Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any tech nerds around?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is there a way to stop windows 10 from ever updating?

Seems like the OS is getting worse and worse, blue screen central

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *fcdTV/TS
over a year ago

Southend

Updates are good. They protect you. If you’re getting blue screens it’s almost certainly a driver issue. Download a driver checker/updater and see if it improves.

over a year ago

"Updates are good. They protect you. If you’re getting blue screens it’s almost certainly a driver issue. Download a driver checker/updater and see if it improves."

I had all drivers up to date last time. It only fixed after I uninstalled the update.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

When we downloaded windows 10 it fucked everything up, we had to take it in to the computer doctor

By *fcdTV/TS
over a year ago

Southend

Windows is pretty poor at telling you about driver updates. Unless you're using a 3rd party tool you may well be years out of date.

over a year ago

All my drivers are up to date I know because I play games which remind you to update drivers every week or so.

I'm still getting an error because of this shitty OS but at least it stopped blue screening.

By *inky SpiceWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

You can buy a copy of Windows 7 for a fiver.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

what does your event log say is happening when you get problems? have a look and then google the various error codes ... it should give you some idea of what's happening

over a year ago

"what does your event log say is happening when you get problems? have a look and then google the various error codes ... it should give you some idea of what's happening"

Last time it said my ram memory is causing the problem.

But guess what! I uninstalled the latest windows update and everything started working again...

over a year ago

sounds like your ram memory is causing the problem then .... what did event log say was sort of ram problem it is exactly?

over a year ago

"sounds like your ram memory is causing the problem then .... what did event log say was sort of ram problem it is exactly?"

Game kept saying I don't have enough ram memory (12gb) game requires 4gb...

I updated every single driver and nothing, kept crashing.

I uninstalled the update and everything started working again.

So no, ram wasn't the problem.

By *luteguyMan
over a year ago

Here and There

Swap it for a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu

over a year ago

"sounds like your ram memory is causing the problem then .... what did event log say was sort of ram problem it is exactly?

Game kept saying I don't have enough ram memory (12gb) game requires 4gb...

I updated every single driver and nothing, kept crashing.

I uninstalled the update and everything started working again.

So no, ram wasn't the problem."

there's summut about your ram that the update doesn't like .... so that's where you need to look .... it's all well and good not installing the update but treating the syptoms and not the cause will most likely just lead to other problems further down the line ..... to answer your original question though .... open the settings app, head to Network & Internet Ethernet, and click the name of your Ethernet connection. Enable the “Set as metered connection” option on the properties page. After enabling this option, Windows Update will say “Updates are available. We’ll download the updates as soon as you connect to Wi-Fi, or you can download the updates using your data connection (charges may apply.)” By marking a connection as metered, you’ve tricked Windows into thinking it’s a mobile data connection–for example, you might be tethering your PC to your smartphone. You can click the Download button to download and install updates at your leisure.

By *entenTeaCouple
over a year ago

Buckley North Wales

"Swap it for a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu "

Agree totaly with that. Linux Mint is pretty good been running it for a good few years. Add antivirus like Komodo.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Look at the Microsoft site as updates sometimes don't install correctly but can be done manually from there. There may have been a known problem from the Feb update.

You can get them to install at quieter times but for general 10 customers you can't stop it.

Overall, each update improves the security of your PC, so should be a must-have.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"Swap it for a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu

Agree totaly with that. Linux Mint is pretty good been running it for a good few years. Add antivirus like Komodo. "

I second the recommendation for Linux Mint. Double the speed of your laptop and never pay another penny for software.

Post new Message to Thread