Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Advice on IBS

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hello

I need some advice as I may have irritable bowel syndrome. The symptoms first started a couple of weeks ago with change in bowel movements, feeling bloated or constipated which made it hard to go in the toilet now and again so I tried taking Andrew's which have helped.

When I first looked up on certain symptoms online, all I got was that they may be signs of bowel cancer. It scared the hell out of me but I noticed that one of the risk factors of getting that would be being over ther age of 50 so I'm sure it can't be that plus one of the symptoms for bowel cancer would be bleeding that I haven't got which is a relief.

I went to the doctors about it yesterday and explained as best as I could. The doctor had a listen to my belly and said my bowels sound irritated so gave me a prescription for some mebeverine and told me to take one tablet three times a day to help regulate my bowels and if there no changes after a week, let them know.

After a day of taking mebeverine, I can't tell if it's making my situation feel better or worse.

If anyone here can give me some advice, that will be great as this is really worrying me.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Follow your GP’s advice, and if you don’t feel able to wait a week to see if what he has advised helps, then go back and see him before then and talk additionally about your anxieties re this.

Hope you feel better soon.

over a year ago

"Follow your GP’s advice, and if you don’t feel able to wait a week to see if what he has advised helps, then go back and see him before then and talk additionally about your anxieties re this.

Hope you feel better soon. "

Thanks. I'll try not to worry as I don't want this to end being life threatening or anything like that

By *sRedbbwWoman
over a year ago

Amwythig

Invest in some buscupan and senna calm, also ranitidine for All the side effects of ibs. Oh and wet toilet tissue and some haemorrhoid cream for the inevitable sore bum! Also avoid your triggers wherever possible, maybe keep a food diary if you can.

By *eviantdeliteWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

See a doctor

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Follow the advice give, some foods make the symptoms worse unfortunately they tend to be different for each person.

Alcohol doesn't help.

Stress doesn't help either.

Some days you'll be constipated others diarrhoea, with or without the stomach cramps.

You'll soon learn your trigger foods.

Hope you feel better soon.

over a year ago

I have IBS. Your gp should do a blood test and a stool sample to rule out anything else before diagnosing IBS.

It's good to try and discover your "triggers". Mine are my monthly cycle (nothing I can do about that), stress (same as before) and certain foods.

You could try cutting out gluten from your diet for two weeks to see if that helps but remember to do everything else exactly the same or it won't work properly.

over a year ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into what triggers there are. I'll keep an eye on what I'm like over the following week and if there are no changes, I'll let the doctors know

over a year ago

"See a doctor "

Guess you couldnt be arsed to read his full post.

over a year ago

I just want to ask that, if there was to be any blood, would that be something that happens at the start of the symptoms or something that happens further down the line?

Just asking out of curiosity that's all

over a year ago

Just had to pop back to the doctors as I was having some sort of side effects from the medication I was given so the doctor told me to stop taking it. I also told him that that I had some clear mucus discharge and I've got some kind of tight feeling on my lower back near my kidneys and he requested a blood and urine test which is now booked for next Thursday.

Hopefully the test will turn out ok when I go back for another appointment in a couple of weeks

over a year ago

"I just want to ask that, if there was to be any blood, would that be something that happens at the start of the symptoms or something that happens further down the line?

Just asking out of curiosity that's all"

There are a couple of conditions it could be that arent as serious as the big c but still a bit of a pain. Doc will sort you x

over a year ago

"I just want to ask that, if there was to be any blood, would that be something that happens at the start of the symptoms or something that happens further down the line?

