Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental health awareness

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Not sure if theres been a mental health thread recently.

If anyone wants to share or pass on tips then feel free to use this thread. Its not just for depression but any mental illness. Alwo for those that dont understand mental illness but would like an incite.

Im bipolar type 1 with psycosis

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depression, anxiety, and they ‘aren’t ruling out’ bipolar. Following this threat x

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think being by the seaside is calming.

over a year ago

"Depression, anxiety, and they ‘aren’t ruling out’ bipolar. Following this threat x"
are you getting support?

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

I have Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder... medicated stable.

When i find myself slipping either into depression or towards mania i take myself away from all this as i dont feel its helpful.

over a year ago

Depression anxiety cause by personal stuff yep got so stressed loss my long hair within 2 weeks idea was to go old a grey with it but instead of no haircuts not it's about not shaving the beard sounds silly but little things get you through it and good people on your side

over a year ago

just got anti depressants for the first time this week. should have done it 20 years ago. recent lesson? go to the docs about ur depression or whatever, whether you are having a bad spell or not.

over a year ago

"just got anti depressants for the first time this week. should have done it 20 years ago. recent lesson? go to the docs about ur depression or whatever, whether you are having a bad spell or not."
glad to here your getting sorted at last

By *ubiousOatcakeMan
over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

I was on meds for three years for depression and anxiety. I now keep it at bay with a few techniques. It’ll only be a matter of time before I’m back on medication, but hopefully we’re talking a good few years away.

The biggest help is talking about it. I’ve now spoken about mine so much, to so many different people, that I feel like I’ve got more control of it than it has of me.

And that’s the thing to remember; your mental illness doesn’t define you. I used to make that mistake. Now I know it’s just a thing that happens to my brain.

Like I say, I’ve spoken about it to a lot of people, including formally at work. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

over a year ago

"Depression, anxiety, and they ‘aren’t ruling out’ bipolar. Following this threat xare you getting support?"

Somewhat, yes. I’m on antidepressants, and I used to see a therapist. I’ve been mostly fine for the past six or so months, but I think it’s time to go back to the doctors. Husband supports me massively

over a year ago

Suffer with recurring depression and have been put on medication twice but haven’t had to take any since 2015 as self manageable at the moment.

over a year ago

"Depression, anxiety, and they ‘aren’t ruling out’ bipolar. Following this threat xare you getting support?

Somewhat, yes. I’m on antidepressants, and I used to see a therapist. I’ve been mostly fine for the past six or so months, but I think it’s time to go back to the doctors. Husband supports me massively "

its good your husband supports you. My family and friends are amazing

over a year ago

"I was on meds for three years for depression and anxiety. I now keep it at bay with a few techniques. It’ll only be a matter of time before I’m back on medication, but hopefully we’re talking a good few years away.

The biggest help is talking about it. I’ve now spoken about mine so much, to so many different people, that I feel like I’ve got more control of it than it has of me.

And that’s the thing to remember; your mental illness doesn’t define you. I used to make that mistake. Now I know it’s just a thing that happens to my brain.

Like I say, I’ve spoken about it to a lot of people, including formally at work. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask."

thats really positive to here

over a year ago

"Suffer with recurring depression and have been put on medication twice but haven’t had to take any since 2015 as self manageable at the moment.

"

thats good you can self manage

over a year ago

Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few years ago... it’s great fun

over a year ago

"Depression, anxiety, and they ‘aren’t ruling out’ bipolar. Following this threat xare you getting support?

Somewhat, yes. I’m on antidepressants, and I used to see a therapist. I’ve been mostly fine for the past six or so months, but I think it’s time to go back to the doctors. Husband supports me massively its good your husband supports you. My family and friends are amazing"

My side of the family are a bit...odd with it. They sometimes think I’m being lazy with I can’t even face getting out of bed, but 97% of the time they’re very understanding. Cutting off my husbands side of the family has helped massively as well

over a year ago

Somewhat, yes. I’m on antidepressants, and I used to see a therapist. I’ve been mostly fine for the past six or so months, but I think it’s time to go back to the doctors. Husband supports me massively its good your husband supports you. My family and friends are amazing

My side of the family are a bit...odd with it. They sometimes think I’m being lazy with I can’t even face getting out of bed, but 97% of the time they’re very understanding. Cutting off my husbands side of the family has helped massively as well "

i try and stay away from negative people

over a year ago

Somewhat, yes. I’m on antidepressants, and I used to see a therapist. I’ve been mostly fine for the past six or so months, but I think it’s time to go back to the doctors. Husband supports me massively its good your husband supports you. My family and friends are amazing

