Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bailiffs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone had experience with dealing with them. Friend who has mental health issues has had a visit and is beside herself as she doesn't have the money to pay and they're demanding full payment , the bastards

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can she do instalments? My only experience is those programmes on daytime telly but if there’s genuine difficulty but a willingness to settle by instalments then they’ll usually take that provided she sticks to the schedule.

I hope it goes well for her.

over a year ago

"Anyone had experience with dealing with them. Friend who has mental health issues has had a visit and is beside herself as she doesn't have the money to pay and they're demanding full payment , the bastards "

They collect debts that have been rung up by people in the orders of the court so why are they bastards?

By *ky19Man
over a year ago

Plymouth

I know someone in that exact situation, agree they are bastards, they seem to prey on more vulnerable people.

By *evil_u_knowMan
over a year ago

city

They do seem to hit soft targets more often, while a known criminal can keep his audi for example.

But they are just doing a job, people need to pay for stuff. All I know is from tv where they seem to be willing to work out installment payments.

How true that is to reality I dunno.

over a year ago

"Anyone had experience with dealing with them. Friend who has mental health issues has had a visit and is beside herself as she doesn't have the money to pay and they're demanding full payment , the bastards

They collect debts that have been rung up by people in the orders of the court so why are they bastards?"

If you knew all the details, you might agree. They also seem to be lacking in sensitivity when dealing with someone who is already suicidal

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

They normally demand full payment if it goes to the high court, that is after numerous attempts to collect payment previous to that. It will then depend on the person/ organization to whom she owes the money, whether they will accept a lesser payment.

By *appy squirrelWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

pretty much all debt collection companies are happy with repayment plans. she might have to provide evidence of her income and expenses to show that she is not able to pay more. there are usually organisations around (don't know where she lives) that help people with mh difficulties with benefits and debt advice. she can try to call the coucil as well to ask for supporting organisations.

By *s_bettyboopWoman
over a year ago

Contact citizens advice,or do a google I, think if the person is classed as vunerable and meet certain requirements the baliffs have to handle it differently.

over a year ago

They don’t pray, they are instructed by the courts and are doing their jobs.

I’m sorry your friend is in this situation but there are supports available for mh and debt

By *inky guy 88Man
over a year ago

luton

First thing to find out is are they court apointed Bailifs or debt collectors. Bailifs can only take good belonging to the person named in the court order, so if several people live in the property you could delay them by being unclear on who owns the goods. Ultimately if you want to help you need to find out if someone has a genuine claim for money and if so arrange a payment plan. If you are dealing with unregistered debt collectors probably best to involve the police. Hope this helps.

over a year ago

"Anyone had experience with dealing with them. Friend who has mental health issues has had a visit and is beside herself as she doesn't have the money to pay and they're demanding full payment , the bastards "

From what iv seen court bailifs do try to help usually its the dodgy fuckers who work for catalogs and loan companys you need to watch out for they will try anything to get money out of you

over a year ago

"Anyone had experience with dealing with them. Friend who has mental health issues has had a visit and is beside herself as she doesn't have the money to pay and they're demanding full payment , the bastards

They collect debts that have been rung up by people in the orders of the court so why are they bastards?

If you knew all the details, you might agree. They also seem to be lacking in sensitivity when dealing with someone who is already suicidal "

Are they involved with mental health services? If so they need to speak tp them and ask them to speak to the bailiffs and original debtor and advise them of the risk to safety due to the mental health issues. If the bailiffs don't listen to them then it can be escalated via FSO, sadly all of this is stressful and takes time.

If someone has severe mental health issues creditors will usually take that in to account particularly if a payment plan (however mininimal) is offered

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Bailiffs or High Court Enforcement agencies all have to abide by working practices and regulations.

If the OP's friend has Mental Health issues alongside this debt problem, they need to seek help ASAP. Speak to their local Citizens Advice, even enlist the help of their GP.

