Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Englishmen

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Something iv noticed . On the grand tour (old top gear) when they do the celebrity face of when a Welsh man is on he has a Welsh flag. Same for Scots and the same for northern Ireland. So why when an Englishman is on do they use the union flag. It's like we should be ashamed of the George cross.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Because essentially it's been hijacked by right-wing scum

over a year ago

But it's no national flag

over a year ago

I don't understand.

over a year ago

What

over a year ago

Our

over a year ago

Mostly because flying the george cross is seen as being anti unionist.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Screw that. I wave the st george and have one of those stupid lepricaun style hats with it on. The far right twats will never own my flag.

over a year ago

So why fly the st Andrews isn't that the same

over a year ago

I saw a plastic St. George sticker plastered to a wheelie bin.

People show patriotism in the oddest of ways

over a year ago

"So why fly the st Andrews isn't that the same"

It's called a Saltire.

And it's not the same.

over a year ago

And as for calling someone scum because they don't share your political views is a bit childish

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

You are right technically, but we don't really fly it in England do we, sadly. Except from Council houses at European/World cup football time, and then Labour MP's criticise that.

In Wales from public buildings, historic castles etc, they fly the dragon. Scotland, they do the same with the Saltire. Here we fly the Union Jack.

Although let's not complain, because anything is better than nothing (except for the EU flag). Go to the USA, and the Stars and Stripes are flying from so many buildings.

over a year ago

Have your flag.

I couldn't care less what your political views are. That's called democracy.

over a year ago

"You are right technically, but we don't really fly it in England do we, sadly. Except from Council houses at European/World cup football time, and then Labour MP's criticise that.

In Wales from public buildings, historic castles etc, they fly the dragon. Scotland, they do the same with the Saltire. Here we fly the Union Jack.

Although let's not complain, because anything is better than nothing (except for the EU flag). Go to the USA, and the Stars and Stripes are flying from so many buildings."

Union Flag.

over a year ago

I've got to be honest as an Englishman I've never held an English flag ,I support English rugby and football but have never worn an England shirt ,England's playing Italy Sunday c'mon England

over a year ago

"So why fly the st Andrews isn't that the same

It's called a Saltire.

And it's not the same. "

Why's it not the same. What's good for one is good for all surely.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"And as for calling someone scum because they don't share your political views is a bit childish "

Not in the least bit childish to call people with far right wing views scum when those views are invariably based on bigotry and hatred and those views are seen as a justification for violence and threatening behaviour as is the case with those on the far right.

over a year ago

"You are right technically, but we don't really fly it in England do we, sadly. Except from Council houses at European/World cup football time, and then Labour MP's criticise that.

Although let's not complain, because anything is better than nothing (except for the EU flag). Go to the USA, and the Stars and Stripes are flying from so many buildings."

No we don't because we are told to remove it In case it causes offence. How can a flag offend anyone. Surley if a country's flag offends you to the point you start complaint when you see it then maybe it's time you looked into moving. Yes the yanks do fly there's all over the place. They are allowed to be proud. If I put mine up I'll be labeld as a racist by the weak minded morons. I and many friends have spilt blood for the United kingdom and I'd have done any thing to protect them while I was serving black white green or red I don't care. Race dosnt determine weather or not your a decent person.. it's probably not even the non UK residents that are complaining about it. The likes or Lily Allen and her lot.

over a year ago

Although let's not complain, because anything is better than nothing (except for the EU flag). Go to the USA, and the Stars and Stripes are flying from so many buildings.

No we don't because we are told to remove it In case it causes offence. How can a flag offend anyone. Surley if a country's flag offends you to the point you start complaint when you see it then maybe it's time you looked into moving. Yes the yanks do fly there's all over the place. They are allowed to be proud. If I put mine up I'll be labeld as a racist by the weak minded morons. I and many friends have spilt blood for the United kingdom and I'd have done any thing to protect them while I was serving black white green or red I don't care. Race dosnt determine weather or not your a decent person.. it's probably not even the non UK residents that are complaining about it. The likes or Lily Allen and her lot."

There is so much wrong with that message. SO much.

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Because essentially it's been hijacked by right-wing scum"

Oh dear, predictable answer.

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Sadly the left wing brigade have made being patriotic into some sort of xenophobic racial issue

over a year ago

Well explain then clever boy

over a year ago

"Because essentially it's been hijacked by right-wing scum

Oh dear, predictable answer."

