Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Giving up smoking help.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hiya

Ads has given up biting his nails (huge thing for him) and I said when he originally said he would try that I would try to cut down smoking, it hasn’t happened at all.

He’s gone on a health kick since he was asked how much he weighed for something to do with his stag do, he’s shown such motivation, yet here I am still spending a fortune every month.

My kids moan at me because they are scared I’m going to die, you know what my answer is everytime? ‘I’m going to die of something’ which is an awful way to look at it! Ads says he doesn’t mind but I want to make him proud of me for giving this up but I don’t know how to do it, I really don’t and I was wondering if any of you had any tips that worked for you? I tried vaping about a year ago and couldn’t get in with it.

Any help will be appreciated, I’ve jusy worked it out, with us not having the car too we would be about £250-300 better off a month and you think that would be enough alone.

Thank you everyone xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Cold Turkey worked for me, ohband the fact that I’d just been diagnosed with T2 Throat cancer

over a year ago

To be honest op it doesn't sound as if you're fully committed to stopping so you're doomed to failure already. Maybe you'd be best waiting till your wedding is over with and you're not stressing so much and then you can really give it a go. Good luck though

over a year ago

"Cold Turkey worked for me, ohband the fact that I’d just been diagnosed with T2 Throat cancer "

Hugs to you, my mum had patches but gave up really easily about 20 years back.

over a year ago

Struggling with the fags. The vape has broken. Can someone give up for me?

over a year ago

"Cold Turkey worked for me, ohband the fact that I’d just been diagnosed with T2 Throat cancer "

Oh sorry to hear that. I hope things r ok now.

over a year ago

"To be honest op it doesn't sound as if you're fully committed to stopping so you're doomed to failure already. Maybe you'd be best waiting till your wedding is over with and you're not stressing so much and then you can really give it a go. Good luck though "

I do and I don’t if I’m honest, I keep saying ‘after so and so’ but it always feels like an excuse.

The wedding is very stressful and what with my suspected hernia too now for added stress would having me give up right now be something that I should do? I don’t know.

I want to because it would make my kids and ads proud of me, i’d have more money, I wouldn’t stink (even the old ‘I’m a smoker but I don’t smell’ thing doesn’t wash with me, I know I stink of fags) and ultimately its better for my health.

over a year ago

I stopped 5 years ago by vaping but those cheap little vape pens are useless.

Get a good mod and tank. Start with tobacco flavours and wean yourself across onto fruity flavours. Once you stop associating the taste and smell of a fag with nicotine you're half way there. Next step is to reduce the nicotine in the liquid until you're vaping 0% for a while. After that stop vaping by replacing the vape with sugar free sweets. After I'd bought a good vape I've never had a single drag of a fag in 5 years and now hate the smell . Chat to the guys in the vape shop, usually they're fanatical vapers themselves. Good luck.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

If you truly want to stop, then that desire will drive you to success.

Positivity is a great motivator, once you've decided, saying that you HAVE quit is much better 5han saying that you're trying to.

Cal

over a year ago

"I stopped 5 years ago by vaping but those cheap little vape pens are useless.

Get a good mod and tank. Start with tobacco flavours and wean yourself across onto fruity flavours. Once you stop associating the taste and smell of a fag with nicotine you're half way there. Next step is to reduce the nicotine in the liquid until you're vaping 0% for a while. After that stop vaping by replacing the vape with sugar free sweets. After I'd bought a good vape I've never had a single drag of a fag in 5 years and now hate the smell . Chat to the guys in the vape shop, usually they're fanatical vapers themselves. Good luck. "

yeah I did that and they sold me a ‘good one’ apparently but I wasn’t on as much nicotine as Ads Mum was when she gave up, it just didn’t work with me, maybe I need a better vape? Which one is was I don’t know. Ads mum gave up for two years and was still vaping more than she ever smoked and she said she just replaced one addiction for another (she started smoking again at Christmas which we are all a little annoyed about lol)

over a year ago

"If you truly want to stop, then that desire will drive you to success.

Positivity is a great motivator, once you've decided, saying that you HAVE quit is much better 5han saying that you're trying to.

Cal"

I like that thinking. Thank you

By *ransGuyTV/TS
over a year ago

Cardiff

You've got to want to stop.

