FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Fab Crap Runners' Club WEEK TEN (5 - 11 Mar)

Jump to newest

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

FAB CRAP RUNNERS' CLUB

WEEK TEN!!!!

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

Well hello Fab Crap Runners!

It's Week Ten (of our nine-week running thread - I know, I know...)!

26 people reported progress this week. We've got a new style thread (tell me if you think I've got you in the wrong group). Well done to anyone who ran in the sub zero temperatures!

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January, a bunch of Fabbers began improving our fitness through running. None of us were natural athletes (I was a natural couch potato!) but we did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (I used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it, you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

CRAP BEGINNERS:

Well done for joining the thread! The first step is the hardest and you've done that already! Keep us updated on your progress and cheer the others on. Everyone is welcome - even more so if you think you won't be able to do it. I'll list you here when you join.

Frank n Betty Not started yet. (Come on - you're one of us. I know you can do it!).

CRAP IMPROVERS (running more than you ever thought you could!)

Adam 1971 Working on increasing distance within 30 mins of running. (How far are you going now?)

AdsandGeeky Ran 3km with his brothers and then walked 2km. (not long now until the wedding!)

Blue Narwhal Popped in to say hello.. Might join us for a future social. (I hadn't realised you'd been ill. Rejoin any time)

BoPeep1 Done Week Eight Run Two with her club. (Well done - do you know how far you're doing?)

Chasing waterfalls Ran 6.2km in 28 minutes! (Wow - that's really, really impressive. You're fast)

_ocbig Newbie! Ran 12km on Thursday and 10km on Sunday. (Wow! That's great - very well done. Can't believe you ran in the snow).

HarryJones1975 Popped in to say hello. (Hi Harry)

Lookingforlust Running 4km at 8.5km/h (that's really good - nice one!)

Miles Away Girl Working on Week Five. Fell off the bandwagon but is getting back on. (Falling off happens to all us crap runners - getting back on means you're awesome! We love you for both)

MrsTrellis Ran 5km in 44 minutes.

northerndels1000 Has had a cold. (Are you feeling better?)

Only-Drew Member of a running club. (What are you training for at the moment?)

Psylocke Injured. Runs 5-10km (Get better soon!)

signorina Been walking the dog a lot. (Lucky dog!)

tigercub89 Been doing all manner of exercise! (Trampoline??? Impressive!)

Topsy Rogers Pushing herself harder and changing shape (Nice work - it's worth it!)

CRAP ELITES AND EXPERTS (trying to run the kind of distances that normal people drive... like marathons and stuff)

Bitch_and_Twat Got stranded in Scotland and ate lots of fry ups! (Sounds excellent!)

Crazyhorse58 Running each week. Ran 5km. (Thanks for the encouragement).

goodtimes_888 Training for some seriously long runs. Doing four mile runs at the moment. (Hope it's going well)

Man-monkey Did a two hour bike ride. (Well done! Hilly or flat?)

nerdynympho New coach. Ran three miles.

PiercedCpl Training for a Marathon (Four weeks to go - good luck!)

simply fun40 Ran 18 miles in minus two temperatures! (I'm not sure whether that's impressive or crazy!)

SN1977 Fellow spreadsheet aficionado. (I'm glad we've found each other).

_parky4g Booked an ultra marathon - 30 miles, 24 hours, 3000m climbing. (*faints*)

STOP PRESS...STOP PRESS...STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS

FAB CRAP RUNNERS' CLUB SOCIAL!!!!!!!

The Fab Crap Runners' Club social has been rescheduled. Everyone is welcome (runners at all levels and supporters).

Date:

Saturday 17th March at 9am (meet from 8.30am)

Venue:

Great Denham parkrun http://www.parkrun.org.uk/greatdenham/

Followed by:

Coffee, cake and gossip at about 10.30am at Brewers' Fayre, Marsh Leys, MK42 7FY

What to do:

Put the date in your diary and register for free with parkrun on the link above. I'll figure out the finer details ASAP.

RSVP:

Please let me know on this thread if you're intending to come along.

But, but, but:

I know - it's bloody terrifying! Running with actual runners at an actual event! But you have options.

(i) I will do the course with the slowest person in our group (and may well be the slowest person come to think of it). If we need to walk the whole thing, that's what we'll do. So no one in our group will be last - the slowest two of us will cross the line together.

(ii) I'll come up with a way of us identifying each other that doesn't "out" us as Fab-folk. I won't carry a giant sign that says "Swingers Assemble Here".

(iii) If you don't want to do the course or you're not ready for it, my other-half will be hobbling around on an ongoing knee-injury at the finishing line and will gladly stand with you and chat away about all sorts of rubbish.

(iv) Or, if you have any sense at all, you'll feign injury and just meet us in the pub afterwards.

Now back the the thread....

Attending are: Bitch, goodtimes_888, HarryJones1975, Mrs Trellis, Only-Drew, Psylocke, stevenelden44, Simply Fun40, SN1977, TopsyRogers, Twat.

Please RSVP to me if you're not on the list.

WE DIDN'T HEAR FROM THESE LOVELY PEOPLE WHO REPORTED PROGRESS LAST WEEK BUT HAVEN'T POSTED THIS WEEK. LET US KNOW HOW YOU'RE GETTING ON:

Gentleman Jay

Kinkynomad

lilac_bunny

MysteriousBrunette

tandh

INJURY BENCH (GET WELL SOON):

Psylocke - knee ligament injury.