I'm not saying it's wrong to fly a flag. Strap it up wherever you like. I'm answering a question that was posed off the back of watching the Grand Tour.

over a year ago

Mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Union Flag. "

Aw man. I so feel you. Calling it the jack grinds my gears!

over a year ago

Sadly the left wing brigade have made being patriotic into some sort of xenophobic racial issue"

Honestly it's like Farage Bingo. I wondered how long it would take to read "lefty Brigade"

Why is it that the right of centre or right wing always bust out the brigades?

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Sadly the left wing brigade have made being patriotic into some sort of xenophobic racial issue

Honestly it's like Farage Bingo. I wondered how long it would take to read "lefty Brigade"

Why is it that the right of centre or right wing always bust out the brigades? "

Ok then, left wing scum

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

"I've got to be honest as an Englishman I've never held an English flag ,I support English rugby and football but have never worn an England shirt ,England's playing Italy Sunday c'mon England "

England are playing scotland on sunday at rugby. The footy match is not till march i thought.

over a year ago

Ok then, left wing scum "

You have no idea about my political stance.

But from the way you're writing I know yours.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Sadly the left wing brigade have made being patriotic into some sort of xenophobic racial issue"

Not at all - I consider myself to have left wing views and am as patriotic as the next man and would have absolutely no issue with the St George's cross being flown at any time. Yes there are those on the right who HAVE hijacked it and use it to justify their cause, and there ARE those on the left who take issue with it's use too - unfortunately in BOTH cases the media jump on it and blow it out of proportion making it a lot bigger issue than it is. Daily Fail "Looney Left" style headlines abound and people are taken in by it.

This thread is a good example of exactly how things can get skewed - the OP was asking about the use of flags on a TV programme but phrased the question in such a way as to infer some kind of political angle to it. Truth of the matter is I have no idea, and nor do most people responding to this thread, as to why they use the Union Flag for English people on the show - only the programme makers can answer that one

By *eefyBangerMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

Ok then, left wing scum

You have no idea about my political stance.

But from the way you're writing I know yours. "

Good for you, you're my hero!

over a year ago

I think it's a cultural thing. I'm pretty sure the majority of us English folk don't fly a flag outside our homes or offices because we just don't feel so inclined. It's not like there used to a time when we did (except maybe in times of war, world cups, etc) so I don't think it can be claimed with any authority that the right or the left has changed the nation's attitude on the subject. We were never bothered, and we're still not. I like it this way.

By *olliPineCouple
over a year ago

swingers clubs

Sadly this is true! It seems we're not allowed to be proud to be English.

We go mad for St Patrick's day, we celebrate Burns night etc but having a national day for England seems frowned upon.

I was down the town last year, on St George's day. Walked past a pub draped in St George's crosses.

And my immediate thought was it must be full of skin headed thugs with misspelt tattoos.

It may not have been, but I'll never know as I avoided the place presuming it was BNP rally point.

I didn't know it was St George's day until the following week.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Unionist, and firmly believe we're better together, but why can't the English also celebrate their national identity while all our nations should be proud of the way they can co-exist and cooperate peacefully as a union while maintaining that level of national identity.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Thinking this over. I don't think I have ever cared if they show the union flag for an englishman.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Sadly this is true! It seems we're not allowed to be proud to be English.

We go mad for St Patrick's day, we celebrate Burns night etc but having a national day for England seems frowned upon.

I was down the town last year, on St George's day. Walked past a pub draped in St George's crosses.

And my immediate thought was it must be full of skin headed thugs with misspelt tattoos.

It may not have been, but I'll never know as I avoided the place presuming it was BNP rally point.

I didn't know it was St George's day until the following week.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Unionist, and firmly believe we're better together, but why can't the English also celebrate their national identity while all our nations should be proud of the way they can co-exist and cooperate peacefully as a union while maintaining that level of national identity. "

Hear hear

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

You English crack me up.

You're forever whinging about lack of national pride, but do you ever make an effort on St George's Day?

No you don't.

Over here in Wales (as well as Scotland and Ireland) we don't just proudly celebrate our own national day, we celebrate the others as well (St Patrick's Day is always a hoot in Wales).

We just think you English like nothing better than whinging.

over a year ago

"You English crack me up.

You're forever whinging about lack of national pride, but do you ever make an effort on St George's Day?

No you don't.

Over here in Wales (as well as Scotland and Ireland) we don't just proudly celebrate our own national day, we celebrate the others as well (St Patrick's Day is always a hoot in Wales).

We just think you English like nothing better than whinging."

I fled the country about 10years ago. I'll never go back.

