Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Classical Fab Hall of Fame

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Morning everyone. I am a great lover of classical music. This weekend sees this years Classic FM 2018 Hall of Fame announced. A feast of the world's greatest loved classical pieces voted by the public.

With this in mind, i was wondering; what is your all time, most favoured classical piece of music?

I hear some say, i don't know any! Or maybe you don't like classical. Well, most of us will unknowingly know classical music in some shape or form...maybe its something modern like Ludovico Einaudi or maybe its that tune from the movie Platoon (Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings) or that wonderful classical guitar and the theme to the Deer Hunter( Myers' Cavatina). Whether you know it from the silver screen, an advert, radio or are a big fan. I want to hear your favourites and if you want to add why, that would be even better. Music evokes strong and deep feelings in us all, so there's always a why. So let's be having your classical side today folks. I hope you enjoy listening to all the suggestions

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

N° 5 symphony by the grand master, beethoven. Can't go wrong there!

over a year ago

It's a classic alright! So vibrant

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

So hard to pin point one, as they suit so many different moods.

The orchestration to Les Miserables when heard live is incredible.

I'm going to see Andre Rieu in Maastricht this summer, maybe not for the purists but fantastic at bringing classical music to a new audience.

over a year ago

"Morning everyone. I am a great lover of classical music. This weekend sees this years Classic FM 2018 Hall of Fame announced. A feast of the world's greatest loved classical pieces voted by the public.

With this in mind, i was wondering; what is your all time, most favoured classical piece of music?

I hear some say, i don't know any! Or maybe you don't like classical. Well, most of us will unknowingly know classical music in some shape or form...maybe its something modern like Ludovico Einaudi or maybe its that tune from the movie Platoon (Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings) or that wonderful classical guitar and the theme to the Deer Hunter( Myers' Cavatina). Whether you know it from the silver screen, an advert, radio or are a big fan. I want to hear your favourites and if you want to add why, that would be even better. Music evokes strong and deep feelings in us all, so there's always a why. So let's be having your classical side today folks. I hope you enjoy listening to all the suggestions "

Vivaldi - Winter, Largo

Played it to soothe my youngest baby. Ended up playing on repeat, love it more each time I hear it. Want it played as I walk down the aisle too.

I also love Franz Gruber - Stille Nacht for the same reason

over a year ago

I shoukd add the version of stille nacht with the harps and sopranos singing it

over a year ago

I'm going to enjoy this thread. Beautiful choices guys.

over a year ago

One of my all time favourites is Smetana's Má Vlast. I remember listening to this in music class in 1st year. My teacher was class and this is the first time i recall really listening to the music and recognising the story and the flow of the piece. I was lucky enough to see the City of Prague Philharmonic in Prague perform this. It was amazing to hear this live. I urge anyone to go and hear a live orchestra. It's a remarkable experience

By *aul DeUther-OneMan
over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

The vocal from Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 "Ode to Joy" - an excellent pick-me-up if you're feeling a bit down.

By *aul DeUther-OneMan
over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

The vocal from Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 "Ode to Joy" - an excellent pick-me-up if you're feeling a bit down.

over a year ago

A trumpet voluntary...I used to listen to that with my dad when I was little x

over a year ago

Danse Macabre is one of my favourite pieces of classical music. Its also used as the theme for tv show Jonathon Creek. From the discordant start to the whirling theme building til the dawn breaks... ahhh a fabulous piece

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Mozart’s Requiem - music simply doesn’t get any better.

Also, less well known but as vocally puissant as the aforementioned - Bruckner’s, Te Deum; An absolute masterpiece!

over a year ago

"One of my all time favourites is Smetana's Má Vlast. I remember listening to this in music class in 1st year. My teacher was class and this is the first time i recall really listening to the music and recognising the story and the flow of the piece. I was lucky enough to see the City of Prague Philharmonic in Prague perform this. It was amazing to hear this live. I urge anyone to go and hear a live orchestra. It's a remarkable experience "

Id never heard it til u mentioned it but Im playing it now. The only smetana piece I know is Vltava from my music days. Its a very nice piece

over a year ago

Listening to Bruckner now, hadn't come across this before...its really stirring. Liking this.

over a year ago

One of the most beautiful pieces of music. Get lost in this one folks...