I'd suggest too if they have the back up of family or friends who can assist, especially when a "visit" from authorities arises.

However, if the people are from Licensed and Registered companies, the underlying medical issues are a factor they are trained in & how to deal with them.

After all, they are only doing their job and aren't gaining financially themselves as they are salaried.

over a year ago

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/bailiffs/how-bailiffs-should-treat-you/how-bailiffs-should-treat-you-if-youre-vulnerable/

They have stricter rules to adhere to when dealing with vulnerable clients.

over a year ago

Under no circumstances invite them into the home or leave an opportunity for them to enter the home, once inside they can start repossession, they cannot take clothing or cookers or children's things but can take TVs computers etc.

Even if they show your friend a warrant don't let them in, the warrant is to recover goods not force entry to a property, if they threatened to force entry call the police immediately.

The best thing though is to try and sort it before it gets to that stage.

over a year ago

Bailiffs are fucking scum, sorry to hear about your friend.

They're not allowed to force entry. Keep all doors locked, and if there's a chain on the door use it every time someone knocks.

If they have a warrant, demand to see it. Check to see if it is signed by a judge. If not, then tell them to fuck off.

Go to citizen's advice, or google step change debt charity. Depending on how much debt there is, you could get it written off with a debt relief order, but there is a £90 application fee.

Also try contacting Mind or another mental health charity if there is one nearby, they could help if your friend is struggling with sorting everything out.

Best of luck, and don't worry about the threatening letters. They're designed to look more serious than they actually are, and the whole idea is to try and intimidate you into paying up.

As tempting as it is don't threaten them or raise your voice, because they can and probably will call a pig to help them gain entry.

They might just be doing a job, but it's a cunt's job. Any decent person would rather be on the dole than go around intimidating mentally ill women for a living. I know I bloody would.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"First thing to find out is are they court apointed Bailifs or debt collectors. Bailifs can only take good belonging to the person named in the court order, so if several people live in the property you could delay them by being unclear on who owns the goods. Ultimately if you want to help you need to find out if someone has a genuine claim for money and if so arrange a payment plan. If you are dealing with unregistered debt collectors probably best to involve the police. Hope this helps."

If you muck them about, they will be less likely to be helpfull and it's down to you to prove you don't own stuff, not for them to prove you do.

So they will take it anyway...

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"Bailiffs are fucking scum, sorry to hear about your friend.

They're not allowed to force entry. Keep all doors locked, and if there's a chain on the door use it every time someone knocks.

If they have a warrant, demand to see it. Check to see if it is signed by a judge. If not, then tell them to fuck off.

Go to citizen's advice, or google step change debt charity. Depending on how much debt there is, you could get it written off with a debt relief order, but there is a £90 application fee.

Also try contacting Mind or another mental health charity if there is one nearby, they could help if your friend is struggling with sorting everything out.

Best of luck, and don't worry about the threatening letters. They're designed to look more serious than they actually are, and the whole idea is to try and intimidate you into paying up.

As tempting as it is don't threaten them or raise your voice, because they can and probably will call a pig to help them gain entry.

They might just be doing a job, but it's a cunt's job. Any decent person would rather be on the dole than go around intimidating mentally ill women for a living. I know I bloody would."

The above is correct but try using grown up language...

over a year ago

They might just be doing a job, but it's a cunt's job. Any decent person would rather be on the dole than go around intimidating mentally ill women for a living. I know I bloody would.

The above is correct but try using grown up language... "

Sorry I can't help it, I'm from Scotland and that's how I talk in real life :P

over a year ago

Citizens Advice.

over a year ago

Is she on income support?? If so legally debt collectors/bailiffs cannot enforce any judgment. She needs to get debt advice swiftly. Try ringing or going online to "Stepchange" they are a free debt advice service and may be able to help.

