"

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *resh freddie OP   Man
over a year ago

Penistone

"Mine is............

“pull through with a frosty mop”

"

Its some horrible naval threat for when they are cleaning the decks in the frozen north!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've heard footballers use the word 'fillip' when speaking after a match and they use it without understanding what it means or in entirely the wrong context. It's really irksome but then what do you expect from overpaid numpties who spent so much time playing soccer as children that they forgot to learn basic English!!

over a year ago

Penistone

Thought footballers only grunted? Ohh and spit a lot

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Thought footballers only grunted? Ohh and spit a lot "
some of them look like they would swallow to me

over a year ago

"Thought footballers only grunted? Ohh and spit a lot "

Not all. I'm referring to the ones who are in the mid-30s, almost at the end of their playing days, cannot talk without sounding like Sylvester Stallone on LCD and are so goddam butt ugly that they cannot possibly consider a future in television. So what happens to them instead?

Well, if they don't drink themselves to death aka Best and soon-to-be-dead Gazza, they are steered towards the FA to get their coaching badges which includes a class on Really Useful Words To Make You Sound Intelligent on TV, NVQ2 Level.

over a year ago

'sit round the table and have dialogue'

FFS, can't they say sit and talk about it?

People who constantly say 'absolutely' instead of yes, or I agree or something relevant, hear it 50 times a day!!

'basically' is another over used word that gets on my tits.

Sorry birthday grupminess setting in

over a year ago

Obviously, I'm not including the ones who:

End up in jail

End up on drugs

End up appearing on Gladiators as the Celebrity Has Been of the Week

End up actually on the FA Select Committee overseeing the selection of the next England Manager, who now has to be a) foreign, b) illiterate, and c) shag anything that moves.

over a year ago

Spit it out wishy, which footballer has got your back up, lol.

W

over a year ago

"Spit it out wishy, which footballer has got your back up, lol.

W "

None of em m8, Man Utd won yesterday, as did Spurs hehehe... Everton got whalloped 6-1 and Chumpski only just beat Hull. The titles ours again - for the fourth season in a row!!

over a year ago

W

None of em m8, Man Utd won yesterday, as did Spurs hehehe... Everton got whalloped 6-1 and Chumpski only just beat Hull. The titles ours again - for the fourth season in a row!!"

Not a bad start is it, lol.

A lot of stuff football commentators come out with bugs me, can't think of anything right now but I find myself thinking for gawd sake not that one again, lol, but that could be another thread.

W

over a year ago

Personally I hate hearing,

"Is it in yet??"

over a year ago

W

None of em m8, Man Utd won yesterday, as did Spurs hehehe... Everton got whalloped 6-1 and Chumpski only just beat Hull. The titles ours again - for the fourth season in a row!!

Not a bad start is it, lol.

A lot of stuff football commentators come out with bugs me, can't think of anything right now but I find myself thinking for gawd sake not that one again, lol, but that could be another thread.

W "

Things like 'the lad, Robson, did well' - makes managers sound like old farts - which in most cases it's true, but I heard Gareth Southgate use that phrase once and he's younger than me ffs!!

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

"I've heard footballers use the word 'fillip' when speaking after a match and they use it without understanding what it means or in entirely the wrong context. It's really irksome but then what do you expect from overpaid numpties who spent so much time playing soccer as children that they forgot to learn basic English!! "

I find football incredibly boring and the thought of listening to people talking about it even more so but, when you mention footballers using 'fillip' out of context, can you explain what it is you think they're meaning to say?

over a year ago

"I've heard footballers use the word 'fillip' when speaking after a match and they use it without understanding what it means or in entirely the wrong context. It's really irksome but then what do you expect from overpaid numpties who spent so much time playing soccer as children that they forgot to learn basic English!!

I find football incredibly boring and the thought of listening to people talking about it even more so but, when you mention footballers using 'fillip' out of context, can you explain what it is you think they're meaning to say?"