Just asking out of curiosity that's all

There are a couple of conditions it could be that arent as serious as the big c but still a bit of a pain. Doc will sort you x"

Ah ok. Just thought I'd ask anyway. Luckily I haven't seen any blood these past couple of weeks which is a relief

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

OP, I'm also going through a similar problem but not IBS. It is scary when these things happen to us and a lot of us fear the worse but often they are treatable conditions. Your GP is looking after you, so try not to worry too much.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Also, I googled my condition and came up with all sorts of nasty things, sometimes it's best not to Google!

over a year ago

"OP, I'm also going through a similar problem but not IBS. It is scary when these things happen to us and a lot of us fear the worse but often they are treatable conditions. Your GP is looking after you, so try not to worry too much. "

Yeah. I'll do my best not to worry

over a year ago

Try cutting out/ down on bread & pasta as suggested. Also dairy as it can be a trigger for some people.

To help "move things along" try a glass of prune juice with a teaspoon of linseed ( you can get these in Holland & Barrett). Might need to adjust the amount of prune juice and linseed to get it right. And loads of water. I'd always advise dietary changes to people before laxatives etc.

over a year ago

"Also, I googled my condition and came up with all sorts of nasty things, sometimes it's best not to Google! "

Yeah. Google is not reliable when it comes to looking up symptoms

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"OP, I'm also going through a similar problem but not IBS. It is scary when these things happen to us and a lot of us fear the worse but often they are treatable conditions. Your GP is looking after you, so try not to worry too much.

Yeah. I'll do my best not to worry "

At least you've done the right thing and gone to your GP.

over a year ago

"OP, I'm also going through a similar problem but not IBS. It is scary when these things happen to us and a lot of us fear the worse but often they are treatable conditions. Your GP is looking after you, so try not to worry too much.

At least you've done the right thing and gone to your GP. "

Yeah. I sure am glad to have had been to have it looked at

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I used to find that certain sugar free drinks upset my stomach, and sweet corn .

I am ok now though

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yeah. I sure am glad to have had been to have it looked at"

Too many people ignore things going on with their bodies and a lot of conditions can be dealt with quickly and easily once a diagnosis has been made. I went to GP with something, she done my bloods and discovered another condition, I didn't know I had, which is now being successfully treated.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I used to find that certain sugar free drinks upset my stomach, and sweet corn .

I am ok now though "

Lots of these symptoms are often down to our diets

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

If you are diagnosed with IBS, look into the idea of FODMAP to identify any potential triggers. It worked for me.

over a year ago

Too many people ignore things going on with their bodies and a lot of conditions can be dealt with quickly and easily once a diagnosis has been made. I went to GP with something, she done my bloods and discovered another condition, I didn't know I had, which is now being successfully treated. "

Ah that's good to hear that it's being treated. I'll be glad once I've had my urine and blood tests done. I'm sure they'll turn out fine.

What annoys me is that when it comes to looking up any symptoms online, the big c is almost the first thing that comes up which I think shouldn't the first thing connected to the symptom as the symptoms are mostly not connected to that

over a year ago

I was diagnosed with IBS nd I'm on mabeverine 3 times a day but mine is the other end of the spectrum of being constipated, since taking the tablets I'm more regular but i have bouts of diarrhoea and nothing in particular sets it off it can be very frustrating.

Any concerns then speak to your dr or ask if theres a helpline or a website, I'm sure there's one out there but can't remember!

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

Too many people ignore things going on with their bodies and a lot of conditions can be dealt with quickly and easily once a diagnosis has been made. I went to GP with something, she done my bloods and discovered another condition, I didn't know I had, which is now being successfully treated.

Ah that's good to hear that it's being treated. I'll be glad once I've had my urine and blood tests done. I'm sure they'll turn out fine.

What annoys me is that when it comes to looking up any symptoms online, the big c is almost the first thing that comes up which I think shouldn't the first thing connected to the symptom as the symptoms are mostly not connected to that"

My doctors told me I had ibs every time I went to see them over an 18 month period. Apparently I was not old enough to have cancer and I wasn’t bleeding or loosing weight. Nothing they prescribed helped and I kept going back until one day I was bleeding and in severe pain. Colonoscopy was booked and as soon as I’d had it I was told I had a large tumour that was more than likely cancer. Tests proved it was and if it had been left another couple of months it would have blocked my colon completely.