It's all very well for sanctimonious members to say things need to be paid for but there are vulnerable people out there folks, not everyone has a " I don't want to pay attitude, some genuinely can't pay or unable to manage finances in first place XXX

over a year ago

Sorry I can't help it, I'm from Scotland and that's how I talk in real life :P"

If it’s a Warrant of Contrrol from a County Court, it won’t be signed by a judge. They never have been.

If she wants to pay by instalments, she needs to complete an N245 and a Help with Fees form to be exempt from paying the application fee.

(This is if it’s a warrant from a County Court)

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Bailiffs have no legal right to enter the property, unless it’s for non-payment of council tax. Therefore they can’t call the police to help them enter, regardless of what you do (unless for council tax).

Call Stepchange, the debt advice charity with your friend - they will be able to help organise an advocate to help out.

I once had an ex that left me with unpaid bills to the tune of thousands and hid the demand letters. I remember how distraught I was after I kicked him out and found out.

One was council tax, and I asked the bailiff if we could sort out a payment scheme. He said no, he’d give me until the next day or he’d come back with the police as tax avoidance was a crime. When I asked how I was supposed to raise £650 odd quid in less than 24 hours when I had nothing worth anything in my flat, he looked me up and down and told me that there were always ways girls could make money. I genuinely considered what he was inferring - I was in my mid-twenties: scared, isolated and genuinely thought I was going to prison (having worked for the council tax department, I now know that it would be highly unlikely!). Rang round every friend I had and managed to get the money together. Paid him and he came round the next day with more bills. Funnily enough, I have a bit of a thing for not letting anyone else be responsible for bills now!

So yes, I think bailiffs are bastards and they develop a knack for singling out the vulnerable ones. Your friend has every legal right to just ignore the banging door - it’s terrifying and won’t help her mental health, but if you are willing to work with her and a debt advice charity such as Stepchange, hopefully between you, you guys can sort the mess out.

Good luck *hugs*

over a year ago

"Bailiffs have no legal right to enter the property, unless it’s for non-payment of council tax. Therefore they can’t call the police to help them enter, regardless of what you do (unless for council tax).

Call Stepchange, the debt advice charity with your friend - they will be able to help organise an advocate to help out.

I once had an ex that left me with unpaid bills to the tune of thousands and hid the demand letters. I remember how distraught I was after I kicked him out and found out.

One was council tax, and I asked the bailiff if we could sort out a payment scheme. He said no, he’d give me until the next day or he’d come back with the police as tax avoidance was a crime. When I asked how I was supposed to raise £650 odd quid in less than 24 hours when I had nothing worth anything in my flat, he looked me up and down and told me that there were always ways girls could make money. I genuinely considered what he was inferring - I was in my mid-twenties: scared, isolated and genuinely thought I was going to prison (having worked for the council tax department, I now know that it would be highly unlikely!). Rang round every friend I had and managed to get the money together. Paid him and he came round the next day with more bills. Funnily enough, I have a bit of a thing for not letting anyone else be responsible for bills now!

So yes, I think bailiffs are bastards and they develop a knack for singling out the vulnerable ones. Your friend has every legal right to just ignore the banging door - it’s terrifying and won’t help her mental health, but if you are willing to work with her and a debt advice charity such as Stepchange, hopefully between you, you guys can sort the mess out.

Good luck *hugs*"

One bailiff being a cunt that should have been reported does not make all bailiffs cunts.

Stop with the generalisation

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

That's a horrible and scary situation to be in,but hopefully those calling bailiffs will never actually need their services when someone else owes them thousands of pounds!

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Sorry I can't help it, I'm from Scotland and that's how I talk in real life :P"

Being Scottish has nothing to do with it, my family is Scottish and none of them talk like that...

Telling a bailiff to fuck off is not going to help her situation, where as polite dialogue with the door chain on may start the ball rooling in the right direction unless the bailiff is an unsavoury character...

