Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cyclists and cycle paths

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why don’t cyclists use cycle paths ? The fact they don’t holds up the traffic. Two today were next to a cycle path and weren’t using it.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Why don’t cyclists use cycle paths ? The fact they don’t holds up the traffic. Two today were next to a cycle path and weren’t using it. "

Because dog owners can't control their dogs.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Nobody wants a cyclist to do 25mph along a cycle track its not healthy for anyone.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tempted to drive down them. They usually have less potholes than the road

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why don’t cyclists use cycle paths ? The fact they don’t holds up the traffic. Two today were next to a cycle path and weren’t using it. "

Mainly because the cycle paths at the side of the roads are full of pot holes broken glass and other debris pushed off the road.

How long did they hold you up 30 seconds?

Next time I’m on my motorbike and Your in my way I might say the same about you

Reply privately

over a year ago

Depends on the path. Many are not fit for purpose. Shared ones are fucking horrendous for anyone not pooling along at walking pace. And the ones that are nothing g mire than a white line at the side of the road often involve multiple hazards.

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

Ohhh youve done it now

What all the pedal power nation stand side by side and explain why

Oh i mean ride side by side and piss everyone else off !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cycle paths need to see a shrink.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cyclists are angry little creatures who think they own the road, don't follow the rules of the road and get very nasty if you put them in their place.. and that was my experience in few words

Reply privately

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"Depends on the path. Many are not fit for purpose. Shared ones are fucking horrendous for anyone not pooling along at walking pace. And the ones that are nothing g mire than a white line at the side of the road often involve multiple hazards.

"

Yup, yup and yup. Plus cyclists are legally entitled to ride on the road. So why shouldn't they?

I will add I generally hate cyclists (I work in Cambridge FFS), but am willing to acknowledge the above points.

Just if everyone that use the roads did so following the rules and showing a tiny bit of consideration (truck, car, bike, cyclist, pedestrian whatever). It would probably be a lot less painful for everyone...

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Depends on the path. Many are not fit for purpose. Shared ones are fucking horrendous for anyone not pooling along at walking pace. And the ones that are nothing g mire than a white line at the side of the road often involve multiple hazards.

Yup, yup and yup. Plus cyclists are legally entitled to ride on the road. So why shouldn't they?

I will add I generally hate cyclists (I work in Cambridge FFS), but am willing to acknowledge the above points.

Just if everyone that use the roads did so following the rules and showing a tiny bit of consideration (truck, car, bike, cyclist, pedestrian whatever). It would probably be a lot less painful for everyone... "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Just if everyone that use the roads did so following the rules and showing a tiny bit of consideration (truck, car, bike, cyclist, pedestrian whatever). It would probably be a lot less painful for everyone... "

Some people are dicks. The mode of transport rarely changes or influences that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Cyclists are angry little creatures who think they own the road, don't follow the rules of the road and get very nasty if you put them in their place.. and that was my experience in few words "

I suspect that the responses on this thread will show that motorists get far nastier a d far angrier than cyclists. Well that's usually the case when a thread like this appears on here

Reply privately

over a year ago

Somebody explain me why don't cyclists stop at traffic lights?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think cycle paths should be maintained more, such as being swept of road debris. It is annoying to see them not being used for the purpose they were laid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Somebody explain me why don't cyclists stop at traffic lights? "

They do. Or at leat the vast majority do.

Do you want to explain why motorists speed, drink/drug drive, use mobiles while driving? The answer is of course most don't but generalisations work both ways

Reply privately

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Somebody explain me why don't cyclists stop at traffic lights?

Do you want to explain why motorists speed, drink/drug drive, use mobiles while driving? The answer is of course most don't but generalisations work both ways"

But this thread is about cyclists! Typical cyclist defence is to try and shift the blame. If you want to see some of the worst road users in relation to vulnerability, cyclists are it!

As for the jumping of lights? Lots do it and the ones that don't are either the older ones or the ones that shoot up the pathway and cross in the pedestrian area! Come to our town and take a look! (From a pissed off cyclist who is fed up with the majority giving the minority a bad name!)

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

The best bit about lycramen

Is that a huge amount of their lonely wifes are getting some naughty fun whilst that are getting there arse ripped to pieces and getting too tired for a nighttime cuddle!!

Reply privately

By *reeMan
over a year ago

Paisley

I thought the yellow line painted at the side of the road was the cycle path!

Reply privately

By *reeMan
over a year ago

Paisley

I thought the yellow line painted at the side of the road was the cycle path!

Reply privately

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

"

Do you want to explain why motorists speed, drink/drug drive, use mobiles while driving? The answer is of course most don't but generalisations work both ways

But this thread is about cyclists! Typical cyclist defence is to try and shift the blame. If you want to see some of the worst road users in relation to vulnerability, cyclists are it!

"

I don't think anyone was shifting blame there. Simply pointing out that no one group of road users are particularly good or bad, but that there are arseholes everywhere.

Come to my town and I'll point at the boy racers speeding up and down the roads.

I think motorists generally don't like cyclists because they slow them down, even if the cyclists are abiding to the letter of the law.

I know the guys out at the weekend on the country roads round here annoy me, but have to admit they (on the whole) don't do a thing wrong!

;-)

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"The best bit about lycramen

Is that a huge amount of their lonely wifes are getting some naughty fun whilst that are getting there arse ripped to pieces and getting too tired for a nighttime cuddle!!"

Hey! you leave the lycra men alone

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I don't think anyone was shifting blame there. Simply pointing out that no one group of road users are particularly good or bad, but that there are arseholes everywhere.

Come to my town and I'll point at the boy racers speeding up and down the roads.

I think motorists generally don't like cyclists because they slow them down, even if the cyclists are abiding to the letter of the law.

I know the guys out at the weekend on the country roads round here annoy me, but have to admit they (on the whole) don't do a thing wrong!

;-)"

Exactly. I would have thought that it was obvious I was making reference to the sweeping generalisation in tbe question I responded to.

I've been cycling all my life amd I don't know why some cyclists jump lights. And I'm pretty sure that most motorists can't explain why some other motorists are such dicks nor would anyone ever expect them to be able too

Reply privately

over a year ago

I jump red lights on my bike, I've done it all my life, it's pretty easy, you just gotta have your wits about you when doing it.

