FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Celebrating the milk of human kindness....

Jump to newest

By *risky_Mare OP   Woman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Only affirmation and compassion allowed on this thread - no self-righteous judgement, venomous vitriol or people with large planks of wood in their own eye!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

I got a box of icing sugar down off the shelf for an old dear in Sainsbury's once.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

I once saved a woman from a violently abusive husband.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I once saved a woman from a violently abusive husband. "

Very commendable.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My mum had a horrible accident two weeks ago and sustained a brain injury. The hospital staff have (in the main) been kind, compassionate and caring. The health care assistants stand out for me as being patient and friendly while dealing with the most difficult and distressing people and situations. The porters, physios, social workers, catering staff, cleaners most of the nurses and doctors deserve bloody medals.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"My mum had a horrible accident two weeks ago and sustained a brain injury. The hospital staff have (in the main) been kind, compassionate and caring. The health care assistants stand out for me as being patient and friendly while dealing with the most difficult and distressing people and situations. The porters, physios, social workers, catering staff, cleaners most of the nurses and doctors deserve bloody medals. "

Good to know

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I got a box of icing sugar down off the shelf for an old dear in Sainsbury's once."

Clearly a gentleman

over a year ago

"My mum had a horrible accident two weeks ago and sustained a brain injury. The hospital staff have (in the main) been kind, compassionate and caring. The health care assistants stand out for me as being patient and friendly while dealing with the most difficult and distressing people and situations. The porters, physios, social workers, catering staff, cleaners most of the nurses and doctors deserve bloody medals. "

I hope she recovers quickly. Must be very worrying for you.

over a year ago

Three cheers for the NHS!!!

So many people knock it - but it is, without a doubt, a fantastic institution that we should all be very proud to have.

I hope you mum has speedy recovery.

over a year ago

I look after children almost every day of my life.

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

An elderly lady dropped her walking stick in town the other day, I picked it up for her and made sure she was ok before I went on my way. She looked shocked at me so it’s obvious not many people had done this for her before.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"My mum had a horrible accident two weeks ago and sustained a brain injury. The hospital staff have (in the main) been kind, compassionate and caring. The health care assistants stand out for me as being patient and friendly while dealing with the most difficult and distressing people and situations. The porters, physios, social workers, catering staff, cleaners most of the nurses and doctors deserve bloody medals.

I hope she recovers quickly. Must be very worrying for you. "

Yes, it is. Thank you.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Three cheers for the NHS!!!

So many people knock it - but it is, without a doubt, a fantastic institution that we should all be very proud to have.

I hope you mum has speedy recovery."

Thank you

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

My wife and i once saved an elderly lady who'd fallen over in her front garden. We heard her moaning as we cycled past. It was one of the hottest days of the summer and she was in a bad way. Completely helpless.

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

"I got a box of icing sugar down off the shelf for an old dear in Sainsbury's once."

I regularly get asked to do this sort of thing in the supermarket, and of course I happily oblige. I think people are mistaking me for staff as I tend do my shopping in my hi-vis bike jacket.

over a year ago

I rescue earthworms when i'm digging, though this is not entirely altruistic as a healthy population makes my life easier.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I got a box of icing sugar down off the shelf for an old dear in Sainsbury's once.

I regularly get asked to do this sort of thing in the supermarket, and of course I happily oblige. I think people are mistaking me for staff as I tend do my shopping in my hi-vis bike jacket."

Happened to me in B&Q. I ended up advising them on plumbing products!

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I rescue earthworms when i'm digging, though this is not entirely altruistic as a healthy population makes my life easier. "

I love rescuing bumble bees - refuelling them when they wake too early!

over a year ago

I gave cpr to a 2 year old little girl who had a febrile convulsion and stopped breathing.

Longest seconds of my life right there.... willing the baby to breathe, whilst trying to look calm on the outside and dying on the inside.

The relief when she cried. I didn't stop shaking for a week...

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I gave cpr to a 2 year old little girl who had a febrile convulsion and stopped breathing.

Longest seconds of my life right there.... willing the baby to breathe, whilst trying to look calm on the outside and dying on the inside.

"

over a year ago

I was first on the scene recently as someone slashed their throat in a suicide attempt. I held them and staved the bleeding until the paramedics took over.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I gave cpr to a 2 year old little girl who had a febrile convulsion and stopped breathing.

"

Yes, the compulsion to save the life of another and it's emotional impact upon us is not fully explained by 'learned behaviour'.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I was first on the scene recently as someone slashed their throat in a suicide attempt. I held them and staved the bleeding until the paramedics took over.

"

Yikes, that's pretty strong stuff!!

over a year ago

"I was first on the scene recently as someone slashed their throat in a suicide attempt. I held them and staved the bleeding until the paramedics took over.

Yikes, that's pretty strong stuff!!"