You are going to struggle and are more likely to give in to temptation if you don't really want to stop.

I went cold turkey. I always had a pack in the cupboard but that was just to turn the panic "Fuck I haven't got any fags!" into "I have got some, but I'm stronger than that and I don't need them." I turned it into a challenge - I can make it to the end of the week and the box won't be touched."

The longer you can stop the better you will feel. Keep away from temptation if your will isn't that strong and just a whiff of a cigarette will make you light up. Start up healthier habits to replace where you would normally light up. Also watch your weight as it's really easy to just snack instead and end up ballooning.

But you need to want to stop to make it work.

Good luck what ever you decide.

By *ransGuyTV/TS
over a year ago

Cardiff

Sorry, slow typer

By *illyjohnyCouple
over a year ago

brighton

Hi John here I had a 40 a day habit now today at 10:15 am it was 14 days since I smoked . I started taking Champix on December 27th had a few blips along the way but with will power and having Champix as a crutch I'm winning so Nic n Tina aint gonna win this one .

So good luck stay strong and resist the urge to anyone trying to quit

over a year ago

Have a look at the forum "planet of the vapes" get some buying and using advice from people who aren't selling anything. Never had a single drag of a fag for 5 years and feel so much better in many ways.

over a year ago

Go to see the smoking cessation nurse at your local Dr surgery. They will have lots of advice and there are lots of different things to help. They will help you choose which one suits you best. I used the Champix. It still took 3 attempts even though my wife has C.O.P.D. and had a stroke. You would think that would be enough encouragement to quit along with the financial bonus.

You really need to want to give up to stand a chance of being successful.

The person that mentioned waiting till after your wedding if it's a stressful time what with all the logistics, family politics and stuff is right. Being stressed isn't going to help. I think that's why I struggled. On the one hand I had my wife as a reminder of the health problems but I also had to be carer, mum and dad and run a business. The first thing you do when stressed is light up.

Never give up trying to give up though. It's hard but worth it in so many ways.

Good luck

over a year ago

"Hiya

Ads has given up biting his nails (huge thing for him) and I said when he originally said he would try that I would try to cut down smoking, it hasn’t happened at all.

He’s gone on a health kick since he was asked how much he weighed for something to do with his stag do, he’s shown such motivation, yet here I am still spending a fortune every month.

My kids moan at me because they are scared I’m going to die, you know what my answer is everytime? ‘I’m going to die of something’ which is an awful way to look at it! Ads says he doesn’t mind but I want to make him proud of me for giving this up but I don’t know how to do it, I really don’t and I was wondering if any of you had any tips that worked for you? I tried vaping about a year ago and couldn’t get in with it.

Any help will be appreciated, I’ve jusy worked it out, with us not having the car too we would be about £250-300 better off a month and you think that would be enough alone.

Thank you everyone xx"

I have read Alan Carr’s easy way to give up smoking. I am a non smoker. Easiest cheapest way I say. Good luck with it.

over a year ago

I was on 40 to 60 cigarettes a day and had tried vips, chewing gum, patchs, Champix to no avail.

I was eventually prescribed Zyban which worked well.

With Zyban my smoking need over the 10 week slowly naturally decreased.

By the end of the 14 weeks I had stopped.

No effort at all and I would be describe it as 'forgetting to smoke'.

Never went back and never ever had an urge to smoke again.

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I quit before for six years - I went cold turkey except for a book, ‘the easy way to stop smoking’. It worked. I went from 25 a day to nothing. My new job finally broke me last September and I’ve been off and on again ever since. I’m looking to quit again as I’m sick of it - I know a quitting buddy really helps some people. Fancy doing it together Geeky?

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

You have to be really ready to quit otherwise your motivation will fail eventually.

I started smoking at 10 years old and was smoking regularly at 12. When I quit I’d been a smoker for 20 years!

For me it was easy. I had just suffered my 3rd miscarriage. I’d quit when I found out I was pregnant and started again as soon as I lost the baby. I sat there and thought what the hell an I doing? I need to stop this right now and give my body the best chance I possibly can of carrying a healthy baby. My motivation and desire for a child outweighed all the cravings and desire to smoke and I’ve not touched one since

By *thwiltsmMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Alan Carr’s ( not the comedian) book on giving up smoking helped me.