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

From what I understand, they cannot leave you destitute. You are entitled to a basic essentials and are therefore allowed a reasonable standard of living. I think these include clothes, fridge, TV or computer, sofa - furnishings. Things like jewellery, cars and personal finance are then open to used to repay the debt though this is only what I have heard so may need researching.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"From what I understand, they cannot leave you destitute. You are entitled to a basic essentials and are therefore allowed a reasonable standard of living. I think these include clothes, fridge, TV or computer, sofa - furnishings. Things like jewellery, cars and personal finance are then open to used to repay the debt though this is only what I have heard so may need researching. "

A tv and a computer are can be taken by bailiffs and are just the kind of things that they take.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"From what I understand, they cannot leave you destitute. You are entitled to a basic essentials and are therefore allowed a reasonable standard of living. I think these include clothes, fridge, TV or computer, sofa - furnishings. Things like jewellery, cars and personal finance are then open to used to repay the debt though this is only what I have heard so may need researching.

A tv and a computer are can be taken by bailiffs and are just the kind of things that they take."

If you have multiple, but they can be seen as an essential for modern living or form of engagement (something like it), so can arguably remain from what I heard. If either is under finance or isn't going to bring anything in auction due to fees and costs, they'll likely use it as a tactic but it'd have to be a very good tv or pc to take to reduce any debt.

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"From what I understand, they cannot leave you destitute. You are entitled to a basic essentials and are therefore allowed a reasonable standard of living. I think these include clothes, fridge, TV or computer, sofa - furnishings. Things like jewellery, cars and personal finance are then open to used to repay the debt though this is only what I have heard so may need researching.

A tv and a computer are can be taken by bailiffs and are just the kind of things that they take.

If you have multiple, but they can be seen as an essential for modern living or form of engagement (something like it), so can arguably remain from what I heard. If either is under finance or isn't going to bring anything in auction due to fees and costs, they'll likely use it as a tactic but it'd have to be a very good tv or pc to take to reduce any debt."

They can take every tv that you have and every computer and leave you with none.

The best defence as you say is for the bailiffs to realise that they are worth less than the costs of taking and auctioning them. It depends how much the debt is for, and how old the tv is.

6 months old Sony and you owe £300. They are likely to take it.

5 years old and you owe £5,000.00 and the tv is the only thing of value, they probably will not take it.

By *osheaMan
over a year ago

manchester

Not read the other responses (not got time). please advise your friend to not let them into their property once in they can return and force entry. Advise her to speak to them through a window in possible (they tricks if you open the door to them). she should try Stepchange and ask for their advice

By *eedsandyMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Not read the other responses (not got time). please advise your friend to not let them into their property once in they can return and force entry. Advise her to speak to them through a window in possible (they tricks if you open the door to them). she should try Stepchange and ask for their advice"

If they are from the County Court, then they can get permission to force entry.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I was woken at 6am by bailiffs banging on my door demanding £661 for driving without tax. I don't have a car but my irresponsible other half does.

Bastard came to mind but it was towards my other half not the bailiffs doing their job.

Before bailiffs come knocking paperwork is sent. People bury their heads in the sand then cite all kinds of reasons for not being responsible for their own actions.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

They collect debts that have been rung up by people in the orders of the court so why are they bastards?"

Exactly!

By *osheaMan
over a year ago

manchester

"Not read the other responses (not got time). please advise your friend to not let them into their property once in they can return and force entry. Advise her to speak to them through a window in possible (they tricks if you open the door to them). she should try Stepchange and ask for their advice

If they are from the County Court, then they can get permission to force entry."

yes I know they can but the OP didn't mention it

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I know someone in that exact situation, agree they are bastards, they seem to prey on more vulnerable people."

No they don't!

You owe money etc you're taken to court, a judgement is issued against You, you don't pay, bailiffs arise.