Why do I do it? Coz I can

Reply privately

over a year ago

Motorists are just pissed about it coz they can't, tough titty , your dry and out of the wind, you don't see me complaining

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"The best bit about lycramen

Is that a huge amount of their lonely wifes are getting some naughty fun whilst that are getting there arse ripped to pieces and getting too tired for a nighttime cuddle!!"

More likey to just be at home with the kids i expect.

Reply privately

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

I had my wing mirror clattered by a twat in lycra... when i beeped my horn to let him know he had done it he stopped, wheeled the cars length he had travelled back and spat on my windscreen, called me a cunt and rode off. Nice chap.

The sooner they bring in the need for registration and insuring bikes the better.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I had my wing mirror clattered by a twat in lycra... when i beeped my horn to let him know he had done it he stopped, wheeled the cars length he had travelled back and spat on my windscreen, called me a cunt and rode off. Nice chap.

The sooner they bring in the need for registration and insuring bikes the better."

Did he know you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Cyclists are angry little creatures who think they own the road, don't follow the rules of the road and get very nasty if you put them in their place.. and that was my experience in few words

I suspect that the responses on this thread will show that motorists get far nastier a d far angrier than cyclists. Well that's usually the case when a thread like this appears on here"

Or it could simply mean there aren't to many cyclists on here.

Reply privately

By *x3anteexxCouple
over a year ago

NW Cheshire

"Why don’t cyclists use cycle paths ? The fact they don’t holds up the traffic. Two today were next to a cycle path and weren’t using it.

Mainly because the cycle paths at the side of the roads are full of pot holes broken glass and other debris pushed off the road.

How long did they hold you up 30 seconds?

Next time I’m on my motorbike and Your in my way I might say the same about you"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I had my wing mirror clattered by a twat in lycra... when i beeped my horn to let him know he had done it he stopped, wheeled the cars length he had travelled back and spat on my windscreen, called me a cunt and rode off. Nice chap.

The sooner they bring in the need for registration and insuring bikes the better."

Well that is out of order but I’m not sure how insurance and registration will work, where would he put the number plate. Also if it was a car driver what would have been the difference

Reply privately

By *tonMessCouple
over a year ago

Slough Windsor ish

The sooner they bring in the need for registration and insuring bikes the better.

Did he know you? "

There was a lovely green tarmac cycle track 3 metres to the left of the road that Slough Borough Council had at great expence provided for cyclists but no he decided he would ride along the white lines in the centre of the road. I was stationary, he knocked the drivers side mirror pedalling past the traffic.

Slough has cycle routes on all the main roads and cctv covering busy areas. You can guarantee if i drove in a cycle lane id get a ticket but he can ride up the middle of the road?

Im not the violent type but if i could have got hold of him id have given him a right wedgey in his stoopid lycra shorts!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I jump red lights on my bike, I've done it all my life, it's pretty easy, you just gotta have your wits about you when doing it.

Why do I do it? Coz I can "

Last group of cyclists I seen going through a red light had to stop when their lead cyclists decided to kiss the front of a van.

Cyclists don't like stopping at traffic lights and roundabouts simply because they can't be arsed taking their shoes out of their cleats.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cycle lanes are just an additional lane that a cyclist has an option to use.

That information is part of the highway code. Which any road user should know.

Can be annoying if you have to go past a few, but we all just have to go with the flow - even if the flow is a bit slower than we would like.

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Cyclist don't have to use the cycle paths, its their choice. I prefer the roads as cycle paths are often shared with pedestrians; I average @ 20mph and don't want to contend with on-coming cyclists sharing a narrow strip of pavement, runners using both the cycle path side and the pedestrian side of the pavement and of course pedestrains.

Someone asked why don't cyclist stop at tragic lights? Most of us do. I could ask, why when I'm coming through a 30 area at 28mph , do car drivers have to over take? And why do car drivers feel the need to over take cyclists on bends with on comming traffic?

Basically there's good and bad cyclists and drivers, the roads are for everyone, just show respect for others and the rules.

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Can I add that every cyclist is one less car on the road...in front of you. Who is slowing who down? Why can I cycle to work in a predictable 25 minutes & my car driving co workers can take any where from 20 - 60 mins plus .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Did he know you?

There was a lovely green tarmac cycle track 3 metres to the left of the road that Slough Borough Council had at great expence provided for cyclists but no he decided he would ride along the white lines in the centre of the road. I was stationary, he knocked the drivers side mirror pedalling past the traffic.

Slough has cycle routes on all the main roads and cctv covering busy areas. You can guarantee if i drove in a cycle lane id get a ticket but he can ride up the middle of the road?

Im not the violent type but if i could have got hold of him id have given him a right wedgey in his stoopid lycra shorts! "

I don’t know slough but in Manchester the cycle lanes are a death trap the rest of the roads are just as bad.

He is allowed to ride down the road regardless of whether there is another route available to him, no one tells you which way to go home.

But that being said twatting your wing mirror then spitting on your car is a cunts trick

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think cyclists are very brave, or mad to cycle around London.

Although we don't get many in my part of London, they are usually in the cycle lanes.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I think cyclists are very brave, or mad to cycle around London.

Although we don't get many in my part of London, they are usually in the cycle lanes.

"

True that! I gave up road riding 2 years ago when drivers started seeing cyclists as "sport".

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"I jump red lights on my bike, I've done it all my life, it's pretty easy, you just gotta have your wits about you when doing it.

And. Because I get to work faster than the rows of people stuck in their cars. Yes, it's potentially hazardous, but I'm unlikely to do more damage to the occupant of a 2 ton steel box than they are to me

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

And. Because I get to work faster than the rows of people stuck in their cars. Yes, it's potentially hazardous, but I'm unlikely to do more damage to the occupant of a 2 ton steel box than they are to me"

What about the pedestrians?

Reply privately

over a year ago

And. Because I get to work faster than the rows of people stuck in their cars. Yes, it's potentially hazardous, but I'm unlikely to do more damage to the occupant of a 2 ton steel box than they are to me

What about the pedestrians?"

I was hit by a bike on a pavement when I was a kid. The man didn't even stop to see if I was ok.

Ironically, I was on my way back from my St John's ambulance first aid classes.

