Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A few words of warning.

Jump to newest

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

As a photographer, I have noticed several forum posts whereby people ask for/are offered photo shoots by self-confessed 'professional', semi-professional or competent amateur photographers. I have also seen this service offered on profiles, and have had the offer made to myself directly.

Often, the photographer states that all images will be transferred/given to the subject(s) on completion of the shoot, and then deleted in front of them. Also there is often reference to a portfolio that can be shared prior, to enable the subject(s) to peruse that artists work.

Now, whilst I don't doubt that some of these offers are genuine and above-board (in fact I know that they are, I have a friend here of high integrity and photographic ability that is happy to arrange boudoir and such shoots), I just feel the need to say a few things for the less camera-savvy amongst you who are considering this as a means of obtaining new images. Firstly, a couple of things regarding the images being transferred and immediately deleted:

1) Some cameras have dual card slots. That's to say that images can be written to two memory cards at once. So, you can seemingly see the images be deleted, in camera or on a device such as a laptop, or provide your own card to take away with you (seems failsafe!), whilst a duplicate set remains with the photographer.

2) Many cameras have WIFI ability. So the files can be transferred to a nearby device such as a phone, tablet or laptop simply at the press of a few innocuous buttons.

Onto the next two points. No photographer of reasonable calibre or reputation would a) share all shoot pictures b) share unedited photos. A) A very high percentage of images from any shoot go straight into the bin as they are flattering to neither subject nor photographer. B) Editing forms a huge part of the workflow in digital photography, it is rare if not inconceivable that any of the images you admire have not had some sort of tweaking, however basic that may be.

So, that brings me to shoots whereby it is agreed that edited images will be provided after. A true professional will not offer this service for free; in photography a 'professional' is someone who makes the majority of their income from photography, not simply a 'good' photographer as many believe. There are many brilliant amateur photographers, but in a culture where aspiring and up and coming models are happy to partake in 'time for print shoots' (an arrangement between a model and a photographer whereby the photographer agrees to provide the model with an agreed number of pictures of the best photographs from the session, and a limited license to use those pictures in return for the model's time), you have to question why a photographer would choose to shoot a stranger for little or no return.

Finally, portfolios. If you get so far as to be considering a shoot and therefore are looking at a portfolio, you can take some simple steps to check the photographers authenticity. Firstly, reverse search a sample of the images to check that they haven't been stolen. Also look for watermarks (digital signatures/logos on the work) that don't match each other, or don't tally with your photographers disclosed identity. I have seen examples of both the above in so-said portfolios from people here, in fact I didn't even have to reverse search on one occasion, as the individual was using images taken from the web that were actually shot by a friend of mine.

In summary, I feel that it is important to question a photographers motives, intentions and integrity before willingly undressing for their camera. I have written this not just to try protect individuals but also the reputation of photography as a whole; we have been tarnished by the upsurgence of the GWC's (guys with cameras; from the urban dictionary, "'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera pretending to be a pro/semi-pro photographer). Generally, these types are shooting for their own titillation, most likely the only way that they will get to see a person in a state of undress is by assuming an artistic motivation. This place appears to me to be a prime hunting ground for them. I'm sorry to have wittered on so much and there's no need to reply, but this a subject/issue that resonates strongly with me and I hope that if nothing else, it will make people just that little bit more aware.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm always wary of anyone offering free anything to anyone on here..seems many would use it an excuse to get into the vicinity with someone or as you say, skim photos.

Some interesting facts in there I didn't know though. Useful post, or educational at worst. Ta

over a year ago

Ive had many of these offers here and elsewhere.

I always decline

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Don't tell me that guy I got my wanger out for was fake ffs

over a year ago

"Don't tell me that guy I got my wanger out for was fake ffs"

He wasn't even a guy

By *aucy tiggerWoman
over a year ago

Back where I belong

Many thanks for the advice and a warning to all. However, it's a shame the majority will not see this xx

over a year ago

Sound advice

over a year ago

Useful info thanks OP.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Don't tell me that guy I got my wanger out for was fake ffs

He wasn't even a guy "

Whhhhhhhat

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Good advice.

As an amatuer photographer. With bsc in film tech, so I am 'qualified' in lighting, exposure etc, I don't understand the posts that say they'll hand over the images either, what's the point?