AND THANK YOU TO OUR WELL-WISHERS AND SUPPORTERS WHOSE POSITIVE MESSAGES ARE KEEPING US GOING:

Autumn76, BigBoy11782, Bike Monkey, Bitch, blackbird1000, blueeyedboy1212, bonbons_xx, bringmeyourcurves, Chris 148, crazycoupleni, Crazyhorse58, curious and openminded, Erect-Jim, Evie!!, Feliz Nelson, foxy_minx, Funtimes1992, GS_Bristol, GenuineinCambs, Goodtimes_888, HammerCock69, harte2harte, Jayc1290, jblack18, jdhandy29, KingAl, Lady Lick, Leo Liaisons, littlebeaver, LittleJackHornier, lovejoy68, Man-monkey, marathon26, medwayduo, Mike321, MissMimieux, Mr Alleycat, MrBump2013, Oliver91, Oral-wan Kenobi, pat-mustard, PiercedCpl, Psylocke, Rachael xx, Serendipity, simply fun40, SN1977, _parky4g, SW Chap, SwingoftheKingers, thegatekeeper, The Differentiator, tom_in_nlondon, Utopia G, waverunner, wideboy7.5 and YeOldeWitchDoc.

AND FINALLY:

We made it through the cold spell. Running in the spring is going to be soooo much easier! Keep running you inspirational people!

Mrs Trellis x

PS - Don't forget the social!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

I know I posted it late...

Sorry! x

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I know I posted it late...

Sorry! x"

Evening! No running for me today it’s chucking it down but I have been doing something called ‘spring cleaning’.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sadly I'm still on the sick bench, still feeling crap with this cold, nose blocked and can't breath to suddenly gushing and I'm sure I've blown my brains out through my nose.....sorry for the description if you're queasy.

So want to get out and run!

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

I managed to drag myself to the gym on the treadmill (i dont do being out in darkness alone ) just getting there was an effort in its self. Another 2 miles done, hopefully i can get outdoors tomorrow

over a year ago

"FAB CRAP RUNNERS' CLUB

WEEK TEN!!!!

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

Well hello Fab Crap Runners!

It's Week Ten (of our nine-week running thread - I know, I know...)!

26 people reported progress this week. We've got a new style thread (tell me if you think I've got you in the wrong group). Well done to anyone who ran in the sub zero temperatures!

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January, a bunch of Fabbers began improving our fitness through running. None of us were natural athletes (I was a natural couch potato!) but we did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (I used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it, you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

CRAP BEGINNERS:

Well done for joining the thread! The first step is the hardest and you've done that already! Keep us updated on your progress and cheer the others on. Everyone is welcome - even more so if you think you won't be able to do it. I'll list you here when you join.

Frank n Betty Not started yet. (Come on - you're one of us. I know you can do it!).

CRAP IMPROVERS (running more than you ever thought you could!)

Adam 1971 Working on increasing distance within 30 mins of running. (How far are you going now?)

AdsandGeeky Ran 3km with his brothers and then walked 2km. (not long now until the wedding!)

Blue Narwhal Popped in to say hello.. Might join us for a future social. (I hadn't realised you'd been ill. Rejoin any time)

BoPeep1 Done Week Eight Run Two with her club. (Well done - do you know how far you're doing?)

Chasing waterfalls Ran 6.2km in 28 minutes! (Wow - that's really, really impressive. You're fast)

_ocbig Newbie! Ran 12km on Thursday and 10km on Sunday. (Wow! That's great - very well done. Can't believe you ran in the snow).

HarryJones1975 Popped in to say hello. (Hi Harry)

Lookingforlust Running 4km at 8.5km/h (that's really good - nice one!)

Miles Away Girl Working on Week Five. Fell off the bandwagon but is getting back on. (Falling off happens to all us crap runners - getting back on means you're awesome! We love you for both)

MrsTrellis Ran 5km in 44 minutes.

northerndels1000 Has had a cold. (Are you feeling better?)

Only-Drew Member of a running club. (What are you training for at the moment?)

Psylocke Injured. Runs 5-10km (Get better soon!)

signorina Been walking the dog a lot. (Lucky dog!)

tigercub89 Been doing all manner of exercise! (Trampoline??? Impressive!)

Topsy Rogers Pushing herself harder and changing shape (Nice work - it's worth it!)

CRAP ELITES AND EXPERTS (trying to run the kind of distances that normal people drive... like marathons and stuff)

Bitch_and_Twat Got stranded in Scotland and ate lots of fry ups! (Sounds excellent!)

Crazyhorse58 Running each week. Ran 5km. (Thanks for the encouragement).

goodtimes_888 Training for some seriously long runs. Doing four mile runs at the moment. (Hope it's going well)

Man-monkey Did a two hour bike ride. (Well done! Hilly or flat?)

nerdynympho New coach. Ran three miles.

PiercedCpl Training for a Marathon (Four weeks to go - good luck!)

simply fun40 Ran 18 miles in minus two temperatures! (I'm not sure whether that's impressive or crazy!)

SN1977 Fellow spreadsheet aficionado. (I'm glad we've found each other).

_parky4g Booked an ultra marathon - 30 miles, 24 hours, 3000m climbing. (*faints*)

STOP PRESS...STOP PRESS...STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS

FAB CRAP RUNNERS' CLUB SOCIAL!!!!!!!