I've heard it used when they're talking about a specific player who's back from injury earlier than expected. It sounds like they've inserted a 'big' word into their sentences to sound intelligent when they could have used the word 'bonus' instead and not look so glaringly styupid.

over a year ago

"A lot of stuff football commentators come out with bugs me, can't think of anything right now but I find myself thinking for gawd sake not that one again, lol, but that could be another thread.

W "

Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)

over a year ago

Penistone

"A lot of stuff football commentators come out with bugs me, can't think of anything right now but I find myself thinking for gawd sake not that one again, lol, but that could be another thread.

W

Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)"

Take it you dont like drivel

over a year ago

W

Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)"

Care to mention who you are referring to then, as none of would like to meet someone who thinks we talk a load of drivel, would we.

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

"

I find football incredibly boring and the thought of listening to people talking about it even more so but, when you mention footballers using 'fillip' out of context, can you explain what it is you think they're meaning to say?

I've heard it used when they're talking about a specific player who's back from injury earlier than expected. It sounds like they've inserted a 'big' word into their sentences to sound intelligent when they could have used the word 'bonus' instead and not look so glaringly styupid."

OK. I see what you mean but it's not exactly the linguistic crime of the century. 'Bonus', however, is an absolute no-no nowadays. It carries connotations of something undeserved.

over a year ago

Penistone

Drivel is good at times as it takes away the stresses of the day. Escapism also heightens your libido.

Having said that i agree sometimes drivel makes you grit your teeth so point taken.

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

"Drivel is good at times ............."

I initially missread that as dribble and wasn't sure if you were continuing the football theme or salivating in anticipation

over a year ago

"

I've heard it used when they're talking about a specific player who's back from injury earlier than expected. It sounds like they've inserted a 'big' word into their sentences to sound intelligent when they could have used the word 'bonus' instead and not look so glaringly styupid.

OK. I see what you mean but it's not exactly the linguistic crime of the century. 'Bonus', however, is an absolute no-no nowadays. It carries connotations of something undeserved."

It's not a question of whether it's the linguistic crime of the century. The OP asked what phrase pisses you off and that one pisses me off. It's a stpuid word used by stupid people to sound intelligent. And I suspect that some of the people who use it orally would never attempt to use it as a written word as they'd probably spell it 'phillip'.

over a year ago

W

Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)

Take it you dont like drivel "

Not as a rule, i'm sure I have driveled as have most, but some only drivel, if you know what I mean

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/08/09 12:38:14]

over a year ago

"Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)

Care to mention who you are referring to then, as none of would like to meet someone who thinks we talk a load of drivel, would we. "

Sorry, there is a no name and shame rule in force.

I'm sure you can think of a few yourself

over a year ago

"Commentators feel or told to talk a lot, so say lots of drivel, bit like some posters on here (not necessarily you)

Care to mention who you are referring to then, as none of would like to meet someone who thinks we talk a load of drivel, would we.

Sorry, there is a no name and shame rule in force.

I'm sure you can think of a few yourself"

At the moment, just one, and obviously I wouldn't refer to myself, would I?

over a year ago

OKAY!! i'm admitting to being stupid on this one. I read all the posts and still didn't know what a fillip was. Looked it up and it's a slight blow, or flick or sommat of not great importance...... example I filliped his ear with my finger..... ffs....isn't that a Flip ?? or are we fillicking things now ?? Anyway ... I digress... sayings that make me cringe:

Mostly due to over use and being without meaning.

1. At the end of the day.

WHY AT THE FUFFING END OF THE DAY?

2. I'm going to be honest with you now.

THIS IMPLIES YOU ARE GENERALLY DISHONEST.

3. You are doing my head in!

4. What are YOU like?

5. I'm not .............. but ( fill your own word in )

6. I love older women.

7. As if

8. Whateverrrrr

9 Looooooserrrrrrr

10 I wanna touch base with you

11. And I was like uh and she was like heh

12 Alls ( as in all I am saying is )

13 Im not being funny but

14 To be fair

AND THE WORST EVER IS .....