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"Motorists are just pissed about it coz they can't, tough titty , your dry and out of the wind, you don't see me complaining "

Of course they could get bikes too Dave.

I doubt it's because they're so law-abiding and god-fearing to disobey a traffic signal. There's only really 2 reasons. Too lazy. And too chickenshit as a result of all the lazy motorists saying how dangerous it must be.

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

What about the pedestrians?

I was hit by a bike on a pavement when I was a kid. The man didn't even stop to see if I was ok.

Ironically, I was on my way back from my St John's ambulance first aid classes. "

Don't understand. Nobody is advocating cycling on the pavement. We're all saying use the road responsibly

Reply privately

over a year ago

Same as drivers of Mercedes cars not signalling

Reply privately

over a year ago

Perhaps they should try taking the cleats out of their arses

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"Same as drivers of Mercedes cars not signalling"

Why would we signal?

Im not warning any mamil im gonna side swipe then!!

We evolved from trikes stick to the paths

Reply privately

over a year ago

Last group of cyclists I seen going through a red light had to stop when their lead cyclists decided to kiss the front of a van.

Cyclists don't like stopping at traffic lights and roundabouts simply because they can't be arsed taking their shoes out of their cleats."

Wouldn't bother me I can brake balance for minutes quite easily, I've been riding a bike for ooooo 45 years now, seemed to have managed so far ok

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Motorists are just pissed about it coz they can't, tough titty , your dry and out of the wind, you don't see me complaining

I doubt it's because they're so law-abiding and god-fearing to disobey a traffic signal. There's only really 2 reasons. Too lazy. And too chickenshit as a result of all the lazy motorists saying how dangerous it must be."

No you had it right first time, there just lazy feckers who don't like seeing cyclists razz past them while there stuck in endless hours of fucking traffic going nowhere and getting brain fucked in the process.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some of us do. We don't want to die under the wheels of a lorry or 4x4.

Reply privately

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

"I think cycle paths should be maintained more, such as being swept of road debris. It is annoying to see them not being used for the purpose they were laid."

I agree with this. To cover the cost of maintenance all cyclists should have to take a test and then register for a licence. Once they have this they should get insurance and a certificate to say their bike is suitable and fit to be allowed to use the paths. All bikes (or bike helmets) should also be fitted with a distinguishing plate, similar to a car number plate so they can be identified in case of an accident or when they break the rules.

Seems fair to me.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I think cycle paths should be maintained more, such as being swept of road debris. It is annoying to see them not being used for the purpose they were laid.

I agree with this. To cover the cost of maintenance all cyclists should have to take a test and then register for a licence. Once they have this they should get insurance and a certificate to say their bike is suitable and fit to be allowed to use the paths. All bikes (or bike helmets) should also be fitted with a distinguishing plate, similar to a car number plate so they can be identified in case of an accident or when they break the rules.

Seems fair to me."

Jeez! What's the insurance gonna be for my 8 year old?!

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I think cycle paths should be maintained more, such as being swept of road debris. It is annoying to see them not being used for the purpose they were laid.

Seems fair to me."

What do we charge pedestrians for the upkeep of their pavements (that not all of them use all of the time)

Do they also have to have insurance and a special plate inserted somewhere because they cause accidents too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seems fair to me."

You must really love sitting in traffic jams fella. Cos we do what you suggest no one will ride a bike. There must be hundreds of thousands of cyclists and they will all be in cars in front of you. Sounds like a fantastic idea, I don’t care I ride a motorbike

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Im a rd cyclist for leisure only and always use the roads were possible a cycle lane.

I wouldn't dream of using a cycle path its far to dangerous due to people, dogs etc sometimes traveling upto 30mph with cleats on its an accident waiting to happen.

I pay rd tax for my car.

I also always adere to the highway code and think all cyclist should, I dont understand why they jump lights etc. Cyclist should also wear helmets in my opinion.

Having a test wouldnt be a bad idea as some cyclist may not also be motorist.

It's all about weight for me so I will not be having some bloody reg plate flapping around hah xx

Reply privately

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

This in one thing that puzzles me. The last time I looked at the Highway Code it clearly stated that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes. However, there is also the fact that states a round blue sign with a white border is a sign giving an order - blue circular sign with an arrow pointing left - all traffic must turn left. So, on that basis, a round blue sign with a bicycle in it must mean compulsory cycle route! Now is the HC contradicting itself or is there a distinction between some white paint in the side of the road and a lane painted in an area away from the main carriageway?

Also, I often see complaints about the "poor design" of cycleways where cyclists are forced to slow down because of insufficient room. Far from poor design, I see it as using the infrastructure

to control speeds of cyclists where pedestrians, for example, would be present.

As for the poor condition of footpaths, cycleways and roads, I wouldn`t suggest contaction the council directly, but use a website called Fix My Street. It`s free to use and the councils have no control over what`s posted (Adim will remove anything inappropriate!) and it`s embarrassing for the councils to see their problems aired for all to see!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cyclists are generally only an issue for drivers who lack basic decency and driving skill.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sometimes I'm not going where the path is and I'm about to turn off the main road.

But thanks to the very angry people who shout at me to get on the cycle path when I'm going a different way.

It must be very stressful having to worry about things like that.

Reply privately

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

"Cyclists are generally only an issue for drivers who lack basic decency and driving skill. "

Try being a pedestrian on the Bristol Footpath and Cycleway in Bristol, especially near the Bitton Railway! The whole of the trail is treated like the cyclists private training track!

Reply privately

over a year ago

You do know that you would have been entitled to stop him and demand his name, address and home insurance details right? Because under the home insurance policy you can claim off of any cyclist for damages they have caused. It's a little known fact, and if they aren't insured then you have the right to call the police for damage to personal property which in turn allows you to take them to small claims court for reimbursement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't be so bloody sensible!

C

Reply privately

over a year ago

You do know that you would have been entitled to stop him and demand his name, address and home insurance details right? Because under the home insurance policy you can claim off of any cyclist for damages they have caused. It's a little known fact, and if they aren't insured then you have the right to call the police for damage to personal property which in turn allows you to take them to small claims court for reimbursement.

"

I think this information is a little dubious!!

