. I think people need to look at regulating manufacturers. Until then we're just playing a game of catch-up.

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

I think Newsthump has nailed this

'People who don’t think twice about paying £1.50 for a bottle of water that would have cost them a fraction of a penny if it came from their tap, are today losing their shit at plans to charge them ten pence for the bottle it comes in.

over a year ago

You dont have to pay for a bag if you use your own..

And even if you do the money raised often goes to charity..

And why not pay a deposit on cans and bottles if it encourages people to return them to the vendor?

I dont see that as a problem tbh

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

"Don’t know about everyone else but all my recyclables go in my green bin and the council is supposed to recycle them, but my friend who works for the council told me that about 50% of it gets tipped in with the general waste anyway which go to landfill or for incarceration because the council won’t pay people to sort it, he says it’s a scam and the idea is to save the council having to collect it and save them millions, it’s all about the money."

Sadly this is probably very accurate.

When I used to live in Nottingham my house was very close to the incinerator which supplied district heating to a the flats above the shopping centre and an inner city district. Living on narrow Victorian terraced streets with no gardens, we would all leave our bins on the pavement outside the house. On a regular basis we would see bin collections made on random days of the week, where they would empty both bins into the the same vehicle. Some weeks, particularly in cold weather, our bins would be emptied 2 or 3 times! The only plausible explanation that we could come up with was that they hadn’t got enough fuel to burn to keep the St Ann’s district heating working

over a year ago

"Why they aren't doing something similar on takeaway coffees, teas and soft drinks is beyond me. "

Takeout coffee cups can't be recycled.

over a year ago

It's just a fid raising mechanism. Those who thinks it's ok have you thought of the long term issues. Like car tax... its no longer called road tax. The motorist through car tax funds 4x the revenue that is used on the road network system. (Facts produced by AA -2016) That's has increased considerably with the new increases we've seen this year in car tax.

It will only give way to more money being taken from you. The answer is with the manufactures.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"It's just a fid raising mechanism. Those who thinks it's ok have you thought of the long term issues. Like car tax... its no longer called road tax. The motorist through car tax funds 4x the revenue that is used on the road network system. (Facts produced by AA -2016) That's has increased considerably with the new increases we've seen this year in car tax.

It will only give way to more money being taken from you. The answer is with the manufactures. "

Sanity is so attractive

over a year ago

As it's a deposit you get it back so i don't see the problem. Kf this stops people blighting the countryside with their empties this can only be a good thing.

The only question is why they didn't do this ages ago.

over a year ago

Used to take my granddads beer bottles back for pocket money

over a year ago

"Used to take my granddads beer bottles back for pocket money "

Yep, this is going back a fair while but we used to have a flat bed lorry come to our street each week stacked with plastic crates full of glass bottles of fizzy pop. Barr was the company and they'd sell jusoda (orange), cola, dandelion and burdock etc. I used to take the empties back and that was my weekly pocket money. Happy days.

Post new Message to Thread