My side of the family are a bit...odd with it. They sometimes think I’m being lazy with I can’t even face getting out of bed, but 97% of the time they’re very understanding. Cutting off my husbands side of the family has helped massively as well i try and stay away from negative people"

Me too. I cut them off the day after our wedding (Feb 2017) and my husband cut them off for his health a few weeks later.

over a year ago

"Depression anxiety cause by personal stuff yep got so stressed loss my long hair within 2 weeks idea was to go old a grey with it but instead of no haircuts not it's about not shaving the beard sounds silly but little things get you through it and good people on your side

"

people underestimate anxiety

over a year ago

Oooh, I need this thread at the minute.

My depression symptoms have dropped, leaving stress and anxiety as my most prominent problems at the moment... a few rough weeks last month led to a series of doctor appointments, now I'm back on Citalopram and the negative side effects have kicked in straight away, though I'm glad it's physical aide effects rather than mental. Trying to work out the best time to take them to reduce the side effects. Also waiting for a counselling referral.

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels.

over a year ago

"Depression anxiety cause by personal stuff yep got so stressed loss my long hair within 2 weeks idea was to go old a grey with it but instead of no haircuts not it's about not shaving the beard sounds silly but little things get you through it and good people on your side

people underestimate anxiety"

yeah well at work i don't go on the till or coffee's because a big line of people looking at me freaks me out abit

over a year ago

"Oooh, I need this thread at the minute.

My depression symptoms have dropped, leaving stress and anxiety as my most prominent problems at the moment... a few rough weeks last month led to a series of doctor appointments, now I'm back on Citalopram and the negative side effects have kicked in straight away, though I'm glad it's physical aide effects rather than mental. Trying to work out the best time to take them to reduce the side effects. Also waiting for a counselling referral.

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels. "

thats good to here that your workplace are helping. A good point you make about side affects. Some days i cant even understand the basic things and my mouth has a permanant drop like ive had a stroke

over a year ago

Most threads on here involve an element of mental health....

over a year ago

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels. thats good to here that your workplace are helping. A good point you make about side affects. Some days i cant even understand the basic things and my mouth has a permanant drop like ive had a stroke"

They're being so good, and feeling able to talk about it at work means that I feel able to talk about it elsewhere.

That sucks but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils? I took my tablet yesterday morning and was in bed from the late afternoon with a dreadful headache and nausea so I'm going to try it before I go to bed tonight.

over a year ago

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels. thats good to here that your workplace are helping. A good point you make about side affects. Some days i cant even understand the basic things and my mouth has a permanant drop like ive had a stroke

They're being so good, and feeling able to talk about it at work means that I feel able to talk about it elsewhere.

That sucks but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils? I took my tablet yesterday morning and was in bed from the late afternoon with a dreadful headache and nausea so I'm going to try it before I go to bed tonight. "

i take my citaloprim before bed

over a year ago

Someone close to me has suffered from depression for a few years. They were suicidal for a while and tried to hang themself thankfully unsuccesfully. They also self harmed for a short time.

I find just being there to listen to them helps a lot..dont pressure them to talk let them do it in their own time and dont judge.

over a year ago

Bipolar type 2 with psychotic depression, anxiety, PTSD and agrophobic tendencies. Meds kinda help but every day is a struggle. Been waiting for 18 months for referral to cmht but not holding my breath. Xx

over a year ago

Depression and anxiety caused by being diagnosed with a chronic condition..

I had counselling sessions for the anxiety which helped enormously, and also helped with the depression.. the anxiety was so bad i didnt want to leave the house, do anything or go anywhere.. its why i closed down my account on here last year as i thought i would never want to go out and meet people again but now here i am, more or less back to 'normal' and getting on with life..

over a year ago

"Depression and anxiety caused by being diagnosed with a chronic condition..

I had counselling sessions for the anxiety which helped enormously, and also helped with the depression.. the anxiety was so bad i didnt want to leave the house, do anything or go anywhere.. its why i closed down my account on here last year as i thought i would never want to go out and meet people again but now here i am, more or less back to 'normal' and getting on with life.."

thats brilliant to here that your coming out the other side.

over a year ago

"Bipolar type 2 with psychotic depression, anxiety, PTSD and agrophobic tendencies. Meds kinda help but every day is a struggle. Been waiting for 18 months for referral to cmht but not holding my breath. Xx"
keep hanging in there

over a year ago

"Someone close to me has suffered from depression for a few years. They were suicidal for a while and tried to hang themself thankfully unsuccesfully. They also self harmed for a short time.