I want to gain experience shooting models, I primarily do street, travel, landscape photography at the moment but I'd like to shoot models.

So I'd want to study any images taken, edit the images, keep some for my portfolio, I'd be looking to improve my skills.

These gwc do give amatuers wanting to improve a bad rep.

over a year ago

"Don't tell me that guy I got my wanger out for was fake ffs"

I sold all the pics to auldwangers.com

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Good advice ..... but some folk are still taken in ....ahhhh well .

over a year ago

To be honest - why do you need a photographer - you can simply use tripods or drones (if outdoors), many cameras have remote control capabilities, or timers.

Perhaps the adverts for photographers is really more about getting a meet - i.e. a foot in the door, and wishful thinking

By *anther PurrrsWoman
over a year ago

the Shadows Purrring or Roaring

I’ve had quite few offers on here myself but declined all. I’ve a fab friend who does some of my pics but at that all is on my phone....

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I always decline anyone offering photography services. Also naked handymen who don’t want anything in return (unless I wanted to). Just an excuse to either get me naked or come round my house and get naked. No ta! My fab friend had a great camera on his phone so I’ll let him take pics and I prefer to pay my handyman and he keeps his clothes on so we both know where we stand.

By *ally_weaverMan
over a year ago

Stoneyburn

There is a well documented predator in the North West kink scene who has thousands of 'friends' on an alt social media site. He bullies and manipulates newbies and will with hold images and threaten to release them unless the model leaves a positive review on his profile. Total scumbag.

over a year ago

very good post.

As a semi pro myself i do not understand why any "pro photographer" would want to work for free anyway.

Having spent time and effort in crafting my art there is no way i would give any of it away.

I don't shoot people anyway so never have and never will offer this service.

A great post by the OP

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I sold all the pics to auldwangers.com "

Where's my half ya pimp

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

He wasn't even a guy "

It wasn't even your wanger

over a year ago

OP. Good post. Good advice.

over a year ago

Any chance of a synopsis?

By *estofbothCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

F here has done a lot of modelling, the industry is an absolute minefield and as OP mentions guys with cameras make up 90% of it.

She only works through an agent or trusted photographers now, but the amount of offers of a “free shoot for her portfolio”, but it has to be nude, that she used to get through her modelling profiles was ridiculous.

The stories she has from some girls are straight scary. One agreed to a bondage shoot, and ended up being groped while hanging from the ceiling in a “studio” (read shed). Another was a bit confused when the “photographer” got naked and started masturbating during the shoot. And these are actual models with commercial contracts etc.

The things newer girls trying to get into modelling as a career get suckered into is even scarier.

For all of these bad experiences though there’s still so much more good, and regardless of experience on either side of the camera you can have a lot of fun with a photographer trying different shots and techniques.

I’d say if you use the same discretion with a photographer as you would with a meet you can’t go far wrong, just accept that the photographer is just a human being on the end of a camera, and either they’re a nice one or a dick.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Hence the reason that Mr is the only person to take my pics.

over a year ago

"As a photographer, I have noticed several forum posts whereby people ask for/are offered photo shoots by self-confessed 'professional', semi-professional or competent amateur photographers. I have also seen this service offered on profiles, and have had the offer made to myself directly.

Often, the photographer states that all images will be transferred/given to the subject(s) on completion of the shoot, and then deleted in front of them. Also there is often reference to a portfolio that can be shared prior, to enable the subject(s) to peruse that artists work.

Now, whilst I don't doubt that some of these offers are genuine and above-board (in fact I know that they are, I have a friend here of high integrity and photographic ability that is happy to arrange boudoir and such shoots), I just feel the need to say a few things for the less camera-savvy amongst you who are considering this as a means of obtaining new images. Firstly, a couple of things regarding the images being transferred and immediately deleted:

1) Some cameras have dual card slots. That's to say that images can be written to two memory cards at once. So, you can seemingly see the images be deleted, in camera or on a device such as a laptop, or provide your own card to take away with you (seems failsafe!), whilst a duplicate set remains with the photographer.

2) Many cameras have WIFI ability. So the files can be transferred to a nearby device such as a phone, tablet or laptop simply at the press of a few innocuous buttons.

