Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Work.....how would you feel?

Jump to newest

By *elma and Shaggy OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bedworth

We have a new supervisor at work. I’m in a call centre environment and know that having my calls listened to is part of the job. Our new supervisor has told us that he is listening to our calls at home and this makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I have raised it with our manager who has brushed it off but I still feel very uneasy. We don’t know if he’s alone while listening, if he’s drinking or doing anything else that wouldn’t be appropriate while listening (he comes across as a little odd and creepy sometimes).

I can’t help but still feel very uncomfortable. Am I being silly?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

From a business point of view your employer is leaving themselves open to all sorts of data protection and security issues. How do they know he isn't recording calls, passing information on to third parties? How do they prove that it isn't possible?

There are some really tough rules coming through in May that can sink a business if there is a data leak. So your employer needs to be careful.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

Can you make calls to home on your own phone? Away from your desk?

If you are using your work phone for personal use, they may be justified in recording all calls...

over a year ago

Bedworth

"Can you make calls to home on your own phone? Away from your desk?

If you are using your work phone for personal use, they may be justified in recording all calls... "

All calls are recorded and I have no problem with that at all, it’s all perfectly normal in this type of job. I don’t use my phone or computer for personal things, I use my mobile for that.

The issue that bothers me is that they are being listened to in someone’s house, not in the office

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

If you are using your work phone for personal use, they may be justified in recording all calls...

All calls are recorded and I have no problem with that at all, it’s all perfectly normal in this type of job. I don’t use my phone or computer for personal things, I use my mobile for that.

The issue that bothers me is that they are being listened to in someone’s house, not in the office "

It would be weird if he was wanking in his office though, don't ya think?

over a year ago

Bedworth

The issue that bothers me is that they are being listened to in someone’s house, not in the office

It would be weird if he was wanking in his office though, don't ya think? "

They say many a true word is spoken in jest..........my instincts about him make me think that him wanking is entirely possible

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"

The issue that bothers me is that they are being listened to in someone’s house, not in the office "

Not sure what difference that makes to be honest. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

They say many a true word is spoken in jest..........my instincts about him make me think that him wanking is entirely possible "

If I'm at home on the clock, I'm wanking. Simple.

over a year ago

What are the kinds of things you are talking about? If it’s something like double glazing then I can’t imagine he would be sitting there wanking to that but if you are a phone sex worker then I could see a problem lol.

In all seriousness I would ask why it’s being taken home? Can this man not monitor calls during working hours? I get things like my job or teaching requires work to go home etc but something like this does seem a little strange unless he is allowed to do it of course.

Geeky x

over a year ago

Why did he tell you where he listens to them? Was it in a conversation?

over a year ago

I would ask why he felt he needed to tell me where he listens to them; unless it was a casual remark when explaining about the calls being recorded.

over a year ago

If he's been given remote access then surely "working from home" is expected of him? Does his contract state office based or something else?

If he's doing his job I don't see the issue. If he wanted to do anything untoward with the calls then I'm pretty sure he'd find a way no matter where he is.

By *ike4362ukMan
over a year ago

Cheshunt

Are you working from home? I can't see how they would be able to tap into your personal phone at home without your recorded permission to do so and with strict guidelines for them.

If that isn't the case then a call to the Information Commissioner is due as they will be breaking existing data protection laws, never mind the new ones.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

They say many a true word is spoken in jest..........my instincts about him make me think that him wanking is entirely possible

If I'm at home on the clock, I'm wanking. Simple. "

...you would!

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

How is that possible? So he is at home but still able to listen to the calls you make/recieve in the office?

Or can he listen to the recordings when he is at home?

Surely that would be in breach of data protection?

By *a Fee VerteWoman
over a year ago

Limbo

They say many a true word is spoken in jest..........my instincts about him make me think that him wanking is entirely possible "

Oh gosh ... you'd have to be very desperate to get off listening to the sort of business calls I used to make/take when I worked a stint in a call centre. Though I did often have to be icily assertive and strict with some callers (uppity solicitors and the like) who thought rules didn't apply to them and would try (unsuccessfully) to call in favours. Maybe that sort of thing is the appeal? But really .... it sounds very unprofessional to be reviewing recordings at home and yes rather strange, apart from data concerns.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It does seem a bit odd to me. Why on earth would he want to do it?

I can't think of any reason other than he's saying "even when I'm not in the office I'm watching you"

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Is it standard practice for managers to do this?

Is it possible that he is merely working from home?

Is he listening to live calls or the recordings?

What is it that makes you uneasy about him listening at home? You mention he might be drinking while doing it...why is that an issue for you?

If he was doing it for unscrupulous reasons surely he wouldn't have told you?