I find just being there to listen to them helps a lot..dont pressure them to talk let them do it in their own time and dont judge. "

you sound like a great friend

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

I suffer with anxiety have done sll my life, i know the sorts if situation that bring it on moreso and try to avoid being on my own if i have to experience them.

I also go through spells of depression and when it hits i find it really fifficult to function and do anything apart from getting to work.

over a year ago

I’ve had various bouts of depression/anxiety since my early 20’s and am just coming back from a pretty bad ‘episode’. Medication helps, but my saviour this time has been counselling something I’ve always scoffed at as a waste of time...wish I done it years ago.

Well that’s ‘my story’ things are looking up for me at the moment.

Can I ask everyone to be open about their mental health especially men... you never know it could make a difference to someone

over a year ago

"I’ve had various bouts of depression/anxiety since my early 20’s and am just coming back from a pretty bad ‘episode’. Medication helps, but my saviour this time has been counselling something I’ve always scoffed at as a waste of time...wish I done it years ago.

Can I ask everyone to be open about their mental health especially men... you never know it could make a difference to someone "

thanks for sharing. I agree men are the worst for seeking help

over a year ago

"Bipolar type 2 with psychotic depression, anxiety, PTSD and agrophobic tendencies. Meds kinda help but every day is a struggle. Been waiting for 18 months for referral to cmht but not holding my breath. Xxkeep hanging in there"

Thank you so much xx

over a year ago

"I’ve had various bouts of depression/anxiety since my early 20’s and am just coming back from a pretty bad ‘episode’. Medication helps, but my saviour this time has been counselling something I’ve always scoffed at as a waste of time...wish I done it years ago.

Can I ask everyone to be open about their mental health especially men... you never know it could make a difference to someone thanks for sharing. I agree men are the worst for seeking help"

I’m pretty open about it to others.... I hate the phrase ‘man up’ when used in relation to mental health

over a year ago

Ads and I both lost people close to us within the space of 6 months last year due to mental health.

Firstly Ads’ cousin just before Christmas 2016 and my best friend in June last year.

The hardest thing for me was living so far away from my friend, she kept everything hidden, I didn’t know that her dads death a few years prior hit her hard, I didn’t know she suffered from body confidence, she was always one of these girls that had mad hair, her dress sense was like a charity shop threw up on her and she loved an evening in the pub but looking back warning signs were there I guess, when we went to pub she never left without getting absolutely off her trolley and this was every week. To me she was my happy, smiley friend who was crap at texting back. She broke up with her boyfriend a week before her birthday at the start of June and I saw her just a week before she died, she waited to tell me face to face that they had broke up and she held me tight when I left and I didn’t see that gorgeous smile of hers that day. A week later she text me and we had a back and forth at bedtime, something we had never done before as she would read your message and take a day to reply, the last thing she text me was ‘I’m going to sleep now, good night’ by the Saturday she was gone. I was heartbroken, like everyone was and I still am. I just wish she was able to open up to me and talk to me about her troubles, I don’t know if it would have made any difference but it doesn’t stop me wishing it.

At her funeral she had a bucket list that she had started in the booklet and so far I’ve ticked off a couple of things. Going to a gospel church and it was emotional, she would have loved the music and get a wrist tattoo was another, the day after her funeral I went out and got one, a butterfly which was the ‘theme’ of her funeral and now I look at my wrist and remember my darling Becky, I even have some in my bouquet for our wedding so she can be close to me.

Ads is going to do the tough mudder in September this year to raise money for mind with his brothers and cousins and we do all we can to help anyone, just a cup of tea and a chat if needed now.

I posted on Facebook when my friends inquest was all over the press late last year in one of the newspaper pages when people were saying horrible things about her, a lady messaged me saying her partner died 5 weeks prior and she was having trouble even getting out of bed since, I spoke to her for days and gave her little goals every day and now she can go out and started to rebuild her life, if I can help anyone I will.

Geeky x

over a year ago

Can I ask everyone to be open about their mental health especially men... you never know it could make a difference to someone thanks for sharing. I agree men are the worst for seeking help

I’m pretty open about it to others.... I hate the phrase ‘man up’ when used in relation to mental health "

i think thats why men struggle. They were never allowed to show their feelings and where told to man up. Its gradually changing

By *andCforfunCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

"I have Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder... medicated stable.

When i find myself slipping either into depression or towards mania i take myself away from all this as i dont feel its helpful."

