Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I can see your halo

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Most of the 2018 Formula 1 cars have been unveiled and the halo doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would. The designers have managed to blend it in to the livery quite well.

However I still don’t see how it will make cars any safer. Surely a slight obstruction at 200mph is a hazard in itself.

I’m all for making the cars safer for the driver but I don’t believe the halo is the correct way to go

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Cars have halos? Who knew?

over a year ago

"Cars have halos? Who knew?

"

Mainly motor sport fans. I wouldn’t blame someone who’s not at least an F1 fan to not know what I’m on about

By *ullBodiedVixenWoman
over a year ago

Sawtry

If it makes a difference between having your head squished and not having your head squished im all for it regardless of how it looks

By *lastic.Mask.ManMan
over a year ago

Grimsby

Mainly there for protection incase of a roll or another car lands ontop of the cockpit. It can apparently support 20 tonnes.

By *elnkazCouple
over a year ago

cheshire

My halo slipped years ago

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I has a quick look at the new designs at lunchtime. To be honest I'd forgotten about the halo thing... They don't stand out at all.

Presumably they allow good enough vision to be safe, otherwise it would defeat the object.

Looking forward to the new season

Nita

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

I'm surprised thay can still see as it looks like it blocks part of Thar vue.

over a year ago

"If it makes a difference between having your head squished and not having your head squished im all for it regardless of how it looks"

I was reading about the halo and studies shown it wouldn’t have saved bianchis life or protected massa from when the spring hit him.

There may have been more studies since I’m fairness.

I think the windscreen would have been a better solution. I think they’ve implemented them into Indy car. Makes much more sense to me

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Mercedes have posted an Interesting onboard video with the Halo.

Can’t say I’m impressed

Check their channel out on YouTube

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mainly motor sport fans. I wouldn’t blame someone who’s not at least an F1 fan to not know what I’m on about "

That would be me

(The not knowing bit)

over a year ago

Mainly motor sport fans. I wouldn’t blame someone who’s not at least an F1 fan to not know what I’m on about

That would be me

(The not knowing bit)"

Come to my house one weekend, I’ll give you a crash course

over a year ago

That would be me

(The not knowing bit)

Come to my house one weekend, I’ll give you a crash course "

Leave my halo at the door

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

My halo is firmly in place.

Sister LisaB

over a year ago

That would be me

(The not knowing bit)

Come to my house one weekend, I’ll give you a crash course

Leave my halo at the door "

Yes please

over a year ago

Surely if it was too much of a visual obstruction it would never have been allowed to be implemented.

Short of giving the cars an entire re-model, which would be ridiculous, I think it's a step in the right direction.

over a year ago

"Surely if it was too much of a visual obstruction it would never have been allowed to be implemented.

Short of giving the cars an entire re-model, which would be ridiculous, I think it's a step in the right direction."

Why not go for the shield like Indy have done? Full face protection and no visual obstructions

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Surely if it was too much of a visual obstruction it would never have been allowed to be implemented.

Short of giving the cars an entire re-model, which would be ridiculous, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Why not go for the shield like Indy have done? Full face protection and no visual obstructions "

Because it's not for face protection. It's to protect from head injuries if the car turns over or lands on top of yours.

As a slight side note, I remember watching the race when Dan Wheldon died. I remember how heartbroken I was. Whatever any motorsport can do to protect their drivers gets a thumbs up from me.

over a year ago

Why not go for the shield like Indy have done? Full face protection and no visual obstructions

Because it's not for face protection. It's to protect from head injuries if the car turns over or lands on top of yours."

You beat me to the post.

over a year ago

Racing drivers race to win and for the thrill of racing..it makes their heart race and whenever they strap themselves into the seat they know that it could end up with a crash or worse. The halo is just another part of sanitising a once-great sport.

By *ero666Man
over a year ago

fife

I've been missing mines for years

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Racing drivers race to win and for the thrill of racing..it makes their heart race and whenever they strap themselves into the seat they know that it could end up with a crash or worse. The halo is just another part of sanitising a once-great sport. "

I would rather each and every racing driver died an old man (or woman) in their beds. I've watched the sport for over 25 years. I never want a weekend like Imola again.

over a year ago

"Racing drivers race to win and for the thrill of racing..it makes their heart race and whenever they strap themselves into the seat they know that it could end up with a crash or worse. The halo is just another part of sanitising a once-great sport.

I would rather each and every racing driver died an old man (or woman) in their beds. I've watched the sport for over 25 years. I never want a weekend like Imola again."

They know the risks every time they jump in the car. I bet Ayrton Senna is spinning in his grave at the 2018 cars, the risk and rewards is why they race...or used to race.

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

"My halo is firmly in place.

Sister LisaB "

So is mine

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

"Racing drivers race to win and for the thrill of racing..it makes their heart race and whenever they strap themselves into the seat they know that it could end up with a crash or worse. The halo is just another part of sanitising a once-great sport.

I would rather each and every racing driver died an old man (or woman) in their beds. I've watched the sport for over 25 years. I never want a weekend like Imola again.

They know the risks every time they jump in the car. I bet Ayrton Senna is spinning in his grave at the 2018 cars, the risk and rewards is why they race...or used to race."

There is still that risk every time someone races. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want someone to die for my entertainment. I would rather, if they did push too far and get in a horrific accident, them to be able to walk away from it and race another time.

over a year ago

What’s the alternative to the halo? F1 teams have looked for other options and haven’t found them. The answer ‘well they take the risk’ isn’t sufficient as the drivers have been supporting this!

over a year ago

"Racing drivers race to win and for the thrill of racing..it makes their heart race and whenever they strap themselves into the seat they know that it could end up with a crash or worse. The halo is just another part of sanitising a once-great sport. "

Strange that the likes of Jackie Stewart put so much effort into improving safety in F1 then!

over a year ago

I bet the Halo handles well on ring roads.

Post new Message to Thread