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana

over a year ago

Allegri - Miseriere (think thats how its spelt)

Satie - Gynopedie 1 2 and 3

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

Cant decide between them.

over a year ago

Barbers Adagio for strings is mine.

Few bits of opera I also like, Nessun Dorma always makes my hair stand on end.

over a year ago

"Allegri - Miseriere (think thats how its spelt)

Cant decide between them."

You don't have to bud. I can't choose one either! There are so many for every occasion and mood. It's impossible to put my finger on one.

Listening to Debussy's Clair de Lune at the minute. Just want to be transported to a rocking chair on a porch overlooking a tranquil lake and just watch the day go by!

over a year ago

You don't have to bud. I can't choose one either! There are so many for every occasion and mood. It's impossible to put my finger on one.

Listening to Debussy's Clair de Lune at the minute. Just want to be transported to a rocking chair on a porch overlooking a tranquil lake and just watch the day go by! "

That was my mums favourite, i always take a moment to remember her and reflect when i hear that one.

over a year ago

Listening to Debussy's Clair de Lune at the minute. Just want to be transported to a rocking chair on a porch overlooking a tranquil lake and just watch the day go by!

That was my mums favourite, i always take a moment to remember her and reflect when i hear that one."

Your mum had wonderful taste Ratty. It's beautiful that music can be timeless, just like your reflections i am sure. May those reflections and moments bring a smile to you for many more years to come.

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

Between Scylla and Charybdis

The Flower Duet from Lakme by Delibes. Such a beautiful composition.

over a year ago

That was my mums favourite, i always take a moment to remember her and reflect when i hear that one.

Your mum had wonderful taste Ratty. It's beautiful that music can be timeless, just like your reflections i am sure. May those reflections and moments bring a smile to you for many more years to come. "

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

Also Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland. That always gives me goosebumps.

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

"Listening to Debussy's Clair de Lune at the minute. Just want to be transported to a rocking chair on a porch overlooking a tranquil lake and just watch the day go by! "

I love Debussy. Clair de Lune is beautiful but my favourite composition of his is Nuages from the Trois Nocturnes.

over a year ago

"The Flower Duet from Lakme by Delibes. Such a beautiful composition."

Agreed!! Beautiful.

over a year ago

I'm enjoying a lovely afternoon now

over a year ago

Vaughan Williams

The Lark ascending has very special meaning for me

over a year ago

"Vaughan Williams

The Lark ascending has very special meaning for me "

That was last years no.1. It's awesome.

over a year ago

Wonder if this afternoon and evening will bring more Classical fans out if the woodwork?

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

There are lots of pieces I like - most of them the well known ones but to name a few:

Planet Suite - Holst

Ride Of The Valkyries - Wagner

Nimrod - Elgar (moves me to tears every Rememberance Sunday)

1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky

And numerous others - I find classical music to be very moving and emotional possibly more so than more contemporary music

over a year ago

You're not wrong. Those are classic pieces.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Beethoven - Missa Solemnis

Shostakovich - Symphony No. 7

Malcolm Arnold - Symphony No. 5

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

So many to choose...lots that have already been mentioned, but also

Emperor

Coronation Anthems

The Armed Man

The Swan

The Lark Ascending

Bruch's Violin Concerto #1

Saint-Saëns' Organ Symphony #3

John Williams: film scores

I could go on..

OP..thank you for this lovely thread...and yes, I love listening to Classic FM

over a year ago

Le onde by ludovico einaudi

Although a lot of his songs are very good. Fast forward a century and they will be held in very high esteem.

By *callycatMan
over a year ago

Mid Wales

The Armed Man by our greatest living Welsh composer Karl Jenkins is just beautiful...especially the Benedictus.

In Trutina, the soprano solo from Carmina Burana is breathtaking too.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"The Armed Man by our greatest living Welsh composer Karl Jenkins is just beautiful...especially the Benedictus.

In Trutina, the soprano solo from Carmina Burana is breathtaking too.

"

Gloria - The Prayer: Laudamus te

wonderful melody with gloriously rich harmonies.

Post new Message to Thread