Can I please ask what some of the symptoms of this are?

By *andCforfunCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

Female half

Depression and anxiety.

When I was a teenager eating disorders and insomnia.

I don’t actually y have a proper diagnosis I go to the docs I get my tablets and the. I stop going cause I work in jobs with long hours!

I know it’s a terrible excuse and I should look after my mental health more

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Where to start! Recently a good friend confided that they are on antidepressants. It was a huge step for them to tell me and they know they should have done it earlier. I always feel privileged when people feel they can tell me.

In 2004 I was signed off work with stress and depression. I also needed an operation for a gynae problem. I had the op and two months later my husband left me. Following year my Dad passed away suddenly. Over 7 years and several different antidepressants I went back to studying Part time, was looking after three kids and trying to get back to some form of a life.

I describe depression and the way out of it as a slow progression. Taking each hour and day as it comes, thinking of three positive things that happened that day. Then you’ll get the part of a day that’s good, then one good day. Eventually the good days outnumber the bad ones but the cloud still hovers at times. There’s no fixed timescale and no quick fix. Talking, taking exercise, mixing with other people can all help.

I’m now at the stage where I don’t mind sharing my issues but for many that’s the hard part. My friend has taken the first step by sharing with me and hopefully we can build on that.

I’m happy to chat with anyone that messages. We are a caring community.

over a year ago

Bipolar. Keep a diary to get it out of my head. Lead a structured life. Work.

Great friends who are aware of warning signs to help. Self manage meds and increase where necessary.

Spend time with people when the lonely times set in. Everyone gets lonely but it is ten fold. when you have mental illness.

over a year ago

"Where to start! Recently a good friend confided that they are on antidepressants. It was a huge step for them to tell me and they know they should have done it earlier. I always feel privileged when people feel they can tell me.

In 2004 I was signed off work with stress and depression. I also needed an operation for a gynae problem. I had the op and two months later my husband left me. Following year my Dad passed away suddenly. Over 7 years and several different antidepressants I went back to studying Part time, was looking after three kids and trying to get back to some form of a life.

I describe depression and the way out of it as a slow progression. Taking each hour and day as it comes, thinking of three positive things that happened that day. Then you’ll get the part of a day that’s good, then one good day. Eventually the good days outnumber the bad ones but the cloud still hovers at times. There’s no fixed timescale and no quick fix. Talking, taking exercise, mixing with other people can all help.

I’m now at the stage where I don’t mind sharing my issues but for many that’s the hard part. My friend has taken the first step by sharing with me and hopefully we can build on that.

I’m happy to chat with anyone that messages. We are a caring community.

"

thankyou. What a positive post

over a year ago

And lists. During depression. Everything goes on a list, no matter how small the job is. Cause those small baby steps are big mountains.

over a year ago

"Someone close to me has suffered from depression for a few years. They were suicidal for a while and tried to hang themself thankfully unsuccesfully. They also self harmed for a short time.

I find just being there to listen to them helps a lot..dont pressure them to talk let them do it in their own time and dont judge. you sound like a great friend"

thank you..i try my best to be like that to everyone if i know them well or not. I always say i may not have the answers but im always there to listen IF you want to talk.

over a year ago

"And lists. During depression. Everything goes on a list, no matter how small the job is. Cause those small baby steps are big mountains. "
thankyou for sharing

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Great thread.

We're very fortunate to both have very good mental health.

However, we have friends and family who are less fortunate.

I'm pleased those of you suffering are getting the help and support you need. It can be incredibly difficult to access mental health services in some areas.

Nita

over a year ago

Fighting a bout of depression at the moment, can't afford to keel over, as I'm self employed and no safety net.

Decluttering my life of negative stuff and people. I can be busy but not profitable, so that needs to change. Instead swapping to finally go swimming and walking. I'll eventually find a walking group which will be good.

Massive argument with parents (over ex) 2 years ago, though sad, I'm much more productive and positive without them.

Have a bit of a shitty project on at the moment, but I'm digging deep to make sure I finish it, because other projects depend on it, and a different life for me.

over a year ago

"Fighting a bout of depression at the moment, can't afford to keel over, as I'm self employed and no safety net.

Decluttering my life of negative stuff and people. I can be busy but not profitable, so that needs to change. Instead swapping to finally go swimming and walking. I'll eventually find a walking group which will be good.

Massive argument with parents (over ex) 2 years ago, though sad, I'm much more productive and positive without them.