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

I hate being a pedestrian on Cambridge because of the cyclists. The amount of times I've almost been hit by one sailing through a red light when I'm crossing the road!

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Thanks, it's people like you that scare the s*it out of me when it is my right of way crossing a road.

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I ride insured anyway & if cyclists are to pay a 'maintenance tax' be prepared for more delays as infrastructure is extended & improved to justify..oh & see vehicle excise licence go up, cyclists do nowhere near the damage to roads that cars, trucks & buses do...or the environment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is a speed limit on cycle lanes, so those road cyclists going really fast can't use them. It's logical isn't it really, pedestrians are often in the cycle lane round my way, a fast cyclist could easily cause them some very nasty damage. Cycle lanes are for people going from a to b p, my for speed roadbikers. They don't pay road tax because they don't damage the road. I cross roads in foot but I don't pay do i?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's not called Car Tax or Road Tax, it's called Vehicle Excise Duty and all it is does is charge vehicle owners for the right to use public roads....... Since pedestrians, cyclists or horses even are not vehicles they are not liable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thanks, it's people like you that scare the s*it out of me when it is my right of way crossing a road."

Don't panic, keep a straight line and a steady speed and I'll make sure we never crash

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is so much misunderstanding in this thread.

The tax a vehicle pays is based on emissions. This is because as a country we have to pay a world organisation based on pollution we create. So the more we pollute, the more we pay. So vehicle tax is the owner paying for the pollution they create towards the bill the country has to pay. Hence why some vehicles are tax exempt as they have zero emissions. And the more emissions the higher the tax.

So road repairs are paid by your local council

Reply privately

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

A cyclist puts a post on witb a suggestion or idea and is shot down in flames by motorists. A motorist puts on a similar post and is shot down by cyclists.

Thete are some good ideas on here from both sides (and some fairly bad ones too). Surely as a supposedly intelligent and forward thinking nation we shoukd be able ti sort this out amicably? We'll never please all the people all of the time but it's obvious to me that something needs to be done.

Reply privately

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

I know the feeling. Empty cycle path. And they decide to clycle in the middle of the road on a 60mph road.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is so much misunderstanding in this thread.

The tax a vehicle pays is based on emissions. This is because as a country we have to pay a world organisation based on pollution we create. So the more we pollute, the more we pay. So vehicle tax is the owner paying for the pollution they create towards the bill the country has to pay. Hence why some vehicles are tax exempt as they have zero emissions. And the more emissions the higher the tax.

So road repairs are paid by your local council"

Ooh yes.

Which organisation do we fork out out to then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Cyclists are angry little creatures who think they own the road, don't follow the rules of the road and get very nasty if you put them in their place.. and that was my experience in few words "

Weirdly enough I find that with an awful lot of drivers whether I'm cycling or driving.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seems fair to me."

Let's do the same for pedestrians too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like to do wheelies while jumping red lights as well

Reply privately

over a year ago

Funnily enough someone nailed the response to the OP on one of the first responses. Ie, a prick is a prick regardless of their mode of vehicle.

Having only recently started driving after 20+ years of cycling and using public transport I'd like to think I'm a conscientious driver, in the same way I've always been a respectful cyclist. Why? Because I value my life as much as everyone else's and you only get one chance at life. Bell-endery on a road will only see you ending up in a casket and some people put saving 30 seconds over saving their life.

Reply privately

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

Bit fed up of the ire towards cyclists by society in general. Perhaps we should all just drive cars and add to the congestion, then we'll see how much time is saved.

A cyclist on the road is one less car they're not driving.

Reply privately

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

"Motorists are just pissed about it coz they can't, tough titty , your dry and out of the wind, you don't see me complaining

I doubt it's because they're so law-abiding and god-fearing to disobey a traffic signal. There's only really 2 reasons. Too lazy. And too chickenshit as a result of all the lazy motorists saying how dangerous it must be..

No you had it right first time, there just lazy feckers who don't like seeing cyclists razz past them while there stuck in endless hours of fucking traffic going nowhere and getting brain fucked in the process.

"

This.

Don't make me post that fox and the sour grapes story again.

Reply privately

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

[Removed by poster at 21/03/18 21:13:56]

Reply privately

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

And let us not forget that public highways would not exist were it not for droving.

I had a neighbour that used to delight in telling motorists this as we walked all 200 head of his cattle to their summer grazing....

Reply privately

By *hispers-40Woman
over a year ago

up the garden path

"Tempted to drive down them. They usually have less potholes than the road "

Reply privately

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Thanks, it's people like you that scare the s*it out of me when it is my right of way crossing a road..

Don't panic, keep a straight line and a steady speed and I'll make sure we never crash"

Actually, when the cyclists come flying through the red light right where you are, you have no choice but to stop. Arrogant idiot!

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Tempted to drive down them. They usually have less potholes than the road

"

...at the average speed of city traffic no doubt!

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

They're an option, not mandated - the cyclists may know their route well, such as needing to soon bear right, which may be more dangerous if emerging from a more isolated left position.

They may also be car drivers and know the general lanes better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've cycled in the past and I try tongive cylists room. Many of them probably own cars but choose to cycle as its often quicker.

My only moan is the tendency of sone to weave around traffic means as a driver you need eyes in the back of your head when turning.

But as someone said some are idiots no matter what mode of transport.

Anyway its nice to follow a female on her bike in lycra leggings.

Reply privately

By *olieandSlaveCouple
over a year ago

Stafford

Tagging this thread to use the block feature later on.

If you are interested in getting to your destination as quick as you can with no care and regard for the other 'road user' ..... perhaps you are not what I am looking for in a fuck!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thanks, it's people like you that scare the s*it out of me when it is my right of way crossing a road..

Don't panic, keep a straight line and a steady speed and I'll make sure we never crash

Actually, when the cyclists come flying through the red light right where you are, you have no choice but to stop. Arrogant idiot!"

I've never made a car stop in my life, if there's a gap I can get through without causing problems, I get through it.

It's not rocket science

Reply privately

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

Yeah damn pedestrians and dog walkers want to keep of the cycle tracks making us cyclists slow down all the time.

Reply privately

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

"They're an option, not mandated - the cyclists may know their route well, such as needing to soon bear right, which may be more dangerous if emerging from a more isolated left position.