The Fab Crap Runners' Club social has been rescheduled. Everyone is welcome (runners at all levels and supporters).

Date:

Saturday 17th March at 9am (meet from 8.30am)

Venue:

Great Denham parkrun http://www.parkrun.org.uk/greatdenham/

Followed by:

Coffee, cake and gossip at about 10.30am at Brewers' Fayre, Marsh Leys, MK42 7FY

What to do:

Put the date in your diary and register for free with parkrun on the link above. I'll figure out the finer details ASAP.

RSVP:

Please let me know on this thread if you're intending to come along.

But, but, but:

I know - it's bloody terrifying! Running with actual runners at an actual event! But you have options.

(i) I will do the course with the slowest person in our group (and may well be the slowest person come to think of it). If we need to walk the whole thing, that's what we'll do. So no one in our group will be last - the slowest two of us will cross the line together.

(ii) I'll come up with a way of us identifying each other that doesn't "out" us as Fab-folk. I won't carry a giant sign that says "Swingers Assemble Here".

(iii) If you don't want to do the course or you're not ready for it, my other-half will be hobbling around on an ongoing knee-injury at the finishing line and will gladly stand with you and chat away about all sorts of rubbish.

(iv) Or, if you have any sense at all, you'll feign injury and just meet us in the pub afterwards.

Now back the the thread....

Attending are: Bitch, goodtimes_888, HarryJones1975, Mrs Trellis, Only-Drew, Psylocke, stevenelden44, Simply Fun40, SN1977, TopsyRogers, Twat.

Please RSVP to me if you're not on the list.

WE DIDN'T HEAR FROM THESE LOVELY PEOPLE WHO REPORTED PROGRESS LAST WEEK BUT HAVEN'T POSTED THIS WEEK. LET US KNOW HOW YOU'RE GETTING ON:

Gentleman Jay

Kinkynomad

lilac_bunny

MysteriousBrunette

tandh

INJURY BENCH (GET WELL SOON):

Psylocke - knee ligament injury.

AND THANK YOU TO OUR WELL-WISHERS AND SUPPORTERS WHOSE POSITIVE MESSAGES ARE KEEPING US GOING:

Autumn76, BigBoy11782, Bike Monkey, Bitch, blackbird1000, blueeyedboy1212, bonbons_xx, bringmeyourcurves, Chris 148, crazycoupleni, Crazyhorse58, curious and openminded, Erect-Jim, Evie!!, Feliz Nelson, foxy_minx, Funtimes1992, GS_Bristol, GenuineinCambs, Goodtimes_888, HammerCock69, harte2harte, Jayc1290, jblack18, jdhandy29, KingAl, Lady Lick, Leo Liaisons, littlebeaver, LittleJackHornier, lovejoy68, Man-monkey, marathon26, medwayduo, Mike321, MissMimieux, Mr Alleycat, MrBump2013, Oliver91, Oral-wan Kenobi, pat-mustard, PiercedCpl, Psylocke, Rachael xx, Serendipity, simply fun40, SN1977, _parky4g, SW Chap, SwingoftheKingers, thegatekeeper, The Differentiator, tom_in_nlondon, Utopia G, waverunner, wideboy7.5 and YeOldeWitchDoc.

AND FINALLY:

We made it through the cold spell. Running in the spring is going to be soooo much easier! Keep running you inspirational people!

Mrs Trellis x

PS - Don't forget the social!"

Ill remind you of this when we're all dissolving in out own sweat trying to run in the almost inevitable heatwave that must be just around the corner!

I'm committing this week to 6 miles Tue & Thu, then 8 on Sat. Helping a friend move house Tue evening which will be like x- training doing weights, then hopefully some horizontal jogging on Wed at Libs

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

Loving that it's Week Ten and I still haven't started yet lol

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

Week 9 run 1, my first 30 min run well a pace just above walking, and OMG was I glad when that whistle went, I was out with a couch to 5k group, but only 2.53 miles covered including the 5 min walk before and after. The 5k Saturday is going to finish me off, but I'd never have thought I would have got here at the start

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

It seems there’s going to be an early FCRC social on Wednesday

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

Checking in...fry up planned for Wed morning as I’m away in a hotel again...the moobs are getting bigger again!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I know I posted it late...

Sorry! x

Evening! No running for me today it’s chucking it down but I have been doing something called ‘spring cleaning’."

*Shudder* - how’s it going?

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Sadly I'm still on the sick bench, still feeling crap with this cold, nose blocked and can't breath to suddenly gushing and I'm sure I've blown my brains out through my nose.....sorry for the description if you're queasy.

So want to get out and run! "

Poor thing. Sudocrem for a sore nose works wonders (but not if you’re likely to see anyone).

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I managed to drag myself to the gym on the treadmill (i dont do being out in darkness alone ) just getting there was an effort in its self. Another 2 miles done, hopefully i can get outdoors tomorrow "

That’s great! Is it hard to run on a treadmill? I imagine you have to keep your pace steady.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

". Ill remind you of this when we're all dissolving in out own sweat trying to run in the almost inevitable heatwave that must be just around the corner!

