FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you bury your head in the sand when it comes to medical screenings/tests?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I tend to go to all mine even though I worry about waiting for results but my best friend who is female has never been for any screening as yet and she has three she is eligible for. I believe there are folk too frightened to go for them or ones who simply don't want to know.

What do others do?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I tend to go to all mine even though I worry about waiting for results but my best friend who is female has never been for any screening as yet and she has three she is eligible for. I believe there are folk too frightened to go for them or ones who simply don't want to know.

What do others do?"

This is the female half of the couple btw!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I go to all mine and am at ease being intimately examined or whatever by male or female staff.

After years of being seen by numerous clinicians it's no big deal to me. They are for my benefit and I'm grateful for them.

over a year ago

I nag my daughters to go to their cervical screenings.

over a year ago

I don't go for breast screening x x

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I always go , if there ever was something wrong it would be best to know asap, I've had a couple of scares already.

over a year ago

Pants down I'd rather know !

over a year ago

Mines stupidly buried I’ve had a “issue” for about 5 years and I’ve not got checked which is stupid but I need to get myself booked in at the docs

over a year ago

I never turn down an invite for medical screening.

Not painful, not embarrassing and there is simply no excuse not to.

over a year ago

"Mines stupidly buried I’ve had a “issue” for about 5 years and I’ve not got checked which is stupid but I need to get myself booked in at the docs"

What you waiting for go get sorted mate!

over a year ago

I go to every single one. My Mum & Dad have both had cancer, which was caught through early screenings.

By *ambslass48Woman
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I tend to go to all mine even though I worry about waiting for results but my best friend who is female has never been for any screening as yet and she has three she is eligible for. I believe there are folk too frightened to go for them or ones who simply don't want to know.

What do others do?"

I go and had to have early mammograms as my mum had breast cancer. Saved my life as i had a stage 4 grade 4 tumour about to spread. I'm a survivor

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/03/18 18:25:13]

over a year ago

What do others do?

I go and had to have early mammograms as my mum had breast cancer. Saved my life as i had a stage 4 grade 4 tumour about to spread. I'm a survivor"

No your not your a winner!! well done you x

over a year ago

Yes i go to mine...

Better to be safe than sorry

over a year ago

I'm not old enough to have ever been offered medical screenings. But I phone the GP if I have any medical issues or if something seems unusual.

I get regularly checked at the sexual health clinic as well.

Going doesn't bother me. Getting results does. But not had any issues.

~Mia

By *arpePinguisWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I put off my smear for far too long, eventually got my mum to go with me! Turned out MUCH faster and less hassle than my Mirena coil fittings I've cheerfully done 3 times. Did laugh at my recent STI checkups as the doctor said she so rarely dealt with natural pubic hair she kept apologising for catching it as she worked

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I have monthly blood tests done as I'm at high risk of DVTs.

Due to my children's medical issues, we're at the hospital every 6wks for other tests.

Get my sexual health checks done like clockwork.

The NHS is a wonderful thing, we don't have to pay for this treatment, anyone who doesn't get certain checks done regularly is mad IMO

over a year ago

I only missed one mammogram ( my mum was dying at the time). The following year I found a lump and was diagnosed with cancer. 7 years later thanks to the nhs I am still here. I would advise everyone ( male and female) to have all medical checks done.

over a year ago

"I don't go for breast screening x x"

You really should....

over a year ago

I agree a meet, then fail to turn up.

It's the fab way

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Back away slowly

over a year ago

Yes I go for all of mine, I have to have 6 monthly blood checks for cancer so I’m always happy to have them done x

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

I’m not great to be honest.

As a survivor of cervical cancer I should be better about going for my smear but I have a phobia about them. Even just thinking about it gets me anxious, let alone booking the appointment and going. Last time I needed a mild sedative and hubby holding my hand to get me in there.

I received my reminder letter just the other day and I want to to just hide it away and forget about it but hubby won’t let me

over a year ago

"I’m not great to be honest.

As a survivor of cervical cancer I should be better about going for my smear but I have a phobia about them. Even just thinking about it gets me anxious, let alone booking the appointment and going. Last time I needed a mild sedative and hubby holding my hand to get me in there.

I received my reminder letter just the other day and I want to to just hide it away and forget about it but hubby won’t let me"

Your hubby is right to not let you forget always go for your screenings you just never know if you have to have a mild sedative then do it don’t ever neglect yourself it’s two minutes of embarrassment for what could be a life changing event

over a year ago

"I’m not great to be honest.

I received my reminder letter just the other day and I want to to just hide it away and forget about it but hubby won’t let me

Your hubby is right to not let you forget always go for your screenings you just never know if you have to have a mild sedative then do it don’t ever neglect yourself it’s two minutes of embarrassment for what could be a life changing event

"

Sorry didn’t read the first bit, I get that you would be petrified but you know that early intervention and detection is utterly important and well done for kicking cancers arse

over a year ago

I do generally yes. I have a 5 yearly 'camera job' that fills me with dread but i wouldnt not go.

over a year ago

Ive had 4 kids - screening is minimally intrusive compared to a pair of hands trying to take blood out of a babys head whilst its still inside you or ease a set of shoulders out of you with an array of onlookers waiting to act, on that basis I'd be a bit of a fool not to get myself checked regularly!

over a year ago

They are so important and i go to all i need to. My mum would still be with us if she hadnt ignored getting her smear test. She was diagnosed stage 3 cervical cancer and lost her battle 9months later. Its so important to get checked and catch any abnormalities early and get it sorted.

I now encourage (but they say nag) anyone whose due to get checked, to make sure they do.

Poppy

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

I go for whatever I have to. Currently being poked, prodded & tested for various issues.

I’ve had numerous cases of pre-cancerous cells so have 6 monthly smears.

Frank is nearly 12 months in remission for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

For a few minutes inconvenience it’s worth making sure you’re ok.

B x

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Not a medical as such.

But I ignored a lump for 3 months before I went to the Dr. That was on a Saturday, saw the surgeon on the Thursday, in hospital having the operation to remove a testicle that had cancer on it.

I was lucky, someone else might not be.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I knew a colleague at work some 10 years ago who'd permanent groin pains but put off for ages going to his GP. Plus we also told him to get himself checked!

He collapsed at work one day & ended up in hospital. Five days later he was told he'd testicular cancer with less than 6 months to live; he died a month later. All because if he'd seen his Doc earlier, he'd have been alive today!

Guys just don't get the message to get yourself checked!

over a year ago

I'm a shite bag

over a year ago

Just been for my 1st mammogram not as bad as I thought , few mins of discomfort that's all .

Got results back all ok under a week later .

3 years till next one now .

Do it ladies , what's 10 mins out your day to get it done .

Post new Message to Thread