Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Opticians/style gurus advice

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

How the hell do you pick a pair of glasses that make you look good rather than a knob ?

I've googled face shapes which confused me more and when I asked mates last night they decided I was big or fat very helpful

Any advice is greatfully appreciated before I drag a woman in off the street to advise as you women are better at these things

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Go to specsavers they are really good at helping you choose the right frame for your face shape.

over a year ago

I use specsavers.

Or picdilly opticians in new st

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Go to specsavers they are really good at helping you choose the right frame for your face shape."

I tried that and they sold me a sirloin steak but I might have walked into the wrong shop

I just assumed they were sales people flogging me anything

over a year ago

I also use specsavers..

I would recommend them as opticians

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Firstly... DO NOT use Specsavers unless you have a really simple prescription. Far too many people I know have had badly set up lenses... which they denied

Boots are good but expensive. I rather like Asda / Tesco actually, both are surprisingly good.

Any decent optician will advise on what suits you.

Nita

over a year ago

My advice is don't get rushed into picking a pair. They hang over you for some reason I can't fathom. Take someone with you to fend them off.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I’ve used specsavers for a few years & have always found them to be very good - I suppose each branch can vary & I can only comment in my experiences

And I agree, they are very helpful when you’re trying to select frames that suit your face!

over a year ago

I use Asda and they’re very helpful. Specsavers ate ok but very expensive especially if you have to have a strong prescription as they charge extra for thinning them. X

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I go to boots but used to go specsavers. Both very good. The assistants know what suits you. She chose three pairs for me and i bought two

over a year ago

I use Specsavers and they help you chose frames that suit your face and suit your prescription. I also browse to see what i like and i take hubby and daughter and ask their advice too. I usually help daughter chose her frames too.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"My advice is don't get rushed into picking a pair. They hang over you for some reason I can't fathom. Take someone with you to fend them off."

I remember a huge argument years ago trying to get the prescription and not buy from them

over a year ago

I'm with Vision Express and always found them good and not too pushy. Go with your gut feeling but get a 2nd opinion from someone you know.

My most recent pair, that I like more than any others I've had, the critique was provided by my 5 year old niece. At that age she doesn't spare feelings. I rock my Frozen glasses

over a year ago

"My advice is don't get rushed into picking a pair. They hang over you for some reason I can't fathom. Take someone with you to fend them off.

I remember a huge argument years ago trying to get the prescription and not buy from them "

Yes I get that, they quoted me near enough £400 for 2 pairs of glasses. I went to Asda and am having better lenses than they were going to do and it’s just cost me £40 x

over a year ago

I go to boots but I just tried on pairs till I found a pair that suited me. Didn't need any help from the saleswoman

over a year ago

laser eye treatment last year and never looked back-- so to speak

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"I go to boots but I just tried on pairs till I found a pair that suited me. Didn't need any help from the saleswoman "

That's fine if the ones you choose do actually suit you and aren't just ones you like.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Firstly... DO NOT use Specsavers unless you have a really simple prescription. Far too many people I know have had badly set up lenses... which they denied

Boots are good but expensive. I rather like Asda / Tesco actually, both are surprisingly good.

Any decent optician will advise on what suits you.

Nita"

Used to go to specs savers but changed to Asda x

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"My advice is don't get rushed into picking a pair. They hang over you for some reason I can't fathom. Take someone with you to fend them off.

I remember a huge argument years ago trying to get the prescription and not buy from them

Yes I get that, they quoted me near enough £400 for 2 pairs of glasses. I went to Asda and am having better lenses than they were going to do and it’s just cost me £40 x "

Are they like the nhs ones kids used to be given decades ago or are they modern ?

Do they do tests

By *utie91Woman
over a year ago

Hitchin

Took me 2hrs to find some that looked ok on me.... just try a load and see what you think.

I ended up buying expensive ones... cuz they were the only ones that suited me. I don’t wear them very often... but I still have my first pair and they are almost 6 years old now. So doing well

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

First of all listen to any advice that the staff give you with regard to your prescription, sometimes the frame choice can be dictated somewhat by the prescription needs and the staff are trained to know this.

Keep an open mind and try on styles that you don’t think you’ll like, you may be surprised.

If you have a budget then tell the staff member helping you. Remember that the lenses are the most important bit. It’s always better to spend your money on the best lens in a cheaper frame than go for a designer frame with a lens which doesn’t meet all your optical needs.