I'm committing this week to 6 miles Tue & Thu, then 8 on Sat. Helping a friend move house Tue evening which will be like x- training doing weights, then hopefully some horizontal jogging on Wed at Libs "

That’s a lot of exercise. You’ll be needing Malteasers.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Loving that it's Week Ten and I still haven't started yet lol"

I put you on improvers list by accident!!! Right, you’re going on the beginners list and we’re all gonna nag!

But don’t leave the thread because I love your non-running updates!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Week 9 run 1, my first 30 min run well a pace just above walking, and OMG was I glad when that whistle went, I was out with a couch to 5k group, but only 2.53 miles covered including the 5 min walk before and after. The 5k Saturday is going to finish me off, but I'd never have thought I would have got here at the start "

That’s brilliant! Your pace sounds like mine. But someone or other said “you’re faster than the people on the couch”.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Checking in...fry up planned for Wed morning as I’m away in a hotel again...the moobs are getting bigger again!"

I think I speak for us all when I say that we’d like some moob pics.

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Checking in...fry up planned for Wed morning as I’m away in a hotel again...the moobs are getting bigger again!

I think I speak for us all when I say that we’d like some moob pics. "

It will be done

over a year ago

"Checking in...fry up planned for Wed morning as I’m away in a hotel again...the moobs are getting bigger again!

It will be done"

Well it is tits out Tuesday

over a year ago

Was it the fact that I didn't sleep too well last night, or the fact that my phone apps decided to stop counting the distance after the warm up. That I feel a bit Meh

I did the 28 minutes, my legs feel that I had a good work out, but gutted that I don't actually know how well I did

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Was it the fact that I didn't sleep too well last night, or the fact that my phone apps decided to stop counting the distance after the warm up. That I feel a bit Meh

I did the 28 minutes, my legs feel that I had a good work out, but gutted that I don't actually know how well I did "

I get that. I think motivation can feel a little fragile and it doesn’t take much to “knock your duck off”. On your next run you’ll know how well you’re doing. X

over a year ago

Checking in not ran but last night I went to salsa x

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I managed to drag myself to the gym on the treadmill (i dont do being out in darkness alone ) just getting there was an effort in its self. Another 2 miles done, hopefully i can get outdoors tomorrow "

There is nothing to be ashamed of not wanting to run in the dark on your own!

Well done for going to the gym to run. A lot of people (like me) would just stay at home!

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"I managed to drag myself to the gym on the treadmill (i dont do being out in darkness alone ) just getting there was an effort in its self. Another 2 miles done, hopefully i can get outdoors tomorrow

That’s great! Is it hard to run on a treadmill? I imagine you have to keep your pace steady. "

I find it harder to run (i use that word lightly) on a treadmill, as id rather be outdoors with fresh air and a view, plus i get very conscious of people around me. Luckily there were very few there last night.

I alter the speed so its not too bad, but try to keep to a similar pace to what i set for walking and running.

I tebd to focus more on time/distance when im on a treadmill than outdoors that im not sure if it helps or hinders, last night was distance so i was trying to do 0.5km running at a time

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

It will be done"

Just added to public photos

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Hi. Thanks for including me, shame I didn't find you earlier...prob in the wrong group TBH, already run up to half marathon & am a coach...so any questions (bit late like I say...) please ask away & I will do my best to give the most up to date answer using my own experience & research.

over a year ago

"It seems there’s going to be an early FCRC social on Wednesday "

Looking forward to it

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Another 3 miles in the bad today. Although i had to drav myself out the door initially. But i ran further than i have in one stint before i had to walk. Progress is progress

By *parky4gMan
over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Managed 20 miles last week 10 of them were picking up a stranded van in he snow

0 miles this week so far

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Another 3 miles in the bad today. Although i had to drav myself out the door initially. But i ran further than i have in one stint before i had to walk. Progress is progress "

Your “bad”?

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"Another 3 miles in the bad today. Although i had to drav myself out the door initially. But i ran further than i have in one stint before i had to walk. Progress is progress

Your “bad”? "

Was meant to say In the bag.

Perfectly good though

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Hi all

Ran 5km with stevenelden in 42 mins (two mins better than last time!)

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Another 3 miles in the bad today. Although i had to drav myself out the door initially. But i ran further than i have in one stint before i had to walk. Progress is progress

Your “bad”?

Was meant to say In the bag.

Perfectly good though "

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Hi all

Ran 5km with stevenelden in 42 mins (two mins better than last time!)

"

And that’s what a bit of company does...wait until you have people “racing” you...

over a year ago

I ran 2.2k, cycled 5k, then finished off with another 2k run. Took me 42 mins. It was training for a beginners duathlon. keep it up all up lovely fellow crap runners

By *razyhorse58Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

Too wet tonight so gym done, 4K run, 2k cross trainer and 1k rower

over a year ago

Bye bye Week 5 you slippery bitch.

I’m at hockey practise tomorrow and they make me run so I’ll get some more done then. Bets on how long week 6 will take me can be placed here

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Bye bye Week 5 you slippery bitch.

I’m at hockey practise tomorrow and they make me run so I’ll get some more done then. Bets on how long week 6 will take me can be placed here "

It’ll take you 3 x 30 minutes or we’ll want to know the reason why!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I’m going to do a thread on running shoes as I don’t want to fill this one up but would like the input of you lot that know such things.