I'd you are dealing with personal data of callers then I would absolutely question why he can access live or recorded calls from home.

over a year ago

evesham

"Are you working from home? I can't see how they would be able to tap into your personal phone at home without your recorded permission to do so and with strict guidelines for them.

If that isn't the case then a call to the Information Commissioner is due as they will be breaking existing data protection laws, never mind the new ones."

it's not personal calls he is listening to. It's the calls made by customers to the call center (I'm assuming!)

over a year ago

Bedworth

"Is it standard practice for managers to do this?

What is it that makes you uneasy about him listening at home? You mention he might be drinking while doing it...why is that an issue for you?

I'd you are dealing with personal data of callers then I would absolutely question why he can access live or recorded calls from home. "

The calls are recorded and accessed via his work laptop. It’s not standard practice for supervisors and managers to listen to the recordings at home, the previous supervisor did so at work and so does our line manager and her manager too. All calls contain personal information from our customers.

He has worked for the business for 25+ years but is new in this role. Our manager brushed it off as him being keen and wanting to earn brownie points. My concerns about him maybe drinking are because we all know that alcohol can impair judgement and from working with him since I started here last September, I know that he drinks at home every night. I also have concerns over the possibility that other people outside of our business may hear these recordings.

over a year ago

"We have a new supervisor at work. I’m in a call centre environment and know that having my calls listened to is part of the job. Our new supervisor has told us that he is listening to our calls at home and this makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I have raised it with our manager who has brushed it off but I still feel very uneasy. We don’t know if he’s alone while listening, if he’s drinking or doing anything else that wouldn’t be appropriate while listening (he comes across as a little odd and creepy sometimes).

I can’t help but still feel very uncomfortable. Am I being silly? "

Yes. Go in and do your job and stop making mountains out of molehills. They guys working from home. You've got him down as an alcoholic...wanking to your calls and telling every Tom Dick n Harry x

over a year ago

evesham

Is there someone higher that you can take your concerns to. However if they are accessible on his laptop that they know he takes home then I'm guessing that although it's not standard process it is an accepted one.

I'm sorry but I still am not sure what the issue with him drinking is though. Is it that he might use the information on the calls? Does your call centre recording equipment blank put personal data? I know when I was managing in a call center almost 10 years ago they were bringing this in so that no one could get the card details etc off recorded calls.

Or is it a more personal concern over him listening to you specifically?

Is it just you that he has told he is listening to the calls?

over a year ago

I'd you are dealing with personal data of callers then I would absolutely question why he can access live or recorded calls from home.

The calls are recorded and accessed via his work laptop. It’s not standard practice for supervisors and managers to listen to the recordings at home, the previous supervisor did so at work and so does our line manager and her manager too. All calls contain personal information from our customers.

He has worked for the business for 25+ years but is new in this role. Our manager brushed it off as him being keen and wanting to earn brownie points. My concerns about him maybe drinking are because we all know that alcohol can impair judgement and from working with him since I started here last September, I know that he drinks at home every night. I also have concerns over the possibility that other people outside of our business may hear these recordings."

There is a lot of ‘if’ ‘buts’ and ‘Maybes’ about this all. If he wasn’t ‘allowed’ to do it then he wouldn’t have access to it at home. You have no idea if he goes home and listens for an hour and then starts drinking etc, you are assuming because you know he drinks every night that he is sitting there half cut making judgments etc.

Unless you have hard proof that he is using these recordings for anything than learning the job better or making sure his employees know what they are talking about, then there is very little you can do, if it isn’t against company practice to listen to these calls outside work hours then of course that’s not right.

My old manager left last September and she wasn’t very good and brought my work place to such a level that we almost closed our doors, we got a new manager in and pulled ourselves back, the point I’m trying to make is old supervisors and managers go for a number of reasons and they need to be replaced, maybe like my old manager the old supervisor wasn’t doing the job correctly and this guy is trying to make it right. Until you have more full facts then I wouldn’t worry.

Geeky x

By *nlovedpaulMan
over a year ago

stone

He has worked for the business for 25+ years but is new in this role. Our manager brushed it off as him being keen and wanting to earn brownie points. My concerns about him maybe drinking are because we all know that alcohol can impair judgement and from working with him since I started here last September, I know that he drinks at home every night. I also have concerns over the possibility that other people outside of our business may hear these recordings."

So I have worked with call centres and been in jobs that have a high proportion of remote or home working. It’s not unusual and doesn’t usually breech data protection as long as PCI compliance is followed for payment information.

About 20 years ago, I was a team leader for a call centre while at university. I used to take calls home on a company laptop and listen to them to complete appraisals, this was already approved by management at the time, other team leaders used to do the same.

Unless there is another reason then unfortunately he isn’t doing anything wrong as long as he has approval from management.

Post new Message to Thread