Onto the next two points. No photographer of reasonable calibre or reputation would a) share all shoot pictures b) share unedited photos. A) A very high percentage of images from any shoot go straight into the bin as they are flattering to neither subject nor photographer. B) Editing forms a huge part of the workflow in digital photography, it is rare if not inconceivable that any of the images you admire have not had some sort of tweaking, however basic that may be.

So, that brings me to shoots whereby it is agreed that edited images will be provided after. A true professional will not offer this service for free; in photography a 'professional' is someone who makes the majority of their income from photography, not simply a 'good' photographer as many believe. There are many brilliant amateur photographers, but in a culture where aspiring and up and coming models are happy to partake in 'time for print shoots' (an arrangement between a model and a photographer whereby the photographer agrees to provide the model with an agreed number of pictures of the best photographs from the session, and a limited license to use those pictures in return for the model's time), you have to question why a photographer would choose to shoot a stranger for little or no return.

Finally, portfolios. If you get so far as to be considering a shoot and therefore are looking at a portfolio, you can take some simple steps to check the photographers authenticity. Firstly, reverse search a sample of the images to check that they haven't been stolen. Also look for watermarks (digital signatures/logos on the work) that don't match each other, or don't tally with your photographers disclosed identity. I have seen examples of both the above in so-said portfolios from people here, in fact I didn't even have to reverse search on one occasion, as the individual was using images taken from the web that were actually shot by a friend of mine.

In summary, I feel that it is important to question a photographers motives, intentions and integrity before willingly undressing for their camera. I have written this not just to try protect individuals but also the reputation of photography as a whole; we have been tarnished by the upsurgence of the GWC's (guys with cameras; from the urban dictionary, "'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera pretending to be a pro/semi-pro photographer). Generally, these types are shooting for their own titillation, most likely the only way that they will get to see a person in a state of undress is by assuming an artistic motivation. This place appears to me to be a prime hunting ground for them. I'm sorry to have wittered on so much and there's no need to reply, but this a subject/issue that resonates strongly with me and I hope that if nothing else, it will make people just that little bit more aware.

"

omg I'm never having my pic taken again

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Great post. Thanks.

over a year ago

Good advice, I never let others take photos of me. XXX

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think similar filtering of potential meets and photographers should be expected, still with social meets first.

But preferably where the 'photographer' will use your equipment and so you retain even more control than when they use their own. People can benefit from a fantastic photographer (which could be themselves, if self-timing) as it adds a different perspective and more expertise between you. But I'm thinking that most offers of a free shoot are just to make it easier for a struggling single man to get near some clunge.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Interesting marketing approach OP...

Or am I being a tad cynical.

After all im sure I have read it somewhere else before..

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

Thank you for your words of wisdom, OP x

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Common sense springs to mind

over a year ago

Never really looked at it that way - every woman must get these offers. It’s an eye opening post this. Thanks. X

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Interesting marketing approach OP...

After all im sure I have read it somewhere else before.. "

You are being cynical, as I wrote it this morning and unless you're hiding in some corner of my house there's no way that you could have read it before. It was in response to seeing yet another 'I'll give you all the files and delete them there and then' comments, which I just wanted to make people aware might not be the honest and open offer that it appears. Yeah, and then I blathered a bit, as I said it's a subject close to my heart. As for marketing, I'm hardly looking to garner a client waiting list; my main body of work is self-portraiture.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

You are being cynical, as I wrote it this morning and unless you're hiding in some corner of my house there's no way that you could have read it before. It was in response to seeing yet another 'I'll give you all the files and delete them there and then' comments, which I just wanted to make people aware might not be the honest and open offer that it appears. Yeah, and then I blathered a bit, as I said it's a subject close to my heart. As for marketing, I'm hardly looking to garner a client waiting list; my main body of work is self-portraiture."

Strangely it's not the first time I have read virtually identical posts on fab.

Sometimes a memory can be a real curse.

Apologies if my cynicism was apparently misplaced.

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

You are being cynical, as I wrote it this morning and unless you're hiding in some corner of my house there's no way that you could have read it before. It was in response to seeing yet another 'I'll give you all the files and delete them there and then' comments, which I just wanted to make people aware might not be the honest and open offer that it appears. Yeah, and then I blathered a bit, as I said it's a subject close to my heart. As for marketing, I'm hardly looking to garner a client waiting list; my main body of work is self-portraiture.

Apologies if my cynicism was apparently misplaced."