By *iercedCplCouple
over a year ago

Greater Manchester/Lancashire

It will be done

Just added to public photos"

Off to have a nosey

I quite like being in the elite section, but I can confirm I'm absolutely not. Just glutton for punishment! I'm super slow. Lots of walking x

Managed a 2 mile run outside for the first time in ages today. The roads are finally not an ice rink anymore. Easing the sore legs back in after the 11 mile treadmill run at the weekend.

Mrs x

over a year ago

"I ran 2.2k, cycled 5k, then finished off with another 2k run. Took me 42 mins. It was training for a beginners duathlon. keep it up all up lovely fellow crap runners "

You say what????? very, very impressive

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

I ran last night, repeated the Week 9 of 30 minutes. It was quite nice not to keep leaping between icy spots on the pavement so I managed 30 minutes at my previous slow pace.

When I looked at my watch and saw I was in the last minute I sprinted for a bit

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"I ran last night, repeated the Week 9 of 30 minutes. It was quite nice not to keep leaping between icy spots on the pavement so I managed 30 minutes at my previous slow pace.

When I looked at my watch and saw I was in the last minute I sprinted for a bit "

Practising for a race finish clearly!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I ran last night, repeated the Week 9 of 30 minutes. It was quite nice not to keep leaping between icy spots on the pavement so I managed 30 minutes at my previous slow pace.

When I looked at my watch and saw I was in the last minute I sprinted for a bit "

Excellent!! Sprint finish! Did you put both arms back and stick your chest forwards?

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Excellent!! Sprint finish! Did you put both arms back and stick your chest forwards? "

Moobs is a common problem

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

Excellent!! Sprint finish! Did you put both arms back and stick your chest forwards?

Moobs is a common problem "

They do get you over the line very slightly earlier though...go go gadget nipples too!

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"Loving that it's Week Ten and I still haven't started yet lol

I put you on improvers list by accident!!! Right, you’re going on the beginners list and we’re all gonna nag!

But don’t leave the thread because I love your non-running updates! "

I even caught the late train today to boast to my running friend that I did my first run. Alas my mate at work was less impressed with my time.

over a year ago

Week 9, run 1 completed

Did the 30 minutes and my legs HURT!!!!!!

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Week 9, run 1 completed

Did the 30 minutes and my legs HURT!!!!!! "

Would you like a massage?

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Week 9, run 1 completed

Did the 30 minutes and my legs HURT!!!!!! "

Well done! Pain is temporary, the glory of completing 30 minutes lasts forever.

Especially if, like me, you go into one of those key cutting places and have a trophy engraved for yourself

over a year ago

"Week 9, run 1 completed

"

OK

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Week 9, run 1 completed

OK "

I’ll be round shortly...

Ouch! Bitch stop hitting me, what did I do?

over a year ago

Week 6 Run 1 and 2 done.

With great effort.

Running is sh!t

over a year ago

Soon as this snow buggers off I’m back on it - I think I’ll start from scratch

over a year ago

"Soon as this snow buggers off I’m back on it - I think I’ll start from scratch "

In the words of Mary Poppins, it's a very good place to start!

over a year ago

"Week 6 Run 1 and 2 done.

With great effort.

Running is sh!t"

Run 3 done too. Imma gonna rest now

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Soon as this snow buggers off I’m back on it - I think I’ll start from scratch "

Aren’t you ideally named to run in the snow?

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

Should I be running again if my calves are still aching or does that need to fade first?

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Should I be running again if my calves are still aching or does that need to fade first?"

Depends on the ache I'm afraid.

If it hurts to walk, then no, rest it a bit more. If it's just a dull ache, then yes run (gently).

Although you may want to build up to 5k this time?

over a year ago

Just bookmarking the thread!

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Should I be running again if my calves are still aching or does that need to fade first?

If it hurts to walk, then no, rest it a bit more. If it's just a dull ache, then yes run (gently).

Although you may want to build up to 5k this time?"

All good advice...I used to pull calf muscles fairly regularly when in peak training and any aches at all were a sign I should take it easy.

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

Just getting back into running after a chain of flus and colds.

Am I too late to be a crap runner??

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Just getting back into running after a chain of flus and colds.

Am I too late to be a crap runner??"

Never too late to be crap...as I’m finding out chasing those pugs like a toddler...

over a year ago

Not done running yet but a good night horizontal training last night x

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Am I too late to be a crap runner??"

You’re very welcome, lots of people are at different stages here

I did another 30 minutes run last night, it’s still tough and I’m still only going about 4.3km but it’s amazing to be running this far

over a year ago

"Soon as this snow buggers off I’m back on it - I think I’ll start from scratch

Aren’t you ideally named to run in the snow?"

I know ironic huh!!

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Should I be running again if my calves are still aching or does that need to fade first?

Although you may want to build up to 5k this time?

All good advice...I used to pull calf muscles fairly regularly when in peak training and any aches at all were a sign I should take it easy."

Depends on the ache, injury pain is different to training pain, but a lower intensity/distance/speed run may be a good idea. It is OK to over reach..but not to overtrain. Although the science is somewhat equivocal..I love a good long stretch after a run, chuck in some foam rolling ..all done whilst watching TV so don't have to 'find' extra time for it & I do love some nice tight lycra compression gear...but that could just be me..oh & massage..because why not.