Have a bit of a shitty project on at the moment, but I'm digging deep to make sure I finish it, because other projects depend on it, and a different life for me."

you sound as though your doing all the positive things. Keep strong

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

When my depression hits I am incapable of anything, I will spend days in bed, not getting up to wash or eat, Only venturing out of bed for the loo... I might then grab food of any kind from the kitchen and take it back to bed with me. I can't talk, my concentration is too poor to string a sentence together. I literally shut down. It can take weeks to come out of such a dark place, months even. I have severe schizophrenic symptoms.

My mania is no better... I take risks, I self harm, I dont sleep, my thought race and talking is difficult as my mind goestoo fast. The risk taking is the worstympton, voices and schizophrenia lead me to create wild scenarios in my head that i absolutely have to carry out.

Life with mental illness is a continual battle. Im stable now (highly medicated) and have been a while but im always aware its only a step away.

I have a CMHN and see a psychiatrist every 6 to 8 weeks, i also have regular talk therapy and councilling.

over a year ago

"When my depression hits I am incapable of anything, I will spend days in bed, not getting up to wash or eat, Only venturing out of bed for the loo... I might then grab food of any kind from the kitchen and take it back to bed with me. I can't talk, my concentration is too poor to string a sentence together. I literally shut down. It can take weeks to come out of such a dark place, months even. I have severe schizophrenic symptoms.

My mania is no better... I take risks, I self harm, I dont sleep, my thought race and talking is difficult as my mind goestoo fast. The risk taking is the worstympton, voices and schizophrenia lead me to create wild scenarios in my head that i absolutely have to carry out.

Life with mental illness is a continual battle. Im stable now (highly medicated) and have been a while but im always aware its only a step away.

I have a CMHN and see a psychiatrist every 6 to 8 weeks, i also have regular talk therapy and councilling.

"

your depression sounds exactly like mine. Im unable to function except to go to the loo

By *thwiltsmMan
over a year ago

salisbury

After the sudden death of my brother Just over a year ago I have been suffering from bouts of depression but anxiety has been more continuous over the year.

I haven’t been to the doctors and feel I have been self managing ok and also feel like I am starting to get better.

Am I making a mistake trying to sort this myself or is there some benefits to avoiding medication?

over a year ago

"After the sudden death of my brother Just over a year ago I have been suffering from bouts of depression but anxiety has been more continuous over the year.

I haven’t been to the doctors and feel I have been self managing ok and also feel like I am starting to get better.

Am I making a mistake trying to sort this myself or is there some benefits to avoiding medication?"

going to the doctor doesnt automatically mean medication. Lots of therapy and councelling is out there

over a year ago

Just to say, I love this thread and the openness and support in it

Also welcome back DS. X

over a year ago

"Just to say, I love this thread and the openness and support in it

Also welcome back DS. X"

thanks yvaine x

over a year ago

I have Asperger's syndrome.

When I first came on here a few years ago, I had no luck on here as I was so nervous and didn't have much confidence to properly socialise due to my condition. I then left when I entered a relationship with my former best friend. When she decided to break my heart two Christmases ago, I was in bits as she was the only true friend I ever had and the only one I ever hanged out with.

I then came back on here not looking for any kind of pity sex but to just have someone to talk to and hopefully make some new friends. A couple of months later after the new year, I decided to get myself out there and start going out. I was nervous about going to a club for the first time but Bruce who works at Cupids helped put my mind at ease as he understood my condition.

I managed to get through the door for the first time which was a big step for me and was warmly welcomed at the club which helped calm my nerves. I did manage to speak to a few people but as the evening went on, I started feeling like I was invisible and ended up sitting down in a corner somewhere as it was getting too much. I then mustered the strength to go to the bar. Bruce knew something was up so had a chat with me and it helped getting what was on my mind off my chest.

As soon as I got back to the hotel, I posted a thread going on about how my first visit went before I went to sleep. The next day I had a look at thread and was surprised to see all the posts saying how brave I was for going to a club on my own and it really did make me feel happy to have been given so much support.

As the months went by from then till now, I ended grew more and more confident after each visit to Cupids and gained so many friends and I'm so thankful as if it weren't for the friends I made, I probably wouldn't be here today.

over a year ago

"After the sudden death of my brother Just over a year ago I have been suffering from bouts of depression but anxiety has been more continuous over the year.

Am I making a mistake trying to sort this myself or is there some benefits to avoiding medication?"