They may also be car drivers and know the general lanes better."

Read my comments above about road signs!

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Tagging this thread to use the block feature later on.

If you are interested in getting to your destination as quick as you can with no care and regard for the other 'road user' ..... perhaps you are not what I am looking for in a fuck! "

Oh no! I was definitely up for a trip to Staffford!

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you are interested in getting to your destination as quick as you can with no care and regard for the other 'road user' ..... perhaps you are not what I am looking for in a fuck!

Oh no! I was definitely up for a trip to Staffford! "

On yer bike..... And remember to stop at all the lights

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

If you are interested in getting to your destination as quick as you can with no care and regard for the other 'road user' ..... perhaps you are not what I am looking for in a fuck! "

I can imagine but looking at profile I think you’d like to borrow his bike lock!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

When I used to cycle I would always see another 'cyclist' on the same route I took to work and he would always run the same red light at what is usually a very busy junction, albeit this would approx 5am but still!! To top it off he wouldn't have lights, a helmet, reflective clothing and worst of all wouldn't even be holding the handle bars. I called him out for it a few times and he'd just berate me with harsh language.

I would always stop for red lights, the only exception to this would be roundabouts and in that instance I would get off and walk my bike across the pedestrian crossings. I did this because A) I didn't have the confidence to ride round it safely and B) using the roads in Bradford is dangerous enough as it is.

I quit cycling because I was a victim of a hit and run. I was due to go on a family holiday and was meeting my mother for lunch to give her the keys as she house sitting. As it was a nice sunny day I opted to cycle to town. As I got approx half a mile outside the city centre there was a slight traffic jam. I very carefully navigated my way past the line of cars (mainly to avoid tagging them as I wouldn't have been able to afford any repairs) as traffic opened up and got moving I was blind sided by a car which sent my flying over the handle bars. A broken ankle, fractured wrist, dislocated shoulder and torn ACL and MCL in my knee, As well as various cuts and bruises.

The driver stopped and got out, so through the pain I assumed it was an accident until he said "that's what you get for cycling" got in his car and left me there like roadkill.

My point is there's assholes and decent folk in every walk of life. Nothing we can do about it and there's bigger things in the world to worry about

Reply privately

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

I still think cyclists should have a minimum of 3rd party insurance as they are riding on the road, but dont know how it would be implemented. I also thought it was law to have lights on the bike at night. Scarey when a cyclist jumps off the pavement at night when its dark with no lights

Reply privately

By *olieandSlaveCouple
over a year ago

Stafford

I can imagine but looking at profile I think you’d like to borrow his bike lock!!"

I let other men park their bike in my garage.... just not my husband!

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I still think cyclists should have a minimum of 3rd party insurance as they are riding on the road, but dont know how it would be implemented. I also thought it was law to have lights on the bike at night. Scarey when a cyclist jumps off the pavement at night when its dark with no lights"

Again, you're confusing cyclists with "cunts who happen to be on bicycles". The same distinction can be used for people who drive cars.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In the same way as why do some people drive like selfish w*nkers. There are good and bad on the road. Unfortunately, it's getting awful out there

Reply privately

over a year ago

The reason we need so much health and safety is because most people just breeze through they're day in a complete brain dead haze, add to that they most people are crap at driving or riding a bike and voila, we need more and more checks and balances to keep the sheeple safe from their own folly.

All day every day you'll see people step off pavements without looking, mother's push prams out around blind corners, toddlers being walked on the road side of the pavement, drivers in a cotton wool ball, people who just can't cycle giving it a go on the busiest of roads.

We're just not "switched on" any more when doing things that have an element of danger to them.

No laws were broken, no cunts, no idiots, just unswitched on people meandering through life in a haze.

Reply privately

By *olieandSlaveCouple
over a year ago

Stafford

Oh no! I was definitely up for a trip to Staffford! "

I wasnt as clear as I could have been, but was defending cyclists!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The reason we need so much health and safety is because most people just breeze through they're day in a complete brain dead haze, add to that they most people are crap at driving or riding a bike and voila, we need more and more checks and balances to keep the sheeple safe from their own folly.

All day every day you'll see people step off pavements without looking, mother's push prams out around blind corners, toddlers being walked on the road side of the pavement, drivers in a cotton wool ball, people who just can't cycle giving it a go on the busiest of roads.

We're just not "switched on" any more when doing things that have an element of danger to them.

No laws were broken, no cunts, no idiots, just unswitched on people meandering through life in a haze.

"

everyone? Don't tell me you're not one of those idiots?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

I wasnt as clear as I could have been, but was defending cyclists! "

I got it

Reply privately

By *olieandSlaveCouple
over a year ago

Stafford

I got it "

Thanks Evie! Secret work fabbing in small offices means brevity of messages!

Reply privately

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

I'll see your traffic lights question and raise you...

Somebody explain me why car drivers break the speed limit and park dangerously outside schools.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The reason we need so much health and safety is because most people just breeze through they're day in a complete brain dead haze, add to that they most people are crap at driving or riding a bike and voila, we need more and more checks and balances to keep the sheeple safe from their own folly.

everyone? Don't tell me you're not one of those idiots? "

. EVERYONE?

You'll never make a proof reader will you.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

I wasnt as clear as I could have been, but was defending cyclists! "

It didn't matter. My pet forum hate is "this thread is such a good filter" like we'd have planned to meet anyway! . You catch my drift.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll see your traffic lights question and raise you...

Somebody explain me why car drivers break the speed limit and park dangerously outside schools."

Or park in cycle lanes and then throw their rubbish in cycle lanes??

About the lights - I get you, we will hold on until green but please dont moan that we didnt go when it was safe to do so and your are now held up waiting for us to get up to speed and get past the junction and other cars!

Cycled all over the world - only had problems in the UK.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It didn't matter. My pet forum hate is "this thread is such a good filter" like we'd have planned to meet anyway! . You catch my drift. "

My filter is people who say I'm using this as a filter.... Ooh bollocks, now I've gotta block myself.

Wait no, let's say people who use the forums are the best filter.

That's easier.

DOH

Reply privately

over a year ago

I feel it's time for a bit of Billy ocean.

Red light, spells danger

Reply privately

over a year ago

Amber light means...