I’m not trying to be alarmist as ibs is fairly common and most times treatable. I would just say don’t suffer in silence and if they can’t fix it don’t be afraid to keep going back to your doctor.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

What annoys me is that when it comes to looking up any symptoms online, the big c is almost the first thing that comes up which I think shouldn't the first thing connected to the symptom as the symptoms are mostly not connected to that"

Yes they always come up with that! I'd convinced myself I had cancer, but mine was a stomach bacterial infection, but the symptoms were that of many other conditions. My GP diagnosed it before I had the test!

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I was diagnosed with IBS nd I'm on mabeverine 3 times a day but mine is the other end of the spectrum of being constipated, since taking the tablets I'm more regular but i have bouts of diarrhoea and nothing in particular sets it off it can be very frustrating.

Any concerns then speak to your dr or ask if theres a helpline or a website, I'm sure there's one out there but can't remember! "

There's websites for most of these things. I found one for my condition and it was most helpful and comforting talking to others with the same condition

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

What annoys me is that when it comes to looking up any symptoms online, the big c is almost the first thing that comes up which I think shouldn't the first thing connected to the symptom as the symptoms are mostly not connected to that

My doctors told me I had ibs every time I went to see them over an 18 month period. Apparently I was not old enough to have cancer and I wasn’t bleeding or loosing weight. Nothing they prescribed helped and I kept going back until one day I was bleeding and in severe pain. Colonoscopy was booked and as soon as I’d had it I was told I had a large tumour that was more than likely cancer. Tests proved it was and if it had been left another couple of months it would have blocked my colon completely.

I’m not trying to be alarmist as ibs is fairly common and most times treatable. I would just say don’t suffer in silence and if they can’t fix it don’t be afraid to keep going back to your doctor. "

Very good advise I had abdominal pain and a friend of mine had shortly before, had similar pain. She was rushed to hospital and unfortunately died 4 hours later with sepsis. This frightened me and I got an emergency appointment at my GP, because of this. So yes, everybody, go get checked!

over a year ago

I’m not trying to be alarmist as ibs is fairly common and most times treatable. I would just say don’t suffer in silence and if they can’t fix it don’t be afraid to keep going back to your doctor. "

Sorry to hear that it had been a cancerous tumour. I hope that it had been treated straight away

over a year ago

Try one these tablets Colofac Buscopan I tried bucopan that worked for me good luck hope you feel better soon

over a year ago

Yes they always come up with that! I'd convinced myself I had cancer, but mine was a stomach bacterial infection, but the symptoms were that of many other conditions. My GP diagnosed it before I had the test! "

Yeah. It did scare me when it came up with that all the time but I'm gonna remain positive and not let it get to me

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I’m not trying to be alarmist as ibs is fairly common and most times treatable. I would just say don’t suffer in silence and if they can’t fix it don’t be afraid to keep going back to your doctor.

Sorry to hear that it had been a cancerous tumour. I hope that it had been treated straight away"

I had an excellent surgeon and he operated to remove the beast as I call it. I had chemotherapy to make sure it had gone and finished that five years ago. A few months ago I had my last visit to the hospital for my regular check ups and was told I don’t need to go back. Apart from a colonoscopy in 2020 just as a final check. So I’m all good now

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

"Hello

I need some advice as I may have irritable bowel syndrome. The symptoms first started a couple of weeks ago with change in bowel movements, feeling bloated or constipated which made it hard to go in the toilet now and again so I tried taking Andrew's which have helped.

When I first looked up on certain symptoms online, all I got was that they may be signs of bowel cancer. It scared the hell out of me but I noticed that one of the risk factors of getting that would be being over ther age of 50 so I'm sure it can't be that plus one of the symptoms for bowel cancer would be bleeding that I haven't got which is a relief.