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

5km jog today in 44 minutes thats another 2 minutes off my time, and thrn onto the gym for an hour. No wonder my legs ache atm

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"5km jog today in 44 minutes thats another 2 minutes off my time, and thrn onto the gym for an hour. No wonder my legs ache atm "

Upper body work? Not that you need it

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"5km jog today in 44 minutes thats another 2 minutes off my time, and thrn onto the gym for an hour. No wonder my legs ache atm

Upper body work? Not that you need it "

Programme set for me by a member of staff at the gym, mainly focused on strength and toning but incororates full body workout

over a year ago

"5km jog today in 44 minutes thats another 2 minutes off my time, and thrn onto the gym for an hour. No wonder my legs ache atm "

Good work, you'll be sub-40 before you know it if you keep this up

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"5km jog today in 44 minutes thats another 2 minutes off my time, and thrn onto the gym for an hour. No wonder my legs ache atm

Good work, you'll be sub-40 before you know it if you keep this up"

Thanks. It may be slow progress but its progress none the less. And thats what keeps me going.

over a year ago

Good work, you'll be sub-40 before you know it if you keep this up

Thanks. It may be slow progress but its progress none the less. And thats what keeps me going."

Absolutely right, that's a perfect attitude. Slow but steady progress backed up with a positive attitude means your progress is solid and sustainable

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

I have my 5k park run tomorrow, as long as I make it in time, not looking forward to it, and it's meant to be hilly

By *ertsDrewMan
over a year ago

Hitchin

I can't keep up with all the threads!!! I'm taking it steady tomorrow, as I'm MK Half Marathon on Sunday. Come and cheer me on if you're in the area. I'll be the one that's naked!

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I have my 5k park run tomorrow, as long as I make it in time, not looking forward to it, and it's meant to be hilly "

Don't hate the hills!!! I love hilly runs - it breaks things up and makes it less mundane. Good luck and have a great run!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Week 6 Run 1 and 2 done.

With great effort.

Running is sh!t

Run 3 done too. Imma gonna rest now "

You are storming through the weeks! Running is so shit. It’s so hard! BUT look at what we can do. My only advice is to run soooooo slowly. Barely a run. That’s the only was I survive.

V v good progress though.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Hey PB - another member, Psylocke, is starting from scratch today if you want to keep an eye on each other.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Am I too late to be a crap runner??

You’re very welcome, lots of people are at different stages here

I did another 30 minutes run last night, it’s still tough and I’m still only going about 4.3km but it’s amazing to be running this far "

It’s awesome. And you’re fast at those speeds!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

That’s the exact same as me (except for the gym bit, you show off ) We would be good running buddies.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I have my 5k park run tomorrow, as long as I make it in time, not looking forward to it, and it's meant to be hilly "

Good luck Bo!!!! You’re gonna be awesome.

I expect hills suck - be crap and proud!!!

Let us know how you get on.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I can't keep up with all the threads!!! I'm taking it steady tomorrow, as I'm MK Half Marathon on Sunday. Come and cheer me on if you're in the area. I'll be the one that's naked!"

Not long now...

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

I’m gonna run today. And the sun will be shining and the birds will be tweeting and I’ll be awesome.

(But I’ll stay in bed for a bit first just in case it’s cold and drizzly and I look like shit).

over a year ago

I'm rebelling, no runs for me this weekend

After working a 65 hour week and having a bit of a crappy one at that. I'm hiding my trainers this weekend and relaxing as much as my little darlings will let me

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I'm rebelling, no runs for me this weekend

After working a 65 hour week and having a bit of a crappy one at that. I'm hiding my trainers this weekend and relaxing as much as my little darlings will let me "

Put the kids in the same place you’ve put the trainers!

That’s an insanely long week. Hope you can just chill today. X

over a year ago

"I'm rebelling, no runs for me this weekend

After working a 65 hour week and having a bit of a crappy one at that. I'm hiding my trainers this weekend and relaxing as much as my little darlings will let me "

Sounds like a nice run would be an ideal de-stresser.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Hills build strength & make the flats easier, added bonus of downhill being free speed!

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"I have my 5k park run tomorrow, as long as I make it in time, not looking forward to it, and it's meant to be hilly

Hills build strength & make the flats easier, added bonus of downhill being free speed!"

Tell that to the Fenland marshwiggles on this thread - the only hills they have are flyovers!

But yes, hills are an additional part of the mix when moving from beginner to intermediate...

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I have my 5k park run tomorrow, as long as I make it in time, not looking forward to it, and it's meant to be hilly

Hills build strength & make the flats easier, added bonus of downhill being free speed!

Tell that to the Fenland marshwiggles on this thread - the only hills they have are flyovers!

But yes, hills are an additional part of the mix when moving from beginner to intermediate..."

I'm technically one of these Fenland runners, we do actually have hills!

But, hills do not make it easier to run on the flat. The only way you improve running on the flat is by running on the flat!

If you are used to running up and down hills, you put effort in going up the hill, then recover going downhill. There is no recovery on the flat.

over a year ago

But yes, hills are an additional part of the mix when moving from beginner to intermediate...

But, hills do not make it easier to run on the flat. The only way you improve running on the flat is by running on the flat!

If you are used to running up and down hills, you put effort in going up the hill, then recover going downhill. There is no recovery on the flat."

I tend to agree to a point. The 2 hardest races I did last year were a pancake flat one, and a brutal hilly one, so the 2 extremes. Moderately hilly is good, variety of terrain means you are not using the same muscles all the time.

