Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Brain training

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Have you tried it? Does it work?

Like puzzles to keep your brain active. Or things to improve your memory.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I used to have Brain Training for the DS, don’t know if it helped but I really enjoyed it

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Don't know,but I seriously need to do something. I'm blaming being perimenopausal at the moment

over a year ago

What's brain training? Excuse my thickness

over a year ago

"What's brain training? Excuse my thickness "

There are many things involved...some mental, some physical. I have taught brain gym and brain training exercises in the past...can be very effective!

over a year ago

"What's brain training? Excuse my thickness

There are many things involved...some mental, some physical. I have taught brain gym and brain training exercises in the past...can be very effective!"

Interesting, does it make you smarter?

over a year ago

"What's brain training? Excuse my thickness "

"The idea of brain training is based on the concept of 'use it or lose it'. The popular theory goes that the more you regularly challenge your brain the less likely you are to experience cognitive impairment (a reduction in someone’s ability to remember or learn things) or dementia in your later years. The theory is based on an observation made by some that people who have complex jobs or who regularly participate in activities such as crosswords, puzzles or learning new hobbies throughout life appear to have lower rates of dementia.

Computer-based brain training games have been developed that challenge brain functions such as memory, problem solving and reasoning, abilities that can slow down or worsen with age."

I got that off the Alzheimer's website. They explain it better than I ever could.

over a year ago

"What's brain training? Excuse my thickness

"The idea of brain training is based on the concept of 'use it or lose it'. The popular theory goes that the more you regularly challenge your brain the less likely you are to experience cognitive impairment (a reduction in someone’s ability to remember or learn things) or dementia in your later years. The theory is based on an observation made by some that people who have complex jobs or who regularly participate in activities such as crosswords, puzzles or learning new hobbies throughout life appear to have lower rates of dementia.

Computer-based brain training games have been developed that challenge brain functions such as memory, problem solving and reasoning, abilities that can slow down or worsen with age."

I got that off the Alzheimer's website. They explain it better than I ever could. "

Interesting indeed!

over a year ago

Not tried it but it makes perfect sense that it would work.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Most of the earlier 'brain training' options didn't really get good results form research studies, where the research generally showed that someone just improved at the bits of the test or game, rather than there being a generalised benefit cognitively afterwards.

A lot of the schemes were scams imo, without evidence.

Certainly using your brain is better than letting it be unstimulated and used but I'd only invest time and/or money in something with high quality research evidence behind it.

over a year ago

"Most of the earlier 'brain training' options didn't really get good results form research studies, where the research generally showed that someone just improved at the bits of the test or game, rather than there being a generalised benefit cognitively afterwards.

Certainly using your brain is better than letting it be unstimulated and used but I'd only invest time and/or money in something with high quality research evidence behind it. "

Do you have any in mind? I'm crap at puzzles.

over a year ago

I once did some puzzles that were set by MENSA..

When i got the pass certificate in the post i saw they had spelt my name wrong

over a year ago

I do a couple of sudokos every day and always complete them...but still thick as pigshit. ..so no they don't work

over a year ago

I think that you have to complete a variety mental tasks to keep your brain active.

Unfortunately, Your brain gets used to the "brain training" on DS and you get better scores, giving you the false impression that your brain is actually improving...

over a year ago

Sorry Sophie, just saw your response.

over a year ago

" but I'd only invest time and/or money in something with high quality research evidence behind it. "

I just do mine when I'm having a shite..not much time invested

over a year ago

"Have you tried it? Does it work?

Like puzzles to keep your brain active. Or things to improve your memory. "

I like puzzles, not sure if it improves anything, but I’ve always found them a good way to switch off the noise that real life puts in my head and zone out. It used to be good old fashioned logic puzzle books, but it’s now sudoku and samurai sudoku. Did the DS thing for a while too, they were pretty good.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Someone bought me a brain training book for my birthday once. I'm not sure what they were trying to say .

I don't do puzzles except the occasional Sudoku but I've ways studied in my spare time and continue to. Languages, history and archaeology are my favourites.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't know if it works because I've done it all my life. I have noticed that things like historical dates and vocabulary take a bit longer to stick in my brain though.

over a year ago

"I don't know if it works because I've done it all my life. I have noticed that things like historical dates and vocabulary take a bit longer to stick in my brain though."

Going in the kitchen and remember what I went for....now that's hard to keep in my mind

over a year ago

I always had the ability to learn and retain information pretty quickly and make sure it stuck..

I was a croupier for a while and had to know my 2 -75 times tables off the top of my head and also worked for a supermarket chain who didnt use pricing labels so i had to learn all prices of all food (in the 80's) and i seriously think that thats f***ed my memory up as i get older as i can no longer retain or remember anything of relevance

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I don't think brain training makes you more intelligent as such, it's just a way of maintaining what you already have and delaying age related memory loss etc.

When you have worked hard in the gym to get fit and toned you need to keep at it to stay in shape - if you stop you start to lose muscle tone.

If you don't use it you lose it. For many people the same goes for the brain.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't know if it works because I've done it all my life. I have noticed that things like historical dates and vocabulary take a bit longer to stick in my brain though.

Going in the kitchen and remember what I went for....now that's hard to keep in my mind "

Yep!

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I tend to do a lot of puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, play chess etc - but I enjoy it so it’s not a chore. Hopefully it will help keep my brain sharp as a hurtle far too rapidly through my 40’s!!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I tend to do a lot of puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, play chess etc - but I enjoy it so it’s not a chore. Hopefully it will help keep my brain sharp as a hurtle far too rapidly through my 40’s!! "

Chess is a great way to keep your brain fit.

over a year ago

"I don't think brain training makes you more intelligent as such, it's just a way of maintaining what you already have and delaying age related memory loss etc.

When you have worked hard in the gym to get fit and toned you need to keep at it to stay in shape - if you stop you start to lose muscle tone.

If you don't use it you lose it. For many people the same goes for the brain."

That's depressing.

My memory is crap, I was hoping brain training might improve it. I have no brain muscle tone.

over a year ago

"I think that you have to complete a variety mental tasks to keep your brain active.

Unfortunately, Your brain gets used to the "brain training" on DS and you get better scores, giving you the false impression that your brain is actually improving... "

I once tried DS but I kept forgetting to use it. There's no hope.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Most of the earlier 'brain training' options didn't really get good results form research studies, where the research generally showed that someone just improved at the bits of the test or game, rather than there being a generalised benefit cognitively afterwards.

Certainly using your brain is better than letting it be unstimulated and used but I'd only invest time and/or money in something with high quality research evidence behind it.

Do you have any in mind? I'm crap at puzzles. "

I'll have a look around - after meeting with some researchers from Cambridge uni, who had been researching them, when their summary advice was that there wasn't a benefit, I lost a lot of interest in the area. I think newer results may be more promising - but a lot of companies have sold benefits that don't exist in their products.

By *urlesque!Woman
over a year ago

Gloucester

Dancing is a good activity - keeps you physically fit but more importantly learning new steps and sequences are now being recommended by Alzheimer and Dementia researchers.

Post new Message to Thread