Who do you suggest pays other people's debts?

over a year ago

I had bailiffs come knocking over a family business that went bump and it was over £8k they were demanding they wouldn’t accept instalments but did give me 2 weeks to find the cash. They were very helpful and calm and I knew they were just doing their job the size of them was threatening enough but they were very polite and understood that I couldn’t give them the money straight away so we agreed on a time scale to sort it out and 2 weeks later it was settled

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I had bailiffs come knocking over a family business that went bump and it was over £8k they were demanding they wouldn’t accept instalments but did give me 2 weeks to find the cash. They were very helpful and calm and I knew they were just doing their job the size of them was threatening enough but they were very polite and understood that I couldn’t give them the money straight away so we agreed on a time scale to sort it out and 2 weeks later it was settled "

That's the thing: really, who likes bailiffs?

I was not amused at the ruckus they were making at 6am. I was embarrassed and just hoped they hadn't turned up with a camera crew from can't pay we'll take it away, but I didn't blame them or think them bastards. That was reserved for my numpty other half especially as I had to pay them to prevent them forcing entry and causing more drama!

over a year ago

"I had bailiffs come knocking over a family business that went bump and it was over £8k they were demanding they wouldn’t accept instalments but did give me 2 weeks to find the cash. They were very helpful and calm and I knew they were just doing their job the size of them was threatening enough but they were very polite and understood that I couldn’t give them the money straight away so we agreed on a time scale to sort it out and 2 weeks later it was settled

That's the thing: really, who likes bailiffs?

I was not amused at the ruckus they were making at 6am. I was embarrassed and just hoped they hadn't turned up with a camera crew from can't pay we'll take it away, but I didn't blame them or think them bastards. That was reserved for my numpty other half especially as I had to pay them to prevent them forcing entry and causing more drama!"

Nobody likes them and I didn’t like these 2 but I didn’t have a problem with them personally as it was the mother in laws fault for not paying her bills

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"Contact citizens advice,or do a google I, think if the person is classed as vunerable and meet certain requirements the baliffs have to handle it differently. "

Absolutely correct.

Contact CA; they will call back. Make sure that you have a notepad and pen. If your friend isn't in a position to talk to them themselves due to being upset etc. CA will talk to you if your friend gives permission i.e. they are able to speak to CA on the same phone before handing back to you.

over a year ago

I was woken at 6am by bailiffs banging on my door demanding £661 for driving without tax. I don't have a car but my irresponsible other half does.

Bastard came to mind but it was towards my other half not the bailiffs doing their job.

Before bailiffs come knocking paperwork is sent. People bury their heads in the sand then cite all kinds of reasons for not being responsible for their own actions.

"

this.

It's the modern way of blaming everyone else but yourself for the trouble you're in.

over a year ago

Some jobs you just wouldn’t do .. bailiff and slaughterhouse worker ..

over a year ago

id do a bit of googling for your friend .

how to deal with bailiffs

do i have to answer the door to a bailiff

google the bailiff company

a bailiff might have a court order to enter and seize where as a debt collector might not.

in fact neither may have a right without a court order

probably never going to go away though so best to call the company he/she in debt with and offer 5 pounds a month and demand all interest is stopped

im only kind of guessing the above but there

s lots on google

best thing is probaly a debt management company like "stepchange"

they deal with everything for you , stop the nasty letters and visits and you can pay as little as a pound a month if you have a small income

millions are in debt it dosent mean your a bad person , and there are laws to protect you .

over a year ago

one thing i think should be changed when its getting close to a bailiff visit time is how come there people dont send the debtor a recorded delivery letter that has to be signed for .

same with parking fines etc .

many letters get lost in the post , delivered to wrong address , look like junk mail so get binned etc.kids bin it , dog ate it lol.

i just think a recorded delivery letter thats been signed for would be fairer.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"one thing i think should be changed when its getting close to a bailiff visit time is how come there people dont send the debtor a recorded delivery letter that has to be signed for .

many letters get lost in the post , delivered to wrong address , look like junk mail so get binned etc.kids bin it , dog ate it lol.