I stopped 8 years ago and have never had an urge since

The book explains how everything you believe about smoking is a myth.

It doesn’t help with stress, concentration or help you relax. The stress and lack of concentration are caused by nicotine withdrawal.

Smoke a cigarette and feel fine after a while the withdrawal symptoms appear and the stress levels build up until you have another, you need to break that cycle and realise smoking isn’t helping you do anything and there are no benefits.

I am a much more relaxed chilled person since I stopped and realising that smoking makes a stressful period of life worse means I have never been tempted to go back

over a year ago

Eat grapes

Takes the craving away

over a year ago

Try smoking cigars instead!

I find I only smoke two or three of the foot long ones a day at most

over a year ago

I watched my mum die of emphysema last year. Trust me, you don't want your kids to see you that way.

If they aren't motivation enough for you to quit, nothing else will be.

over a year ago

"Hiya

Thank you everyone xx"

keep it up its all good ,you're showing your kids a great sample in life ,you're saving money and your lungs may recover ,the will to do something good is all that stands between you and success get your family to get a reward system in place each month that goes by a meal maybe (they pay) each year a holiday maybe ( they pay) and after 10 years a gold watch

over a year ago

"I quit before for six years - I went cold turkey except for a book, ‘the easy way to stop smoking’. It worked. I went from 25 a day to nothing. My new job finally broke me last September and I’ve been off and on again ever since. I’m looking to quit again as I’m sick of it - I know a quitting buddy really helps some people. Fancy doing it together Geeky?"

I think I’m going to wait until after the wedding and set myself a ‘realistic’ goal, also as Ads pointed out, in four months after the wedding we will have half a deposit towards our new place, so that’s incentive alone x

over a year ago

I'm in the same boat at the moment trying hard to stop the vaping helped cut down but I found I've just replaced smoking with vaping I really need to stop my lungs are not good

By *hris 62Man
over a year ago

HEREFORD

Me to ,had to heart attack ,need to stop ,not working ,not helping ,i wish it was easy

over a year ago

One thing that no one has mentioned is changing your routine.

When you smoke, it's a habit. You do it at certain times. Monitor when you smoke. First thing in the morning, every time you have a cuppa, after you eat... And then you need to break the cycle. If you can change your routine you'll stand a better chance of quitting.

Good luck

By *iamond coupleCouple
over a year ago

leeds

"Hi John here I had a 40 a day habit now today at 10:15 am it was 14 days since I smoked . I started taking Champix on December 27th had a few blips along the way but with will power and having Champix as a crutch I'm winning so Nic n Tina aint gonna win this one .

So good luck stay strong and resist the urge to anyone trying to quit "

yes, Champix worked for me also. I had been smoking for 40 years.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I remember being sat in my Dads car during an access visit. My Dad was smoking away me and my brother told my Dad how important he was to us and how much we needed him. We said that we worried we would lose him to something smoking related and he gave up on the spot. He’s awesome.

Be awesome.

By *ookingforlustMan
over a year ago

northants

"Hiya

Thank you everyone xx"

Hi Geeky,

My Mum died 6 years ago from smoking related illnesses. It was a long, painful, and in the end an undignified death. The pain it caused me personally watching her go through the stages of her illness was at times unbearable. The arguments my siblings and I had about everything and anything divided a once strong family unit. We all had an opinion on what was ‘best’ for Mum.

She was 66 when she passed away having spent her last 10 years living a restricted life. The last three years of which were pretty much spent in one room. My sister was her full time carer for those last three years at a great emotional cost to her. Countless hospital visits, three months in I.C.U., phone calls at 2am because Mum was being rushed to hospital (panic attacks caused by her struggling to breathe were always worse at night), being told by doctors that ‘this is the end stage’ and then Mum recovering enough to be sent home.....

By the time Mum passed away we were all emotionally and mentally exhausted. Relationships had suffered. The guilt I felt at being relieved at her passing crushed me.

Smoking is your choice, as it was hers. I would fight to defend the rights of people to be able to choose how they live their lives. But ultimately, at the end of my Mums life, her choices impacted so massively on me and my family.

Sorry if I sound condescending, I don’t mean to. I wish you all the strength should you choose to give up. And if you don’t, then I wish you and your family well. Be happy whatever you choose.

Post new Message to Thread