Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Art and censorship

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So Waterhouse's piece 'Hylas and the Nymphs'is restored to it's rightful place in the Manchester Gallery following protests by art lovers across the globe.

It was removed by the artist Sonia Boyce and her cross dressing cohorts as part of her forthcoming installation and aimed at highlighting 'gender troubles' and the way women were portrayed in 19th century art.

Whilst i can sympathise with her motives i can only perceive this as censorship, though some have claimed it to be merely a publicity stunt. In my opinion art has always been, and so remains, our last bastion of freedom of speech and self expression. To censor it in any way will be the thin end of the wedge that will ultimately bring about the destruction of our civilisation as we know it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Whilst times may be more enlightened now, my view is that we shouldn’t simply ‘erase’ things from history just because we don’t like them.

They form part of our cultural heritage and are part of the journey in getting society to where it is today, and as such should be appropriately accessible.

That said, in this case it probably is simply attention seeking / a publicity stunt.

over a year ago

I’m hoping my latest piece isn’t censored

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Whilst times may be more enlightened now, my view is that we shouldn’t simply ‘erase’ things from history just because we don’t like them.

They form part of our cultural heritage and are part of the journey in getting society to where it is today, and as such should be appropriately accessible.

That said, in this case it probably is simply attention seeking / a publicity stunt. "

It's removal was filmed by Boyce and forms part of her installation. Given the worldwide condemnation this act has received as a publicity stunt i'd say it has been very effective.

Personally i think it's a beautiful piece and as such see no problem with it.

over a year ago

"I’m hoping my latest piece isn’t censored"

Art for art sake

over a year ago

"I’m hoping my latest piece isn’t censored.

Arse for arse sake "

FTFY

over a year ago

"I’m hoping my latest piece isn’t censored.

Arse for arse sake FTFY"

Ha I don't remember those lyrics but I bet I'll be singing it next time it's on the radio

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Publicity seeking and very effective too.

I listened to a piece on Radio 4 about it last week, they even removed the post cards of it from the gift shop. I bet many more people know the name Sonia Boyce now and as importantly the name Waterhouse.

In as much as it got people talking about censorship I think it was a useful exercise.

Post new Message to Thread