15 Anyone who says more than 100% as in I give 110%. I always wanna scream the impossibility of giving more than ALL ... ffs..

Im going for a lie down

over a year ago

I forgot this one .....

I will do anything , i'll try anything, im up for anything me .... yak

over a year ago

"Mine is............

“pull through with a frosty mop”

"

Havnt heard of that 1 i think mine is and its only developed over the last year and a half odd.....................:-'Not looking for single males' lol

over a year ago

"OKAY!! i'm admitting to being stupid on this one. I read all the posts and still didn't know what a fillip was. Looked it up and it's a slight blow, or flick or sommat of not great importance...... example I filliped his ear with my finger..... ffs....isn't that a Flip ?? or are we fillicking things now ?? Anyway ... I digress... sayings that make me cringe:

Mostly due to over use and being without meaning.

1. At the end of the day.

WHY AT THE FUFFING END OF THE DAY?

2. I'm going to be honest with you now.

THIS IMPLIES YOU ARE GENERALLY DISHONEST.

3. You are doing my head in!

4. What are YOU like?

5. I'm not .............. but ( fill your own word in )

6. I love older women.

7. As if

8. Whateverrrrr

9 Looooooserrrrrrr

10 I wanna touch base with you

11. And I was like uh and she was like heh

12 Alls ( as in all I am saying is )

13 Im not being funny but

14 To be fair

AND THE WORST EVER IS .....

15 Anyone who says more than 100% as in I give 110%. I always wanna scream the impossibility of giving more than ALL ... ffs..

Im going for a lie down "

At the end of the day i'm going to be honest with you know ,your doing my head in with this list Jesus what are you like?

I'm not into older ladies but i love older women . Now you might think i'm contradicting myself there AS IF...

If you say i am contradicting myself your likely to get a WHATEVERRRRRR LOOOOOOOSER so just leave it.

So lets have a chat thru pm maybe id like to touch base with you.

I was going to ask another woman if she wated to come along if me and you get on but she blew me out and was like heh and i was like huh.

So Alls im saying is that i'm not being funny but to be fair you'll get no more than 110% from me if we meet

over a year ago

I hate ...

'thats the wrong hole'

over a year ago

"I hate ...

'thats the wrong hole' "

A golfer too ! impressive

over a year ago

"I hate ...

'thats the wrong hole'

A golfer too ! impressive "

thanks but after the 18th hole.... ! I need a drink

over a year ago

"I hate ...

'thats the wrong hole' "

So was it? Did they make a point of it or was it like 'OH GO ON THEN'

over a year ago

We live on the outskirts of stoke on trent and the phrase round here is that they call everyone "duck" as in are you alright duck,thanks duck etc I cannot stand it and usually quack under my breath lol

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

I hate the phrase "Thanking you"

something about it just sounds soo fookin condescending

over a year ago

One that would make me cringe big time would be...

Its not you babe... Its me!!

Ouch pmsl..

over a year ago

"One that would make me cringe big time would be...

Its not you babe... Its me!!

Ouch pmsl.. "

No it's definitely YOU babe.

I could hear Sonny n Cher then ...

over a year ago

"'sit round the table and have dialogue'

People who constantly say 'absolutely' instead of yes, or I agree or something relevant, hear it 50 times a day!!

Sorry birthday grupminess setting in"

Absolutely absolutely absolutely and basically absolutely

over a year ago

Absolutely absolutely absolutely and basically absolutely "

Grrrrrr trust you....

over a year ago

Absolutely absolutely absolutely and basically absolutely

Grrrrrr trust you.... "

Lol oops

over a year ago

"I love you"

over a year ago

You feeble minded half witted idiot - heard pretty much every time I speak to the wife.

over a year ago

I hate "its a game of two halves" and "it's a level playing field" .... especially when no one is anywhere near a game of rugby, footy etc.

Post new Message to Thread