I went to the doctors about it yesterday and explained as best as I could. The doctor had a listen to my belly and said my bowels sound irritated so gave me a prescription for some mebeverine and told me to take one tablet three times a day to help regulate my bowels and if there no changes after a week, let them know.

After a day of taking mebeverine, I can't tell if it's making my situation feel better or worse.

If anyone here can give me some advice, that will be great as this is really worrying me."

Follow Fodmap diet

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes they always come up with that! I'd convinced myself I had cancer, but mine was a stomach bacterial infection, but the symptoms were that of many other conditions. My GP diagnosed it before I had the test!

Yeah. It did scare me when it came up with that all the time but I'm gonna remain positive and not let it get to me"

Good for you

over a year ago

Sorry to hear that it had been a cancerous tumour. I hope that it had been treated straight away

I had an excellent surgeon and he operated to remove the beast as I call it. I had chemotherapy to make sure it had gone and finished that five years ago. A few months ago I had my last visit to the hospital for my regular check ups and was told I don’t need to go back. Apart from a colonoscopy in 2020 just as a final check. So I’m all good now "

That's good to hear

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I had an excellent surgeon and he operated to remove the beast as I call it. I had chemotherapy to make sure it had gone and finished that five years ago. A few months ago I had my last visit to the hospital for my regular check ups and was told I don’t need to go back. Apart from a colonoscopy in 2020 just as a final check. So I’m all good now "

That is fantastic news, it just goes to show that the bugger is treatable, you're a classic example of that! So glad you're better.

over a year ago

Do as your GP says.

Keep a food diary to see if there are any triggers.

I found going gluten free didnt help at all but what does help is 2 peppermint oil capsules a day, i got them from a health food shop. They have made a huge difference.

over a year ago

Yeah. It did scare me when it came up with that all the time but I'm gonna remain positive and not let it get to me

Good for you "

Thanks. I'm sure what I have won't be anything serious as it's never been really painful. It just feels like being a bit bunged up. I would be able to go to the toilet in the morning and early afternoon but in the evening, nothing comes out. It hasn't stopped me from doing everyday things like work or meeting up with friends. It just can feel uncomfortable for time to time

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good for you

Thanks. I'm sure what I have won't be anything serious as it's never been really painful. It just feels like being a bit bunged up. I would be able to go to the toilet in the morning and early afternoon but in the evening, nothing comes out. It hasn't stopped me from doing everyday things like work or meeting up with friends. It just can feel uncomfortable for time to time"

There has been some good advice on here that I'm sure you've felt helpful, you'll soon be sorted

over a year ago

Good for you

Thanks. I'm sure what I have won't be anything serious as it's never been really painful. It just feels like being a bit bunged up. I would be able to go to the toilet in the morning and early afternoon but in the evening, nothing comes out. It hasn't stopped me from doing everyday things like work or meeting up with friends. It just can feel uncomfortable for time to time

There has been some good advice on here that I'm sure you've felt helpful, you'll soon be sorted "

Yeah there sure are and I'm grateful of all the helpful advice I've been given

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good for you

There has been some good advice on here that I'm sure you've felt helpful, you'll soon be sorted

Yeah there sure are and I'm grateful of all the helpful advice I've been given "

You're welcome, these things can be scary sometimes, I know!

over a year ago

Good for you

You're welcome, these things can be scary sometimes, I know! "

Yeah. I'll do my best not to worry. With me having Asperger's, my imagination can run away with me and make me think the worst

over a year ago

The thing with Ibs is that's what drs call it when they don't have a clue. I had a friend with severe "ibs" he uses supliments and has had a colonic irrigation and had cut down on wheat. All this combined as has meant that he no longer takes medication and he's generally ok unless he eats something too spicy or too wheat heavy such as a pasta meal so he avoids those

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good for you

Yeah. I'll do my best not to worry. With me having Asperger's, my imagination can run away with me and make me think the worst"

