Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rescue dogs

Jump to newest

By *arnayguy OP   Man
over a year ago

Durham Tees

I really admire people who take in rescue pets and I intend to do so when my circumstances are more suitable. But at the risk of offending people I just want to know your views on something.

We have far too many unwanted dogs. Loads of them are euthanised every day due to the shortage of willing potential owners. So if we can't rehome the animals we already have, why are we bringing more in from places like Romania? Surely we should be encouraging people to rehome those pets who are here and in need?

Should we introduce an import tax on dogs and cats to encourage people to look at their local rescue centres first? I know they deserve a good home but I can't see the logic at the moment,not when I see how many are available on sites close to me.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

Ive often thought the same...

Also, do these Romainian dogs even understand English? Have you got to retrain them in a second language?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The problem is that the dogs that need rehoming come with a list of specific needs.

E.g. must be only dog

No kids under 12

Need large garden or

country home

The list goes on. There's adoption fees to consider. It's not as easy as it looks.

over a year ago

I guess it's supply and demand? Not everyone wants a rescue Springer spaniel because it needs lots of exercise, where if they select a suitable breed it doesn't?

I wasn't aware there was a Romanian pet import crisis ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Look. Dear heart. After hearing that 'hardened idlers' are going to be prosecuted I feel that the world is sufficiently fucking twisted for me not to think about taxing doggies........ save them all I say.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I know someone that brought an animal in from a abroad and they had to pay importation costs along with having it vaccinated to UK standards. They also had to be prepared for any potential medical bills as they come with very little information.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

You might be seeing puppy or dog sales OP but they'd sit in quarantine if they didn't have appropriate documentation.

over a year ago

"Look. Dear heart. After hearing that 'hardened idlers' are going to be prosecuted I feel that the world is sufficiently fucking twisted for me not to think about taxing doggies........ save them all I say. "

Is this creative expression alcohol fuelled?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

We have 2 rescue dogs from Ireland and did look at homing from closer to us but the vast majority are staffy type / staffy cross and whilst we know that they make great pets and are much maligned as a breed we wanted collies/ collie cross so used a local rescue charity who rescue from mainly Ireland and Wales..

i get the point about dogs from Romania, Greece etc but its down to the people who are taking on the dog/dogs where they choose to rescue from..

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

Friends of ours imported two Rottweiller puppies from Spain. They had to pay all the import tax, quarentine and vetenary bills, they were both riddled with fleas and worms and it was touch and go that one of them was going to live it was so poorly. Thankfully both survived but I still had to ask why they imported and didnt rehome from Battersea or DogsTrust? Their answer... they wanted two puppies and they couldnt get two from here.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Look. Dear heart. After hearing that 'hardened idlers' are going to be prosecuted I feel that the world is sufficiently fucking twisted for me not to think about taxing doggies........ save them all I say.

Is this creative expression alcohol fuelled? "

At half seven on a Wednesday ? What do you think ?

Short answer NO.

over a year ago

"The problem is that the dogs that need rehoming come with a list of specific needs.

E.g. must be only dog

No kids under 12

Need large garden or

country home

The list goes on. There's adoption fees to consider. It's not as easy as it looks. "

I quite agree, my sister recently tried to rehome a dog via all her local dog santuarys. But she was refused because they said her fence is too low, she would have had it raised but wasn't given that option. She had a German shepherd dog before but he died from old age. She's now looking at a puppy instead.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

P.S. Rolling eye emoji. Why did you choose it and use it ?

over a year ago

"P.S. Rolling eye emoji. Why did you choose it and use it ?"

I'm not sure, possibly the half cider I drank in the hotel bar, or maybe now Soxy has gone no one else seems to ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"P.S. Rolling eye emoji. Why did you choose it and use it ?

I'm not sure, possibly the half cider I drank in the hotel bar, or maybe now Soxy has gone no one else seems to ? "

Now a half cider is no excuse. It's just a pleasure

Thanks for saying Soxy. Hope she's smiling rather than rolling.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Profit perhaps?

No limits to what some will do for money...

Poor bloody animals...

Show me a puppy and....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Friends of ours imported two Rottweiller puppies from Spain. They had to pay all the import tax, quarentine and vetenary bills, they were both riddled with fleas and worms and it was touch and go that one of them was going to live it was so poorly. Thankfully both survived but I still had to ask why they imported and didnt rehome from Battersea or DogsTrust? Their answer... they wanted two puppies and they couldnt get two from here."

EAL dogs. You have to admire the owner.

over a year ago

OP I partially agree...

I know a few people who've rehomed rescue dogs from overseas and have had to deal with terrible behaviour problems; although sadly this is similar with plenty of rescue dogs in this country.

I'm not sure additional taxes would help. Unless of course it was targeted instead at breeders in this country to help deal with the awful problem of over breeding.

And don't get me started on designer cross breeds... Or as I like to call them 'mongrels'

over a year ago

I think dog breeders should be highly regulated at worse and banned at best

over a year ago

"Look. Dear heart. After hearing that 'hardened idlers' are going to be prosecuted I feel that the world is sufficiently fucking twisted for me not to think about taxing doggies........ save them all I say.

Is this creative expression alcohol fuelled? "

over a year ago

It doesn't matter what country the dog is in. Dogs in other countries don't deserve our help any less than dogs here.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Op I have seen a lot of small rescues around here who bring dogs into the uk from overseas as well as rehoming uk dogs.

I’ve often thought that we should be trying to deal with the problem of uk dogs in need before we import more. I know these poor creatures are often suffering terrible cruelty and inhumane conditions but I do wonder if bringing them here to just sit in a rescue kennel is really for the best

By *arnayguy OP   Man
over a year ago

Durham Tees

Thanks for all your responses. It's an interesting cross section of views. I do fear some kind people bringing in some of the dogs will not be able to cope with the medical side and they will end up in a rehoming centre here, but that could happen with any rehoming dog I suppose.

Sadly we can't home them all.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

The current dog is a rescue dog, we got her at 3 years old. We were her 4 or 5 owner, no wonder the poor thing hates being left alone.

The last family dog was rescued, but from a farm. She was a border collie that didn't like being trained, as got hit by the farmer. We got her luckily, as she was due to be shot. She was the best friend anyone could have.

over a year ago

I have had rescue dogs in the past,all been golden retrievers, been very luck as far as behaviour has been concerned, it's the potential vet bills which can be high.

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

rescued 2 cats from a home 7 months ago both as happy as larry and fit and well we love them to bits

over a year ago

I've got 3. Really need to stop now

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Rescued a lab x while we lived in cyprus with our other 2 dogs(both not rescued)..why ? Well as it happened she found us as she was dumped in the village we lived in and was clever enough to watch our dogs being walked and followed them home not once but twice.. being a soft touch mr d fed and watered her away from where we were living and you know what...the next morning we found her curled up asleep on our door mat.. couldn’t not give her a second chance in life....so glad we did to

By *arnayguy OP   Man
over a year ago

Durham Tees

I read some similar articles on other sites and while rehoming does seem to work for many, lots of people still have problems. The rules seem to be catching lots of people out. Fence height was mentioned earlier and someone else was refused a small dog because they already had a large dog. Others complain that some rescue organisations charge fees which you would expect from a business. All these things can put prospective adopters off to the point some decide it is easier to buy from breeder.

I just hope the vast majority of the dogs in need here can find their forever home.

Bravo and big hugs to all of you who have taken one in.

Post new Message to Thread