I crumble after these things. The emotions are overwhelming. It’s the third time in my life I’ve been in this type of situation.

over a year ago

"I rescue earthworms when i'm digging, though this is not entirely altruistic as a healthy population makes my life easier.

I love rescuing bumble bees - refuelling them when they wake too early! "

I used to work on a 28 acre estate where the owners had a hobby farm. They went on holiday just as their pregnant Dexter cow was due to give birth. I could see the calf was a big 'un by the size of his feet and she was having a terrible time pushing him out. I managed to salvage a short length of nylon rope which i knotted in order to pull the little bugger out.

After a great deal of effort all 3 of us were exhausted but i cleared out his airways, gave him a rub down and dragged him around to his mother's head. Both did well as a result of my ministrations and he grew into a handsome lad.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I crumble after these things. The emotions are overwhelming. It’s the third time in my life I’ve been in this type of situation. "

I am reminded of the discussion of 'right and wrong' that was, for me, suddenly trunkated, and CS Lewis' argument for an innate moral law:

"Another way of seeing that the Moral Law is not simply one of our instincts

is this. If two instincts are in conflict, and there is nothing in a creature's

mind except those two instincts, obviously the stronger of the two must win.

But at those moments when we are most conscious of the Moral Law, it usually

seems to be telling us to side with the weaker of the two impulses. You

probably want to be safe much more than you want to help the man who is

drowning: but the Moral Law tells you to help him all the same"

We all admire altruism.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I rescue earthworms when i'm digging, though this is not entirely altruistic as a healthy population makes my life easier.

I used to work on a 28 acre estate where the owners had a hobby farm. They went on holiday just as their pregnant Dexter cow was due to give birth. I could see the calf was a big 'un by the size of his feet and she was having a terrible time pushing him out. I managed to salvage a short length of nylon rope which i knotted in order to pull the little bugger out.

After a great deal of effort all 3 of us were exhausted but i cleared out his airways, gave him a rub down and dragged him around to his mother's head. Both did well as a result of my ministrations and he grew into a handsome lad. "

A farmer who had rested some land adjacent to me allowed me to graze my horses on it in return for 'keeping an eye' on his lambs. Lying in bed a 2am I could instantly tell the difference in bleat if one of them was in trouble, and shot out with my wire cutters in hand to rescue them! I love tending animals. Do not remind me of the birth of my horse, who got one elbow stuck....

over a year ago

I stopped a woman being attacked by a guy in a road rage incident at some traffic lights. Literally had to pull him out of the car he was leaning in right on top of her. Shocking!!

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I stopped a woman being attacked by a guy in a road rage incident at some traffic lights. Literally had to pull him out of the car he was leaning in right on top of her. Shocking!! "

That takes guts!

over a year ago

When I was little my friend pee'd himself, so I pee'd myself too so that he wouldn't feel so bad

over a year ago

After a great deal of effort all 3 of us were exhausted but i cleared out his airways, gave him a rub down and dragged him around to his mother's head. Both did well as a result of my ministrations and he grew into a handsome lad.

A farmer who had rested some land adjacent to me allowed me to graze my horses on it in return for 'keeping an eye' on his lambs. Lying in bed a 2am I could instantly tell the difference in bleat if one of them was in trouble, and shot out with my wire cutters in hand to rescue them! I love tending animals. Do not remind me of the birth of my horse, who got one elbow stuck.... "

Eek. Or having to lay in dew soaked grass at 4 in the morning.

over a year ago

"My wife and i once saved an elderly lady who'd fallen over in her front garden. We heard her moaning as we cycled past. It was one of the hottest days of the summer and she was in a bad way. Completely helpless. "

That was a bitch of a hill. I was glad of the rest and glad she was ok x

over a year ago

"I stopped a woman being attacked by a guy in a road rage incident at some traffic lights. Literally had to pull him out of the car he was leaning in right on top of her. Shocking!!

That takes guts! "

Didn’t feel I had a choice lol.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I stopped a woman being attacked by a guy in a road rage incident at some traffic lights. Literally had to pull him out of the car he was leaning in right on top of her. Shocking!!

That takes guts!

Didn’t feel I had a choice lol. "

That's the fascinating thing - we feel compelled!

By *entileschiWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I crumble after these things. The emotions are overwhelming. It’s the third time in my life I’ve been in this type of situation. "

I recently talked a woman down from attempting suicide. She'd walked in front of my car. Was perfectly calm throughout, but threw up when I got home. Crumbling after the event is fine.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I crumble after these things. The emotions are overwhelming. It’s the third time in my life I’ve been in this type of situation.

I recently talked a woman down from attempting suicide. She'd walked in front of my car. Was perfectly calm throughout, but threw up when I got home. Crumbling after the event is fine."

I wonder why that's such a common reaction? Acute emotional stress I guess - it shows you empathised!!

Post new Message to Thread