Finally, it is a legal requirement that the optician gives you a copy of your prescription and any Nhs voucher that you’re entitled to before you leave (however Nhs vouchers can’t be replaced if you lose it so they may offer to keep it safe for you). You can take your prescription and Nhs voucher to ANY optician.

over a year ago

Bedworth

Oh and don’t let someone else’s bad experience of an optician put you off. Different branches of the same optical chain vary greatly. An opticians practice is only as good as it’s optometrists and dispensers

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"First of all listen to any advice that the staff give you with regard to your prescription, sometimes the frame choice can be dictated somewhat by the prescription needs and the staff are trained to know this.

Keep an open mind and try on styles that you don’t think you’ll like, you may be surprised.

If you have a budget then tell the staff member helping you. Remember that the lenses are the most important bit. It’s always better to spend your money on the best lens in a cheaper frame than go for a designer frame with a lens which doesn’t meet all your optical needs.

Finally, it is a legal requirement that the optician gives you a copy of your prescription and any Nhs voucher that you’re entitled to before you leave (however Nhs vouchers can’t be replaced if you lose it so they may offer to keep it safe for you). You can take your prescription and Nhs voucher to ANY optician.

"

Thanks for that it's appreciated, it's more a case of being worried about getting a new style and looking a knob but I do want to try something different from my usual.

The legal requirement seems to have slipped there knowledge and I had a huge argument about getting hold of it without buying from them and it seems industry standard to make you buy from them.

I guess when I make the appointment that I want the prescription and if they are awkward I'll go elsewhere.

By *apillonNoirWoman
over a year ago

There...

Specsavers screwed my prescription up badly and I ended up at an independent optician having massively lost trust in the big chains. I need eye tests annually due to family history of glaucoma but I’ve never felt in better hands than now. Eyesight is something I cannot lose. Go find someone you trust and feel confident with - that’s my best advice. Good luck

over a year ago

Yes I get that, they quoted me near enough £400 for 2 pairs of glasses. I went to Asda and am having better lenses than they were going to do and it’s just cost me £40 x

Are they like the nhs ones kids used to be given decades ago or are they modern ?

Do they do tests "

Yes they test, and no both of mine are designer frames whereas at specsavers they were the big standard frames. Apparently Asda won’t make anything off my glasses because it’s a rare prescription they will be made to the best specifications on my prescription. They just buy in bulk so can pass it on cheaper. X

over a year ago

"Go to specsavers they are really good at helping you choose the right frame for your face shape."

This.

I really like mine and there was a vote in store when I was selecting mine!!

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Do they do tests

Yes they test, and no both of mine are designer frames whereas at specsavers they were the big standard frames. Apparently Asda won’t make anything off my glasses because it’s a rare prescription they will be made to the best specifications on my prescription. They just buy in bulk so can pass it on cheaper. X "

thank you x

over a year ago

Bedworth

"First of all listen to any advice that the staff give you with regard to your prescription, sometimes the frame choice can be dictated somewhat by the prescription needs and the staff are trained to know this.

Thanks for that it's appreciated, it's more a case of being worried about getting a new style and looking a knob but I do want to try something different from my usual.

The legal requirement seems to have slipped there knowledge and I had a huge argument about getting hold of it without buying from them and it seems industry standard to make you buy from them.

I guess when I make the appointment that I want the prescription and if they are awkward I'll go elsewhere."

It really boils my piss when I hear of opticians that are reluctant to give a prescription. I spent the last 6 years working as an optical dispenser, worked for two opticians mentioned on this thread. At one branch I worked at there was a very expensive independent opticians just down the road who would refuse to give prescriptions and Nhs vouchers out, often saying that they legally have to stay in the branch. We would often encourage people to report this to the GOC.

The only other thing that annoys me more is some opticians overselling. A little old lady who only uses reading glasses at bingo does not need designer frames, and fancy photochromic lenses with all the bells and whistles for that!

By *hris and SamCouple
over a year ago

at the end of the rainbow

What you will find with some of the Opticians that sell cheaply is that they have a limited range of lens suppliers. Generally an independent optician wil be able to access a greater range they may be slightly more expensive but you a at place that don't have a great buying power to get discounts. But they pride themselves on trying to give a great service.

Myself i would recommend trying some frames on and seeing which one you feel best in, its all very well someone telling your face shape is A therefore you should buy shape B glasses but if you feel wrong in them you are always going to be conscious of them. Take a friend back for a second opinion even take some selfies. Oh and ask the dispensing optician they are doing this job because they love it.

Post new Message to Thread