Peddle faster, it's about to turn red

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"I still think cyclists should have a minimum of 3rd party insurance as they are riding on the road, but dont know how it would be implemented. I also thought it was law to have lights on the bike at night. Scarey when a cyclist jumps off the pavement at night when its dark with no lights"

Most cyclists do have third party insurance, either as part of their home policy, or a cycle specific policy. If you have membership of a cycling club or a British Cycling member you get £5million third party libiltity. It’s worth getting for the legal cover to help sue the driver that runs into you whilst putting their lipstick on or trying to control the car load of kids.

I’d be all for making it (insurance) compulsory, once it had been proven to me that their wasn’t a single uninsured motor vehicle or MOT failiure death trap on the road.

Yes, cyclists should have lights when riding on the road at night but you still have an obligation not to drive into them. Lumping everyone who rides a bike in the same category is as unhelpful as lumping in everyone who has ever driven a car. I need to be compared to a 15 year old kid dropping off drugs on a stolen mountain bike just as little as you need to to be compared to a bunch of delinquents doing donuts in McDonald’s car park.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"I feel it's time for a bit of Billy ocean.

Red light, spells danger

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I still think cyclists should have a minimum of 3rd party insurance as they are riding on the road, but dont know how it would be implemented. I also thought it was law to have lights on the bike at night. Scarey when a cyclist jumps off the pavement at night when its dark with no lights

Most cyclists do have third party insurance, either as part of their home policy, or a cycle specific policy. If you have membership of a cycling club or a British Cycling member you get £5million third party libiltity. It’s worth getting for the legal cover to help sue the driver that runs into you whilst putting their lipstick on or trying to control the car load of kids.

I’d be all for making it (insurance) compulsory, once it had been proven to me that their wasn’t a single uninsured motor vehicle or MOT failiure death trap on the road.

Yes, cyclists should have lights when riding on the road at night but you still have an obligation not to drive into them. Lumping everyone who rides a bike in the same category is as unhelpful as lumping in everyone who has ever driven a car. I need to be compared to a 15 year old kid dropping off drugs on a stolen mountain bike just as little as you need to to be compared to a bunch of delinquents doing donuts in McDonald’s car park."

This^^^

I dont judge all parent by the scummy mummys I see using a push chair without due care and attention while smoking and texting!

I dont judge all drivers by the guy who nearly took me out last week in his 4ton lump of metal while texting at the wheel!

I dont judge all walkers by the weekend wankers in the hills and mountains who obviously are city folk who seem to shout obscenities at you rather than move 1 foot when I say excuse me.

Suppose it all about who you are! Judge people by your own standards is a pretty good saying!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can’t believe people going on about cyclists on Fab. But to answer the question, cycle paths are usually in a bad state, the debris ends up there, causing punctures, also you get cars pulling out of side roads etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Can’t believe people going on about cyclists on Fab. But to answer the question, cycle paths are usually in a bad state, the debris ends up there, causing punctures, also you get cars pulling out of side roads etc"

Why can't we talk about cyclists on fab?

Reply privately

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

Hey im not slagging off cyclists, and yes agree that some drivers dont have insurance, but as for us driving into them when they have no lights well if they had lights we would all be able to see them.

But again on the flip side drivers get lumped into the same category as we all want to kill cyclists. I only overtake when safe to do so, same as i would do for any other road user.

I have been stationary and had a cyclist ride into the front of my car while he had his head turned chatting to his friend, but that doesnt make every cyclist a numpty the same as not making every driver one too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People moan about cyclists but its normally the middle aged big steve in snide rapha gear. Had a few cat calls from cars about the bum. Honk for a shake wahey

Reply privately

By *reemindCoolMan
over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

spot on

Reply privately

By *xyzptlk088Man
over a year ago

Galway

it's probably because they are self entitled gomeys pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply privately

over a year ago

You missed out the word "some"

Just like "some" drivers drive like dicks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You missed out the word "some"

Just like "some" drivers drive like dicks.

"

Well said

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

The ones in Brighton usually have numpties walking in them listening to their headphones, I got fed up straightening my handlebars after hitting them at about 25mph.

The ones in Merseyside have broken glass in them, you get fed up with getting punctures.

Cyclists are allowed to use the roads, just make sure you give the required 3 foot gap when you over take them.

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

[Removed by poster at 22/03/18 22:01:15]

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

How can you cycle with 3 feet

Reply privately

By *iverscuMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

Cycling and cyclists aren't the problem. People being idiots are.

Thing is, these same idiots can ride bikes, drive cars and lorry's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

it would be a good thing if people just read the highway code instead learning their road etiquette from jeremy clarkson or the british cycling federation

Reply privately

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

"The ones in Brighton usually have numpties walking in them listening to their headphones, I got fed up straightening my handlebars after hitting them at about 25mph.

The ones in Merseyside have broken glass in them, you get fed up with getting punctures.

Cyclists are allowed to use the roads, just make sure you give the required 3 foot gap when you over take them."

3 foot? I was taught 6 foot!! I can hear my driving instructor now "three feet from parked cars, six feet from cyclists!

As for you doing 25 MPH on a cycle/foot path where pedestrians are, especially very young children, you deserve to be knocked off!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Can’t believe people going on about cyclists on Fab. But to answer the question, cycle paths are usually in a bad state, the debris ends up there, causing punctures, also you get cars pulling out of side roads etc

Why can't we talk about cyclists on fab? "

No reason, I’m cycling from lands end to John o groats in June, just didn’t expect cycling to be mentioned on a swingers site!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The ones in Brighton usually have numpties walking in them listening to their headphones, I got fed up straightening my handlebars after hitting them at about 25mph.

Cyclists are allowed to use the roads, just make sure you give the required 3 foot gap when you over take them.

3 foot? I was taught 6 foot!! I can hear my driving instructor now "three feet from parked cars, six feet from cyclists!

As for you doing 25 MPH on a cycle/foot path where pedestrians are, especially very young children, you deserve to be knocked off!"

there isn't one

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Can’t believe people going on about cyclists on Fab. But to answer the question, cycle paths are usually in a bad state, the debris ends up there, causing punctures, also you get cars pulling out of side roads etc

Why can't we talk about cyclists on fab? No reason, I’m cycling from lands end to John o groats in June, just didn’t expect cycling to be mentioned on a swingers site! "

We chat about alsorts of shit on here lol there is more to us than sexy times

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

As for you doing 25 MPH on a cycle/foot path where pedestrians are, especially very young children, you deserve to be knocked off!"