I'm not stupid, and neither are you. Let's lose the 'apparently' here.

over a year ago

Pictures are supposed to be worth 1000 words... Sorry opinion do feel this post is in some way to build up business.... Your profile pictures are less creative and artistic than mine. People if want pictures taken..do it yourself, you dont a professional to take nice pictures of yourself x

over a year ago

"Pictures are supposed to be worth 1000 words... Sorry opinion do feel this post is in some way to build up business.... Your profile pictures are less creative and artistic than mine. People if want pictures taken..do it yourself, you dont a professional to take nice pictures of yourself x"
lol I actually had this thought and bottom line is in this lifestyle if you take pics and allow others to see them naturally because you're proud of them ,then be sure they will be seen elsewhere

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

Had many offers of a free photo shoot. Usually from profile that have terrible phone camera pics all over it. I am usually a bit dubious of their claim to be a professional photographer so declined.

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

Wow. That's the last time I wake up sober on a Sunday morning and decide to offer some advice.

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Pictures are supposed to be worth 1000 words... Sorry opinion do feel this post is in some way to build up business.... Your profile pictures are less creative and artistic than mine. People if want pictures taken..do it yourself, you dont a professional to take nice pictures of yourself x"

I think that you've missed the point, I'm a very well-renowned self-portrait artist, and simply wanted to offer some advice regards photography here in general. Sorry if that came across so badly. I

over a year ago

That’s a great post ! And very useful in case anyone is naive enough to be tempted by such offers

By *he Devil rides outMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Sounds like straight advice from someone trying to help people be aware in situations where they might not have all the answers. Well done Keziah

By *ineMan
over a year ago

Apologies if my cynicism was apparently misplaced.

I'm not stupid, and neither are you. Let's lose the 'apparently' here. "

You clearly over estimate my intellect...

I'm a trogladye of little brain...

Why else would I live in a man cave

By *anther PurrrsWoman
over a year ago

Remembered seeing this thread as I’m just after receiving a holy speel of a message offering a photo shoot.....

needless to say I took heed of what I seen on here..! Thanks x

over a year ago

Guess its one way to let people know your a photographer. Lets face it, if someone invites someone round to there house to take pictures of them then they probably plan on having sex anyway so dont see the issue. Most people on here take pictures during a meet, just how it is. Think the message here should be, dont invite a photographer to your house to take pictures of you unless you plan on sleeping with them. After all, that is the ultimate goal on here.

By *eziah OP   Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Remembered seeing this thread as I’m just after receiving a holy speel of a message offering a photo shoot.....

needless to say I took heed of what I seen on here..! Thanks x "

No worries; happy to have helped.

By *anther PurrrsWoman
over a year ago

"Guess its one way to let people know your a photographer. Lets face it, if someone invites someone round to there house to take pictures of them then they probably plan on having sex anyway so dont see the issue. Most people on here take pictures during a meet, just how it is. Think the message here should be, dont invite a photographer to your house to take pictures of you unless you plan on sleeping with them. After all, that is the ultimate goal on here."

It’s the fact with meets it’s someone you know and trust but someone just offering out of the blue - who knows where pics could end out...!!the whole point of the thread to begin with....

over a year ago

"Guess its one way to let people know your a photographer. Lets face it, if someone invites someone round to there house to take pictures of them then they probably plan on having sex anyway so dont see the issue. Most people on here take pictures during a meet, just how it is. Think the message here should be, dont invite a photographer to your house to take pictures of you unless you plan on sleeping with them. After all, that is the ultimate goal on here.

It’s the fact with meets it’s someone you know and trust but someone just offering out of the blue - who knows where pics could end out...!!the whole point of the thread to begin with.... "

I do get what your saying. The whole point of this site is to be descreet and the last thing you want is your pictures uploaded to other sites and maybe someone you know seeing them but a lot of people take pictures during meets, just how it is and its not always with someone you know well. Just use common sense, thats all im saying.

over a year ago

Good post OP. I will admit I’ve been tempted by these offers. I do appreciate the insight and advice

over a year ago

"As a photographer, I have noticed several forum posts whereby people ask for/are offered photo shoots by self-confessed 'professional', semi-professional or competent amateur photographers. I have also seen this service offered on profiles, and have had the offer made to myself directly.

"

Post new Message to Thread