Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cameras for birds

Jump to newest

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

We're thinking of getting a video camera to go in one of the bird boxes in our garden so that we can watch the eggs and the chicks hatching next year. Has any one got one as we want to know if they actually work ok? Z

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Are you serious?

over a year ago

Bolton

"Are you serious?"

Yes of course. We have one box in particula which gets used every year by blue tits and it would be lovely to see what's going on inside? Z

over a year ago

Women with cameras?! They'll be letting them vote next!!

I'll get me coat!

over a year ago

Bolton

"Women with cameras?! They'll be letting them vote next!!

I'll get me coat! "

lol - very funny! Z

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

what a lovely idea !!! cant offer any help regards cam ect but please please let us know how you get on !!! x

over a year ago

I don't fancy having a camera fitted in my box!

sorry couldn't help myself

*goes to the naughty step*

over a year ago

Nature Cameras website

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I go to a cam site and we frequently have cams for birds ..in the garden and even one on a donkey waiting to foal there are quite a few on bears and eagles on the net we all enjoy them hugely . i would have to ask around but if you go to www.parrotmag.com im sure people there will advise you as they often put cams in to check on baby parrots.. go for it u will enjoy it.

over a year ago

Sounds a blast...

No idea about the camera..tho it seems Tramar has given you a heads up..

We`re moving from our flat into a house within the next month..the garden is one of the main reasons that sealed the deal fer me....my last property had large gardens, but that had to go....I miss watching the little fellas thru the conservatory windows...

Get my bird tables up pronto fer winter methinks..

By *lutandhubbyCouple
over a year ago

west midlands

you can get little covert ones the size of a pen off ebay very cheap. xxxxxxxx

over a year ago

"We're thinking of getting a video camera to go in one of the bird boxes in our garden so that we can watch the eggs and the chicks hatching next year. Has any one got one as we want to know if they actually work ok? Z"

We hatched chicken eggs in an incubator, was so mezmorizing, especially when they started to hatch, no need for a cam, and fresh eggs afterwards too ... tip top lol

By *oDownEasyMan
over a year ago

Ayrshire

And roast chicken after a short while

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Is there no privicy?

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

We tried setting up a very good web cam in the top corner of a box. Built a small case for it and added it to the main box. Only trouble was getting the focus right! Tried it on automatic, but that scared the birds, so we went to manual but that goes to the setting we set it at before we fitted it!

Got some bad vid, but defo going to try next year, but will stop being so tight and buy a good unit! Good luck with yours Zoe x

over a year ago

"We're thinking of getting a video camera to go in one of the bird boxes in our garden so that we can watch the eggs and the chicks hatching next year. Has any one got one as we want to know if they actually work ok? Z"

It all depends on how far the box is away from the house. you will need some sort of power to run the camera over a period of time and also you need to work out if you are hard wiring (that's determined by the distance) and a camera that transmits wireless signal. the other thing is if the camera needs to be waterproof.

I would suggest getting all this info and go into your nearest branch of maplins and ask the assistants.

over a year ago

Bolton

Thanks for all the posts, we'll definitely get one for next year, it's lovely to see the parents building the nest then feeding them when they hatch and we were lucky to watch them fledge this year too. Z

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

How many people do we estimate read the title, opened the thread and then clicked away...

over a year ago

Bolton

"How many people do we estimate read the title, opened the thread and then clicked away..."

And, your point is? I got some good advice and a pm with a web site to go to. If you're not interested, just don't read or comment! Z

over a year ago

"How many people do we estimate read the title, opened the thread and then clicked away..."

people who think the idea of liking something outside sex isnt an interest???-I like arty stuff...ok sometimes its mixed with sex lol...but theres alot more in life to appreciate than fucking around 24/7 lol...much as i enjoy it

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"How many people do we estimate read the title, opened the thread and then clicked away...

And, your point is? I got some good advice and a pm with a web site to go to. If you're not interested, just don't read or comment! Z"

My point is that the average one handed male will have been hoping for some kind of thread regarding girls using cameras and as such will have been mightily disappointed to discover that the content of the thread was not what they were hoping for.

I personally think it would be quite an interesting thing to film chicks hatching etc.

Hence I didn't make any derogatory comment about the topic, merely added an observation regarding the expected content versus the actual content for the average person who opened the thread.

over a year ago

I will ask a person who knows a person who knows what the right tool for the job is

over a year ago

"How many people do we estimate read the title, opened the thread and then clicked away...

And, your point is? I got some good advice and a pm with a web site to go to. If you're not interested, just don't read or comment! Z

My point is that the average one handed male will have been hoping for some kind of thread regarding girls using cameras and as such will have been mightily disappointed to discover that the content of the thread was not what they were hoping for.

I personally think it would be quite an interesting thing to film chicks hatching etc.

Hence I didn't make any derogatory comment about the topic, merely added an observation regarding the expected content versus the actual content for the average person who opened the thread."

hhahahah sensual calm it!- i wasnt being direct to ya lol

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"And, your point is?"

I beg to differ.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Z. There is a member on here who works in TV and would know for sure the best one. Sadly, they are not in a position to use the net ATM as they`re in hospital after a nasty accident. I won`t name them in the open forum but I`m unable to send you a PM either as I`m blocked from messaging you.

By *urreyfun2008Man
over a year ago

East Grinstead

IP Network cameras are simplest, and some can use your wireless network, and email you pictures when they detect movement. Some will record video clips too.

Power is easy enough, Power over Ethernet, which means the network cable carries the power to the camera. Not all cameras do this.

Loads of birdbox cameras at low prices, but with standard video output, which means limited cable distance, but you can get extenders.

Have used a Panasonic and Sony IP camera, but not for naughty or bird watching. Just property monitoring.

Post new Message to Thread