Scotland is my home now

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Simple fact of the matter is "we English" have never celebrated St George's Day for as long as I've been alive - just seems in recent years that people have jumped on it and made a "thing" out of the fact we don't

Personally I couldn't care less if we did or didn't - if a non-political and non-contentious way of celebrating it were come up with I may well take part but really don't understand the bleating that there is nothing when there was nothing there in the first place.

over a year ago

"Simple fact of the matter is "we English" have never celebrated St George's Day for as long as I've been alive - just seems in recent years that people have jumped on it and made a "thing" out of the fact we don't

Personally I couldn't care less if we did or didn't - if a non-political and non-contentious way of celebrating it were come up with I may well take part but really don't understand the bleating that there is nothing when there was nothing there in the first place."

Exactly.

over a year ago

"Simple fact of the matter is "we English" have never celebrated St George's Day for as long as I've been alive - just seems in recent years that people have jumped on it and made a "thing" out of the fact we don't

Personally I couldn't care less if we did or didn't - if a non-political and non-contentious way of celebrating it were come up with I may well take part but really don't understand the bleating that there is nothing when there was nothing there in the first place."

Add in that St George wasn't even English and it all seems more farcical

over a year ago

Personally I couldn't care less if we did or didn't - if a non-political and non-contentious way of celebrating it were come up with I may well take part but really don't understand the bleating that there is nothing when there was nothing there in the first place.

Add in that St George wasn't even English and it all seems more farcical"

And he slayed dragons. Seems legit.

over a year ago

National days or Saints Days seem to revolve around getting hammered.

In terms of patriotism it is an excuse for tat to be pedalled and lots of alcohol to be consumed.

In England it falls by the wayside because (in my view) we embrace multiculturalism and respect the right of others to celebrate their heritage and culture. Conversely we are slightly embarrased about our Imperialistic past.

Notting Hill carnival, Pride marches, St Patricks day etc would all get a better turnout as it is an excuse to celebrate in a positive manner.

A St George's day celebration could be seen as non inclusive for all the reasons stated previously.

As for flying the St George flag, it is synonymous with football hooliganism, EDL and other negativity.

over a year ago

No you don't.

I think there's some truth in the whinging thing, but it comes from a minority. Mind you, when I lived Wales I found the Welsh were constantly moaning... about the English

over a year ago

i never noticed

over a year ago

Cant stand plastic paddy's

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

St Patricks day gets celebrated in England hugely. By both irish and none irish alike. None of the others seem too. I don't really know why that is.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

"National days or Saints Days seem to revolve around getting hammered.

In terms of patriotism it is an excuse for tat to be pedalled and lots of alcohol to be consumed.

In England it falls by the wayside because (in my view) we embrace multiculturalism and respect the right of others to celebrate their heritage and culture. Conversely we are slightly embarrased about our Imperialistic past.

Notting Hill carnival, Pride marches, St Patricks day etc would all get a better turnout as it is an excuse to celebrate in a positive manner.

A St George's day celebration could be seen as non inclusive for all the reasons stated previously.

As for flying the St George flag, it is synonymous with football hooliganism, EDL and other negativity.

"

And yet i fly mine with pride

over a year ago

"St Patricks day gets celebrated in England hugely. By both irish and none irish alike. None of the others seem too. I don't really know why that is."

Guinness

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"St Patricks day gets celebrated in England hugely. By both irish and none irish alike. None of the others seem too. I don't really know why that is."

Because St Patrick's Day is dressed up as a "drinking" event I guess - is a fairly recent thing too embraced and promoted by pubs as a means to bring extra revenue in. I don't really recall it being that big a thing (outside of traditional Irish pubs) until the likes of O'Neill's pubs came along and made it a "thing"

over a year ago

No you don't.

We have a street parade.

over a year ago

"St Patricks day gets celebrated in England hugely. By both irish and none irish alike. None of the others seem too. I don't really know why that is.

Because St Patrick's Day is dressed up as a "drinking" event I guess - is a fairly recent thing too embraced and promoted by pubs as a means to bring extra revenue in. I don't really recall it being that big a thing (outside of traditional Irish pubs) until the likes of O'Neill's pubs came along and made it a "thing""

My Irish in laws don't celebrate St Patrick's day. My brother in law is d*unk every day.

over a year ago

No we don't because we are told to remove it In case it causes offence. How can a flag offend anyone. Surley if a country's flag offends you to the point you start complaint when you see it then maybe it's time you looked into moving. Yes the yanks do fly there's all over the place. They are allowed to be proud. If I put mine up I'll be labeld as a racist by the weak minded morons. I and many friends have spilt blood for the United kingdom and I'd have done any thing to protect them while I was serving black white green or red I don't care. Race dosnt determine weather or not your a decent person.. it's probably not even the non UK residents that are complaining about it. The likes or Lily Allen and her lot."

Jesus! If you believe all that nonsense then you spend too much time on facebook reading clickbait! So disappointing to think people still fall for this crap!