The good people in Brighton council deemed it perfectly safe to paint a line down the pavement, marking quite clearly the numpties area from the cycle path. Not my fault people don't notice the line, or aren't spatially aware of their surroundings. Luckily for them a cyclist bit them, not a car.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That’s cool, there’s more to life than just sex (I think)!

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

West Midlands Police’s announcement last month that they would start prosecuting motorists for not giving people on bikes sufficient room was hailed by the charity Cycling UK as “the best road cyclist safety initiative ever.”

West Midlands Police issues prosecution notices to 14 close-pass drivers

It has led to calls for forces elsewhere to follow suit, with Metropolitan Police officers in the London Borough of Camden already saying that they will do so, including deploying plain clothes officers on bikes.

What the Birmingham police force implemented recently.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"West Midlands Police’s announcement last month that they would start prosecuting motorists for not giving people on bikes sufficient room was hailed by the charity Cycling UK as “the best road cyclist safety initiative ever.”

It has led to calls for forces elsewhere to follow suit, with Metropolitan Police officers in the London Borough of Camden already saying that they will do so, including deploying plain clothes officers on bikes.

What the Birmingham police force implemented recently."

1.5 metres minimum. Many drivers don't allow half this in my experience.

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

"West Midlands Police’s announcement last month that they would start prosecuting motorists for not giving people on bikes sufficient room was hailed by the charity Cycling UK as “the best road cyclist safety initiative ever.”

I'm under cover...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Coincidentally this was launched in Hertfordshire this week, the forst day saw a handfull of officers out for 3 hours and multiple arrests for close passes, using mobiles while driving and driving without a seatbelt.

Reply privately

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Ok, if what you're saying is in jest, then HaHa!

If on the other hand, you're being serious, then it's the eejits like you who give cycling a bad name!

Reply privately

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

You'll suffer less being crashed into by a cyclist than an uninsured driver.

At least there are fewer uninsured drivers on the road these days, according to the mirror last year only 1 million

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/more-people-ever-being-hit-11081323

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cyclist think they own the road

They wind me up ..especially at traffic lights when they pull up right in front of me when I'm first away .

Why not just stay over to the left so I , the car can pull away at normal speed instead of at mph because I have to follow you

Use common sense cyclist ...or take the bus .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why can't we show tolerance for all road users, doesn't matter whether you have two wheels or four. A bit of respect and tolerance ensures everyone has a safe and peaceful journey.

Lose control of your emotions in a situation then you shouldn't be in control of a car imho.

Reply privately

By *odestyB007Woman
over a year ago

Winchester

"Cyclists are angry little creatures who think they own the road, don't follow the rules of the road and get very nasty if you put them in their place.. and that was my experience in few words

Weirdly enough I find that with an awful lot of drivers whether I'm cycling or driving. "

So do I and loads of crappy curb hugging drivers

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Cyclist think they own the road

They wind me up ..especially at traffic lights when they pull up right in front of me when I'm first away .

Why not just stay over to the left so I , the car can pull away at normal speed instead of at mph because I have to follow you

Use common sense cyclist ...or take the bus . "

Same could said for yourself.

Use common sense, let the cyclists go. Or get the bus.

Reply privately

By *oserMan
over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Use common sense, let the cyclists go. Or get the bus."

Knock them out of the way.

There should be a weekly purge of the fookers

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

There should be a weekly purge of the fookers "

What do you mean?

Reply privately

By *oserMan
over a year ago

What do you mean? "

I mean im not a fan of cyclists

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

What do you mean?

I mean im not a fan of cyclists "

Let's hope a driver out there does use the same thought process on a family member of yours.......

Reply privately

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

"Why can't we show tolerance for all road users, doesn't matter whether you have two wheels or four. A bit of respect and tolerance ensures everyone has a safe and peaceful journey.

Lose control of your emotions in a situation then you shouldn't be in control of a car imho. "

Exactly, you don't see cyclists getting all hot headed, frustrated, with the blood pressure boiling over as they're sitting in the traffic jams.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Use common sense cyclist ...or take the bus . "

I used to love doing just this to idiot car drivers, after they passed close by. What I found pathetic was, the car driver wouldn't get close to me till 2nd or 3rd gear once they got away from the lights.

Reply privately

By *oserMan
over a year ago

I used to love doing just this to idiot car drivers, after they passed close by. What I found pathetic was, the car driver wouldn't get close to me till 2nd or 3rd gear once they got away from the lights."

*sigh* (not an acronym)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Another favourite is to ride up next to a numpties car driver that gave me aggro, and put my hand on the roof at lights as I steadied mysemg. The silly faces that made as I laughed at them, then left them due to too much traffic caused by too many cars on the roads.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Local Council spent thousands fir a dedicated cycle lane along a very long road near us. Do the cyclists use it? Like fuck do they. If a path is provided it should be compulsory for cyclists to use it.

Had one smash into my car only last month. He was actually in the cycle lane and I was turning left. As I turned he just ploughed into the side if my car smashing the indicator. Had the fucking cheek to tell me I should give way, that was until I pointed out the STOP lines on the cycle lane. On a good note, his bike was totally fucked and he had to pay my repair bill!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The stretch along hove is better, I got 40 mph according to Strava. I was overtaking cars doing only 30, I hopped off the cycle path in time to set the speed camera off.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Local Council spent thousands fir a dedicated cycle lane along a very long road near us. Do the cyclists use it? Like fuck do they. If a path is provided it should be compulsory for cyclists to use it.

Had one smash into my car only last month. He was actually in the cycle lane and I was turning left. As I turned he just ploughed into the side if my car smashing the indicator. Had the fucking cheek to tell me I should give way, that was until I pointed out the STOP lines on the cycle lane. On a good note, his bike was totally fucked and he had to pay my repair bill!!"

