Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Under floor heating

Jump to newest

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

Considering putting in a retro fit 24mm underfloor heating system downstairs. Anyone got any good experience of it? It’ll mean taking my screed up, self levelling and the laying the insulation (6mm) followed by the boards (18mm) and then the pipes into the grooves on the boards. Apparently the systems are really nice, effective and incredibly efficient.

Any help/advice please? Thanks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Have it all over my house would not put in again its not as easy to control as radiatiors and it gives u a pain in your legs walking on it all the time

over a year ago

I looked into it and they guys advised that it can be very expensive but if you have pees go for it.. it's a luxury to have

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Have it all over my house would not put in again its not as easy to control as radiatiors and it gives u a pain in your legs walking on it all the time"

Why does it cause pain in your legs?

I don't like it as hot feet is just odd.

over a year ago

They're good for bathrooms but I don't see the point of having them anywhere else

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

Not sure why it gives pain in legs. Bathrooms often use electric UFH but that’s VERY expensive to run. Wet underfloor is efficient as it heats the room evenly as it replaces radiators. With a thermostat in every room it’s apparently quite easy to maintain an even temperature from room to room.

over a year ago

We had it growing up though I'm sure it's much different now. It was an absolute treat getting up in winter and putting your feet on a nice warm floor, we got rid of it as it was expensive and the heat quickly dissipated.

Ginger

over a year ago

I had a vast amount of it, as my lower floor was open plan. Really not energy efficient, lovely toasty bills but large energy bills.

over a year ago

"I had a vast amount of it, as my lower floor was open plan. Really not energy efficient, lovely toasty bills but large energy bills."

Sorry I should read before sending

Lovely and toasty but lovely big bills

over a year ago

What’s wrong with a decent pair of socks?

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

Not just thinking warm feet it’s about heating the rooms too. I think the expensive ones you’re talking about are electric ones right?

over a year ago

I have it in my lounge only, it is excellent, I leave it on 24/7, it is not that expensive to run, and I have a 11mtr x 6mtr lounge, open plan staircase, it is the only way to heat a space like that, very easy to control, I do not have any heating on upstairs, as it is nice and warm.

over a year ago

"What’s wrong with a decent pair of socks?"

They aren't posh lol

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

"I have it in my lounge only, it is excellent, I leave it on 24/7, it is not that expensive to run, and I have a 11mtr x 6mtr lounge, open plan staircase, it is the only way to heat a space like that, very easy to control, I do not have any heating on upstairs, as it is nice and warm."

Because it’s the wet ufh type I’m guessing? Electric is mega expensive to run apparently lol

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

"I have it in my lounge only, it is excellent, I leave it on 24/7, it is not that expensive to run, and I have a 11mtr x 6mtr lounge, open plan staircase, it is the only way to heat a space like that, very easy to control, I do not have any heating on upstairs, as it is nice and warm."

Difficult getting the pipes back to the manifold/boiler though isn’t it? That’s my biggest concern tbh.

over a year ago

Great for having sex on the floor

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I know someone who has it in their kitchen/family room. It's a massive space and always feels lovely and warm even in recent weather!!

over a year ago

When sitting down your feet on floor and its warm after a while you get pains up your legs i have a very well insulated house this is my 8 th winter hous 5000 sq foot and its very very expensive on oil same size house next to me has radiators bills half i have a very good system thermostats in every room still expensive

over a year ago

"Considering putting in a retro fit 24mm underfloor heating system downstairs. Anyone got any good experience of it? It’ll mean taking my screed up, self levelling and the laying the insulation (6mm) followed by the boards (18mm) and then the pipes into the grooves on the boards. Apparently the systems are really nice, effective and incredibly efficient.

Any help/advice please? Thanks."

We have it throughout downstairs and love it! Really makes a massive diff as we have a large old house and the radiators alone don’t cut it x

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

"When sitting down your feet on floor and its warm after a while you get pains up your legs i have a very well insulated house this is my 8 th winter hous 5000 sq foot and its very very expensive on oil same size house next to me has radiators bills half i have a very good system thermostats in every room still expensive"

Oh interesting! I heard it would save money on bills not raise my bills

over a year ago

i lived in a shared house years ago that had it, i hated it, made me feel sick and permanently dehydrated..and it was stupidly expensive..but then i rule the heating at home with a rod of iron!

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

You need way more than 6mm of insulation ideally 100mm. I got 80mm when I retrofit underfloor heating as we couldn't get any more in. Otherwise your just paying money to heat the floor slab. you also need 20mm of insulation between the screed and the wall for the same reason and as an expansion joint.

Love ours but you need excellent insulation,

over a year ago

cant hang your socks to dry on this - i suppose you could lay them on the floor

over a year ago

Radiators don't radiate they convect!.

Underfloor heating radiates.

Two important differences when thinking about this because your heat source should be at two different temperatures.

Both have distinct advantages, however if your just thinking about the main advantage of saving money and cheaper bills I'd recommend looking at air source heat pumps

By *tu_b_man OP   Man
over a year ago

Nottingham

"cant hang your socks to dry on this - i suppose you could lay them on the floor "

There always upstairs to hang smalls lol xx

Post new Message to Thread