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Odd fact.

Whilst i Don't know a huge amount of irish men or women not a single one of them that I do know can stand guiness!

over a year ago

"Odd fact.

Whilst i Don't know a huge amount of irish men or women not a single one of them that I do know can stand guiness!"

And that old fallacy that irish can drink,rubish,at a funeral in dublin a few years ago every body buggered off home after a few pints.....dash riprock: last man standing/ rocking

over a year ago

If England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are competing against each other in an event then each individual country should be flying it's own flag with pride. If these countries are combining there efforts against other competing nations then we should fly the Union flag with pride.

It really shouldn't be any more complicated than that!

In the context of The Grand Tour...if they had representatives of the other 3 united kingdom members flying there own flag, and it was in the spirit of fun and healthy competition, the 4th flag should have been the St George cross!

Only the program producers can answer why that wasn't the case!

It's a small amount of small minded people that wave the George cross with bad intent.

No one from the far right will hijack my flag and no one from the far left will tell me I shouldn't wave it on appropriate occasions and at appropriate events.

The last England football shirt I bought for my son has Dele Alli's name on the back. My national identity encompasses the multi cultural society that we all live in and I am proud of that.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

"If England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are competing against each other in an event then each individual country should be flying it's own flag with pride. If these countries are combining there efforts against other competing nations then we should fly the Union flag with pride.

It really shouldn't be any more complicated than that!

In the context of The Grand Tour...if they had representatives of the other 3 united kingdom members flying there own flag, and it was in the spirit of fun and healthy competition, the 4th flag should have been the St George cross!

Only the program producers can answer why that wasn't the case!

It's a small amount of small minded people that wave the George cross with bad intent.

No one from the far right will hijack my flag and no one from the far left will tell me I shouldn't wave it on appropriate occasions and at appropriate events.

The last England football shirt I bought for my son has Dele Alli's name on the back. My national identity encompasses the multi cultural society that we all live in and I am proud of that."

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

"Odd fact.

Whilst i Don't know a huge amount of irish men or women not a single one of them that I do know can stand guiness!

And that old fallacy that irish can drink,rubish,at a funeral in dublin a few years ago every body buggered off home after a few pints.....dash riprock: last man standing/ rocking"

Obviously you just went to the funeral and not the wake, if there was a wake. There usually isn't as people in Dublin can't take the time off work.

I have lived in UK, France and Ireland, and 100% the Irish drink the heaviest. It's getting less popular because all the guys are bulking out and getting fitter, and they tend to binge drink more like the british in Dublin.

over a year ago

"Odd fact.

And that old fallacy that irish can drink,rubish,at a funeral in dublin a few years ago every body buggered off home after a few pints.....dash riprock: last man standing/ rocking

Obviously you just went to the funeral and not the wake, if there was a wake. There usually isn't as people in Dublin can't take the time off work.

I have lived in UK, France and Ireland, and 100% the Irish drink the heaviest. It's getting less popular because all the guys are bulking out and getting fitter, and they tend to binge drink more like the british in Dublin."

I would have still whooped there ass at a wake,just because your irish does automatically make you a big/good drinker

over a year ago

"Odd fact.

I have lived in UK, France and Ireland, and 100% the Irish drink the heaviest. It's getting less popular because all the guys are bulking out and getting fitter, and they tend to binge drink more like the british in Dublin.

I would have still whooped there ass at a wake,just because your irish does automatically make you a big/good drinker"

Doesnt*

over a year ago

I think it also depends where you live in England. All our local schools here have the George cross flag flying, yet when I lived in London, not even a Union Jack would be flown. Having lived in wales for several years as well, I love that as a nation they fight for their country and their values. If England, especially London had more backbone and were less worried about offending people we may still be able to fly the George cross without feeling we were offending other cultures... even tho they have no problem flying theirs in the UK. I love the diversity we have in this country, but I don’t think we should lose our own identity because of it.

over a year ago

No we don't because we are told to remove it In case it causes offence. How can a flag offend anyone. Surley if a country's flag offends you to the point you start complaint when you see it then maybe it's time you looked into moving. Yes the yanks do fly there's all over the place. They are allowed to be proud. If I put mine up I'll be labeld as a racist by the weak minded morons. I and many friends have spilt blood for the United kingdom and I'd have done any thing to protect them while I was serving black white green or red I don't care. Race dosnt determine weather or not your a decent person.. it's probably not even the non UK residents that are complaining about it. The likes or Lily Allen and her lot.

Jesus! If you believe all that nonsense then you spend too much time on facebook reading clickbait! So disappointing to think people still fall for this crap!"

Belive all what nonsense

Post new Message to Thread