FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you have to experience It to have an opinion of worth?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is your opinion worthy if you've not experienced an event or emotion in life?

If youre not a certain race, can you fully understand being subject racism?

If you're not married and unhappy can you fully offer a balanced opinion to those with a profile here?

Etc etc etc

Sometimes the approach is very much "what do you know?".

It's a forum so we can all express opinions....but are they worthy?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Spot on! I think you have an interesting point and even though someone had or has the same experience, the outcome might still be different.

over a year ago

Just because we haven’t experienced it doesn’t mean we can’t empathise with the person and the situation. In that respect yes our opinions are valid. But when someone makes a sweeping generalisation then no they should keep it to themselves or get fully up to date facts to back their claims up x

over a year ago

"Just because we haven’t experienced it doesn’t mean we can’t empathise with the person and the situation. In that respect yes our opinions are valid. But when someone makes a sweeping generalisation then no they should keep it to themselves or get fully up to date facts to back their claims up x "

This. When options become judgements or direct insults they are no longer considered 'worthy'

Also it's important to remember people experience the same things differently

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

" Is your opinion worthy if you've not experienced an event or emotion in life?

If you're not married and unhappy can you fully offer a balanced opinion to those with a profile here?

Etc etc etc

It's a forum so we can all express opinions....but are they worthy?"

Is this a dig at virgins who think they're swingers?

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

Of course because you can look at the problem/issue from a fresh prospective.

The problem is when people just guess when knownlege is required.

over a year ago

trouble is Truth and valuable insights gained thru lifes experiences are oft considered as insults or judgements by those seeking to promote falsehood ...

over a year ago

Etc etc etc

Is this a dig at virgins who think they're swingers? "

not on this occasion. I don't do digs....I think

over a year ago

Hmmm. Must I have been Prime Minister to have a worthy, informed opinion on Teresa May’s Leadership?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Hmmm. Must I have been Prime Minister to have a worthy, informed opinion on Teresa May’s Leadership?"

You can have an opinion. It's just that it's probably not accurate.

over a year ago

"trouble is Truth and valuable insights gained thru lifes experiences are oft considered as insults or judgements by those seeking to promote falsehood ... "

What is Truth?

over a year ago

"Hmmm. Must I have been Prime Minister to have a worthy, informed opinion on Teresa May’s Leadership?

You can have an opinion. It's just that it's probably not accurate. "

I don’t think our opinions are ever truly accurate, no matter how much evidence we have. Our own subjectivity blinds our objectivity

over a year ago

"Hmmm. Must I have been Prime Minister to have a worthy, informed opinion on Teresa May’s Leadership?"

Not really but you certainly can't understand the pressure she went through during her job. Because you haven't experience her job.

I guess this is what the op meant.

We certainly can hold an opinion and it may seem totally valid, but as we haven't been experiencing that said situation ourselve is our judgement hold the same face value ?

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

Etc etc etc

Opinions are only worthy and of note if they resonate with the reader . As you say they are what they are

over a year ago

One of my oldest friends who is male, never had a girlfriend and still lives at home at 38 years old, always tried to give me marriage and money advice. This man spends money on sex, long holidays to Thailand and as I say never even been in a relationship let alone a marriage. I did listen to him though about something.

Geeky x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There are some things that you need to experience to truly understand but everyone will have an opinion.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

You need to understand than an opinion is exactly that - opinion: it doesn’t need any facts or experience to back it up.

I’m not suggesting that basing important life decisions on opinion is a good idea, but in understand it's a popular approach these days.

By *eus n EuropaCouple
over a year ago

Warrington

"You need to understand than an opinion is exactly that - opinion: it doesn’t need any facts or experience to back it up.

I’m not suggesting that basing important life decisions on opinion is a good idea, but in understand it's a popular approach these days."

Opinions are like arseholes we all have one

over a year ago

Etc etc etc

but we're all a certain race, so many of us would have experienced racism, albeit some more than others.

over a year ago

People tend to find most worth in opinions that align with their own, regardless of the source.

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Etc etc etc

I've never murdered, been murdered, or had any family or close friends murdered.

I still believe my opinion of murder is justified and valid.

over a year ago

Experience does make the opinion more valid

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

I don’t think my opinion on anything is necessarily correct (worthy) whether it’s formed through experience, knowledge or research. I try not to force my opinions on others, but my friends know if they ask my opinion I will give it.

I will voice my opinion more readily if protective mode is engaged, this isn’t always warmly received. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. I’m less inclined to have an opinion on something I know nothing about unless it would impact myself, those around me or the human race as a whole.

I’ll give an example to try and explain more clearly what I mean. As we’re on a swinging site, let’s use attending clubs as an example. Attending a club would no be not my preference. I have discussed them with various ppl but I’ve never been to one and I have no desire to attend one. Do I have an opinion on those that do use them? No I don’t, that’s their choice and they enjoy them. Are they harming me, my friends or the human race? No they aren’t, so therefore if I was to have an opinion other than it’s not for me would be ridiculous. My opinion would actually be a judgement on clubs and those using them. This is the type of opinion I consider unworthy. It’s nothing more than a judgement on something that is of no consequence to anyone other than the person/s involved. But hey, this is my opinion and I have one because being judgemental can be harmful

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

"Just because we haven’t experienced it doesn’t mean we can’t empathise with the person and the situation. In that respect yes our opinions are valid. But when someone makes a sweeping generalisation then no they should keep it to themselves or get fully up to date facts to back their claims up x "

This

over a year ago

In my opinion....Absolutely we can express an opinion of something not experienced and yes they are worthy however it is situational.

Sometimes opinions as only legitimate provided we have experienced it.

We can have a learned opinion through comprehensive study and that can be a validation of a worthy opinion. An expert in his / her field.

We can have an outstanding ability to think and analyse even though we have not experienced a particular situation and our opinion can be valid and worthy based on our analysis.

Defo yes ....

over a year ago

"People tend to find most worth in opinions that align with their own, regardless of the source."
ahh I like this. Sometimes experience also removes objectivity too?

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Opinions are like arseholes we all have one "

/\ That’s what I was too polite to post.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"

There are some things that you need to experience to truly understand but everyone will have an opinion."

And this is the point .... way too many people think their opinion on a matter they have no experience of is of value .

In most instances it isn’t .

Here’s an example ... a while back someone asked about dogging , the etiquette etc on here . Most people answered with stuff like they wouldn’t go dogging , it’s dirty etc... If that’s a worthy opinion then I’m mistaken on what’s a valid opinion !

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

There are some things that you need to experience to truly understand but everyone will have an opinion.

And this is the point .... way too many people think their opinion on a matter they have no experience of is of value .

In most instances it isn’t .

Here’s an example ... a while back someone asked about dogging , the etiquette etc on here . Most people answered with stuff like they wouldn’t go dogging , it’s dirty etc... If that’s a worthy opinion then I’m mistaken on what’s a valid opinion !

"

I get frustrated when I give my opinion and people assume that I think it's the only correct one.

Like you I don't like to see people giving an opinion that's irrelevant to the question posed.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

I've never experienced nuclear winter....

But guess what....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I've never experienced nuclear winter....

But guess what.... "

I've got an opinion on flaming everything. It doesn't half get on people's nerves

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Etc etc etc

I've never murdered, been murdered, or had any family or close friends murdered.

I still believe my opinion of murder is justified and valid."

If someone asked for people’s opinion on murder , whatever your opinion was , it would be valid .

If someone says how do I cope with the after effects of my partner / parent / child / friend being murdered , your opinion would be less valid .

Post new Message to Thread