Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Smell, and memories you associate them with

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Having just showered with the Axe Apollo shower gel it reminded me of a college trip to Belgium 5-6 years ago.

In another case, when I was going to buy my first suit, we walked past a bakery in the mall, and both smelled chocolatey pies from 12 years ago that were baked in our home town. We both immediately made the connection .

Do you fabbers have any smells that you associate with a certain time or place?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

The smell of diesel fumes on a warm day reminds me of holidays... God knows where my parents took me as a child

By *ocks99Man
over a year ago

Reading

"The smell of diesel fumes on a warm day reminds me of holidays... God knows where my parents took me as a child "

Coal smoke and Palm Oil for similar reasons. Went round every narrow gauge railway in Wales as a kid.....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Creosote in spring reminds me of my dad.

Polo aftershave reminds me of an ex boyfriend and windsurfing.

I ate some jelly tots a couple of weeks ago and was transported back to my childhood. I have a profound feeling of nostalgia that made me want to cry.

over a year ago

Haha good to see other people have some too.

I wonder what other factors cause these strong connections between the place and smell.

Maybe the body had a rush of endorphins at the time so it locked the memory in our brains or something

over a year ago

Freshly mown grass... reminds of summers as a kid, with my dad mowing the lawn

Also, the smell of tomato stems- reminds me of our greenhouse when I was little!

Random, I know

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Dodgy drainage always reminds me of cheap package holidays

over a year ago

New car smell reminds me of when I'm going on holidays to Blackpool when was a kid.

A certain ladies perfume reminds me of a girl I dated 11 years ago. Sadly it only lasted a week but I still remember that smell

By *ack_at_the_farm....Man
over a year ago

woodhall spa

Freshly laid bitumen reminds me of this blonde girl i used to see at a local bus stop on the way to school one summer during my teens. It had been laid close to the bus stop she used fyi

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Wet tarmac takes me back to the playground.

Pine takes me back home to Spain.

over a year ago

It's really amazing how our brain connects the two things together 10+ years apart within a matter of seconds

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Turkish delight reminds me of Christmas with my dad.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Fairy non bio. I used to wash my son's baby clothes in it. He's long dead but it used to conjure up the happiest time of my life.

Old Spice and Fahrenheit aftershave. One year I gave my dad Old Spice and my husband Fahrenheit, they each looked longingly at the other's gift...then swapped. Don't smell either much nowadays, but when I do I remember happier times.

over a year ago

Most of the memories I get from smells remind me of my granny. Some of my residents use things she used...Coty Lamont perfume and Lilac talcum powder. I always love getting those residents ready in the morning x

over a year ago

Just happened again when I walked past a pastry shop, brought me back to 2004

over a year ago

Vine fresh tomatoes always take me back to my grandad and his greenhouse full of tomatoes. And petrol takes me back to my first job after leaving school x

over a year ago

The smell of burning reminds me to turn the toast over on the grill

over a year ago

I'm currently emptying my uncle's house after his passing. The smell of the house has never changed since I was little. Very emotional and think he's gonna walk through the door. Very hard to move his possessions & end the memories

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I'm currently emptying my uncle's house after his passing. The smell of the house has never changed since I was little. Very emotional and think he's gonna walk through the door. Very hard to move his possessions & end the memories "

I’ve been where you are, it’s hard, my mum passed two years ago! Some of the things I found in her house were amazing but so emotional and thought provoking too.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Play-Doh always reminds me of school days

over a year ago

The smell of a match just after it’s been blown out and the smell of lemon scented geraniums will always remind me of my grandmother.

The smell of Lynx Africa reminds me of a bit so nice (often use the c-bomb to describe) an ex. Unfortunately it set an automatic defence mechanism in my head, I could meet the nicest person on the planet and if they smelt of Lynx Africa I’d want want to get away from them.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

"It's really amazing how our brain connects the two things together 10+ years apart within a matter of seconds "

Our sense of smell is the most powerful of the five senses.

over a year ago

"It's really amazing how our brain connects the two things together 10+ years apart within a matter of seconds "

That's because the brain has no sense of time... Or what's real and what's not real for that matter. Its why we can still feel embarrassed by something that happened in childhood as it triggers the original held physical response to the event... And why dreams can scare us or 'what if' scenarios make us panic

Xx

Post new Message to Thread