Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I've got mail

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I got a letter from my friend yesterday. A proper hand written one sent through the post and it really made me smile.

Sure, she could've sent me an email but the personal touch made it special.

It got me thinking about modern life and the ever reducing "human touch".

What other things or ways of doing them do you miss?

Do you think technology is pushing us forward as a race or just changing us?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I got a letter from my friend yesterday. A proper hand written one sent through the post and it really made me smile.

Sure, she could've sent me an email but the personal touch made it special.

It got me thinking about modern life and the ever reducing "human touch".

What other things or ways of doing them do you miss?

Do you think technology is pushing us forward as a race or just changing us? "

driving to a shop thats say 5 mins walk from home for small stuff is impersonal too, walking you get to say hi to real people and get exercise at the same time

over a year ago

I think technology enables people to stay in touch more easily but at the expense of personal interaction. For every development there's always a down side.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

My uncle still writes to me and he's pushing 90. At least I can understand his handwriting, unlike ma gran's, which used to be worse than a Doctor's signature

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We all seem to text these days. The art of actually picking up the phone to friends/family to communicate seem to be getting less & less

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I send snail mail. I love coming home to proper post that’s not a bill so I send random nonsense post to my friends. It’s one of my favourite things.

By *ringles0510Woman
over a year ago

Central Borders

My son is very much an outdoorsy boy. Unfortunately when he goes around to call on his pals, they're all on their computer games and don't want to do anything else.

I'd be happy to go out with him, but he's at an age he doesn't want to hang out with mum that much, so he's basically forced to chat to his friends online through that blasted xbox

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I write to my aged mother at least once a week.Tried to get her online but was a major ball ache so back to the quill.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As a race we are pushing technology forward. Without us there is no technology apart from some birds and animals using basic tools.

Its our desire for ever faster, better, more efficient ways of doing things that moves technology on.

As for improving us I'm not sure. We need to learn to use the good bits and discard the bad.

By *he Silver FuxMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"My son is very much an outdoorsy boy. Unfortunately when he goes around to call on his pals, they're all on their computer games and don't want to do anything else.

I'd be happy to go out with him, but he's at an age he doesn't want to hang out with mum that much, so he's basically forced to chat to his friends online through that blasted xbox "

Same with my boy Pringles, horrible winter weather makes it worse and I can’t blame him for staying in so I take him and some mates to indoor skate parks with their scooters or boards or the indoor climbing wall. It’s a constant fight to keep them active

A x

By *ringles0510Woman
over a year ago

Central Borders

"My son is very much an outdoorsy boy. Unfortunately when he goes around to call on his pals, they're all on their computer games and don't want to do anything else.

I'd be happy to go out with him, but he's at an age he doesn't want to hang out with mum that much, so he's basically forced to chat to his friends online through that blasted xbox

Same with my boy Pringles, horrible winter weather makes it worse and I can’t blame him for staying in so I take him and some mates to indoor skate parks with their scooters or boards or the indoor climbing wall. It’s a constant fight to keep them active

A x"

And a constant attack on my wallet as well

over a year ago

I havnt given or sent a proper letter in years. I did have great aunties as penpals I would write to when younger. Nothing ever comes through thats not a bill now.

over a year ago

I remember swapping addresses with friends I'd made on holiday and writing to each other once a week...I loved that!

I may start sending real physical mail again!

By *eplicant JoWoman
over a year ago

Sussex countryside

I love getting happy post I still send random letters and cards to family and friends

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Technology has made communication easier and cheaper.. but sadly we talk less to each other.

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Getting up and walking to the TV to turn it over. Oh, and adjusting the vertical hold.

Happy days

over a year ago

I've been trying to talk to a friend in person for months but we're just too busy. It's not the same via texts as things get misunderstood. I always end up sounding bad and making it even worse when I try and explain. It's making me really sad.

By *uperchargedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I miss going to research things in the library and after many hours with my head in various books and lots of scribble filled notebooks ultimately a journey to the museum.

Now I can get more or less everything I need from tinterweb.

Yes, it's quicker, easier and therefore more profitable but in the past where profits weren't so tight a day's field trip was far more enjoyable than sitting in front of my screen for a morning....

over a year ago

I'm not big into letter writing, but I've gotten a reputation with my friends for not liking texting. I tend to hang out in person whenever possible. With my friends from the U.S. I often have Skype dates with coffee and snacks and hours of talking.

On a slightly different note, I do miss that feeling I used to get when I was a kid of being completely shut off from the world - no phone, no computer, no tv....just hanging out and a good book to read. I spent my summers as a kid in the country without hardly any technology and I don't think I can really get that same feeling anymore.

over a year ago

"I'm not big into letter writing, but I've gotten a reputation with my friends for not liking texting. I tend to hang out in person whenever possible. With my friends from the U.S. I often have Skype dates with coffee and snacks and hours of talking.

On a slightly different note, I do miss that feeling I used to get when I was a kid of being completely shut off from the world - no phone, no computer, no tv....just hanging out and a good book to read. I spent my summers as a kid in the country without hardly any technology and I don't think I can really get that same feeling anymore."

Post new Message to Thread