Ah bless you, you'll be fine

over a year ago

Good for you

Yeah. I'll do my best not to worry. With me having Asperger's, my imagination can run away with me and make me think the worst

Ah bless you, you'll be fine "

Yeah definitely. My stomach doesn't feel as bad now plus the tightness in my lower back has gone. It must have been the medication that I was taking that made it worse

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good for you

Yeah definitely. My stomach doesn't feel as bad now plus the tightness in my lower back has gone. It must have been the medication that I was taking that made it worse"

Ah that's good, yes it could have been the medication, it doesn't suit everyone

over a year ago

Good for you

Yeah definitely. My stomach doesn't feel as bad now plus the tightness in my lower back has gone. It must have been the medication that I was taking that made it worse

Ah that's good, yes it could have been the medication, it doesn't suit everyone "

Yeah that's true. Some medication seem to cause more health problems than cure them

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Reducing your stress load and improving your relaxation skills will help you generally to weather this, without self-inflicted pressure.

The advice here on a food and symptom diary is sound. A pharmacist could also give some general IBS advice and about your medication.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good for you

Yeah that's true. Some medication seem to cause more health problems than cure them"

Yes some medication can have side effects, unfortunately

over a year ago

Good for you

Yeah that's true. Some medication seem to cause more health problems than cure them

Yes some medication can have side effects, unfortunately "

Yeah. It's a good thing I stopped taking it or it would've made it even worse

over a year ago

Good evening

Just thought I'd give an update on how I'm feeling. Right now, my bowels are feeling much better than they have been in the past couple of weeks, I've not been feeling bloated or constipated for a few days now and have been going to the toilet normally now which is great.

I'm still going for my blood and urine test tomorrow morning which I'm sure will be fine.

over a year ago

I think Internet Blood Sports when I see IBS.

over a year ago

"Good evening

Just thought I'd give an update on how I'm feeling. Right now, my bowels are feeling much better than they have been in the past couple of weeks, I've not been feeling bloated or constipated for a few days now and have been going to the toilet normally now which is great.

I'm still going for my blood and urine test tomorrow morning which I'm sure will be fine. "

If you need a chat about anything mate feel free to message me. I don’t have IBS I have IBD and am on daily meds.

Here to try and help if needed

over a year ago

"Good evening

I'm still going for my blood and urine test tomorrow morning which I'm sure will be fine.

If you need a chat about anything mate feel free to message me. I don’t have IBS I have IBD and am on daily meds.

Here to try and help if needed"

Thanks mate. I'm starting to think if what I had was just some sort of bug that was going about with the ever changing weather

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/03/18 19:58:07]

over a year ago

"Good evening

Thanks mate. I'm starting to think if what I had was just some sort of bug that was going about with the ever changing weather"

Always best to check mate I can confirm that 100%

over a year ago

"Good evening

Thanks mate. I'm starting to think if what I had was just some sort of bug that was going about with the ever changing weather

Always best to check mate I can confirm that 100%"

Yeah. Hopefully I'll be alright when I go back for another appointment next week

By *exy gentMan
over a year ago

Midlothian

My dad who is 80 this year has struggled for a long time with IBS, he has cut dairy out of his diet and the difference is amazing

over a year ago

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease a few years back, a form of IBD, whilst IBS and IBD are different they share similarities.

I’ve struggled to keep things under control for over a year now, daily medication and trying different meds which failed to help.

I’ve been and bought some tumeric tablets today to try and ease things. Maybe look into that. It’s supposed to be good for IBD.....not sure about IBD though.

over a year ago

I would recommend leaving it to your docs to diagnose you and treat you as treating yourself with whatever so and so recommended in this thread can actually cause more problems and taking over the counter remedies regularly isn’t without side effects either . Suspecting a condition based on symptoms common with other conditions isn’t quite the same as having proper diagnostic tests to confirm it , trust me

over a year ago

"I would recommend leaving it to your docs to diagnose you and treat you as treating yourself with whatever so and so recommended in this thread can actually cause more problems and taking over the counter remedies regularly isn’t without side effects either . Suspecting a condition based on symptoms common with other conditions isn’t quite the same as having proper diagnostic tests to confirm it , trust me "

Thanks. I'm having my blood and urine test tomorrow and probably will have the results at my next appointment next week

over a year ago

I have awful IBS honestly I feel your pain.