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

If you are used to running up and down hills, you put effort in going up the hill, then recover going downhill. There is no recovery on the flat.

I tend to agree to a point. The 2 hardest races I did last year were a pancake flat one, and a brutal hilly one, so the 2 extremes. Moderately hilly is good, variety of terrain means you are not using the same muscles all the time."

Variety in training including terrain, distance, speed...this builds general fitness, strength, speed. Then race-specific preparation for a few weeks before a target race on precisely the terrain etc of the target race.

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

Nice little 3 miler this morning to pick the car up from the pub..... Blew the cobwebs away nicely!

over a year ago

Are there any other Yorkshire Fab runners??

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

OMG I only went and bloody did it, I'm living proof that old a complete non runner and overweight the couch potato to 5k works, I did a park run, run all the way, even up hills, and all because of this thread. What's more I'm carrying on and doing the park run again next week

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

Thanks for the calves advice folks.

Anyone else seen on tweeterland a thing about running in pjs next Saturday as it's National Lay in bed day? Is it a wind up?

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"OMG I only went and bloody did it, I'm living proof that old a complete non runner and overweight the couch potato to 5k works, I did a park run, run all the way, even up hills, and all because of this thread. What's more I'm carrying on and doing the park run again next week "

Awesome. Well done x x x

over a year ago

"OMG I only went and bloody did it, I'm living proof that old a complete non runner and overweight the couch potato to 5k works, I did a park run, run all the way, even up hills, and all because of this thread. What's more I'm carrying on and doing the park run again next week "

That's brilliant news!!! Not just that you did it, but that you're carrying on. It only gets better from here, now you've cracked a 5k x

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

Fantastic... Well done!

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Thats amazing well done you

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

"OMG I only went and bloody did it, I'm living proof that old a complete non runner and overweight the couch potato to 5k works, I did a park run, run all the way, even up hills, and all because of this thread. What's more I'm carrying on and doing the park run again next week

Thats amazing well done you "

The park run is local to you, why not have a crack yourself? x

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

"OMG I only went and bloody did it, I'm living proof that old a complete non runner and overweight the couch potato to 5k works, I did a park run, run all the way, even up hills, and all because of this thread. What's more I'm carrying on and doing the park run again next week

Thats amazing well done you

The park run is local to you, why not have a crack yourself? x"

My work usually gets in the way, its not often that i get a day off at a weekend. But if i am i may well do

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

That’s incredible, well done!

over a year ago

Excellent stuff, well done you x love a success story, helps motivate the rest if us

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I tend to agree to a point. The 2 hardest races I did last year were a pancake flat one, and a brutal hilly one, so the 2 extremes. Moderately hilly is good, variety of terrain means you are not using the same muscles all the time.

Variety in training including terrain, distance, speed...this builds general fitness, strength, speed. Then race-specific preparation for a few weeks before a target race on precisely the terrain etc of the target race."

All true, but any increase in strength reduces loading on muscles, so combining hills with speed work, (flat or hilly) will increase speed as it allows the stronger legs to work harder. In the same way that squatting in the gym won't make you faster but will build resilience/strength to allow you to train to go faster, but hill work is more specific as it is a running action.

By *iberatedPairCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk

Not posted in a while but deffo still running. Onto week 8 day 1 tonorrow. An have to say. Am running longer and longer. Thanks for the motivational words from everyone who posts.

Great to see everybody doing well.

H

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Nice little 3 miler this morning to pick the car up from the pub..... Blew the cobwebs away nicely!"

Ha ha ha. V impressive and practical!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

You complete star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V v v v well done. I bet you’re thrilled!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Are there any other Yorkshire Fab runners??"

Hiya

There are a couple. What kind of running do you do?

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Not posted in a while but deffo still running. Onto week 8 day 1 tonorrow. An have to say. Am running longer and longer. Thanks for the motivational words from everyone who posts.

H "

It’s great you’ve dropped in. You’re so near the end! That’s great. 5km here you come!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Not posted in a while but deffo still running. Onto week 8 day 1 tonorrow. An have to say. Am running longer and longer. Thanks for the motivational words from everyone who posts.

H "

PS - there’s the parkrun and social on 17th if you fancy it

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Well I went back to parkrun yesterday.... It wasn't pretty and my foot hurts again now

over a year ago

Been naughty not done running but a little more horizontal exercise. Tomorrow I'm starting a programme from my friend new diet and exercise so hopefully get back into it x

By *iberatedPairCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk

Week 8 day 1 complete. 5.5 km. actually run half of my 5 minute cool down too.

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"Well I went back to parkrun yesterday.... It wasn't pretty and my foot hurts again now "

Boo x x x

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

My longest run yet at 6k, no stopping.

I’m

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"My longest run yet at 6k, no stopping.

I’m "

Awesome! Well done x

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Variety in training including terrain, distance, speed...this builds general fitness, strength, speed. Then race-specific preparation for a few weeks before a target race on precisely the terrain etc of the target race.

All true, but any increase in strength reduces loading on muscles, so combining hills with speed work, (flat or hilly) will increase speed as it allows the stronger legs to work harder. In the same way that squatting in the gym won't make you faster but will build resilience/strength to allow you to train to go faster, but hill work is more specific as it is a running action."