Sometimes takes a little time to find the medication that works best for you.. I find Mine keeps me ‘on the level’ ... but like I said earlier counselling/talking therapy has helped me massively

over a year ago

About 4 years ago I had CBT and realised that I needed to get sober. Obviously I ignored that for a fair while but coming up to 2 1/2 years of sobriety and a much calmer lifestyle. Amd finally coming to terms with what at times has been near crippling social anxiety that comes about when you've spent 30 years getting fucked to mask that social anxiety.

I still shy away from professionals for the baggage that my parents have bestowed on me but self medicating with exercise and recognising and avoiding triggers helps. As does a girlfriend who recognises at tines I'm a mess and that I fuck up occasionally but helps me through it

over a year ago

"About 4 years ago I had CBT and realised that I needed to get sober. Obviously I ignored that for a fair while but coming up to 2 1/2 years of sobriety and a much calmer lifestyle. Amd finally coming to terms with what at times has been near crippling social anxiety that comes about when you've spent 30 years getting fucked to mask that social anxiety.

I still shy away from professionals for the baggage that my parents have bestowed on me but self medicating with exercise and recognising and avoiding triggers helps. As does a girlfriend who recognises at tines I'm a mess and that I fuck up occasionally but helps me through it"

thankyou. Another positive post

over a year ago

It’s ok to not be ok.

I know too many young lads who got so lost they took their own life recently.

It’s good to see more people talking openly

over a year ago

I do apologise for making my story long. I just had to get it all down while it was all in my head.

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

"When my depression hits I am incapable of anything, I will spend days in bed, not getting up to wash or eat, Only venturing out of bed for the loo... I might then grab food of any kind from the kitchen and take it back to bed with me. I can't talk, my concentration is too poor to string a sentence together. I literally shut down. It can take weeks to come out of such a dark place, months even. I have severe schizophrenic symptoms.

your depression sounds exactly like mine. Im unable to function except to go to the loo"

Depression and anxiety seem to be fairly well accepted these days.

Schizohrenia however still carrys a huge stigma, people are afraid of it, friends and colleagues tend to avoid talking about it.

Its cool, i understand because i know how frightening it is for me I can only imagine how others view me and my illness.

I cope by making light of it and using laughter to dispell fear.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Depression is shitty, I’m in there and I would never have believed how tough it can be.

over a year ago

So glad people are talking. Keep talking.

I don't suffer, my fwb suffers anxiety, he also has ADHD.

He had a bad episode Friday night, messaged me. I picked him up, took him for along drive and just sat on a mountain top talking. We talked, a solid 3 hours. Didn't get home until 3 am. But you know I will do that if that is what someone needs. The night, the car the surroundings all helped.

Had a lovely message today thanking me, tells just being near me calms his soul. Feel priveliged at that.

over a year ago

your depression sounds exactly like mine. Im unable to function except to go to the loo

Depression and anxiety seem to be fairly well accepted these days.

Schizohrenia however still carrys a huge stigma, people are afraid of it, friends and colleagues tend to avoid talking about it.

Its cool, i understand because i know how frightening it is for me I can only imagine how others view me and my illness.

I cope by making light of it and using laughter to dispell fear.

"

unfortunatly schizophrenia does still has a stigma its the "one" everyone has heard off. I hope you stay as stable as possible. I to laugh at myself

I get called the bipolar princess

By *carlet_heavenWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

I think support & understanding are VITAL. Due to circumstances I have very little of either & I’m struggling with serious depression & it’s hard.

I have massive ambitions (& the ideas to match) to help other people that suffer in social isolation & are living with mental health problems. The problem is that my health makes me inconsistent mood wise & my productivity is low. I’m trying to find a mentor who could assist but it’s very difficult

I think there should be a sponsering system for people struggling with their MH...as it’s just as hard as struggling with addiction Imho.

I’m soooo pleased to Op for starting this thread & to read that there are people out there who understand & support those with MH issues

over a year ago

"I think support & understanding are VITAL. Due to circumstances I have very little of either & I’m struggling with serious depression & it’s hard.

I have massive ambitions (& the ideas to match) to help other people that suffer in social isolation & are living with mental health problems. The problem is that my health makes me inconsistent mood wise & my productivity is low. I’m trying to find a mentor who could assist but it’s very difficult

I think there should be a sponsering system for people struggling with their MH...as it’s just as hard as struggling with addiction Imho.

I’m soooo pleased to Op for starting this thread & to read that there are people out there who understand & support those with MH issues "

have you tried any online forums. Im member of one and its just so supportive that people are dealing/struggling with the same issues

By *carlet_heavenWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

No, could you send me the name pls?