"

I think you will find signed for letters are sent, after previous letters are not responded to, for whatever reason. Yes, I too empathise with vulnerable people, but they are aware they owe this debt and the sooner the creditors know you will have difficulty paying, the sooner you can come to an arrangement with them. Another way to go is an IVA, individual voluntary arrangement. In certain circumstances, these can be set up to help the debtor, realistically, set up agreements to settle the debt.

over a year ago

"one thing i think should be changed when its getting close to a bailiff visit time is how come there people dont send the debtor a recorded delivery letter that has to be signed for .

I think you will find signed for letters are sent, after previous letters are not responded to, for whatever reason. Yes, I too empathise with vulnerable people, but they are aware they owe this debt and the sooner the creditors know you will have difficulty paying, the sooner you can come to an arrangement with them. Another way to go is an IVA, individual voluntary arrangement. In certain circumstances, these can be set up to help the debtor, realistically, set up agreements to settle the debt. "

if we use a parking fine as an example , they never come recorded , if there then not paid within 14 days the fine doubles ,then continues to multiply .

i often get a big brown envelope that looks very official and open it , its always virgin junk mail..

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I think you will find signed for letters are sent, after previous letters are not responded to, for whatever reason. Yes, I too empathise with vulnerable people, but they are aware they owe this debt and the sooner the creditors know you will have difficulty paying, the sooner you can come to an arrangement with them. Another way to go is an IVA, individual voluntary arrangement. In certain circumstances, these can be set up to help the debtor, realistically, set up agreements to settle the debt.

if we use a parking fine as an example , they never come recorded , if there then not paid within 14 days the fine doubles ,then continues to multiply .

i often get a big brown envelope that looks very official and open it , its always virgin junk mail.."

Yes, that's why I said signed for letters will be sent at some point before its gets as far as bailiffs. We have to take responsibility for opening our mail, in order to pay our bils

over a year ago

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone offering advice, which I will happily pass on.

over a year ago

"Some jobs you just wouldn’t do .. bailiff and slaughterhouse worker .. "
Couldn't agree more. Id even add traffic warden to that list

over a year ago

They might just be doing a job, but it's a cunt's job. Any decent person would rather be on the dole than go around intimidating mentally ill women for a living. I know I bloody would."

“Call a pig” how charming. The police would only attend to prevent a breach of the peace, they wouldn’t get involved in gaining entry or executing the warrant.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Look up Money and Mental Health dot org for a list of the the other debt charities. There is also a guide for managing debt situations if you also have mental ill-health.

Step Change are brilliant but may be stretched in your area so do look up all the options.

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs

I am a debt collector for a Local Authority but all my cases have to go through the County Court process - we have normally sent 3 reminders, made phone calls & done a home visit ourself before it gets to that stage.

My cases are slightly different as I have access to Social Services records prior to making the decision about taking Court action.

I highly recommend Step Change to help your friend if CAB can’t. Or their Social Worker if they have one.

As sad as it is, someone could be sectioned but if they have mental capacity to deal with their finances they can still be taken to Court & chased through the enforcement system.

B x

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs

I am a debt collector for a Local Authority but all my cases have to go through the County Court process - we have normally sent 3 reminders, made phone calls & done a home visit ourself before it gets to that stage.

My cases are slightly different as I have access to Social Services records prior to making the decision about taking Court action.

I highly recommend Step Change to help your friend if CAB can’t. Or their Social Worker if they have one.

As sad as it is, someone could be sectioned but if they have mental capacity to deal with their finances they can still be taken to Court & chased through the enforcement system.

B x "

This. People are informed along the way, what will happen if they don't settle their debts or make some kind of acceptable offer to do that, that's the time to seek help, not when the bailiffs are knocking on your door.

There is help out there for vulnerable people. I don't know what kind of debt this lady has, but sometimes the lender's are at fault for giving money to people who can't manage their finances.

Post new Message to Thread