Hill work does not make me any fitter! For me, it is a complete waste of time. I cannot run up hills.

over a year ago

Hi everyone. I managed a 5k run this week in 42 mins....although thoroughly beaten by my running partner

Looking forward to seeing you all on 17th.

over a year ago

I have run 4.7k tonight, 2k further than I have managed to run before without walking. Woo. I am doing 2 outdoor runs a week plus some interval sprint training on the treadmill.

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

I ran 5k this afternoon and was way slower than my first attempt

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

All true, but any increase in strength reduces loading on muscles, so combining hills with speed work, (flat or hilly) will increase speed as it allows the stronger legs to work harder. In the same way that squatting in the gym won't make you faster but will build resilience/strength to allow you to train to go faster, but hill work is more specific as it is a running action.

Hill work does not make me any fitter! For me, it is a complete waste of time. I cannot run up hills."

But if you brisk walk up them, you will strengthen legs, butt & your breathing will improve ...eventually you will be able to run them.

over a year ago

Last time I went on holiday to Whitby I was doing the zigzag cliff path, run up- walk down there aren't any hills in Hull though unless you count bridges

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Last time I went on holiday to Whitby I was doing the zigzag cliff path, run up- walk down there aren't any hills in Hull though unless you count bridges"

My Dutch friends use bridges and flyovers etc for their “hill” training. Anything will do when you live in Flatland.

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Morning all!

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Morning all! "

Ahem, it’s Monday you know...

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Morning all!

Ahem, it’s Monday you know... "

I know I know.

But Tuesday is the new Monday.

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"Morning all!

Ahem, it’s Monday you know...

I know I know.

But Tuesday is the new Monday. "

Haha - well we haven’t used this thread up yet.

Parkrun on Saturday! Anyone else coming to Great Denham (edge of Bedford near the M1)?

over a year ago

I did 34 mins on the treadmill and 10 each on the cross trainer and rower machine started my healthy eating too.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Hill work does not make me any fitter! For me, it is a complete waste of time. I cannot run up hills.

But if you brisk walk up them, you will strengthen legs, butt & your breathing will improve ...eventually you will be able to run them."

No. I do know what I'm talking about. I have tried for years and I can't run up hills.

over a year ago

"I did 34 mins on the treadmill and 10 each on the cross trainer and rower machine started my healthy eating too. "

Woop. Don't forget the resistance training though

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

I've been out with club tonight, 2.5 miles, including a couple of hills, quite enjoyed it, never thought I'd say that

over a year ago

Just found this thread. Gonna have to get some new daps now

over a year ago

Mrs T where's the new thread??

After having four days off, I got my arse outside this morning.

Week 9, run 2 done. 5.8k

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

"I've been out with club tonight, 2.5 miles, including a couple of hills, quite enjoyed it, never thought I'd say that "

Did you round up the sheep too?

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

But if you brisk walk up them, you will strengthen legs, butt & your breathing will improve ...eventually you will be able to run them.

No. I do know what I'm talking about. I have tried for years and I can't run up hills."

I did not mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about, merely to point out that hill running is beneficial & also a skill that can be developed. I am off to the Malvern this morning for some uphill fun..

over a year ago

Need to get off my arse and get out running again as i haven't run in over 2 weeks due to work, snow and a damn cold

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Just found this thread. Gonna have to get some new daps now"

Google Translate doesn’t work for Wenglish so:

“Daps” - Trainers

“Posh daps” - White trainers

By *ertsDrewMan
over a year ago

Hitchin

I'm still alive!

By *rsTrellis OP   Woman
over a year ago

Cambridge

NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD... NEW THREAD...

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/737013

By *itch and TwatCouple
over a year ago

Near Rushden Lakes

No. I do know what I'm talking about. I have tried for years and I can't run up hills.

I did not mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about, merely to point out that hill running is beneficial & also a skill that can be developed. I am off to the Malvern this morning for some uphill fun.."

Uphill fun? Oo-er missus!

over a year ago

I got shin splints I really am a crap runner. I just can’t keep up with running for 25 minutes. I end up doing a fast waddle and even then my shins are agony.

I’ll cheerlead until I can chase that cheeky pug again.

over a year ago

I'm sure your a good runner. When your shin splints have sorted... try running on softer ground. If you've been running on road or pavement try grass or trail

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

I did a run Monday, and plan to do a different park run tomorrow

over a year ago

I just signed up to do a 10k in June

By *imidWoman
over a year ago

Stoke/Cheshire

Done another 5k park run this morning a different 1 this 1 was flatter and I was 4 mins faster

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Well done to everyone who managed to get to the social today. Proud of all of you (even those who decided not to do the whole course).

And well done to those who went elsewhere, unless it's your normal parkrun, it can be just as daunting!

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"I just signed up to do a 10k in June "

Well done! Plenty of time for training, even if you haven't run before (I don't know your running ability!).

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

Whoops, wrong thread again...

By *arryJones1975Man
over a year ago

ely

"Whoops, wrong thread again..."

You need a spreadsheet to find the right thread ha ha ha. Lovely to meet you.

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

Gone a bit quiet on here lately. Did my local park run this morning..... A really well organised and enjoyable way to kick off a Saturday, highly recommend!!

over a year ago

Anyone doing any running events soon?

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

You are on a very old thread, have a search for the latest one.

By *nmgCouple
over a year ago

Liverpool

"You are on a very old thread, have a search for the latest one."

Thank you!!

Post new Message to Thread