Thanx

over a year ago

I (Mr) have no issue with telling anyone how "mental" Iam, trouble is I do use humour alot when talking about it and it does make people not take it quite so seriously, went on a daytime TV program last year to talk about it and was dumped on there last minute with no briefing on what was happening, you would think suffering with anxiety that would have tipped me over the edge but I had no issue with it what so ever..... really strange who it manifests itself and how different the triggers can be

over a year ago

I posted a thread on this a while ago. I used to have bad anxiety that needed short term Valium treatment and before that bi polar undefined where I was treated with depekote. Am off meds completely now Loved playing when I was manic of course x

over a year ago

"I think support & understanding are VITAL. Due to circumstances I have very little of either & I’m struggling with serious depression & it’s hard.

I’m soooo pleased to Op for starting this thread & to read that there are people out there who understand & support those with MH issues "

Once I get myself sorted out for a decent length of time Ive got plans to start a "workshop" to try and help people to get out for even a day a week and make stuff while also having the opportunity to talk with people who have an understanding of how they are feeling

By *carlet_heavenWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the sticks

I’m soooo pleased to Op for starting this thread & to read that there are people out there who understand & support those with MH issues

Once I get myself sorted out for a decent length of time Ive got plans to start a "workshop" to try and help people to get out for even a day a week and make stuff while also having the opportunity to talk with people who have an understanding of how they are feeling "

Exactly. Think this type of thing should be standard in our healthcare system. It isn’t unless you are cognitively impaired also. I would love to lobby for this type of thing...I’d only I could get out of the house

over a year ago

Once I get myself sorted out for a decent length of time Ive got plans to start a "workshop" to try and help people to get out for even a day a week and make stuff while also having the opportunity to talk with people who have an understanding of how they are feeling

Exactly. Think this type of thing should be standard in our healthcare system. It isn’t unless you are cognitively impaired also. I would love to lobby for this type of thing...I’d only I could get out of the house "

Im going to try and get the person who I was on the TV with to get involved, he did say after we were on that we should have a chat sometime but considering hes constantly on TV Im not sure it will happen but he does suffer himself so you never know

over a year ago

To describe my Asperger's, I had social anxiety and would have minor episodes of depression whenever I get stressed or upset. I do my best to control it but can be a pain when it happens

By *ellMan
over a year ago

WILLENHALL

I've struggled with my mental health for years, attempted suicide 3 times and been sectioned twice.

I never hide my struggles with my mental health and will talk to anyone about it, just in the same way as someone with a physical illness would.

After many years, the psychiatrist at the hospital finally diagnosed me as having EUPD...what a difference the diagnosis has made, now I can see how and why I often feel as I do.

Even if you just think you might have a problem with your mental health just talk to somebody....please just talk to somebody.

over a year ago

"I've struggled with my mental health for years, attempted suicide 3 times and been sectioned twice.

I never hide my struggles with my mental health and will talk to anyone about it, just in the same way as someone with a physical illness would.

After many years, the psychiatrist at the hospital finally diagnosed me as having EUPD...what a difference the diagnosis has made, now I can see how and why I often feel as I do.

Even if you just think you might have a problem with your mental health just talk to somebody....please just talk to somebody. "

thankyou. Being sectioned is no fun but glad you have your diagnosis

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"I think being by the seaside is calming. "

Will there be a social in Margate ?

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"I think being by the seaside is calming. "

Will there be a social in Margate ?

over a year ago

With the amount of stories of here what feels like a very lonely place to be, really isn't.

I have been watching over my sister since I was 9 (in is 2 years older) 2 and a half years ago she hit a place she'd never been before, serious attempts on her own life. Due to the severity of the condition she was in she thankfully got the right help, many don't. I am so grateful for the help she received but since then there have been times where more help was needed but because she wasn't as bad it was hard and slow to get.

I will always be there for my sister but often think about what happens to those who don't have the family and friends there to catch them when they fall.

Always be kind as you don't know the story of others struggles xxxx

over a year ago

"With the amount of stories of here what feels like a very lonely place to be, really isn't.

I have been watching over my sister since I was 9 (in is 2 years older) 2 and a half years ago she hit a place she'd never been before, serious attempts on her own life. Due to the severity of the condition she was in she thankfully got the right help, many don't. I am so grateful for the help she received but since then there have been times where more help was needed but because she wasn't as bad it was hard and slow to get.

I will always be there for my sister but often think about what happens to those who don't have the family and friends there to catch them when they fall.

Always be kind as you don't know the story of others struggles xxxx"

great post. Thankyou for looking after your sister

over a year ago

"I have Asperger's syndrome.