My advice would be to try and isolate which foods make it worse(which is actually really difficult ) and stay away from them.

Try and cut out dairy for a week or so as well and see how you get on, milk/milk based products often annoy your digestive system.

I also take peppermint tablets from Holland and Barrett as well and drink peppermint tea which helps

over a year ago

All well and good saying ask the doctor but often people who live with problems day to day can offer better remedies than a gp who probably hasn't dealt with it a day in their life.

Nothing wrong with asking common people for help

over a year ago

"I have awful IBS honestly I feel your pain.

My advice would be to try and isolate which foods make it worse(which is actually really difficult ) and stay away from them.

Try and cut out dairy for a week or so as well and see how you get on, milk/milk based products often annoy your digestive system.

I also take peppermint tablets from Holland and Barrett as well and drink peppermint tea which helps "

Thank you this advice. I've been feeling better by the day and my bowels do feel like they are getting back to normal. Hopefully I'll get the all clear after my blood and urine tests

over a year ago

"All well and good saying ask the doctor but often people who live with problems day to day can offer better remedies than a gp who probably hasn't dealt with it a day in their life.

Nothing wrong with asking common people for help"

His condition hasn’t been confirmed as IBS though , that’s the point I was making , OP said he MAY have IBS

over a year ago

I have bad IBS too. I take medication for it every day which usually helps but not always.

Mine isnt food or stress related though so i just have to hope each day that its a good day

As i mentioned before, i take peppermint capsules which do seem to help.

over a year ago

Good news. I've been to the doctors today and the blood test and urine test have come back fine.

I've come to realise that I don't actually have Ibs but have hemorrhoids as there is a family history on it and my symptoms lean towards that.

I'll be going to see a proctologist on the 15th of May to have it looked at which I'm sure will be sorted

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Good news. I've been to the doctors today and the blood test and urine test have come back fine.

I've come to realise that I don't actually have Ibs but have hemorrhoids as there is a family history on it and my symptoms lean towards that.

I'll be going to see a proctologist on the 15th of May to have it looked at which I'm sure will be sorted"

Excellent news

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Drink water.

Eat food.

Walk.

Drink kefir for a month to replace your flora.

Keep of medication and booze.

over a year ago

"Good news. I've been to the doctors today and the blood test and urine test have come back fine.

I'll be going to see a proctologist on the 15th of May to have it looked at which I'm sure will be sorted

Excellent news "

Yeah. It sure is a great relief that it isn't anything serious

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Excellent news

Yeah. It sure is a great relief that it isn't anything serious "

It is, I know you were worried, as would anybody be.

over a year ago

Excellent news

It is, I know you were worried, as would anybody be. "

Yeah. I'm sure the appointment with the proctologist in May will go fine

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Ouch.

Good news sort of.

My friend had an op to sort his farmer Giles out and his first couple of movements had him.......... actually hold on a minute let’s not go there.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Excellent news

Yeah. I'm sure the appointment with the proctologist in May will go fine"

I'm sure it will, at least you're getting it sorted

over a year ago

"Ouch.

Good news sort of.

My friend had an op to sort his farmer Giles out and his first couple of movements had him.......... actually hold on a minute let’s not go there. "

Interesting story. The ones I have are more internal which are painless

over a year ago

Excellent news

Yeah. I'm sure the appointment with the proctologist in May will go fine

I'm sure it will, at least you're getting it sorted "

Yeah. They're only internal hemorrhoids which haven't caused me any pain apart from the occasional itch

Post new Message to Thread