This is why cyclists don't use cycle paths. Stay on the road and you don't have to stop every time there's a side road.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Cycle path" always makes me think of the joke.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I try to avoid roads even with cycle paths as much as I can. Motorists are too inconsiderate/reckless for a cyclist to feel safe on the road

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Local Council spent thousands fir a dedicated cycle lane along a very long road near us. Do the cyclists use it? Like fuck do they. If a path is provided it should be compulsory for cyclists to use it.

Had one smash into my car only last month. He was actually in the cycle lane and I was turning left. As I turned he just ploughed into the side if my car smashing the indicator. Had the fucking cheek to tell me I should give way, that was until I pointed out the STOP lines on the cycle lane. On a good note, his bike was totally fucked and he had to pay my repair bill!!

This is why cyclists don't use cycle paths. Stay on the road and you don't have to stop every time there's a side road. "

No, you get idiots left hooking you the same though.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

This is why cyclists don't use cycle paths. Stay on the road and you don't have to stop every time there's a side road.

No, you get idiots left hooking you the same though."

Been there!

Reply privately

over a year ago

There will never be peace on our roads until drivers and cyclists unite around a common cause. Let's all agree that we hate mobility scooters

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I try to avoid roads even with cycle paths as much as I can. Motorists are too inconsiderate/reckless for a cyclist to feel safe on the road "

Agreed

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Been there! "

That usually carries 3 points, a fine and a compensation claim for the car driver

Reply privately

over a year ago

Car tax isn’t about paying some random organisation for the emissions we put out!! It was our government who decided to start doing that to incentivise people to start driving cars with lower emissions because our cities especially have too much poisonous gases being expelled into them causing serious illness and ultimately death. Car tax was introduced for the upkeep of our roads but has been gradually siphoned off to pay for other public services. Along with by the looks of things paying for our blessed new smart motorways with ever decreasing hard shoulders on them which quite frankly I think is plain dangerous and lunacy in terms of safety especially for people who break down or accident situations..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you want to explain why motorists speed, drink/drug drive, use mobiles while driving? The answer is of course most don't but generalisations work both ways"

Reply privately

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"There will never be peace on our roads until drivers and cyclists unite around a common cause. Let's all agree that we hate mobility scooters"

Great idea ?? really tickled me

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Been there!

That usually carries 3 points, a fine and a compensation claim for the car driver "

Only if they stop. She didn't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The other day I saw a cyclist using his mobile phone whilst cycling on the pavement. He did stop and apologise to the women he hit though, so it was all ok and he didn't have to show his bike licence and registration documents!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

""Cycle path" always makes me think of the joke.

"

What joke?

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

The other day I saw a cyclist using his mobile phone whilst cycling on the pavement. He did stop and apologise to the women he hit though, so it was all ok and he didn't have to show his bike licence and registration documents!!! "

Thank God he wasn't in his car at the time eh?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yesterday I watched a car and a pushbike jump a red light, the same red light at the same time

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Car tax isn’t about paying some random organisation for the emissions we put out!! It was our government who decided to start doing that to incentivise people to start driving cars with lower emissions because our cities especially have too much poisonous gases being expelled into them causing serious illness and ultimately death. Car tax was introduced for the upkeep of our roads but has been gradually siphoned off to pay for other public services. Along with by the looks of things paying for our blessed new smart motorways with ever decreasing hard shoulders on them which quite frankly I think is plain dangerous and lunacy in terms of safety especially for people who break down or accident situations.."

Car tax, road fund tax call it what you will was abolished in 1938 by Winston Churchill .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Duel use pedestrian and cycle paths tend to be dangerous if you plan on cycling at any sort of speed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yesterday I watched a car and a pushbike jump a red light, the same red light at the same time"

Thursday fact ....

Reply privately

over a year ago

""Cycle path" always makes me think of the joke.

What joke?"

sounds like Psychopath maybe???

Reply privately

over a year ago

I use the road over cycle paths on part of my route to work as the path has low hanging tree branches, bus stops that are always busy, they are on routes to schools so normally full of kids add to that dog walkers and unruly dogs; ill take my chance on the road

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"I try to avoid roads even with cycle paths as much as I can. Motorists are too inconsiderate/reckless for a cyclist to feel safe on the road "

I think this is exactly the attitude they (the motorists and the establishment supporting them) want you to take. Continuing to preach that cycling is dangerous and therefore reducing the number of bikes on the road suits their purpose. Actually an acknowledgment that the danger is that posed by the motor vehicle, rather than the bike per se, a combination of education and punishment of dangerous drivers and the increasing the number of bikes on the road by abolishing cycle lanes is what is required. Bikes must be allowed to use the road, and know that they can do so safely. Otherwise, as one poster above has said, they will end up being confined to shitty cycle paths.

An increase, to a critical mass of cyclists would increase awareness and slowly moderate the behaviour of drivers, and ultimately make the road we have to share better for everyone. But for now, do not accept someone else telling you it’s too dangerous, they may have another agenda.

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

Had one smash into my car only last month. He was actually in the cycle lane and I was turning left. As I turned he just ploughed into the side if my car smashing the indicator. Had the fucking cheek to tell me I should give way, that was until I pointed out the STOP lines on the cycle lane. On a good note, his bike was totally fucked and he had to pay my repair bill!!"

Interesting.. I assume the cycle path was on the left hand side of the carriageway. I also assume that anyone who drives with care and attention will check that there is nothing to the inside of them before turning left whether there’s a cycle lane or not. Combining these assumptions, I struggle to see how could you possibly have collided.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Motorists seem to forget that most adult cyclists are also motorists. Using the same routes to work. Just as capable of driving in. Just as capable of sitting and waiting for that car that hit him and drove away the previous morning. Just as capable of following that same car to where ever it parks...

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Interesting.. I assume the cycle path was on the left hand side of the carriageway. I also assume that anyone who drives with care and attention will check that there is nothing to the inside of them before turning left whether there’s a cycle lane or not. Combining these assumptions, I struggle to see how could you possibly have collided. "

I assumed he was talking about those cycle paths built onto existing pavement.

Reply privately

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

"Duel use pedestrian and cycle paths tend to be dangerous if you plan on cycling at any sort of speed. "

Most cyclists on this would need protecting from ‘pedestrians’. By this I mean gangs of truanting kids, Rottweilers and teenage mums with earphones, tearway toddlers and a fag on the lip.

Reply privately