When I first came on here a few years ago, I had no luck on here as I was so nervous and didn't have much confidence to properly socialise due to my condition. I then left when I entered a relationship with my former best friend. When she decided to break my heart two Christmases ago, I was in bits as she was the only true friend I ever had and the only one I ever hanged out with.

I then came back on here not looking for any kind of pity sex but to just have someone to talk to and hopefully make some new friends. A couple of months later after the new year, I decided to get myself out there and start going out. I was nervous about going to a club for the first time but Bruce who works at Cupids helped put my mind at ease as he understood my condition.

I managed to get through the door for the first time which was a big step for me and was warmly welcomed at the club which helped calm my nerves. I did manage to speak to a few people but as the evening went on, I started feeling like I was invisible and ended up sitting down in a corner somewhere as it was getting too much. I then mustered the strength to go to the bar. Bruce knew something was up so had a chat with me and it helped getting what was on my mind off my chest.

As soon as I got back to the hotel, I posted a thread going on about how my first visit went before I went to sleep. The next day I had a look at thread and was surprised to see all the posts saying how brave I was for going to a club on my own and it really did make me feel happy to have been given so much support.

As the months went by from then till now, I ended grew more and more confident after each visit to Cupids and gained so many friends and I'm so thankful as if it weren't for the friends I made, I probably wouldn't be here today."

I remember one of your threads from ages ago talking about your first club visit. It's awesome that it's given you more confidence

over a year ago

I do have a confession which I made into a thread last year which explains my aspergers ever further and when at one point, I nearly committed suicide.

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/677809

over a year ago

As the months went by from then till now, I ended grew more and more confident after each visit to Cupids and gained so many friends and I'm so thankful as if it weren't for the friends I made, I probably wouldn't be here today.

I remember one of your threads from ages ago talking about your first club visit. It's awesome that it's given you more confidence "

Yeah it sure is great to have so much confidence ever since I first went to Cupids and I'm still proud of going for the first time last year.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I remember one of your threads from ages ago talking about your first club visit. It's awesome that it's given you more confidence

Yeah it sure is great to have so much confidence ever since I first went to Cupids and I'm still proud of going for the first time last year."

I remember that too. Well done to you spindler.

over a year ago

Yeah it sure is great to have so much confidence ever since I first went to Cupids and I'm still proud of going for the first time last year.

I remember that too. Well done to you spindler. "

Thanks mate. I do appreciate it

over a year ago

Thankyo everyone that has posted. Its been enlightening

By *oonloverWoman
over a year ago

bognor regis

My dream is to set up a retreat type place with rescued animals where people can just come and 'be' with the animals

By *rSuave88Man
over a year ago

Mirfield

Heard ours today for the first time this year

over a year ago

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels. "

I came off citalopram about 5 months ago. I trying to get by without but a new boss is making me head back towards them. It’s the anxiety that’s the worst. It affects you every mood and relationships. I get so short tempered at times because of referred aggression due to work.

It’s only a matter of time before I go back on them. If I can figure out how to avoid the headaches and tiredness I’ll repost!

over a year ago

Thankfully work is super understanding, one person in particular is really good to talk to and my work load has been lowered to help reduce my stress levels.

I came off citalopram about 5 months ago. I trying to get by without but a new boss is making me head back towards them. It’s the anxiety that’s the worst. It affects you every mood and relationships. I get so short tempered at times because of referred aggression due to work.

It’s only a matter of time before I go back on them. If I can figure out how to avoid the headaches and tiredness I’ll repost! "

I feel your pain, when you have to go into the place that causing the problem everyday its a real shitter, I know its easier said than done but can you apply for other jobs? Is your boss the kind of person that would understand and not quite piss you off so much if you told them how much they are screwing with your mental health? Im not in any way a medical professional but as far as I know Citalopram is for general depression, there is different standard medication for depression and anxiety that maybe you should give a go, side effects for the first few weeks are shite but you have to just keep telling yourself that is all it is and they will go away, dont suffer for the sake of it, no one will thank you

over a year ago

It's good to talk and be open about it.

I have bipolar disorder, acute anxiety disorder, clinical depression and ptsd.

My diagnosis of bipolar and depression came at 17 and since then I've certainly had my ups and downs, suicide attempts and self harm. CBT helped me a lot and I can now recognise when I'm struggling. I've educated myself about all of my conditions and understand it all far more.

My parents and best friend are super supportive as is J, he understands as he has his own struggle and we support each other.

Sending love to all who may be struggling atm. You're not alone

Post new Message to Thread